[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck did I just watched?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: Mulholland.png (163 KB, 260x386) Image search: [Google]
Mulholland.png
163 KB, 260x386
What the fuck did I just watched?
>>
I marathoned the movie a week or so ago still trying to understand it.
>>
>>71645084
A bad movie disguised as a good movie disquised as a bad movie
>>
>>71645084
Kino
>>
File: 1438555597117.jpg (20 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1438555597117.jpg
20 KB, 300x300
>movie called Mulholland Dr.
>there is no doctor in it

fucking david lynch
>>
File: inland-empire.30692.jpg (212 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
inland-empire.30692.jpg
212 KB, 1000x1500
lynch's pleb magnet

try out his true magnum opus
>>
>>71645084
It's about guilt destroying a person.

diane and camilla are real. betty and rita are not.
>>
>>71645249
Thanks anon I'll check it out. Hope it's not fucked up as this one tho.
>>
>>71645293
But who was that dead lady in the bed then?
>>
The first half was a dream she had making shit up for an excuse for having brunette killed.
She dreamed mr. Dopey assassin would fuck it up and everything would be alright but he wasnt so dopey and it didn't turn out so alright.
>>
>>71645312
Its youtube poop tier gibberish
>>
>>71645084
remember seeing this at the theatre with an ex and laughing at how bad it was
>>
>>71645249
Is this really good? I'm downloading it now.
>>
>>71645249
>>71645460
Download link?
>>
Is David Lynch a good director or are people just pretending to seem deep?
>>
>>71645084
great film. i wonder what Lynch had in store if it was greenlit as a series. fucking ABC. i also wonder if he reappropriated any of the material he outlined or had in mind for the series over to the new Twin Peaks season.
>>
>>71645084
you watched a director tricking two beautiful women into getting naked and making out on film and having everyone claim how great of a piece of art it is.
>>
>>71645489
>>71645460

if you haven't watched lynch's filmography, watch it before watching this. inland empire is what he was adding up to for his entire career. it's one of the most baffling and alien cinematic experiences you can possibly watch. if you don't have a base understanding of lynch before watching it it'll be gibberish and complete nonsense.
>>
>>71645578
Both.
>>
>>71645643
i found Lost Highway to be his pinnacle and a far better film than Mulholland Drive. MD gets the praise, though, but i feel it's a lesser cinematic experience. both are great, yet MD has a lot of narrative filler that would have been fleshed out in a series and doesn't really add much to the film. LH is simply perfect, even if the acting isn't as impressive as MD.
>>
>>71645578
Good question.

The thing about it is, there are so many layers of irony.

Truth and untruth depend upon where you fall in the rainbow of irony. What layer are you in?

There is something about it which makes it kind of pretentious, in a way. It's a very ironic movie that pretends to be less (or more, depending on your POV) than it really is. It plays with your perception of what reality, dreams, expectation, and memory actually mean.

It is, at once, surreal, comfy, unsettling, and ridiculous.

It's an experience that doesn't hold your hand through any established territory and instead just puts you in an uncomfortable and awkward limbo.
>>
>>71645802
this
MD is basically a remake of Lost Highway, except for a tv show and more glamour and with lesbians
>>
>>71645802
>>71645888

i agree. MD did feel like a lot of wasted potential. there were so many characters set up that probably would have been more explored in a series, but in the movie they just feel underutilized and/or forgotten. it's great character writing, because everyone in this movie is really fucking interesting. they're just barely in it for more than 5 minutes
>>
>>71645084
it was all a dream, except for the parts where she looks like a junkie, she put a hit on the brunette and was feeling guilty about it.
>>
>>71645355
there was no dead lady on the bead, that part didn't happen in the real world.
>>
It's just the Oscar bait, watered down version of Lynch's masterpiece, Lost Highway.
>>
>>71645084

A mental breakdown. It goes like this:

Diane loves Camilla but Camilla is a power hunger bitch and the moment the Director wants to get on her pants she just discards Diane.
Camilla, being a bitch invites Diane to the production's party and humiliates her. She met lots of people there.
Humiliated Diane hires someone to kill Camilla. The box and the key are a code to let Diane know when the deed is done.

Once Camilla is offed Diane loses it and her subconscious creates a world to protect her from the truth. Betty and Rita work as Diane personality mirrored and fragmented. The rest of the characters are like projections and work pretty close to the way those work on dreams. Names are mixed and information is fragmented.

Betty has her part of the truth and once Rita finds her part she finds herself and can no longer pretend she didn't do what she did.
Her lover is dead and she is responsible.
Diane can't live with that because she's killed an important part of herself so she off herself as well.
>>
>>71646607
How do you interpret the cowboy and the guy who dies after seeing disgusting hobo? And why is hobo at the end of the film?
>>
Perfection.
>>
>>71645620
I don't remember much of that movie, but I do remember her boobs. Those things were legit.
>>
>>71646824

I think the hobo is an abstract representation of "fear". It appears at the cafeteria because that's where she hired the assassin and where Diane picked one of the names of the deconstruction.

The guy that dies is there to explain to us that we are watching some sort of mirror. He talks about his dream, and then we see that his dream becomes "reality" which is like saying "a dream that it's not a dream". So in a way i think you could say he is the "truth". The whole thing is like an abstraction of the fear of the truth.

The cowboy on the other hand is not that relevant by himself. The important thing about him is the phone, the call, the ring... the fact that something is calling from outside the dream. It works like a complex associations of ideas. The cowboy, i think, it's pretty complex because it doesn't represent a cowboy, it's more like a inter-textual reference to the archetype of the cowboy on westerns.
Most times the cowboy is an outsider so you have to make that relation first and then relate that the ringing of the phone to a call (which could be a phone call or just the ring of a door) to reach the "call from the outside" symbolism.
>>
>>71645355
That's Diane's vision of what will happen to her.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.