[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else here think that the Diablo franchise could be turned
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8
File: diablo.jpg (23 KB, 594x334) Image search: [Google]
diablo.jpg
23 KB, 594x334
Anyone else here think that the Diablo franchise could be turned into a fantastic action/horror movie? Especially the first one.

Just rewrite the story a bit, add deeper characters and don't hold back on the gloominess and gore. Would have to be rated R in order to work tbqh.
>>
>>71635885
and at the end of the movie after they killed baal they should just kill him again a few times
>>
>>71636355
kek
>>
>>71635885
I dunno famo, gonna be pretty difficult to explain all the grinding.
>>
>>71636583
And duplicate powerful items
>>
>>71635885

The games have literally no story.
>>
movie ends with the guy duping apoc scrolls and nuking diablo from outside the room.
>>
>>71636753
muh sides
>>
>>71635885
I had the same thought after watching the warcraft movie. It would have to be more full blown blair witch horror style movie
>>
>>71636662
they literally have more story than most movies pumped out of Hollywood within the last decade
>>
>>71635885
Maybe it could be done with D1 or D2 (not LoD) , but they got the same protagonist. The problem is Diablo himself imo. How do you show Diablo without it looking stupid and ruining the film in the final scene? The dread and suspence is what made the games good, but that would all be lost when the hero blasts a fireball at a medium sized godzilla-raptor in the finale.
>>
>>71637346
are you kidding?

like are you seriously kidding?

you are posting on a board about movies and I assume you know at least a tiny bit about cinematography and the important part that lighting plays in it, especially in horror films.

We are talking about a game that takes place almost entirely in a dark dungeon.

Literally all you have to do is not SHOW the monster as much, IE -- shroud it in darkness.

and it's not a raptor. It's more like the conventional Western idea of Satan mixed with a reptilian hodge-podge.
>>
>>71637299
The game had no story until D3, and that was just a REALLY dumbed down version of LotR.
>>
>>71637299
The story isn't good enough to make a stand alone movie out of. The fun gameplay is what drives you forward, the story being decent is just a happy bonus. It would turn into a confusing movie where you have know idea who any of the weird named fantasy cliches are, just like Warcraft
>>
>>71637513
wow.

the amazing part of this post is that you actually believe it.

I have no reply.

I wish you luck. You're gonna need it.
>>
>>71637299
Honestly I fidn't play the game for its story, after sitting down and listening to some converstaions at the beginning I realized the lore was too much and I just wanted to kill things with my friends.
>>
>>71635885
I was recently thinking about it.
It would be hit or miss, either keep it like it really is to appeal to fan or change everything and make a failure. The way you go about it seem about right but you really shouldn't re-write anything.
Bonus points if you make the fight with Diablo feature town portals for maximum cheese (this could actually make a pretty original scene with characters including diablo, jumping from portals to portals to fight).
>>
>>71637571
stay mad sperg. and continue getting blown away by unoriginal "lore" made for 12 year olds.
>>
File: 0780.png (4 KB, 185x186) Image search: [Google]
0780.png
4 KB, 185x186
>go to /tv/
>blizzard fags praising diablo lore
>>
>>71637513
>the game was bad until d3
Literally, and I mean literally, not figuratively, literally, go buy a shotgun right now, kill your entire family, and then yourself. Please. The gene pool has been put through so much already
>>
>>71637729
so edgy Leddit XD
sorry I don't worship your blizzdrone game
>>
>>71637768
Defending d3 makes you a blizzdrone desu
>>
>>71637804
>defending
>called it a shitty version of LotR

Do they not teach reading comprehension to 12 year olds in school anymore?
>>
File: 1449365533627.png (361 KB, 500x438) Image search: [Google]
1449365533627.png
361 KB, 500x438
>main character gets trade scammed out of a legendary mace because he got overexcited while trading and traded for a useless broken mace with the same icon
>>
>>71637497
>not SHOW the monster as much, IE -- shroud it in darkness.

this ain't the fucking 80's kid. Nowadays you have to show the monster. Not always true for horror but a horror Diablo movie would probably bomb. Isn't it an action game anyway?
>>
File: 1317760911557.jpg (105 KB, 580x735) Image search: [Google]
1317760911557.jpg
105 KB, 580x735
>>71637497
No im not kidding, exept for the godzilla raptor part. Your point about lighting is spot on, but the challenge is that 90% of D1 is like that, and the journey down the chathedral is filled with monsters, not just Diablo. My point is that it would either have to be a slasher movie (would prolly suck), or a really really dark horror movie where they show as little as possible, and extend the storyline somehow since they cant show 1,5 hour of killing demons in the dark.

In D2 you have more options atleast, and could prolly get away with showning the journey, cities and so on while the hero looks for the wanderer.

Would be really cool if someone managed to make it tho, just dont see them creating a fantasy movie like Warcraft from the storyline, so it ould have to be something else. Maybe Del Toro could do it?
>>
>>71635885

assassin - Anne Hathaway
barbarian - Tom Hardy
sorceress - Rachael Weisz (Evelyn from The Mummy)
amazon - Emily Blunt
necromancer - Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy from Harry Potter)
druid - Kristofer Hivju (Tormund from Game of Thrones)
paladin - Chadwick Boseman (Black Panther from Civil War)
>>
>>71638037
I. I c-could do it anon. Just entrust all your money to me.

No shit I have a clear vision of how it should be constructed. I really need to start filming shit left and right...
>>
>>71635885
yes, but i'd never trust a hollywood jew or blizzard today, or any plainclothes faggot to do ANY justice for Diablo 1 - 2.

>>71636355
how would they translate Ba'al runs onto the big screen?

>>71636583
they won't, it'll be 8x difficulty with mad drops

>>71636622
8x difficulty but then again, you have a point.

>>71636662
fags like you helped murder blizzard, fucking goyim

>>71637513
people like you are the reasons genocide and death camps exist

>>71637584
people like you are the reason humanity is alone in the universe

>>71637595
or if he cast bone prison to fuck over our adventurers or used red lightning repeatedly on portals

>>71637627
>>71637697
eviscerate yourself

>>71637768
this is a game before the era of blizzdrone, you are too young to post if u don't understand this
>>
File: raw.gif (976 KB, 500x206) Image search: [Google]
raw.gif
976 KB, 500x206
>>71637346
here
diablo from lotr.
also
i think they'd fuck it up as hard as warcraft.
>>
The trick of making a movie liek this work is not the story but the overall atmosphere.

Just make it bleak and desperate as fuck, we are dealing with hell here after all.
>>
>>71638073
Hey I'd pay to watch this.
>>
>>71637497
would be more like a 300 movie. lot of story telling. some gore. mass fighting. maybe give them the whole squad of adventurers.
>>
>>71638382

was doing Baal runs with random group last week. we started talking about movies, fast forward, we start casting a potential Diablo 2 movie and that's what we came up with.

oh, and Deckard Cain - Christian Bale with old person makeup
>>
>>71638037
>>71637992

the way to do this is to explain to the audience that the terror filled catacombs and corridors beneath tristram are filled with the horrors of hell.

the fright of the people, plague, war, famine, are nothing compared to the minions of terror, or the champions of the prime evils.

lazarus would have a major role, as would griswold, deckard, wirt and farnham, considering they saw the butcher first hand. the knights of leoric would have to be mentioned, and how they were cursed to follow in King Leoric's corruption, his madness caused by diablo's attempt to possess the weakened king.

books and tomes would further explain the tale of the high heavens fighting the burning hells. the tale of the lesser evils banishing the prime evils to the mortal world of Sanctuary, resting upon the back of the dragon Trang'oul. how the awesome powers of this world, wielded by bright heroes, can be twisted and made to serve evil. How under the guise of men, angels and demons fight an everlasting battle.

and then, as we've seen the world turn for the worse, we get a glimpse of our warrior of light fighting the shadow. then, we see the full extent of diablos powers wreaked upon the denizens of hell, transforming them and binding the damned to his dark will.
we see those beasts unleashed against our hero beneath tristram. we see his fear, we see the anticipation building, the heat intensify, the light fade.

then we reach the chamber of lazarus and the boy prince, albrecht, surrounded by a foul cabal of demons and succubi.

and through the portal, awaits diablo and his most potent forces yet.

its about sending a message. until we have somebody who knows what D1-D2 are really, truly, essentially about, this movie will by the gods, never be made by unworthy humans.

"few are worthy to stand in its presence. fewer can still comprehend its true purpose"
>>
How would you end it?
I'd roll credits as soon as the protag impales himself with the soulgem.
If it's a party then the leader does it behind everyone's back and for some reason they can't go to him (maybe a powerful magic wind that forces them to hold ground) and then as soon as the leader stop suffering from the fusion he teleports away and maybe have him starting his travel to the east. But it would set up a sequel and I really wouldn't want that. I'd rather kill the (rest of the) whole party by I have no idea how to.

>>71638444
>some gore
dude it's fucking diablo we need at least a 4th of the movie with organic walls and half of it with walls painted red.
>yfw the butcher
>>
>>71637992
>Nowadays you have to show the monster.

Wow really?

Just because that's what people tend to do nowadays doesn't mean that it is the right thing to do.

Thanks for confirming that you are a bonafide idiot. I think we're done here.
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 962x642) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 962x642
Am I the only one that finds Tristram in Diablo really comfy?
>>
>>71638645
>I'd roll credits as soon as the protag impales himself with the soulgem.

you have to include the epilogue. even if it is after the credits.

its important anon, trust me.

the prologue DIRECTLY references the fact in D2 the wanderer goes to Kurast in search of the temple of light in search of salvation.
that DIRECTLY references the fact that is mentioned in one of the tomes how Mephisto, lord of hatred is locked under the tower at travincal.
it DIRECTLY mentions the fact that Marius and the wanderer travel east, and free Tal-Rasha as the embodiment of Ba'al, and eventually far east to Kurast.

im not disagreeing with you, but i like where you're going with this.
>>
>>71638900
I actually thought about keeping the epilogue as the intro for the sequel. I would have more impact imo
>>
East.. always to the East..
>>
>>71638715
shhh... no more words
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET7OEgRgwPU
>>
>>71635885
The Diablo 1 and 2 + lod cinematics together make for an amazing short film. I actually started editing them together myself in premiere. Too bad I can't find hd files for most of them. .
>>
Blizzdrones are legitimately mentally ill
>>
As someone that's never played the franchise, should i get Diablo 2 or 3? or is it not worth 19.99
>>
>>71639018
>Too bad I can't find hd files
>1997 game
>max res was 800*600
you won't find any HD version anytime until blizzards decides to redo them
>>
>>71638949
this is interesting, i've never considered this idea before. it'd be a bit of a flashback tho, or a dream the wanderer has before stepping out of tristram and letting the devils have their way with it.

way before he meets marius and burns down the rogue monastery. i felt it would detract from marius's character, but it'd be well if done right.
>>
>>71639091
Don't bother with 3, play 2.
>>
>>71639091
D3 but make sure you get the expansion too, I'm not sure if it comes bundled automatically or not.
>>
>>71639091
Just start with 3. Diablo 1 & 2 haven't really aged that well, or at least not well enough to be fun for new players.
>>
File: image.jpg (142 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
142 KB, 500x374
>>71639001
>>
>>71639162
Opening sequence. The jump in time would be implied instead of exposed. I fade/open to black would probably do the trick convincingly.
>>
>>71639091
start with D2, and when you've got a feeling for it, play D1, it'll make you appreciate what they did for D2 itemwise, mechanics, gameplay, and expanding the story along with the world.

D1 you can enjoy for the atmosphere, arguably more nuanced dialogue, the first example of lightning in a jar.

ignore Diablo 3. do not buy diablo 3. do not give it your attention or time of day.
>>
I am drunk here is the D2 Cast:

Christopher Walken as Geed

Lucy Lawless as Kashya

Diana Rigg as Akara

Ed O'Neill as Deckard Cain

Gwendoline Christie as the Amazon

Liam neeson as the necromancer

Idris Elba as the Paladin

Whos the Barbarian?

also we need THICK chick for charsie. and thats just the first act.
>>
>>71639243
D3 is a very good game. Don't be such a nostalgiababy.
>>
>>71639319
>you are the cancer that has killed starcraft/warcraft/diablo
>>
File: Wikia_MWC_-_Ed_O'Neill.jpg (12 KB, 214x314) Image search: [Google]
Wikia_MWC_-_Ed_O'Neill.jpg
12 KB, 214x314
>>71639311
>Al Bundy as Deckard Cain

he certainly is old enough. Might add some comedy.

IF they make a Diablo movie i hope they dont take themselves too seriously. This was one of the flaws of the Warcraft movie.
>>
>>71639359
Not him but he's correct.
D3 was garbage at launch, with shit like the real money auction house.

Reaper of Souls improved the game 10-fold. Take off the nostalgia goggles.
>>
>>71639091
2 with expansions is the better game

But vanilla 3 > vanilla 2
>>
>>71635885
if a proper diablo movie is to be made, some feelings of helplessness, powerlessness, loss of hope, loss of XP, powerful loot and items to be gained over the risk of certain death needs to be implemented. the idea that certain monsters are tougher than others and require different strat or lucky level placement should be considered.

we can't have everyone just be strong and faultless or the movie will stagnate by the half point.
>>
>>71639533
this thread is for proper game-movie adaptations. not failed sequels that based items over stats.

D3 still doesn't have a skill tree, or stat allocation

QQ more you shill
>>
>>71639533
I mean, be honest with me here, is it really that much better?

I played D3 at launch and I was VERY disappointed with the whole thing.

Are you seriously convinced that it was THAT improved, or do you just have fairly low standards?
>>
>>71638949
in the sequel, you could imply or introduce PVP before the main events of D2, with glorious ears.

or characters declaring their love for another by dropping ears at their feet.
>>
>>71639649
I'd see it as a full party including hellfire's monk.
Kill one at the butcher, kill two more during Diablo's fight. Protag left alone can become new diablo with no worry.
I'm >>71637595
>>71638645
finally found a way to do the proper ending!
>>
>>71639872
too meta, also human x human would distract from the main plot, which is heavy enough already, and I don't think anyone, including fans, would sit through two hours of a hack and slash movie.
>>
>>71639907
Btw I'm wondering. Should I kill the nigger or the woman first? knowing his death will trigger the party's awareness of the gravity of the situation and make them get their shit together to not die (until diablo)
>>
You fucking uncultured people. The cinematics are *masterful* storytelling. But no, it's gotta be about meme characters from d2 and your favorite classes defeating a bad guy. Also quips amirite guys?

It should be one movie. A party defeats diablo in tristram, warrior is corrupted by Diablo and plunges his soulstone in his forehead. Rogue becomes blood raven, sorcerer becomes the summoner.

Second part should be about the journey of marius.

Then an epilogue about the defeat of the prime evils.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.