[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Preacher
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 9
File: preacher.jpg (75 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
preacher.jpg
75 KB, 1200x630
Well, the last episode was clearly the best of the show so far. The fight at the beginning was hilarious. I hope that tone can continue throughout the show. I'm quite looking forward to seeing what happens to Eugene.
>>
Yeah, I was still into it, but getting a little bored, but after last night's ep I'm fully back on board.
>>
>>71632851
It was also nice to finally see Jesse have a personality.
>>
File: 1455080835865.gif (337 KB, 288x340) Image search: [Google]
1455080835865.gif
337 KB, 288x340
Literally why the fuck is the mayor covering for Odin?

Shit doesn't make any sense
>>
>>71634464
the town is dependent on Odin it seems. and at this point he would be complicit
>>
why was cassidy hiding in the closet?

is he a literal faggot?
>>
>>71632851
I was about to watch this until I learned that Seth Rogen was involved.
Is it good enough to overlook that?
>>
hell yeah it gets better and better
best new series for sure
>>
>>71635406
>Is it good enough to overlook that?

yes

WEED LMAO is one of three developers for the show, he's a small part of the overall production
>>
Will we see Grandma, Jody, TC, etc. this or next season?

And how much of The Saint's background has been shown thus far?
>>
Really enjoying it. Want to read the comic now. The last preacher line gave me goosebumps.
>>
>>71635325
why does everyone want to be Jesse's friend so bad? He's a shit.
>>
Sjw the show
>>
>>71635971
Do so, the comic is really good. It's deliberately edgy but has a very liberal, humanistic message overall, which I guess is why it's hated by some
>>
Is Cassidy secretly a spy for the demons? Does Odin know about the underground natural gas pocket?
>>
>>71636065
>liberal, humanistic
Dropped.
Liberalism is dumb.
And Humanism is a terrible philosophy.
>>
So why did Odin kill the Green Acres folks?

How does that serve god?

Genuinely confused
>>
>That childlike realization he forgot his keys in the diner
>That acceptance when he realizes its not the towels

Fiore has quickly become my favorite character.

>>71635899
They 'streamlined' his origins but kept the keypoints; the fever, trip to Ratwater, becoming stranded and returning home too late. The last we saw of him, he was gearing up to return to Ratwater for vengeance.
>>
I can deal with the fact that this is pretty much Preacher in name only, but it stands up well as a stand alone?
I was cautious at first, but sounds like the show has found it's stride now?
>>
>>71637053
Yeah playing a pure and sinless angel character can be tough but I like the whole childlike angle he's taking.
>>
>>71637153
It took it's time to set up, but last night's episode was perfect.
>>
File: 1461513387967.gif (1 MB, 245x118) Image search: [Google]
1461513387967.gif
1 MB, 245x118
>no, you need angel hands
>>
Gotta be honest, I didn't like the first 5 episodes because I was hoping for a faithful adaption, but the last one was fun.
>>
>>71637886
>muh tenders
t-they'll survive to season 2 right?
>>
>>71637030
We'll see, but it's possible he considers money/his business as God.
>>
>>71638060
well they can't actually die, so I'd assume so
>>
>>71638212
what did they do to that chick angel to stop her? i didnt catch what the tall one said
>>
>>71635863
i knew something was a bit off about this show, now i know why.
even though it has 10/10 cinematography,characters,environment.. pop culture references make me sorta irritated.
>>
>>71638255
cut off her arms and legs

he "disarticulated" her
>>
>>71638212
But someone who can kill them will be along soon.
>>
File: Susan Seraph.jpg (115 KB, 736x705) Image search: [Google]
Susan Seraph.jpg
115 KB, 736x705
>>71638060
I'm expecting one of them is going to be killed by the Saint to showcase his Walkers and what they can do. So unless Susan or another Angel comes into play by then, I'm thinking Fiore is going to get put down. He's gotten the worse of just about every encounter so far, building up that audience sympathy.
>>
>>71637956
>faithful adaptation of Preacher
>on AMC

1-800-COME-ON-NOW
>>
Why didn't Jesse use the Word on the angel woman?
>>
>>71638255
Dismembered her I assume.
>>
>>71638314
>I'm thinking Fiore is going to get put down.
Pls stop
>>
>>71638212
They can die if killed by the Saint of Killers.
>>
Why did they make a big deal about being called 'custodians'/glorified babysitters instead of guards? Aren't they essentially guards?
>>
File: Aztal.jpg (112 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
Aztal.jpg
112 KB, 512x512
>>71638408
I need to stop coming to these threads. I don't read the comics so I don't know any of this stuff.
>>
>>71638350
Shit, he clean forgot about it.

>>71638365
I'm sorry.
>>
>>71638350
>Why didn't Jesse use the Word on the angel woman?
He didn't need to. He told her to look at the phone and she did out of a female naivety that transcends heaven and hell.
>>
>>71638457
Eugene is already gone.
Please let the last pure character of this show live.
>>
>>71638714
I now want Satan to be so revolted by his appearance that he sends Eugene back to Earth.
>>
>>71638714
I don't know about the comics, but he seems like a pretty detailed character. I would be surprised if he was totally gone already.
>>
>>71638891
I'm sure he's coming back. I think he's a pretty big part of the comics.
>>
>>71638278
References like what?
>>
>>71638891

in the comics he becomes a rock star and suffers the same fate as Elvisthen he meets an inbred cyclops girl whose eye interprets things wrong but she sees him as incredibly handsome and falls for him
>>
>>71637030
WE BECAUSE WE GROW OR WE DIE

YE'H
>>
>>71638060
The saint will kill them. His guns can kill anything, including divine beings.
>>
i wonder if eugenes the trigger that gets the saint off his ass. the angels seem hesitant to call him
>>
>>71638314
He's certainly the more impulsive, less capable of the two
>>
It's sad to say that I think a lot of the disdain for this show come from two points;

It's not faithful to the comics, which is mostly a good thing since Ennis is a hack

And it's taking its time building characters rather than just bumrushing through development and it's too smart (somehow) for most people trying to watch it.

Let's face it, the people that will be attracted to it were the edgelords that could unironically enjoy the comic, and the show is trying to be smarter than they were.

Let's just hope it doesn't devolve into feminism and toxic masculinity bullshit between Tulip and Jesse like the last 50% of the comic.
>>
>>71639009
He was a running joke in the comics but did have a complete story, just unfolded as a side story without being all that related to the main plot.

>>71639044
Not that guy but the only ones I recall are the movies Cassidy rattles off as possibilities for how Jesse got The Word. But even then they felt entirely in character for me, Cass wasn't taking the whole thing seriously until he started seeing what it was doing to Jesse's head.
>>
>>71638350
because she didnt know about genesis,
>>
>>71639044
Cassidy said in the second episode, "I think The Big Lebowski is overrated".
>>
>>71638350
It was explained that no one knows Genesis is gone yet and if he uses it on another angel the jigg is up for them. She was there for them, not him.
>>
>>71639103

Gentle reminder Cassidy was shot by the SoK in a super early issue and lived
>>
>>71639146
There's an entire bit of Cassidy retelling a movie scene for scene in a bar to a drunk guy.

The Genesis reference was straight from the comics.

The Nirvana sticker in Eugene's locker was a reference to why he shot himself in the show.

The source material itself had fucktons of references, especially topical shit.
>>
>>71639120
in the comics the angel that wakes him up is immediately killed
>>
>>71639009
>muh duh
>muh vuh guh
hopefully he has a more coherent plot this time
>>
>>71639183
I think the shots have to be fatal. Then again nothing seems fatal to Cass as long as he can drink blood
>>
>>71639248
Says in the comic that no matter where he shoots someone, they'll die.
>>
>>71639146
what movie did the angel brawl remind him of before Jesse told him to shut up?
>>
>>71639183
he's already dead, anon
>>
>>71639248

>I think the shots have to be fatal.

EVERY shot from the Saint's gun is a kill shot no matter what, in the Abrams tanks versus SoK section he shoots at one and he hits a shell that was about to be reloaded killing everyone inside

But like I said it was early in the comic.
>>
Tulip's arts and crafts episodes are da' bomb
>>
>>71639301

Brother, he killed Satan, is this some kind of reverse Supernatural Colt shenanigans
>>
>>71639352
>early in the comic

And that's the key here, Ennis hadn't fully decided on the limits of the Divine Walkers at that time, he's mentioned he would have changed the scenario if ever there was a reason to rewrite the series as a whole.
>>
>>71639453

>STAY AWAY FROM MY BOYFRIEND! >:(

Fiore should have picked her up by the scruff of her neck and tossed her nymphlet black ass out on the street.
>>
>>71639453
Tulip is a qt
>>
What story lines do you guys expect to see?

They pretty much confirmed Angelville with the tattoo comment.
>>
>>71636204
How is humanism dumb? It's a perfectly valid world view.
>>
At fucking last, things happened.
>>
>>71639582
Probably everything except Jesse becoming a sheriff in that town since they moved Quincannon during the start of the series.
>>
>>71638408
I expect a third one to come from heaven, call them useless etc. and then die after he wakes up the Saint of Killers.
>>
>>71639890
Humanism is not a philosophical stance on anything. It's not very well defined by any measure and therefore not rigorous. It's closer to a collection of sentiments than any philosophy of worth.
>>
>>71640060
While it had some good moments, that whole arc felt like filler anyway.
>>
>>71640142
Most everything after Masada felt like filler if you ask me.
>>
>>71637886
I was so confused by that until I saw the handprint sensor thing on the phone cover.
I wonder if that old man working that machinery is heaven's dispatch then.
>>
I didn't know what to think about this before because the protagonist had no personality or drive to do anything but now that he's starting to act selfish I'm getting hella Shin Megami Tensei vibes what with a human receiving divine powers and getting caught in a timeless conflict between heaven and hell.
I'm pretty stoked tbqh.
>>
That episode was great. Glad to see other shows having great fight scenes besides Daredevil and Arrow.
>>
>>71640804
>makes a reference to video games as to why he's hype
>can't see that they're building up tension and reasons for the way he acts
>can't see the subtle hints from episode 1 on as to why things are happening

/v/ everyone
>>
Daily reminder that Quincannon does indeed serve God. But the god in preacher is not who everyone thinks he is. Some benevolent good god. He is not
>>
File: 1440199785894.jpg (70 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1440199785894.jpg
70 KB, 500x500
>GO TO HELL, EUGENE
>>
So, what's up with that fuckin Praire Dog mascot? Why is he always around? Did Jesse at some point tell him something like "Keep walking"?
>>
Did they ever explain what ass-face did? He obviously caused the girl to be brain dead, but did they say how?
>>
>>71642627
seeing eugene with tears welling up in his eyes caused me physical pain
>>
>>71642912
Not yet, just mentioned his suicide attempt in passing conversation.
>>
>>71642912
i'm guessing his suicide attempt indirectly caused her to become comatose which is why he tries to be so relentlessly chipper about life, he feels too guilty to attempt suicide again.
>>
If that one guy was aware of how Jesse was able to control his mind, why doesn't everyone else?
>>
OMG I would be totally fine to never have to see Eugene ever again even if it meant we don't see hell in the show, fuck me

great scene tho and loved the opening fight as well, this show pretty much rocks if u don't read comics like some nerd
>>
>>71634464
He is complicit, and there is apparently only one big company in the town. Losing it to another town would cause it to become the new Detroit.
>>
>>71643554
The one other guy figured it out, but just about everyone else that witnessed it was under its effect.
>>
>>71642912
What I gather is that they were involved in an accident that people thought he was responsible for putting her in a coma, so he tried killing himself out of shame.
>>
>>71643554
Pedophiles have mindcontrol awareness, it's their superpower. Of all places, I'd think that here people would know that.
>>
>>71643554
If you mean Donny then that's because he has seen it in action multiple times. The entire bit at the gas station as well as Odin's drastic change of behavior while only a small portion of the town proper saw it used on Odin. But since they weren't targeted directly, they didn't pick up on what it does.
>>
>>71643554
>If that one guy was aware of how Jesse was able to control his mind, why doesn't everyone else?
bus driver and eugene both knew Jesse did something to them and he almost told bunnyman who despite rumors and appearances is happily married with a good job to kill himself in a dirty stall.
He isn't really sneaky about his power either.
>>
>>71643752
But when people do the things he says, don't they think after about why they do the things they did? Or is it like a spell?
>>
>>71643857
They're aware of exactly what theyre doing, they're just forcibly compelled to do it.
>>
>>71643952
They quite clearly aren't conscious of what's happening
>>
File: preacher-collection6.jpg (294 KB, 793x1221) Image search: [Google]
preacher-collection6.jpg
294 KB, 793x1221
>>71639582
War in the Sun never ;__;
>>
Show needs more Saint of Killers

Best thing so far
>>
>>71643857
>>71643999
I figure it depends on how far detached the order is from their own personality. For example (in the comics anyway) people don't give it much of a second thought when the commands are simple. But longer or elaborate orders give the person time to realize something isn't right and the same goes for completely illogical orders; for example Jesse told a number of police officers to drop their guns and one of them later made it a point to mention how they simply could not disobey. Then there was a character told to count three million grains of sand and he did exactly that, it took him the better part of a year and it traumatized him. By the time he finally completed the task and got back in touch with an associate, all he could talk about was how he could not stop counting no matter how badly he wanted to
>>
Not a fan of how quickly Tulip accepted the existence of vampires. I can't remember how it was in the comics (after Cass gets a knife in one of his eyeballs and tears into the guy's throat), but it just felt weird, like something was missing.
>>
>>71644438
>but it just felt weird, like something was missing.

Maybe because her character from the word go is super duper big balled badass who don't scare
>>
>>71644438
Classic Tulip was pretty indifferent on it at least on the outside though she kept on edge around him for awhile. I think what is missing is TV Tulip still doesn't know about The Word which Cassidy used to put things into perspective when Jesse got on his case about being a vampire in the comics.
>>
>>71637030

i thought he could withstand jesses command, maybe jesses command got neutralized after a while so he had his free will back and iced them.

or its something up with god, like if he disappeared or his will is confusing or tomething. or maybe it is real that he considers something else as his god.
>>
>>71638278

yea the popcult references feel out of place. as in pandering to some young teens that have seen that old flick the big lebowski from the 90s or know that theres once was a band named genesis so they can feel retro
>>
File: 1438910035056.png (483 KB, 497x732) Image search: [Google]
1438910035056.png
483 KB, 497x732
>>71642627
>>
File: arnold.gif (842 KB, 350x260) Image search: [Google]
arnold.gif
842 KB, 350x260
>>71642627

>mfw
Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.