[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is the most misunderstood filmmaker of our generation?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: gl.jpg (40 KB, 576x324) Image search: [Google]
gl.jpg
40 KB, 576x324
Who is the most misunderstood filmmaker of our generation?
>>
Not that guy.
>>
>>71621843
he's quite an idiot film maker but did well on a budget and made a good deal for merch. savvy but needs to be kept in check.

I'd say Wes Craven.
>>
>>71621843
I'll go for Hrmony Corine, in the sense that people think there's some hidden meaning to his garbage when it's just clearly style over substance.
George Lucas isn't a filmmaker. I'd label him a producer if I was feeling generous.
>>
File: 872960-uwe_boll_finger.jpg (73 KB, 476x470) Image search: [Google]
872960-uwe_boll_finger.jpg
73 KB, 476x470
>>
>>71621950
Kek.

Seriously though, is Rampage actually good, or is it just good in comparison?
>>
>>71621843
He's autistic, so he definitely is misunderstood but not in the way you think.
>>
>>71621843
He directed 2 good films out of 6.

He's had better success at writing and producing.
>>
>>71621843
Sofia Coppola
>>
>>71622892
American Graffiti
Thx
First Star Wars

three good films, two of them are in the National Film Registry, and he's contributed significantly to the creation of a few other films that are in the NFR.

I think in the case of Lucas, he's someone who isn't a natural storyteller in the sense that a Tarantino or Milius or whoever is (i.e. someone who can just come up with and write stories). In the case of Lucas, he had a few stories in him, personal stories, and once he had written those, that was that. He probably isn't compelled to write stories the same way others are.
>>
Zack Snyder
>>
>>71622825
It's his best film, that isn't saying much though.
>>
>>71624073
>THX

Mate...no. It's abysmal.
>>
>>71622892
>He directed 2 good films out of 6
Willow and Empire Strikes Back?
>>
Roman polanski. He was just taking her temperature.
>>
>>71624073
>>71624073
>In the case of Lucas, he had a few stories in him, personal stories, and once he had written those, that was that.
Nigga most of his stuff is rooted in other people's work to an extreme extent. Star Wars was just a remake of his favorite Kurosawa films with Moebius aesthetic.
>>
>>71624073
>>71626088
Editing is what made Star Wars good.
>>
>>71626088
most artists' work is somehow rooted in another artist's work. It doesn't make any of those films any less impactful and influential.

I wouldn't say that American Graffiti or THX were rooted in other people's work to the extent that Star Wars was, though.
>>
>>71621843
Paul Thomas Anderson. Plebs hate him, and the people that do like him do it for the wrong reasons.
>>
>>71626323
>It doesn't make any of those films any less impactful and influential.
Oh I didn't mean that. I just meant that it wasn't really that much of super personal story. It's just a compilation of other people's work into one very exciting film.
>>
>>71622825
It's passable, like a solid C- for an action movie.

>Refn
Got ahead and crucify me, I don't care. He has a great eye and makes films where the story is told through the framing itself. I can't stand how people think he's pretentious when this is what film is all about.
>>
>>71625619
THX is pretty good fäm
>>
>>71621843
Lucas. People thought he was a great director because he had someone else heavily edit a New Hope, and didn't even direct Empire.

Although I think after people saw the prequels they understood what a hack director he actually is.
>>
>>71626544
Well, that's Star Wars. I mean Lucas himself admitted he didn't think it would become that big or anything, just a silly kind of adventure story.

But American Graffiti definitely is a personal story, and THX to a large extent too. And you could ague that SW is also in the sense that the films and stories he is referencing have a very special place in his heart.
>>
>>71621843
He had a lot of input on The Clone Wars and thst was turning out brilliantly before Disney went all Order 66 on existing projects and almost anything prequel related. Maybe the prequels were a cry for help and he really wanted to be making actual cartoons.
>>
File: image.jpg (262 KB, 1440x612) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
262 KB, 1440x612
Dialy reminder the Revenge of The Sith is a flawed masterpiece and is easily the best big budget movie of the millenium.
>>
Michael Bay. People say he's stupid but he knows exactly what he's doing.
>>
>>71627457
>A few decent shots make up for a shit movie
Doesn't help that the majority of that image is rapidly aging CG.
>>
>>71627457
No that's the worst
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.