[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Explain the ending of The Shining to me.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 206
Thread images: 24
File: 1462791881387.jpg (21 KB, 560x395) Image search: [Google]
1462791881387.jpg
21 KB, 560x395
Explain the ending of The Shining to me.
>>
He had become The Shining
>>
losing credits or end credits are a list of the cast and crew of a particular motion picture, television program, or video game. Where opening credits appear at the beginning of a work, closing credits appear close to, or at the very end of a work. A full set of credits can include the cast and crew, but also production sponsors, distribution companies, works of music licensed or written for the work, various legal disclaimers, such as copyright and more. Some long-running productions list "production babies".

The closing credits are usually typed and appear in white lettering on a solid black background, featuring no sound effects or dialogue, only a musical background, sometimes the works' theme music. Credits are either static and flip from page to page, or scroll as a single list from the bottom of the screen to the top. Occasionally closing credits will divert from this standard form to either scroll in another direction, include illustrations, extra scenes, bloopers, joke credits and post-credits scenes.
>>
Time is a flat circle anon
>>
>>71609659
It was all just a dream
>>
Jack became the Overlook Hotel.
>>
>>71609659
He was the caretaker.
He was always the caretaker.
>>
Why is he doing the baphomet hand gesture?
>>
They were setting things up for the sequel
>>
he had to forget about it, because it was chinatown
>>
>>71609722
Oh.
>>
>>71609659
Either the hotel absorbed him og he was a reincarnation of a former resident/staffmember
>>
File: nigger.jpg (62 KB, 488x663) Image search: [Google]
nigger.jpg
62 KB, 488x663
Explain the bathroom scene to me
>>
He was a spirit that the hotel sent out into the world to get Danny into the hotel so it could kill him.
>>
>>71609659
redrum
>>
>>71611544
it was the cook
>>
File: shining.png (438 KB, 1080x400) Image search: [Google]
shining.png
438 KB, 1080x400
Explain this scene to me
>>
>>71611706
you must be a fucking idiot, scene was to show that the moon landing was fake
>>
>>71611706
Furries pressured Kubrick back then to be represented in Hollywood.
>>
File: BRAVO Kubrick.jpg (473 KB, 1000x749) Image search: [Google]
BRAVO Kubrick.jpg
473 KB, 1000x749
explain this scene
>>
>>71611860
what was the helicopter shadow supposed to represent?
>>
>>71611918
God
>>
>>71609775
I think this is actually accurate. It kind of possessed him in both life and death.
>>
Something to do with Jack, spirits, and the previous owner of the Hotel who murdered his twins that Danny sees.
>>
did jack have the shining too. did the kid plot to kill his dad from the beginning and shined him into madness
>>
It was all a dream
>>
>>71609659
Don't know, but the fact that he's using the Hermetic symbol "as above, so below" might be a key in deciphering it. 2001 is basically a huge nod to the Gnostic understanding of creation and technology.
>>
>>71611918
The Helicopter only shows up in the video releases, since when show in theaters they use a matte to cut the tops and bottom of the screen off to cover stuff like that and boom mikes. So it was never intended to be seen, and it really isn't a mistake either since it was standard to use a matte.
>>
>>71612340
jack had the shining, the nigger cook told the kid some people cant control it and become bad
>>
>>71612413
Is this true?
Makes sense, and it always seemed so weird for someone like Kubrick to not notice that or let it slide on a "fuck it" kind of attitude
>>
>>71612699
the helicopter is the key to all this.
>>
>>71612699
no, name another movie where cameraman shadow or boom mics can be seen
>>
>>71609722
Wow
>>
The hotel is built on an Indian burial ground, Jack was the caretaker in the 20s and was reincarnated, just like Grady, the last caretaker who killed his family. Grady was reincarnated as the butler.

The twins are Grady's murdered daughters.
>>
Black cook survives and cucks jack's wife.
>>
>>71612760
perdita durango
>>
>>71609659
"You have always been the caretaker" (to Mr. Torrance).
>>
In the end all work and no play made Jack a dull boy. I thought this was clear.
>>
>>71609659
The Jews drove Jack insane and then absorbed him into the past after he froze
>>
>>71609659

he's experiencing an after life, the guy that communicates with danny is living
>>
>>71609659
I thought the ending was metaphorical, not literal, showing how he's just like Grady who came before him. But now in retrospect, I'm thinking it's literal...

Another possibility is that the hotel "absorbed" him into the image. It is haunted after all.
>>
>>71613180
>I'm thinking it's literal...
It is because theres a deleted scene where wendy talks to the hotel manager at the end and he tells her they cant find Jack's body
>>
>>71611706
I've read the book. I forget who the man getting blown is, pretty sure it's not the president, but he is an important figure. Might have been the hotel owner.

The "bear" is actually a dog. The guy getting blown would make the "dog" guy do embarassing tricks in front of people. They're kinky fuckers.

I actually feel useful for once.
>>
>>71609722
underrated
>>
>>71613229
So the hotel absorbed him into its past, instead of him being Grady?
>>
>>71613244
Can't remember either, but yeah, it was a dog. Where jack takes a drink in the movie, there's a party where there are some furries, I think.
>>
>>71613229
It was deleted, though. They could easily have thrown that scene in and didn't. Where do you think that leaves your theory?
>>
File: the_shining-237x237.jpg (93 KB, 620x463) Image search: [Google]
the_shining-237x237.jpg
93 KB, 620x463
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>71613435
Yeah. The book is really fucking good. There are some important things in the book which are left out of the film.

The biggest thing which comes to mind is the fact that Jack abandoned his writing project and instead began trying to write a non-fiction book about the history of the hotel. As a result he collected newspaper clippings and that kind of thing. There's a popular theory about the movie which I also can't remember right now, but when you know about the newspaper clippings it debunks it.
>>
when you die there, your soul forever remains with the hotel, hence him being in the photograph
>>
>>71613461
>Where do you think that leaves your theory?
It leaves me correct
>>
>>71609659
The whole thing was a hallucination, none of it was real, none of it happened.
>>
Other movie facts:

Stanley Kubrick TORTURED Shelly Duvall (Wendy Torrance). You will find him mocking her even in the movie itself. For example, check the scene with Danny in the psychiatrist's office and look at the Goofy doll in the background, which is wearing the same outfit as Shelly's character.

The real room in the book is 217 (IIRC). The reason it was changed to 237 wasn't because of some conspiracy theory, it was because the hotel really had a room 217 and thought people might be put off of staying there if they labelled it room 217 in the film.

The weapon in the book is a mallet not an axe.

Jack Torrance has severe daddy issues.

Tony might be the future version of Danny, can't remember now...

I should probably read the book again.
>>
>>71613554

reminder the film has nothing to do with the book at all

the film is about the break down of the american family unit. jack is an alcoholic who molests his son and abuses his wife

there are no ghosts

wendy seeing the bear is her coming to the realization that her husband made their son blow him
>>
>>71613549
best scene
>>
>>71613549
>Wendy? Darling? Light, of my life. I'm not gonna hurt ya. You didn't let me finish my sentence. I said, I'm not gonna hurt ya. I'm just going to bash your brains in! Gonna bash 'em right the fuck in!
>>
>>71613710
I buy the breakdown of the American family unit bit, but the rest sounds a little dubious. I'd be interested in hearing you expound on this theory though if you've got more to say in the way of substantiating it.
>>
>>71613873
best quote
>>
http://www.christianhubert.com/writings/smooth_striated.html

The hotel was a smooth space (see Rob ager's video on how the hotel's space shifts and moves). Jack thought he could control it (see the scence in which he lords over the maze, he thinks it is a logical striated space). In the end he gets fucked since the maze is actually a smooth space. Danny knows its a smooth space so he out smarts Jack by improvising.
>>
>>71613689
>Tony might be the future version of Danny, can't remember now...
He is, the sequel book doctor sleep confirms that
>>
>>71613710
I doubt it... I have read the theory and the bear references... But that bear is a dog. I know the movie isn't an exact replica of the book, but it's not an entirely different story (á la Lawnmower Man). The blowjob scene is an obvious book reference IMO. Otherwise it's coincidentally very similar.
>>
>>71613878
its not really dubious the film is very self explanatory

who hurt danny in room 237? obviously not ghosts, fucking jack did.

he has had a history of abuse before and his talk with danny on the bed is creepy as fuck and implies he has had sexual relations with him

thats why danny calls tony 'the boy who lives in my mouth' because jack has been making him suck his dick

jack isnt being possessed at the end with the axe, hes just drunk because he brought his own liquor
>>
The Overlook hotel "absorbed" Jack into it's history. Same with it "absorbed" Grady.
>>
>>71613549
That whole scene brought back memories of my parents, minus the physical abuse. My dad was the master of verbal antagonizing, and my mom was a pushover, and would often get brought to tears.

The part with Jack seething about "did you ever think about ME?!" is the same way my dad would argue against my mom.

I'm starting to think he was influenced by Nicholson growing up
>>
>>71613943
I almost don't want to read that book. The Shining was so perfect as a standalone, Jack Torrance is my favorite villain of all time and the best character in the book. I don't think it's possible for King to make the original book any more poignant, but could certainly ruin it with a shitty sequel.
>>
File: The_Shining_(miniseries).jpg (38 KB, 340x465) Image search: [Google]
The_Shining_(miniseries).jpg
38 KB, 340x465
Proof that just because an adaptation is faithful to the source material doesn't mean it's good or better than a previous attempt.
>>
>>71612413
>>71612699
The movie was always intended to be open matte
>>
>>71609836
As above, so below.
>>
>>71614022
Ive always been tempted to watch that just to see how much different and worse it is
>>
>>71609659

LE ENDING

ENDING@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>71614022
Well certain tweaks needed to be made such as the hedge maze. It makes for a far better movie that way...

But I mean the miniseries had no chance of competing with the movie anyway... Jack Nicholson IS The Shining, in fact, all of the characters and even Kubrick come together in the most perfect harmony. You can't replicate that. The setting, everything.

Now as for the weapon... The mallet works better in the book and is more frightening as a mallet... But in the movie an axe works better, because there's no room for author adjectives to build up our terror of the blunt trauma weapon.
>>
File: 1421397556897.jpg (238 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
1421397556897.jpg
238 KB, 800x533
>>71613554
One big thing in the book that wasn't in the movie is that Jack wasn't all evil, he tries to fight the hotels corruption till the end. King wrote it at a time when he had just become a father and he was also battling alcoholism, so it makes sense that the book was largely about a man who wanted to be good to his family but would end up slowly succumbing to evil. The movie does a lot of good things with visuals and suspense, but it's a shame just how gutted the characters and story are in comparison.
>>
>>71614067
I don't remember much of it but don't go in thinking of it as "worse". It's different... It's not as amazing as the movie, but not many things are. It's worth a watch.
>>
>>71613710
Sounds more like your pedo incest fantasies.
>>
>>71613965
Hmm. I don't know.

>obviously not ghosts
How'd Jack get out of the pantry?

>his talk with danny on the bed is creepy as fuck
A lot of what Jack does is creepy, it doesn't necessarily imply anything sexual as much as I'd usually believe it coming from Kubrick.

>he brought his own liquor
I don't think there'd be any reason to keep this hidden from the viewer were it the case. Maybe that's not a case against its plausibility, but still, I'm skeptical. It's an interesting theory. I do like the idea of Tony being Jack's dick. That's kind of funny.
>>
>>71612760
blade runner
>>
>>71609734

why flat?
>>
>>71613689
>it was because the hotel really had a room 217 and thought people might be put off of staying there if they labelled it room 217 in the film.

The Overlook hotel isn't real.
>>
>>71614008

reverse that for me and we have the same story
>>
>>71614013

Doctor Sleep is fucking awful. I hated every single page of it.
>>
>>71614240

The sad thing is that it had so much potential. Instead we got "Shining vampires" and muh alcoholism.
>>
>>71614022

>More faithful
>Completely re-writes the ending into some stupid saccharine sweet everyone is happy version

Hated it. Also King's dialogue is really awkward when read out loud. I was practically cringing everytime he screamed "little pup" (which was a lot".
>>
>>71611781
hur dur i watched a documentary about the shining
>>
>>71614269

I don't think there was any potential. The story was told and we didn't need to know anymore.
>>
>>71614022
Honestly I like the miniseries better than the movie, but it's not really a horror movie like Kubrick's is. It's best to go into it with the mindset that for the most part the only real similarities it has with the movie are the names of the characters and the setting.
>>
Jack became The Shiningâ„¢
>>
>>71614222
I know... I'm referring to the hotel they used for the movie exterior shot.
>>
>>71614231
your mom was the alpha of the house?
>>
>>71611706

it's a scary mask
>>
File: 1418082451988.jpg (89 KB, 526x600) Image search: [Google]
1418082451988.jpg
89 KB, 526x600
>>71611794
>>
>>71614327
Not a Nicholson fan? The Shining just isn't the same without him. What a perfect actor for the role.
>>
>>71614008
even this scene as well
>>
>>71609659

The Jack Nicholson character in that photo is the original caretaker, and a tormented soul/demon/etc. Imagine another actor playing Jack Torrence up until the moment he enters the lobby for the interview - from that point on the original caretaker begins to take control over him.
>>
>>71614375
Nicholson was perfect for the role of Kubrick's Jack Torrence, but not Kings. Both actors did a great job with the roles they had.
>>
File: 1421977197499.jpg (58 KB, 468x423) Image search: [Google]
1421977197499.jpg
58 KB, 468x423
>>71612860
this
>>
>>71614460

He could have been perfect, the problem is he starts off seeming crazy right from scene 1, we never see the kind loving Jack that he was at first. Even Kubrick admits this was a mistake.
>>
>>71614282
I was cringing more at the awful hedge animal CGI, ghost makeup and the tryhard attempt at making the bath tub lady scary. Also the unintentional comedy like Wendy slipping on a ball.
>>
File: 1464589431074.jpg (35 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1464589431074.jpg
35 KB, 540x540
>>71614352

She's psychotic and abusive.

My father ended up being a pushover, probably because didn't know how to handle her. Grew up in a small town, everyone else had normal lives/wives, but he caught a crazy one.

I have a lifetime of scarring memories ever since I can remember of my mother having top-level insane ward freakouts since I was just a child. This was normal for me at age 5. She would give me 3 hour long lectures about how the world will end and how will i support myself when they are gone, I was around 10 to 12. She would hit me when I did things wrong. Teenage years, the psychological abuse only got worse.

She set a lot of really bad things in my life into motion.

She also turned my father into a distant asshole in the process because he couldn't handle a son while also stomaching a wife that has borderline personality disorder, bipolar disorder and violent outbursts.

I wrote a movie script around this relationship I have with my parents. It was probably the best part of my healing process.

My family is fucked.
>>
>>71613549
>Kubrick made every member of the cast and crew be cold to and ignore Shelly Duvall just to break her down and make her feelings of isolation real
Based
>>
>>71614460
Very true... But Kubrick's version is better for the screen, while King's version is better for the written word.

The book did need a faithful movie/tv series, and it got it... And it's good. But nothing tops Kubrick's version. I was such a big fan of the movie growing up, people called me "Here's Johnny!" in school from time to time.
>>
>>71614513

And they didn't even do anything with the hedge animals. They didn't attack Halloran like they were supposed to.

Overall it was a good effort but they still compromised way too much. Much like the IT made for TV movie.
>>
>>71613612

must be nice to have all those buddies

son of a bitch, i've never been able to bring myself to watch this

does anyone remember the rocko's modern life tribute? i had no idea what it meant as a child - it was absolutely terrifying. i feel like that counts as a viewing.
>>
>>71614497
Yeah... I agree. And as mentioned by another poster, it would have been better if we saw Jack trying to resist the hotel. Then again, I think we do see that in some ways. For example, when he is upset about "dreaming that he killed Wendy and Danny". This shows his human side and his love for his family as the hotel tries to take him.

The boiler ending works better for this (book ending), because we see Jack willingly sacrifice himself to save his family. Instead of what happens in the movie where he dies while still actively trying to murder his son. I prefer the maze ending regardless (also wouldn't want to see Michael Bay explosions in The Shining so that's another plus point for the maze).
>>
File: nkhEBJj.jpg (268 KB, 1000x1070) Image search: [Google]
nkhEBJj.jpg
268 KB, 1000x1070
>>71614542
>>
>>71613710
This. The book is a completely different narrative.

I agree that the film is implying that he sexually abuses his son, or at least leaves it open to interpretation. There is a lot of dumb misdirection and senseless crap and The Shining is probably my least favorite Kubrick film. Its too many geniuses spoiling the soup, both have interesting directions but when mashed together for the same story its not cohesive. I really wish Kubrick had done his own original story that incorporated his vision rather than jump on King's work.

Imagine if the Pet Semetary film had been about a man coming to grips with loss, a troubled marriage, childhood abuse as an overarching theme rather than just a well made horror film.
>>
>>71614632
>>The boiler ending works better for this (book ending), because we see Jack willingly sacrifice himself to save his family.

Except in the book he is still trying to save the hotel when it blows up and even thinks he has succeeded. The only thing he does to try to save his family is smashing his face in so Danny won't recognize him ( a scene I am really sad didn't get into the movie).
>>
>>71614614
>does anyone remember the rocko's modern life tribute?
http://rockosmodernlife.wikia.com/wiki/Uniform_Behavior
Yup
>>
>>71609775
>>71609683

The paranormal hotel absorbs him after he freezes to death

Same with the former care taker who killed his wife, his twin daughters, and himself after committing suicide
>>
>>71614542
Sorry bro. seems like you had it worse than me. Once i got to my teen years I started distancing myself from him. I still visit him and act curteous, but I will always defend my mom against him.
My dad was verbally abusive in a old-school way. he didnt hit us with a belt or anything, but he made sure his voice was loud. he would go off on my mom for little things, and end up making all of us kids run upstairs to hide. My mom tried to argue back but she was a poor debater, and always lost. I coulnt figure out if my dad was bipolar or what, because other times he was a great father and did wonderful things for my mom.

anyways, nicholson's anger scenes in this movie just are uncanny to my dad's own behaviors
>>
>>71614654
>Imagine if the Pet Semetary film had been about a man coming to grips with loss, a troubled marriage, childhood abuse as an overarching theme rather than just a well made horror film.

Might not have been a bad thing to be honest, if done right (the troubled marriage bit at least). But everyone knows the crowning moment of that film is when Gage gets hit by the truck and you see his sneaker on the road.
>>
>>71614675
>The only thing he does to try to save his family is smashing his face in so Danny won't recognize him
Wait, Jack smashes his own face in?
>>
>>71614675
Right but that was after the hotel completely possessed him and there was nothing left of Jack. His last action before he got assimilated was scrape up enough love for his family to mutilate himself and tell them to get out.

In the novel we can see the literal evil cloud that possess people including the nice Uncle Tom guy who manages to shake it off. Jack had a lot of demons of his own and stood no chance against the hotel. His book version is way more likable and tragic than the immediate assholeishness that Nicholson brought to the role.

>>71614726
Well, there is a little bit of that but I am just saying that when you add too many "deep" elements to a horror you can end losing its cohesion and effectiveness.
>>
>>71614749

Yes. In the book when Jack corners Danny with the mallet Jack is fighting for control of himself. He tells Danny to run but Danny won't because all he sees is his dad who he still loves. So Jack manages to take the mallet and smashes his face in so that all Danny sees is the monster from his visions, so Danny runs.

Right after the ghosts remind Jack about the boiler and he tries to stop it but it explodes just as he's dumping it.
>>
>>71612760
I could only think of The Room, so back to square one; if not this >>71612413, then what's the metaphor behind the helicopter?
>>
>>71614793
>His book version is way more likable and tragic than the immediate assholeishness that Nicholson brought to the role.

Completely spot on, which is why I'll never like the movie as much. Jack is arguably King's best and most realistic character so it's kind of gutting to see him get completely done wrong in film.
>>
>>71614796
The boiler exploding was so much better than the arbitrary freeze thing. It really drives home the point that Jack become something that lives and dies with the hotel and its a dramatic moment that you can easily see being great on screen.
>>
File: 1359173427609.jpg (86 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1359173427609.jpg
86 KB, 300x300
>>71614705
>>71614641

Thanks bros.
>>
File: 1463677643776.jpg (849 KB, 3135x3918) Image search: [Google]
1463677643776.jpg
849 KB, 3135x3918
>>71611544

I know, he should have said double nigger.
>>
>>71614820
On the subject of gutted characters, Carrie is another tragic character that really got shafted in the film. Following her thoughts throughout the book and up to her very last moments was the best thing about the entire story.

That fucking final scene in the book where Sue has to experience death second hand because Carrie won't let her out of her mind was so fucking wrenching, especially with how she admits how it was the most horrifying part of the ordeal.
>>
>>71611706
She can see the hallucinations too, at that point she doesn't stop to think that maybe she should apologize to jack for ever doubting him, if she just told him then the whole thing would be over, but she really is selfish.
>>
>>71612413
So what you're saying is Kubrick is a hack?
>>
>>71614848
A tacky explosion would have completely ruined the movie. It also would have meant we wouldn't get the great maze chase scene because we'd instead be down in a boiler room.
>>
>>71614964
Huh? She couldn't stop Jack at that point, he was completely insane and controlled by the hotel.
>>
File: 1415563882358.png (45 KB, 238x230) Image search: [Google]
1415563882358.png
45 KB, 238x230
>>71615026
>he hates explosions in climax of films
>>
>>71615026

No, instead we would have gotten a much more dramatic Jack and Danny chase seen ending in a very tense and very emotional confrontation between the two.
>>
>>71614542
I grew up with a bipolar father and a scared mom. He comes from a very drunk family as well so he'd come home and beat my mom until I got big enough to where I would provoke him so he'd beat me instead. He really reminds me of jack torrence and the guy from amytiville horror. Not a lot of things get to me but when I watch family guy on the off chance and peter makes a joke about wanting to fight chris when he's drunk or yell at his kids because he's drunk, that really gets to me. Sorry for blogging I've repressed my childhood and don't think about it that often
>>
Why didn't the Shining just possess Wendy too?
>>
>>71615112
Michael Bay fan detected
>>
>>71615112
of course, they are cliched as fuck
>>
Explain the ending of Eyes Wide Shut to me

did they pull that last dialogue out of a children's book or something? I've seen it 3 times and still can't make any sense of that scene. Who talks like that?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ5bS3_BCDs

>Oh, look what you've done to this rock 'n' roll clown
>Oh Oh, look what you've done
>Photograph - I don't want your
>Photograph - I don't need your
>Photograph - All I've got is a photograph
>But it's not enough
>>
>>71615367
Eyes Wide Shut was so bad, that Kubrick strategically died before anyone could criticize it.
>>
>>71614705

jfc are you me? my dad turned to a drunk when i was in high school and would always berate us for not having money problems. one thing i'll never forget was during christmas morning and my dad went on his usual anger tirade while everyone was in tears since we don't know if he'll hit us or not. afterwards he quieted down and our relatives came down to visit. everyone saw us a happy family.

fuck this shit. i don't know need this now. thanks for relieving my past wounds assholes ;_;
>>
>>71609722
definitively underrated
>>
>>71615291
The Overlook didn't possess Wendy because she's a stable character. Jack is a troubled alcoholic with an abusive history.
>>
>>71615367
The daughter is kidnapped by Jews at the end while the parents remain oblivious.

Seriously.
>>
>>71615509
is there anything thats not the Jews fault?
>>
>>71615459
sorry bro, didnt mean to bring back bad memoires
>>
>>71615291
Sexism. Only men can be easily manipulated by outside forces
>>
>>71615557
Well they also murdered Kubrick and cut out part of the film after his death.

Not to mention every other terrible thing ever.
>>
>>71615509
no she's not
>>
>>71615718
Yes she is. She walks off with two (((men))) from the first party scene.
>>
File: 1463121686861.gif (1 MB, 323x290) Image search: [Google]
1463121686861.gif
1 MB, 323x290
>>71615557

no, and duh, and get smarter
>>
>>71615778
nuh uh
>>
>>71615799
uh huh
>>
>>71615868
just watched it. Doesn't look like that at all
>>
>>71611781
lol'd hard
>>
>>71615903
Watch it again, she's in the background following two men out before they all walk out of the shot.

Those two men look like (it's hard to tell) two men sitting together at a table during the first party scene.
>>
>>71615996
she's just walking around
>>
>>71616074
Behind two old men in a toy store who look suspiciously familiar

>it's just a coincidence!

Right, Kubrick wasn't some insane control freak prefectionist or anything...
>>
>>71609659
cyclical violence

Like the rest of the movie
>>
>>71616120
your theory is dumb
>>
>>71615137
Well whatever you think of the ending of The Shining, at least he got it right with A Clockwork Orange. Who the fuck wants Alex to become good?
>>
>>71616178
You just can't analyze film, sorry. I mean I had to literally spell out the ending for you and you're still scratching your head. Try starting with tv and working your way back up.
>>
>>71616187
Anthony Burgess cucked Alex so hard I am surprised it didn't end "I viddied the black man fuck my wife real horror show."
>>
File: file.png (1 MB, 1024x755) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1 MB, 1024x755
tl;dr

Jack sold his soul for a drink because he's an alcoholic who injured/molested his son in the past and chose the woman over his family in Room 237. That's how the hotel was able to cross over into the real world. Danny could see the spirits because buildings shine like people. It is insinuated Jack's alcoholism cost him his job, strained his relationship with his family, and he turned to writing, but couldn't even do that. He became psychotic and narcissistic at the hotel trying to make something of himself after he stopped being a teacher. That's how the hotel was able to cross over into the real world. Danny could see the spirits because buildings shine like people.

>>71613965

It was the old woman, how the hell did his wife know to tell Jack?

Jack went into the room, saw the woman, and picked her over his family. He embraced evil.

>>71614006

This. The hotel was haunted and shined. The Shining is not at all complicated to figure out once you look at it from the perspective of Kubrick shooting it exactly as he intended. Everything is in the movie.

>>71615291

She didn't sell her soul to the Overlook Hotel.

>>71611706

Then the hotel became alive and Wendy saw the spirits and everything else.

>>71615367

It is insinuated Jack is impotent and can't satisfy his wife. Both had their fantasies and his wife said they just need to fuck.

>>71615509
>>71615868
>>71615996
>>71616120

Stop being retarded.

Those two guys were in the beginning of the film, and were probably keeping an eye on Dr. Bill.
>>
>>71615291
My theory is that she does see the ghosts she just prefers to remain in denial to benefit.

Room 237 was the ultimate trap of knowledge. Wendy acts too scared and needs a man to go assess the big dangerous world which predictably corrupts him, the test proves to wendy that he is a cheater. But when he comes back and lies about what she knows then she alleges abuse.

What else could she have expected him to come back with after visiting 237? that something supernatural/scary is there, that would make her feel better? she should have left asap if she suspected abuse.
>>
File: 1345353119658.gif (947 KB, 285x235) Image search: [Google]
1345353119658.gif
947 KB, 285x235
>>71616336

>"I viddied the black man fuck my wife real horror show."

This was funnier than it should have been.
>>
>>71616388
And Bill's daughter follows them out at the end. She is literally nowhere to be seen in the final shot.

Also the tigers that they are looking at in the toy store are the same ones the hooker that Bill visited had.

I'm tired of explaining this film to plebs
>>
>>71613244
Yeah, the older guy is Harry Derwent, the hotel owner in the fourties, but he wasn't actually being a kinky fuck, he was doing his best to get rid of his sort of former lover. It's explained in Before the Play, the prologue, along a couple of other short stories, including one about the founder of the hotel and one about a scene in Jack's childhood.
>>
>>71616388
The whole Jack molested his son thing is reading in to it too much. He says in the movie he was drunk and angry at him for messing up his paperwork, so hurting him physically is much more likely than anything sexual
>>
>>71616388

not Jack, Bill.

>>71616463

There are no Jews that rape her. Stop being retarded.

>Also the tigers that they are looking at in the toy store are the same ones the hooker that Bill visited had.

The daughter is being groomed for that lifestyle throughout the film.
>>
>>71616498
>The daughter is being groomed for that lifestyle throughout the film.

Exactly, her following the men from the party where Bill helped that fucked up whore is further reinforcing that. I never said they raped her. I like to think they're Jews, but use whatever name you want.
>>
>>71616481
He broke Danny's arm.
>>
>>71609659
The moon landing was real after all.
>>
>>71616561

Or she's just out of shot.

The Jews are keeping an eye on Bill. They are in the beginning of the film at the party.
>>
>>71611706
Pretty sure it's about Danny being molested by Jack, which is hinted at throughout the movie.
>>
File: Guysinstore.jpg (127 KB, 500x278) Image search: [Google]
Guysinstore.jpg
127 KB, 500x278
>>71616627
It's too much for me to dismiss it a coincidence when it comes to Kubrick. The man was insane about detail. You believe whatever you want but obviously it makes sense with the themes in the film
>>
File: Guysattable.jpg (40 KB, 448x249) Image search: [Google]
Guysattable.jpg
40 KB, 448x249
>>71616716
Same guys at the party
>>
>>71614008
>>71614542
>>71614705
>>71615459
I had a great childhood and both my parents are functional, happy people
>>
>>71616716
>>71616750

Not that guy but that's pretty hard to dismiss.
>>
>>71616716
whats the significance of all the christmas tress in the movie? Almost every scene has one in the background somewhere
>>
>>71616716
>>71616750
Or maybe they just used the same extras in two scenes.
>>
>>71616758

clap clap clap. here's your (You)

happy now?
>>
>>71616821

Again, in another movie I'd buy that. But not Kubrick.
>>
>>71616806
Every place except the mansion and a few other shady rooms (Ziegler's bathroom with the fucked up hooker and his billiard room I believe)

There are probably a few others I didn't catch
>>
File: shelley-duvall-987231.jpg (90 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
shelley-duvall-987231.jpg
90 KB, 1600x900
>>71611706
Since she only saw the hallucinations towards the very end of the movie, does it mean she had a point where she lost her mind too?
>>
>>71616821
Come on do you know anything about Kubrick as a director?
>>
>>71616806

supposed to represent innocence or something.
>>
"Suck my cock, Stephen King."

- Stanley Kubrick
>>
>>71616865

No the hotel simply was too strong at that point.
>>
>>71616865

No.

The hotel came alive. The nigger cook says places shine like people.
>>
>>71616865

Dobby has no master! Dobby is a free elf!
>>
>>71616822
Yes, as a child, an adolescent and now as well
>>
>>71616463

how many times did you watch it/how much analysis did you read before you noticed those 2 guys?
>>
File: leelee.jpg (369 KB, 1920x1088) Image search: [Google]
leelee.jpg
369 KB, 1920x1088
>>71617197
how fucking hot was leelee sobieski in this film, christ.
>>
File: 1456369459378.png (645 KB, 830x1262) Image search: [Google]
1456369459378.png
645 KB, 830x1262
>>71616865
>not ashing your cigarette when appropriate
It's like she wants to get ashes all over the place.
>>
>>71617197
I always go for the craziest analyses first so I found out about the guys pretty quick. Doubt I would have caught them on my own but I watch for it now.

Anyways it really fits in with the other things that I think are happening in EWS so I agree that it's more than a coincidence. EWS is such a fun movie because there's so much shit going on that it can be interpreted in several equally valid (imho) ways.
>>
>>71609836
It's a common occult hand gesture that the bophamet picture adopted.
>>
If Jack was truly reincarnated by the hotel, how the fuck Jack managed to live 40 years in the real world, why didn't he come back to Overlook way earlier, and how was the hotel so sure its prodigal son would ever even come back?
>>
>>71612760
Josey Wales
>>
>>71614131
It's kind of corny, there are embellishments in the teleplay that weren't in the novel, and the kid is insufferable. But it's an okay adaptation if you have five hours to kill. Steven Weber is actually pretty good.
>>
>>71614542
Lol fag
>>
>>71617854
He wasn't reincarnated, he was always a part of the hotel.
>>
>>71609659
Who was phone?
>>
Having read the book as well I really like both versions. Jack in the book comes off a lot more sympathetic but Jack in the movie comes off like a realistic portrayal of an abusive drunk asshole who tries to hide it in public. He reminded me a lot of my dad with that rage and unpredictability of a drunk just bubbling underneath the surface, ready to come out at any moment.
>>
>>71616427
left to where exactly?
>>
>>71618507
That's what reincarnation means, you plonker.
>>
>>71618874
I hope see why the Kubrick adaptation is a superior form of art. Just look at how many people have recognized the character in their own lives.

I don't know if Kubrick hated the drink but he sure hated drunk fucks. There's no sympathy for alcoholics or any drug addict and this film is testament of that.
>>
leonardo dicaprio was the original caretaker
>>
>>71609722
this joke was done by weird al on the cbb tv show first
>>
>>71612860

Wait, so there were two caretakers in the 20's?
>>
>>71612760
black dynamite :^)
>>
File: 1b6.gif (1 MB, 446x469) Image search: [Google]
1b6.gif
1 MB, 446x469
>>71616664
>>
>>71617854

It's possible he had to reach the appropriate age before he returned, maybe the age he was in the photo.

I can't quite remember but 1921 might have been the year he died originally, so he gets brought back in 1937, which would have been the year Nicholson himself was born. I don't know how old Jack Torrance was supposed to be, perhaps younger than Nicholson himself.
>>
>>71613899
what the fuck am I reading?
Thread replies: 206
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.