[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /tv/ hate Marco Polo?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
File: Marco.jpg (54 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
Marco.jpg
54 KB, 640x427
Why does /tv/ hate Marco Polo?
>>
Whos this Finnish gent?
>>
>greatest conqueror of all time
>let's focus on some foreigner white guy

the chinese made Genghis Khan tv series is superior
>>
>>71553079
It's not bad but every character is kinda boring except Kublai Khan.
>>
>>71553115
The show is called MARCO POLO, not Gengis Khan you dumb mongoloid.
>>
>>71553079
Not sure, I love how Netflix has a decent program with decent fight scenes and a decent plot. Decency is not a bad thing because it leaves room to impress
>>
>>71553206
This. The show is good in an artistic sense and the fight scenes are fun but you don't really grow attached to anyone and the dialogue is solid but dry. I wanted to like it more than I did.
>>
>>71553115
>italians
>white
>>
>>71553115
>Genghis
>Marco Polo

You fucking Amerifat, Marco Polo met with KUBLAI not Genghis.
>>
>>71554345
Fuck you
>>
File: mongol people.jpg (2 MB, 1163x2858) Image search: [Google]
mongol people.jpg
2 MB, 1163x2858
Reminder that Finland did nothing wrong.
>>
File: Donte.jpg (42 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Donte.jpg
42 KB, 1280x720
>>71554415
>>
I watch a ton of Chinese and Korean period pieces and everyone speaking english is too off-putting. Same problem with the Crouching Tiger sequel.
>>
same people who love bvs
>>
>>71554471
that was glorious, where is it from?
>>
>>71554934
so people with taste in good tv shows and movies.
>>
>>71554471

Okay, the Mongols did an impressive job of conquering, but it's always jarring to hear someone glorify a people who couldn't maintain a unified empire for more than 60 years. They weren't "more than human," their leaders just as easily succumbed to the same corruption that everyone else does: greed.
>>
>>71554345

how the fuck are we supposed to know? all Finns look the same
>>
File: 139521257087.gif (918 KB, 349x198) Image search: [Google]
139521257087.gif
918 KB, 349x198
>S2
>>
>>71553115
>muh white guy
The series is called Marco Polo and not Genghis Khan for a reason, dimwit.

>Marco Polo
>Not one of the most relevant medieval figures from an historical viewpoint
>>
File: le gwailo face.jpg (111 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
le gwailo face.jpg
111 KB, 1920x1080
You can actually pinpoint the second his heart rips in half
>>
I watched the first season when it came out like two years ago, and pretty much forgot everything that happened in it.

Started watching the second season today, looks like they turned up the degeneracy factor 200% to compete with Lame of Thrones. Arab villain is actually a guy who fucked his mom and likes to get pegged
>>
>>71554471
Nice read.
>>
File: Screenshot 2016-07-01 11.03.26.png (326 KB, 746x610) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-07-01 11.03.26.png
326 KB, 746x610
>>71557188
I felt bad for him, but this scene was far worse.
>>
>>71560013
muh heart, that was a difficult scene to watch
>>
>>71557414
Said the same thing about the pegging bit, but where is the part about his mom? i mustve missed it
>>
>>71560013
fuck man, that scene alone made me more than a tad bit depressed, i was so fucking sleep deprived when that shit came on
>>
Cause I have to close my eyes every time I watch it
>>
>>71560013
He was so cute, too
>>
>>71560135
when he fucked that arab whore in the brothel. afterwards she started to hymn a song she made for him when he was a child. both thinking the other was dead
>>
>>71560130
>>71560161
>>71560179
Am I bad? Is that why I have to die?

I legitimately cried. And then when he ran up to hug Kublai and started bawling, it was too much.
>>
I like how every depictions of the Mongols the creators of those shows refuse to acknowledge that they were masters at genocide. There is a reason why huge swaths of land in the Eurasia region is inhabitants, even to this day. They're also the reason why fucking extremists Islam become a thing. Why Pakistan is populated by Muslims and not diverse as it once was before the Mongols. These guys changed the course of genetic history for humans. The European empires of later don't even come close to what the Mongols did to humanity. Too bad we won't see the conquest of Baghdad in this show.
>>
I watched the first season like a year or two ago. I don't really remember anything about it, but I remember wondering why I actually watched the whole thing. Iirc there was just a bunch of dumb anime shit with things like a blind kung fu master.
>>
>>71560511
The princess that marries the Khans son is the last of her people.
>>
>>71553115

Genghis Khan died almost 30 years before Marco Polo was born.

Fucking retard.
>>
>>71553079
Marco is the least interesting figure in the show by far; either its due to his performance or his only motive seeming to be "get money and get laid" which would be fine if he was charismatic in anyway.

Other than that the show is just a really odd balancing act of historic fiction, costume drama, and chinese style over the top action and it never blends well.

If they went either full costume drama or full asian action it could have worked out a little better.

As it stands most of the performances are good (probably would have been if they were done in the actors native languages) and the sets, costumes, and overall look are spectacular.
>>
>>71561449
That's because the show isn't about Marco Polo, it's about what Marco Polo sees while he is in the court of Kublai Khan. The viewer is the real Marco Polo.
>>
>>71561449
>his only motive seeming to be "get money and get laid"

what?
he doesn't seem to be greedy in any way, getting laid yeah but I don't see the greed if anything he is stupidly loyal to the Khan for basically no apparent reason apart from daddy issues
>>
>>71553096
it's a mongol, not finnish
>>
Khan guy was charismatic but dropped it after LE WISE ANCIENT NINJA MAN
>>
File: 3237398399299484939.jpg (12 KB, 255x245) Image search: [Google]
3237398399299484939.jpg
12 KB, 255x245
>>71554471
>feeling sorry for the extinction of a violent group of subhumans that set back humanity everytime they destroyed a culture
>christian missionaries are worse than human but murderous savages are okay
>>
>>71554471
>Only two of their campaigns failed: the attacks on Java and Japan
Wrong
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tr%E1%BA%A7n_H%C6%B0ng_%C4%90%E1%BA%A1o
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_B%E1%BA%A1ch_%C4%90%E1%BA%B1ng_(1288)

There's a reason some consider this guy the greatest general of all time
>>
>>71561449
Most of the actors are british or americans
>>
>>71561529
This. It's shocking how many people miss the point that Marco Polo is the viewer's self-insert. You're supposed to be seeing all this new and fresh for the first time like Marco with your western sensibilities. It's why he has so few lines and seems to affect so little.
>>
>>71562484
>. It's why he has so few lines and seems to affect so little.

wut?
he saved the Khans life like 3 times, (assassins in season one, wolf in season 2 and guy at the end of season 2) saved his sons life at least twice (battle in season 1 and warning him to not go east), basically figured out how to get the walls down so that the Khan can conquer China and uncovered the conspiracy against the Khan in season 2
>>
>>71553079
Season 1 was great.
Season 2 is a bit of a let down that raised more questions than it answered.
>>
Shit show with too much liberty adding in White man as Messiah.

Oh save us Marco.

Kublai's pretty good too but a lot of things about Mongols are thrown out the window. Military tactics, meritocratic officership/leadership, assimilation, etc.

Fookin' boring show to be honest.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.