[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was his role in this film? He gets killed as soon as he
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: whatsupdoc.jpg (32 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
whatsupdoc.jpg
32 KB, 500x376
What was his role in this film? He gets killed as soon as he arrives. Is his role just to provide transportation off the mountain via snow plow? Because I've already seen Driving Miss Daisy.
>>
>>71544455
His role is "The black guy that dies first"
>>
>>71544455
he's also got 'The Shine' and tells the kid, and audience, what it means
>>
He saved the day in the book

Also doesn't die
>>
He gives hope to the audience.
>>
He was aready dead and his ghost form took them their.
>>
to serve danny ice cream
>>
Since it's The Shining, I'll assume you'll at least humor kooky Kubrick theories.

Both his abrupt death and the burning red car during his drive are a giant middle finger to Stephen King, the car representing the original details that King deliberately had in the novel but were ultimately ignored by Kubrick.
>>
>>71544455

This was the sequel.
>>
He's got style, a groovy style,
and a car that just won't stop.
When the going gets tough, he's really rough,
with a Hong Kong Phooey chop (Hi-Ya!)

Hong Kong Phooey, number one super guy.
Hong Kong Phooey, quicker than the human eye.
>>
File: 17-behind_the_scenes_04.jpg (43 KB, 570x377) Image search: [Google]
17-behind_the_scenes_04.jpg
43 KB, 570x377
>>
>>71545060

Great show.
>>
>>71545060
Remember when WB thought Eddie Murphy could replace him and then they had all copies of the test footage removed from the Internet?
>>
File: os429wk.jpg (106 KB, 1280x858) Image search: [Google]
os429wk.jpg
106 KB, 1280x858
>>
>>71545082
scene made me shit my shit first time i saw it
>>
>>71545156
fuck WB for that, and they sister too
>>
Keeping in line with the "American Horror Story" theory, about painting the country's manifest destiny and subsequent settling of native-occupied land as terrifying, Kubrick killing the black hero is commentary about the country's unwillingness to embrace blacks in that type of role. Like, this is America, the black guy doesn't get to save the day.

Or Kubrick did it to instill more tension and drama into the situation by taking away the implied savior
>>
>>71544927
I've always liked this theory
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.