[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Orson Scott Card argues that having themes in mind, before creating
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: OrsonScottLard.jpg (5 KB, 265x190) Image search: [Google]
OrsonScottLard.jpg
5 KB, 265x190
Orson Scott Card argues that having themes in mind, before creating a character, ends up leaving them those characters as cardboard cutouts, rather than believable characters.

He argues that if the audience were to recognize a theme in some piece, it takes them out of the story, it takes breaks the reader's stream of consciousness.

He argues that themes will naturally form out of interesting character conflict, and setting conflicts, and should be left this way, rather than adapting characters to certain endings or beginings, to fulfill a theme.

Allow the audience to form their own theme interpretations, rather than be forced into the author's.

I agree with Orson on this. What do you think?
>>
>>71516673
I think it depends on the writer and what is trying to be achieved with the characters and story.
>>
orson scott card is an old anachronistic homophobic racist, no one cares what he thinks.
>>
>>71517026
Ender's Game is a pretty great book, but yeah he's a cunt.
>>
The theme of a story can be conveyed only through the events of the plot, the events of the plot depend on the characterization of the men who enact them... and the characterization cannot be achieved except through the events of the plot, and the plot cannot be constructed without a theme. This is objectively true.

Orson knows this, because he has never written anything which wasn't full of Mormon themes. Does he think we're all stupid? He's giving bad advice to winnow competition.
>>
how do you start writing a good story?
Do you first think of the broadest general setting and work down into the characters or start with the smallest character detail and work up?
>>
>>71517026

He's not homophobic. He has gay friends.
>>
File: 1463692969136.jpg (97 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1463692969136.jpg
97 KB, 640x360
>>71517150
>>
>>71517026
>leftists cant appreciate good literature because of the authors political views
Wew, what a miserable existence
>>
>>71517117
Ender's Game is the only book I like, also, i'm the only one thinking that he writes like a woman? way to emotional and with a femenine touch.
>>
>>71517238
Leftists are the new Puritans.
>>
I think it's generally good advice. It's hard for me to think of a themes-first, message-first book or film that I thought was truly great.
>>
>>71516673
its 50/50

a good writer can make an interesting character with both dynamics. Few things are absolute, Thats why every post you see on facebook with a picture of a famous person with a quote they may or may not have said is full of shit.
>>
>>71517130
Depends what story you're telling

Are you telling a sweeping epic narrative? Then most would probably choose to start with broad stroke setting building.

Are you telling a highly focused character narrative? Then you need to have the character fully realised before you can move anywhere else.
>>
>>71517523
Really? I like it, i have a soft spot for it but personally speaker and xenocide are the two that i get something out of upon re-reading.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.