[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
10 Cloverfield Lane is only good because of the acting. The
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7
File: 1466886109900.png (561 KB, 519x573) Image search: [Google]
1466886109900.png
561 KB, 519x573
10 Cloverfield Lane is only good because of the acting.

The story is a one note twilight zone episode with a stupid ass hollywood "we need a cinematic universe" ending and everything else is just average.
>>
it was good. The middle part got boring and the ending just completely fell apart
>>
>>71515400

I'm not arguing with you OP. You're right.
>>
>>71515400
This is true. The writing wasn't very good. If a great actor like John Goodman wasn't delivering those lines, it would be cringe-worthy.

That being said, I love watching an actor take mediocre source work and turn it into something good.
>>
>>71515400
>>71515428
>>71515432
>>71515531
Is like The Thing all over again...
>>
>>71515400

John Goodman basically carried the whole thing and I liked how Mew came off looking like the villain at the end.
>>
>>71515400
How would you rate it if it ended just after she saw the birds and took off her mask?
>>
I was expecting Cloverfield 2. But instead I spent money on a psychological thriller.
>>
>>71515662

>mew came off looking like the villain

Excuse me? Howard shot an innocent man in the face and got creepy rapey, and mew discovered he'd been kidnapping girls since before the alien invasion.
>>
>>71515400
>one note twilight zone episode
Why are you saying that like it's a bad thing?
>>
>>71515760

Let's just agree to disagree and say everyone was the villain
>>
Did howard kidnap that young girl to replace a daughter than his wife took from him?
Or were both the wife and child made up?
>>
my brother and his gf didn't like it yet they watch c list netflix shit and it pissed me off when they told me this
>>
I loved the majority of this movie, like most of you, thanks only to John Goodman. His performance and the character were interesting.

>>71515662
>Mew came off looking like the villain at the end.
She was extremely bitchy and ungrateful, especially given the circumstance.

>>71515760
>mew discovered he'd been kidnapping girls
A girl. And we weren't given details into who it actually was and what went on besides that Howard lied about her being his daughter.

The ending is what fucked this movie completely. It's action garbage. A woman who can't even keep a relationship together destroys an alien craft using a molotov? It was just dumb.

I made an edit for how the movie should have ended.
https://files.catbox.moe/i5nwfc.webm
>>
>>71515904
>ungrateful
Howard pls go
>>
>>71515904
>She was extremely bitchy and ungrateful, especially given the circumstance.

lmao no.

She never felt comfortable around John Goodman the entire movie and he wasn't making any effort to calm her down and explain everything fully which makes her more paranoid
>>
>MEW will never be your little princess
Why even live?
>>
>>71515904
>A woman who can't even keep a relationship together destroys an alien craft using a molotov

How are those two things related?
>>
The ending really ruined that movie.

>giant monster spaceship
>MEW looks to the screen "you gotta be kiddin' me!"
>laughtrack
>MEW MacGuyvers up a molotov cocktail from her ass
>one-shots the alien spacecraft
>winks at the camera
>"SOLDIERS GO THIS WAY, COWARDS GO THAT WAY"
>hightails it to soldierville with welcome to the jungle playing on the radio
>>
>>71515989
>2 spaceships illuminated by lightning between her and the city
>implying she doesn't die
>>
Why do plebs get so angry when a movie is good for reasons other than the plot?
>>
>movie with low budget and takes place almost entirely on one set relies on acting

what a surprise
>>
What was the freeze can she had?

It wasnt just compressed air right?
>>
>>71515695
That's how I thought it was gonna end
>>
File: Houndeye.jpg (19 KB, 270x356) Image search: [Google]
Houndeye.jpg
19 KB, 270x356
Ayy Imao
>>
>>71515818
seeing his behavior after Emmett die we can tell clearly he is a creep fuck
however Emmett did say that "she isn't his daughter" when presented a picture implied that he was being honest about having a wife and daughter before. what happened to them is god know

also about that picture, it looks like the girl was smiling while sitting next to him so i assume that he didn't kidnap her, but more like lured or seduced her after she ran away from home
however other evidence told us the relationship went south and he didn't let her to leave with the "help me" sign that MEW discovered
>>
>>71515989
>mew finds an abandoned huey
>"heh, about damn time"
>*guitar riff*
>SOME FOLKS ARE BORN, MADE TO WAVE TO FLAG OOOOH THAT RED WHITE AND BLUE
>>
>>71516059
probably good movies can't have bad acting too
>>
>>71515987
Because it enhances how fucking ridiculous the situation is. Consider the amount of time they've been attacking. The military haven't been able to take down a ship who has enough free time to fuck around searching areas they gassed days/weeks ago. Why should any human without military grade weaponry, training, or mental strength be able to damage a craft built by a species capable of reaching Earth?

A whiny woman who refuses believe things despite having proof, digs to find reason to fuck up a decent comfy living during an alien invasion. She gets 2 people killed, who otherwise wouldn't have, and suddenly turns into a parody of Ripley injected with a extra helping of ACTION MOVIE horseshit.
>>
is MEW our generation horror queen?
i would like that desu
>>
>>71515989

The worst part is, retards actually want a sequel.

>MEW arrives at soldierville
>"whoa there little lady, we need MEN around here. head to meal prep or medical"
>she grabs one of the guys and flips him around over her head
>KOs him effortlessly
>"uh... go ahead"
>>
>>71516239
*record scratch*
>>
Mew only blew up the ship because she watched war of the worlds.

Being stuck in a bunker with a crazy dude is also in both movies.
>>
>>71515904
>She was extremely bitchy and ungrateful, especially given the circumstance.
Howard go away.
>>
I want to Mew
>>
>>71516125
You got all this backwards. The girl in the picture sitting next to Howard wasn't smiling at all. She was trying to escape at all cost that's why she damage the outside hatch to the air filtration system and then write the "help me" sign.

Later Howard finds out that she damage the hatch call her a traitor then shot her and use the acid barrel to erase any evidence as you see the same with Emmett.
>>
> mew legs in the first scene of her cell
>>
>>71516239
>>71516161
you guys are cracking me up
>>
>>71515904

huh?

I'm pretty sure the dude mentions he knew that girl and said she went missing and never turned up again. She then finds the ear rings that belonged to the girl as well as the blood and scratched "help" on the window.

That kind of sets everything in motion pushing her from "lol this guy is weird" to "lol this guy is a rapey murderer and I look like his fake dead rape daughter"

The ending wasn't earned though. I agree with you that the switch to action mode was a bad choice. If they really had to have her killing Ay Lmaos I think something more like how Sarah Connor beats the Terminator in the first film or how Ripley kills the Alien would have been a better choice. ie less action hero more terrified last ditch effort to save her life. Something like getting chased by the alien in the barn, locking it in and setting the barn on fire.

They also didn't set her up as a massive wimp (eg Sarah Connor) so that her choice to join the fight is meaningless. There's no growth as a character which would have been nice to see.
>>
>>71515904

also your ending is a good one and feels like where the film should have ended as a twist instead of starting an entirely new movie.
>>
>I wasn't able to get the alcohol out of the car Mew
>"Uh okay"
>Just rememeber that
>"Okay"
>I had plenty of time to grab various books"
>"yes"
>but i couldn't grab that bottle
>"okay"
>so I left it in the car, just saying
>"..."
>see you later. btw just wanna make clear I left that alcohol in the car.
>>
>>71515400
Damn I just watched this

What would've been based was if the whole thing was a ruse, aliens is too stupid

Honestly why would he chain her up in the first place otherwise
>>
>>71516324
well i could be wrong about the girl smiling in the picture detail
but yeah, either way it proves that howard is one sick fuck which make me think all the people who claimed he didn't do anything wrong was either memeing or brain damaged
>>
Anyone defending the ending is a shill. Like the OP says it was actually changed to create a "Cloverfield Cinematic Universe".

It's fucking dumb to have a thriller turn into a marvel-esque film that rips off a scene from war of the worlds.

I would have enjoyed the film a lot more had it ended with

>escapes
>finds tear
>fixes tear
>hears birds
>takes off mask
>breathes in
>slow zoom out to show her alone on the farm and no signs of human life

At least you can still play the "oh there was aliens" card if you want. Also it furthers the idea of her having a difficult time after the fact, she's alone on a farm with nowhere to go and no help around.
>>
File: No Touching.png (2 MB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
No Touching.png
2 MB, 1920x800
>>71516374
>They also didn't set her up as a massive wimp (eg Sarah Connor) so that her choice to join the fight is meaningless. There's no growth as a character which would have been nice to see.

She ran away from her boyfriend from an argument. Their forced moral of the story was "Face your problems head on.", when the movie should have just been an interesting tale of a slightly odd C2C listener (and possible rapist/murderer) who wants to make another daughter/wife out of a girl he rescues (probably also part of his fantasy).

She should have just lived out her life down there, but we needed a reason for her to leave the bunker. Too bad they completely destroyed the movie with that ending.

Some folks take issue with the aliens existing, but I thought it was a great twist. Blowing up the ship ruins it all. You give us a very realistic scenario the whole movie, then the big reveal is actually aliens! Good, now have them destroy people with ease like they should be able to.
>>
File: curry mad.jpg (65 KB, 1024x735) Image search: [Google]
curry mad.jpg
65 KB, 1024x735
>>71515400
>10 Cloverfield Lane is only good
>>
>>71516604
they intentionally did so many feets shots of MEW
>>
File: 1458947930986.jpg (9 KB, 184x250) Image search: [Google]
1458947930986.jpg
9 KB, 184x250
>mfw I know JJ is just testing the waters for a Half-Life film and everyone is just mad by the ending which is the only part of the movie that has any resemble to the Half-Life universe

Fuck /tv/ 2016! Why the fuck do we have to explain the movie to the audience?
>>
>>71515400

even the acting wasn't good enough for me to not turn the movie off early on, too much artificial tension by the girl not asking enough questions about her situation
>>
>>71516656
Because you don't shoehorn Half Life into a 95% completed grounded thriller/horror.
>>
I didn't mind the alien ending except that they made her superhuman

she should have died. fuck focus testers
>>
>>71516709
Fuck off. Half-Life the first video game was 100% completed grounded thriller/horror. Aliens are just a fucking device!
>>
MEW should be my girlfriend, maybe. I'd appreciate that.
>>
>>71516656
>half life movie
>gordon talks all the time (or even worse he says only one word at the end of the film to make the audience go WHAT? NO WAY!)
>the combine are actually humans from the future
>headcrabs don't exist rather it's the name of a virus that creates zombies
>black mesa never mentioned
>xen never mentioned
>aperture never mentioned
>events of half life 1 never mentioned
>gordon freeman is a programmer/engineer
>eli and kleiner are the same character
>breen is alyx's dad
>freeman kills one guy with a crowbar but uses an m16 for the rest of the film
>>
>>71516770
>Aliens are just a fucking device!
Well, you interpret the game however you please, but Half Life is action. It's got aliens very early on. This movie is completely different.

And if JJ is going to judge whether or not he should delve into a Half Life project based on the reception an unfit action ending to a thriller, then he's an idiot.
>>
>>71516770
>grounded
>sections where you're flying in space doing jumping puzzles and collecting orbs
>>
>>71515662
did goodmans character somehow believe he was a good guy?
>>
if hl3 is a movie directed by that fucking jew instead of a game I'm going to chimp the fuck out
>>
>>71517003
yeah probably. He had serious issues
>>
>>71517038
I'm gonna post so many sadfrogs I'm gonna have to open them and add a small black dot to change the exif data so I can repost them
>>
>>71517003
Well he had delusions regarding the people he kidnapped, most brutally demonstrated in the scene where he can't think of "woman" and can only refer to MEW as "girl" or "princess" (which is accurate, but still), and he was ultimately right about the invasion and them scanning for remaining life forms on the ground. He most likely was convinced he was doing the right thing, and in a way, he was.
>>
>>71517089
>>71517038
>>71516940
>>71516887
>>71516849

>dat Hazmat suit
>dat barrel with green acid
>dat combine gunship
>dat hound eye
>dat Mercy Hospital Emergency Call
>dat Portal storm & combine ship at the end

/tv/ knows shit about video games that the only reason why you guys can't find so many clues
>>
>>71517159
>the scene where he can't think of "woman" and can only refer to MEW as "girl" or "princess"
that scene was really good/ unnerving imo

also the santa one right after it
i totally knew it was santa btw
>>
>>71517328
I play lots of games I just didn't think to look for clues in a movie linked to cloverfield
>>
>>71517341
It was a silly scene, but was a good and unnerving scene. Demonstrates the brilliance of the film.
I didn't like the santa scene so much, felt pretty ham-fisted, but that's okay.
MEW can be my little princess any day.
>>
>>71517412
Really? JJ!? The same guys who talk with Gabe Newell in DICE 2013 about making movies like Half-Life and Portal.

And you wouldn't see Cloverfield as a source for clues of a Half-Life or Portal movie? Are you blind or just playing retard?
>>
>>71517341
I went to the bathroom in the theater and came back when Howard said "I see what you're doing" (something like that) and I didn't know they were playing a game so it was extra unnerving for me.
>>
>>71517537
yea I knew about the talks of him directing half life and I thought they were unsuccessful. Him trying to link the cloverfield and half life universe is a disaster. dude must have a fetish for ruining great franchises
>>
>>71517666
Great trips by the way.

But the only reason of why is JJ using Cloverfiled to introduce Half-Life is because the videogame movie market is poison for any studio trying to make a videogame movie.

The best way to do it is the (Cabin on the Woods} route and Cloverfield is great at doing just that.
>>
>>71517666
Linking them is retarded, but I wouldn't care if he directed a Half Life movie as long as it's good and doesn't replace Half Life 3. Also I don't care if he puts Easter eggs as long as it doesn't link them, like when Pixar has teaser Easter eggs for new movies hidden in current movies.
>>
>>71517787
So how is he going to retcon the cloverfield monster? Someone said something about mercy hospital. Is he going to get l4d2 universe involved too?
>>
>>71517805
Don't you think that the best way to promote both is to release a Cloverfield (name tittle here) and release Half-Life 3 at the same time?
>>
File: 1467083794463.jpg (38 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1467083794463.jpg
38 KB, 480x360
>>71517592
>went to bathroom during film
>>
>>71517880
Why retcon the first Cloverfiled? It fits perfectly if you are doing a multiverse storyline you only need to explain the origins of the Clove monster.

The l4d2 universe for any purpose in Valve a set of movies inside the canon Half-Life/Portal universe.
>>
File: 1439296443042.png (323 KB, 719x710) Image search: [Google]
1439296443042.png
323 KB, 719x710
>>71515400
Ayy Imao
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.