[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PG-13 Blockbusters and the Sugarcoating of Violence
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
>We witness fictional acts of violence all the time at the movies, in PG-13 flicks and otherwise, and there's certainly a conversation to be had about our desensitization to that. But the conversation should also acknowledge that violent shoot-em-up art is a reflection of our times.

>Bluntly stated, the core of American values is rooted in violence. U.S. history is rife with acts of violence perpetuated against many different communities. Mass shootings are not aberrations — they are a continuation of a legacy of hate and violence, threaded through American culture and society.

>And if we're sugarcoating that violence in PG-13 movies — to attract younger movie goers, no less — we shouldn't be. Let them see the consequences of violence, in fiction and in the news. Perhaps a more visceral response to it could finally prompt Congress to pass gun control measures.
http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2016/06/30/pg-13-blockbusters-and-the-sugarcoating-of-violence/violence-in-movies-reflects-a-cultural-reality

Why isn't the MPAA enforcing stricter ratings?
>>
They are. When was the last time you saw pussy in a mainstream American movie?
>>
Um, excuse me, but showing kids more violence is detrimental to their mental-health.

WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!
>>
They MPAA can do all they want, the NRA won't back down and can't be stopped.
>>
File: thegreenberets.jpg (325 KB, 998x1000) Image search: [Google]
thegreenberets.jpg
325 KB, 998x1000
Pic related was rated G in 1968.
>>
>>71499699
Movie rating should just be suggestions.

My parents took me to see Gladiator when I was 5
>>
>>71499699
It's like these people don't understand how much of a violent species we are. Like fucking seriously, people think shit like GoT is gratuitously violent, but it's actually tame as fuck compared to average life in centuries gone past.
>>
>>71499775
Clerks
A Clockwork Orange
>>
File: BvS.png (82 KB, 720x349) Image search: [Google]
BvS.png
82 KB, 720x349
>>71499699
>Let them see the consequences of violence, in fiction and in the news
Fucking liberals. They just had a blockbuster that analyzed the consequences of violence and they just bashed it because it was fascist or some shit.
>>
>>71499775
>he's never seen basic instict
>>
File: BONES HEADSHOT.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
BONES HEADSHOT.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>meanwhile on network television
>>
>>71500711
The books have way more rape, and pretty much everyone just ignores shit like Cersei having babies murdered in the street because they're bastards or how Dany was only 13 when Drogo starting tapping that shit nightly and about how much she came to love getting fucked like a dog even when she was that young.
>>
Deadpool was a step in the right direction, but people really should have watched Dredd.

One can only hope the last Wolverine movie will be R.
>>
I agree, it's honestly quite disgusting.

Not that I like europe or japan's pervertedness, but it's not as bad.
>>
>>71501037
This is cartoonishly bad so it's perfectly fine.
>>
>>71501183
I'm aware of this, but show plebs seem to think the stuff on the show is violent enough. Just shows how sheltered these people are.
>>
>>71501037
KEK
>>
>>71501037
lol. god bless america.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.