[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bo Burnham - Make Happy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: bo_burnham-640x427.jpg (32 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
bo_burnham-640x427.jpg
32 KB, 640x427
Why was he apologizing all the time?
Was he insecure of his jokes or was he afraid of the audience thinking they were too heavy?
>>
He drank the PC koolaid. I turned it off after his song about being a straight white male.
>>
>comedians who play instruments usually considered shit tier or at least that segment of their routine is
>suddenly reddit the comedian shows up and everyone wont hop off his dick
I honestly don't see the appeal
>>
>>71497650
He's just pretty is all.
>>
>>71497650
He's no Steven Lynch thats for sure
>>
>>71497461
Which is ironic because by turning it off the second you hear something that makes you uncomfortable, you prove yourself no different from the PC faggots.
>>
>>71497650
>suddenly

I'd prefer it if he stuck to making songs. I think Make Happy had two
>>
>>71498005
>uncomfortable
It wasn't funny and was blatant pandering, I'm not going to continue watching something if I don't enjoy it.
>>
File: 1418228156215.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
1418228156215.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
the last song is literally a 14 year old scene girl's diary entry

>part of me loves you
>part of me hates you
>part of me needs you
>part of me fears you

so fucking poignant bo, truly you are the tormented genius
>>
>>71497461
Yes because having a song called killed yourself is so PC.
>>
The White Privelege Song just seemed like pandering. White men are the number one demographic for suicide in the US and that number is only increasing, to act like white men have no problems to concern themselves with is just pandering bullshit

but honestly I liked the rest of the show. The opening bit where he does all the special effects and synthesizers and shit only to transition into a boring joke in medium light was brilliant
>>
It was okay. Only good songs were Kill Yourself, Lower Your Expectations, and Country Song. The rest were forgettable. That Straight White Man song fucking sucked.
>>
Fuck this guy, he's for people that like Seth Macfarlane's humor.
>>
>>71498505

Agreed. And the Breakup Song where he just spouted "eat a dick" wasn't that funny. Bo can be clever as fuck, but that was just stupid.
>>
>>71498577
It is when you pussy out of performing it for most of your tour and when you bring it back the disclaimers about how you shouldn't REALLY kill yourself last longer than the actual song.
>>
>>71498721

Not even close tho. Bo can be clever as fuck. Seth just makes fart jokes and dumb humor and thinks he gets a pass for it because the characters themselves comment on how it's dumb. Making retarded content and then pointing out how it's intentional doesn't equate to a good joke.
>>
Make Happy, in my opinion, is the worst work that he's put out yet. I loved Words, Words, Words and What a lot. I've rewatched each one a few times and I'll probably only watch Make Happy again if I want to do a more in depth post-mortem as to why it failed where the others succeeded.

I think I lightly chuckled a couple times but other than that it was mostly sitting there staring. There was not a lot of jokes in this special compared to the previous ones and the 'performer/audience' dichotomy was only interesting in one or two of the monologues. Beyond that it was much more shallow than his other works despite appearing to be more introspective and deep.

There's a reason the only part of his special that has been posted on Reddit was the country song. It was the only one that attempts to be funny other than Kill Yourself which isn't that strong either.
>>
>>71497461
Nope. There's a 20 minute video of him giving an interview into college students in which he kinda shits on complaining about PC culture. But, solely becuase believes that it's totally fine for people to feel offended by his work and it's lack of Political Correctness, he just feels everything he talks about can be justified and that it's fine for them to be offended. Even if he disagrees. Be it his free use of faggot or the occasional times where he'll drop "nigga". It's there for a reason to him.

He's right. People can be offended all they fucking want. Doesn't mean shit. He already said what he wanted. Technically, he has a lot to talk about on the matter of comedy, because he pretty much fucking hates it since he feels like he caught attention way to early.
>>
>>71498674
Lower Your Expectations is really good
>>
>>71498644
What shits me off the most is that he IS fucking privileged. He was born into a rich family and had everything handed yo him on a silver fucking platter.
He's just some spoiled asshole rich kid who never worked a day in their life, but pretends to be "JUST LIKE US"
>>
Catholic guilt
>>
File: 1465243806031.jpg (2 MB, 4076x3404) Image search: [Google]
1465243806031.jpg
2 MB, 4076x3404
Comedy kino
>>
>>71498505
He wasn't saying that to himself like 14-year-olds do. I'm not a Bo stan, it's just clear he was trying to pull back the curtain on the mindset of a performer.
>>
>>71497461
I thought the joke was "straight white males aren't privileged"
>>
>>71497461
>>71498644
>>71498674
Holy shit it was a fucking joke.

It was about how we always disregard white males because of their "privilege" and never actually look at them as people anymore. About how we take a minority of white men and blow it up to be the poster-boy for all white men.

A little bit of comedy is that it's ironic because it's a white man singing about how privileged white men.
>>
>>71500874

That's what I got it from it too, it's under multiple layers of irony. A sarcastic song about white guys having it hard sung by a privileged white guy who gets his views ignored for being a white guy.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.