[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There's been more than a few Lynch hate threads the past
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
File: david.jpg (100 KB, 602x375) Image search: [Google]
david.jpg
100 KB, 602x375
There's been more than a few Lynch hate threads the past few days.

Nobody brings up any actual criticism. Every attack is either generic like calling his work 'pretentious' or saying it's bad or shit which is about as worthless as an attack can be...or they attack a fantasy of who they think the people who like his films are.

Can you actually bring up anything that doesn't fall into these brain dead categories? I imagine not.
>>
It's obviously because of his hair.
>>
I like him :3
>>
>>71484791
he is my favourite director
>>
>>71484945
>>71484912
I do know there there are a lot of people who love his movies and I suspect that a lot of the hate is manufactured by bored people just to rile people up but I was curious if somebody would comment.
>>
>>71484828
But his hair is glorious
>>
>>71484791
Are you me? Been saying the exact same thing
>>
kee no ah
>>
>>71484791
he's a genius
i wish he'd come back
>>
>>71485694
Twin Peaks next year
>>
Im a Lynch fan, but I'm willing to play devil's advocate here.

Lynch's work is pretty unapproachable, so i assume when someone is saying its pretentious they are implying they can't into avant-garde. Or they find avant-garde itself pretentious.

His whole atmosphere he instills into his films makes you uncomfortable on purpose, some people don't like that and will respond with comments of "bad" or "shit". The same way I respond to gore flicks, just not my cup of tea. If I show a friend Blue Velvet, and he wants to turn it off after "baby wants blue velvet" scene, then i will probably oblige him because I don't think suffering though something you find uncomfortable is a worthy way to spend your time, even if I myself get great joy from it.

All in all, OP is a fag, and burden of proof of Lynch being good is on you because you started this shit thread.
>>
They're mad because they watch movies on their phones.
>>
File: david-lynch-panties.jpg (15 KB, 450x321) Image search: [Google]
david-lynch-panties.jpg
15 KB, 450x321
joke's on them for getting their panties in a bunch, Lynch feeds on panties
>>
I really love this video of people giving their thoughts coming out of Eraserhead.

>5m25s
https://youtu.be/l3WFOPWbG8I?t=5m25s
>>
File: MrRichardSmoker.png (277 KB, 391x494) Image search: [Google]
MrRichardSmoker.png
277 KB, 391x494
>>71484791
anybody that doubts his greatness is a massive prick

>Pic certainly related
>>
He's a one note hack that film school kiddies drool over because their professors tell them that they should. Twin Peaks 3 is going to be embarrassing.
>>
>>71484791
I'd give him some critique.

He deals mostly in concepts, rather than execution, meaning he cares more about conveying a general idea rather than how it's executed. Meaning his movies are absolutely ridiculous and cartoony.

At the start of Mulholland drive the concept he wants to bring forth is that the main character is star struck by LA, he does this by having her act like a literal retarded child gasping at everything rather than having any type of subtlely, poigniancy, or be remotely clever about it.

Similarily, Blue Velvet is absolutely absurd, Dennis Hopper is chewing the scenery like he's in a B-movie, yet we're still supposed to take him seriously because of his (admittedly) kinda fucked up sexualised personality, yet it also all his scenes incredibly goofy, due to how much he's hamming it up, leading them to not be actually threatening whatsoever.

Essentially, discounting plebs, you like him if you think the concepts for his movies are clever enough on their own. If you genuinely care about how it's executed, it's very easy to far how far time has ran away from him.

Don't care for him at all.
>>
>>71484791
Easy. His prime films are surrealism. He brings nothing new to a table than wasn't before him by Luis Bunuel, thus he's not "great". He is just modern adaptation of something that already exists. The same way as Interstellar brings nothing new after 2001: A Space Odyssey and other films. I understand this point can also be criticized, but it is my argument.
>>
>>71485775
>>71485775
That's at least being reasonable. Anybody is entitled to not like his films or to find them offputting.

>>71486409
Those are good insights and I can see why you'd bring them up. In an interview, Dennis Hopper talked about how his character was supposed to be breathing helium from the tank and all of his rape lines were to be told in a high pitched voice. Hopper refused to do this and he turned it into a drug.

You're absolutely right in that his films are plasticy and fake. I believe this is the product of somebody who is attempting to turn the spectacle of film on it's head and undermine the veneer of verisimilitude that has been built up over the last 100 years. Since blue velvet he's been mashing disparate material together so interpretation becomes difficult and in his later films impossible.

Throughout blue velvet you see bad comedy, violence and drama inappropriately placed together. The characters make unintentional puns which devalues the the drama and mystery of finding a severed human ear.

After saying all that I can't fault you for finding his movies to be more about ideas than execution. His films are a deconstruction of film and later narrative. Trying to construct the illusion of the real in one of his films would be going against what he's trying to convey.
>>
>>71485772
No, as in movies and not that shitty show.
>>
>>71487492
I bet he'll have some surprises. Mulholland Drive was going to be a TV series after all.
>>
>>71487443
I don't know but I feel like most critics haven't figured him out, which when they start describing him it makes him come off as pretentious. Just look at all the meanings of Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway that people have come up with.
>>
>>71486409
His films aren't badly executed, you just don't like B-movies, which aren't inherently badly executed but may evoke the B-movie aesthetic purposefully.
>>
>>71487698
Yeah I think it's why he may have made inland empire. He did away with radically changing the characters his actresses and actors were playing. Instead from moment to moment Laura Dern slips from one narrative to the next. Of being a playing a character in a movie to being a character that's staring in a movie. There can be no interpretation of that other than ones that are dismissive like 'she's crazy'. Even then the world around her doesn't conform to any standard of that could be called real.
>>
>>71486409
Hey, I'm the first person who replied to you. I wanted to add that I appreciated your thought out reply.
>>
>>71484791
Anyone arguing that he creates purposefully weird and convoluted plots just to confound his audience should watch this:
35:54
https://youtu.be/GS0Cfu6-Ax0?t=35m55s
>>
>>71488607
bumping because this thread might die because people are watching thisand not posting.
>>
>>71486359

>one note hack

so
>mulholland drive
>blue velvet
>eraserhead
>the straight story

that's fucking one note? those 4 movies are so completely different both thematically and composition that this is either really good bait or you're a fucking retarded pleb who knows jack shit about film.
>>
>>71490186
You're responding to somebody who thinks "he makes weird movies" is his one note.
>>
>>71484791
It appeals to such a small and no that's not because you're enlightened. It's weird for the sake of weird and that's just lazy.
>>
David Lynch is quite literally one of the most genius filmmakers of all time. Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire, and The Straight Story fully make up this argument. He has a complete mastery of mystery (Mulholland Drive), the macabre (Inland Empire), and emotion (Straight Story). These three will rightfully go down in history, even if Straight Story is a bit overlooked. I have many favorite directors but Lynch is more versatile and dynamic than any of them.
>>
>>71490625

>appeals to such a small

i assume you mean small demographic and that's completely untrue considering lynch is one of the most acclaimed filmmakers of all time.
>>
>>71490625
>It's weird for the sake of weird

Lol.
>>
>>71490917
I like how people think that rewording what I called brain dead arguments will fool anybody.
>>
File: louis.jpg (91 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
louis.jpg
91 KB, 1280x720
>>71484791
Honestly, his best work is this
>>
>>71484791
he's excellent at pretty much everything he does.
>>
>>71491279
I loved that season.
>>
>>71487788
Very much this. He goes out of his way to use equipment and techniques that give everything a really campy vibe even when it takes more effort than just shooting things normally. If you don't like that it's fine, but I don't think the movies end up that way on accident.
>>
File: 1460238544703.png (194 KB, 293x397) Image search: [Google]
1460238544703.png
194 KB, 293x397
>>71491279
>>71491378

Nice KEK show you've got there
>>
>>71491463
Oh great the screaming memers here.
>>
He is too lazy to write a good, tight plot and instead overuse visual memes which ultimately are pointless.
>>
>>71493059
see
>>71491543
>>
>>71484791
dude all those threads are bait, of course this man is a genius
>>
File: Anthony_Bourdain_2014_(cropped).jpg (371 KB, 1095x1182) Image search: [Google]
Anthony_Bourdain_2014_(cropped).jpg
371 KB, 1095x1182
I hate him 'cause he looks like Anthony Bourdain and I hate this fuckin' jew.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.