[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Judge Says IP Address Doesn't Prove Anything in Piracy Case
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: piracy[1].jpg (208 KB, 1536x1024) Image search: [Google]
piracy[1].jpg
208 KB, 1536x1024
>TorrentFreak reports that Oregon District Court Magistrate Judge Stacie Beckerman dismissed a case against Thomas Gonzales, who was accused of illegally downloading Adam Sandler’s The Cobbler. Beckerman states that IP-addresses aren’t enough to prove that Gonzales was directly involved with copyright infringement.
?You see, Gonzales runs an adult foster care home, and he wasn’t the only person with access to the internet. There’s simply no direct way to pinpoint that it was he who was guilty of the act. Beckerman argues that you can’t hold someone accountable for copyright infringement unless you can prove they did it.
>“The only facts Plaintiff pleads in support of its allegation that Gonzales is the infringer, is that he is the subscriber of the IP address used to download or distribute the movie, and that he was sent notices of infringing activity to which he did not respond. That is not enough.”
http://gizmodo.com/judge-says-ip-address-doesnt-prove-anything-in-piracy-c-1782752621

There's literally no proofs that you can steal movies so why do people still pay for Netflix?
>>
>>71455330
I sure fucking hope not.

I can't tell you how many times I go to use internet on my phone and it says I'm banned for "posting CP" only for me to wait a few minutes and then I've connected to a new IP. Shit kinda always scared me because it's quite a serious thing to be affiliated with. Luckily I realized it happens to lots of other anons as well so.
>>
>>71455330
the cobbler was on Netflix, if he had made a free month account he could've avoided that trouble.
>>
>>71455330
If you have a vpn your service provider may drop you. Other than that, they never would have had an argument in court
>>
your average /tv/ neckbeard that pirates movies isnt running an adult foster care home
>>
>>71455330
he is right. given how much it takes to convict for murder or any other crime it would be stupid for IP to be convulsive evidence
>>
>>71455525

>sorry judge, someone must have stolen my wifi
>sorry judge, it must have been one of my guests
>>
>>71455575
>what is a static IP
>>
>>71455406
i get that shit all the time along with all kinds of other bans. it's just the way shit is with a dynamic ip
>>
>>71455525
What if I have 10 lolis in my sub-basement?
>>
>>71455575
its called "beyond reasonable doubt" not "the most likely scenario"
>>
>>71455525
I've been banned from 4chan from other autists using nearby IPs
>>
>>71455575
This

They have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that it was you who did it. Those are both reasonable arguments.
>>
>>71455330
>so why do people still pay for Netflix?

because pirating shit can be a pain in the ass. with netflix or similar services, i don't have to worry about file size/bandwidth or dodgy quality.
>>
What's worse, being punished for piracy or the world knowing you watched an Adam Sandler movie?
>>
>>71455798
>bandwidth
What shithole do you live in?also does not netflix use the internet?
>dodgy quality
if you are retarded enough to download TS/cam rips than that is all you deserve.
>>
File: 1306614541051.jpg (46 KB, 446x388) Image search: [Google]
1306614541051.jpg
46 KB, 446x388
>>71455525
>mfw I run a bed and breakfast with free wifi
>spend all day shitposting and getting paid to show people to rooms
>and now I know I can never get slapped for pirating
>>
>>71455973
Greg pls. Vermont is shit.
>>
File: 1376528972275.jpg (68 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1376528972275.jpg
68 KB, 400x400
>>71455798
>Why would you ride a unicycle with a flat tire to work every day?
>Well a car could break down
>>
File: pancakecat.jpg (66 KB, 652x602) Image search: [Google]
pancakecat.jpg
66 KB, 652x602
>>71455330
>getting taken to court for an Adam Sandler movie called "The Cobbler"

What a shitty way to go
>>
>>71455330
>Downloading an Adam Sandler movie

He needs the death sentence.
>>
>>71455406
This happens a lot, and yeah, I freaked out at first too.
>>
>>71455973
#livingthedream
>>
>>71455330
we should start putting anyone willing to watch Adam Sandler films in jail regardless of if they pirate it.

The sickest kind of degeneracy
>>
>>71456233
>tfw ywn have maymay cat in ur house
>>
>>71455701

Can't tell if you're agreeing or disagreeing with the post you're replying to. People have gotten off of gun charges because the prosecution couldn't prove it wasn't planted.
>>
lmao

you catch more flies with honey than vinegar
>>
>>71455330
Imagine going to jail because you pirated Adam Sandler's The Cobbler
>>
>>71455734
>beyond reasonable doubt meme
That only applies to criminal charges, you filthy underage faggot.
>>
File: How about I Slappy your shit.png (111 KB, 169x242) Image search: [Google]
How about I Slappy your shit.png
111 KB, 169x242
>>71455330
>accused of illegally downloading Adam Sandler’s The Cobbler

If he genuinely didn't download it then he doesn't deserve to be punished. If he did download it then he must have watched it and that was surely punishment enough.
>>
>>71455601
A stupidity on your part for getting an ISP that uses static IPs.
>>
>>71457414
ISP knows what dynamic IP belongs to who on a particular date time.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.