[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so it was a meta-commentary on his own films right? general thoughts?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 206
Thread images: 23
File: neon-demon-cannes-poster.jpg (464 KB, 1024x1366) Image search: [Google]
neon-demon-cannes-poster.jpg
464 KB, 1024x1366
so it was a meta-commentary on his own films right?

general thoughts?
>>
>>71418164
>so it was a meta-commentary on his own films right?
no, the movie came to him after reading about Elizabeth Bathory. he got the setting and the characters from living in LA with his wife and becoming inspired by Ellle Fanning.
>>
>>71418164

Shill detected. Into the garbage this thread goes.
>>
>>71418194

i believe refn drew some parallels to criticisms of his own works

>style // substance
>>
>>71418246
I thought it had quite a bit of substance. all of the female characters were incredibly nuanced.
>>
>>71418164
You can take it as a meta-commentary on the place of his actresses in the film. Elle is basically Jesse, she is just less introverted. Jena is a washed up and unremarkable, just like Ruby. Abbey is trying to get into the film industry like Sarah in the Fashion world.

But Refn most analyzes (and deconstructs) feminity in the modern world. He did the same with OGF and masculinity. I'm still convinced that he's deep down a reactionnary.
>>71418227
Pute autism.
>>
So how many more years till Refn goes full on Lynch and makes his own Inland Empire?
>>
>>71418246
It's a false dichotomy. Film is a visual medium. Style is an extension of substance and substance cannot be without style.
>>
I really loved the shlock-ness of the ending. Gave me a real old school horror vibe that I honestly wasn't expecting from this.
>>
>>71418409
Refn isn't a hack so he certainly won't.
>>
Why did Ruby make blood come out of her under the moon? And why did the other girl throw up the eye ball and kill her self?
>>
>>71418542

pleb
>>
>>71418577
>>71418577

>And why did the other girl throw up the eye ball and kill her self?

Because she actually ate Jessi and the guilt was quite literally eating her from the inside.
>>
>>71418577
she was period'ing

the real beauty was destroying her false beauty.
>>
why was Keanu's character dropped so randomly?

his character took a left turn out of nowhere then just disappeared
>>
>>71418656
I think just to make things more shocking but idk I'm not really good at reading into anything.
>>
>>71418656
the part where he holds the knife down her throat is a dream. him raping Lolita shit was real.
>>
>>71418577
She was overwhelmed by Jesse's virginal youth. The moon is almost universal symbol of feminity and menstruations

Refn knows his shit and seems well read.
>>
the fashion show sequence was one of the most beautiful sequences in recent memory
>>
>>71418842
I think it was more of a psychic vision. There were definitely some supernatural aspects to the movie.
>>
>>71418871

I don't know. The murder and consumption of Jesse seemed like her idea. The models seemed to had never done anything like that before. Did those tattoos have any occult symbolism?
>>
yfw food or sex?
>>
Just got home from viewing.

This is one of the best movies I've ever seen. It had exactly everything I enjoy in a movie. I was glued to the screen.

Before, I really liked Refn. Now I believe in him and his vision.

>>71418414
You my man, are smarter than the average bear

Also I feel like the fashion mogul with the mustache was Refn's voice box and he really believes that 'beauty is not everything, it's the only thing'
>>
Much more memorable than Only God Forgives. Not as strong narrative-wise as Drive.

Still, Refn continues to outshine his own cinematography. The man knows style and knows it better than anyone else currently making movies. Undoubtedly the best of a generation.
>>
>>71418871
witches man, not even once
>>
File: refn.jpg (20 KB, 780x440) Image search: [Google]
refn.jpg
20 KB, 780x440
>>71419283
>>
>>71418164
Seen it yesterday. It's very self-indulgent, the pacing is horrible. It so wants to portray the emptiness of the fashion world that it feels very empty as a movie also.
The visuals are really awesome though, but the story is not original at all until it starts to become surreal.
Also some scenes were completely unnecessary, or dragging for too long.
The acting is very good overrall, nothing to say there.
I like it a tad little more than Only God Forgives which i didn't like, but Drive for me is his best so far.
>>
>>71418164
Guys guys guys. I went ton highschool with the model who sits next to the gay guy at the table in the scene where the white knight Beta tells the gay guy beauty is on the inside!
>>
The longer I go since watching it, the more I like it. It's sitting with me really well, and I feel like it's worth rewatching. It goes without saying that the visuals and music were great.

I personally found the script to be fine, as well as the acting. As has been mentioned in the thread, there's some nice symbolism going on, but the story itself was enough to keep me captivated. I love how Refn said it wasn't a critique. It was a glamorization of shallowness and material beauty as much as it exposed it's negative sides. In that sense, it almost could be seen as mega; his films are often seen as shallow, and while I disagree, and I'm sure Redn does too, he's saying, "hey, that's not always a bad thing though".

A cool movie with interesting characters and great moments, Neon Demon is Refn at his most "Refn" and is a film I greatly enjoyed
>>
better watch it soon lads, my local theater stops showing it thursday and yours probably will too

box office: 940,509 USD
budget: 7 million USD
>>
so what happened in room 214
>>
>>71419006
I meant "overjoyed", not "overwhelmed". Of course it was her idea.
She's a narcissist and tries to reach Jesse's beauty through a sexual relationship. Jesse is afraid of penetration (remember her dream with Hank and his knife used as a phallic symbol) because she's instrinctively aware that her beauty comes from her virginity, she also rejected Dean because of that. A narcissist like Ruby couldn't accept rejection, she therefore decided to reach Jesse's virginal beauty through ritualistic cannibalism.
>>
>>71420444
Refn's films are usually more successful in Europe - espacially in France. Don't worry.
>>
File: classact.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
classact.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
>>71420475
"some real lolita stuff. real lolita"
>>
sad thing Elle Fanning would be considered too "fat" to actually model if she was some unknown, even Victoria Secret type modeling where they're supposed to look healthier
>>
>>71420444
>visit my theaters website
>switch to Friday

Uh oh...
>>
>>71420574
well i'm french, and i thought Refn was jerking off on his film a little too long.
"Oh look at dat slow motion there, oooooh i'm such a filmmaker, aren't i? Oh yeeaaah fiiiiiilllmmmmm maaaaaakkerrrrrrrrrr"
>>
>>71419042
oh god. Wowwwwwwwwww, did not think of that till now.
>>
>>71419042
>>71420873
What does this mean?
>>
>>71420904
It's a quote from the movie that will spoil it if explained.
>>
>>71420812
I can't believe people think directors actually do this, and use it as a criticism of the film
>>
it's an Italian horror film - the plot is paper thin and it's pretty. only thing it was missing is bad dubbing.
>>
>>71420482

I found it very interesting that Refn used the trope of using virgin sacrifice
old school pagans would sacrifice virgins to please the Gods who ruled their world
but in a post-modern world, it is "i" the individual, who rules in each of our own worlds (or at least, that's how we see it now)

Each of the girls used the sacrifice for personal gain

Just too bad that not everyone can stomach it
>>
>>71420931
I've seen it but have shit memory.
>>
>>71419042
woooooaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

just got that now
>>
>>71420982
Well not actually. But it's very self indulgent.
>>
just answe this question

does she show her tits?
>>
>>71420998
wow so deep man, you are like so intelligent dude. what are you gonna study in college, brah?
>>
>>71421059
no
>>
>>71420987
This, people criticize the film, use the style/substance false dichotomy, but so many of them have not even seen the works of Argento or Bava
>>
>>71420987
a lot of it did feel like a weird mix between Suspiria and Mulholland Drive
>>
>>71420998
>used the trope
yeah. i'm sure he thought to himself "oh fuck that shit, i'm gonna use some tropes in there! *shoots ropes"
>>
>>71421139
What are you trying to say?
>>
>>71421101
Blood and Black Lace yo
>>
I saw it once last week, but I just bought another ticket for a screening tomorrow night with a free fandango ticket I got.

Not even sure that I'll go but I want this movie to make more money so studios will give refn more money to make more movies.

Also, yes the movie was very meta. And jena Malones tattooed boobies were pure heaven
>>
>>71419959
Solid opinion. I liked it, but his indulgence ruined aspects of the film
>>
File: 1466016318740.jpg (33 KB, 666x360) Image search: [Google]
1466016318740.jpg
33 KB, 666x360
>>71421068
womyn's studies
>>
>>71421101
Please. Argento and Bava used style excessively, but always in a concised thriller/horror genre.
The problem of Refn imo is that at some point he is just so fascinated by visuals themselves that he starts to forget the story.
To me, it's a problem. Either you try telling a story or you just go full arty mode and focus only on visuals and symbolisms.
>>
>>71421019
When all four of them are in the bathroom at the beginning of the film. Jesse is asked, "are you food or sex?" and literally reused to have sex and they ate her in the third act.
>>
>>71421019
I think they're attributing the quote to Ella's character. Is she food or sex?
>>
>>71421402
The only slow moments I didn't like were when there was dialogue, too stilted and made the actors look bad which they aren't.
>>
Was the movie good or should I just wait for all the webms of the boobs?
>>
>>71421402
It works as a whole, you idiot. We're not talking about a music video, it's a film. The visuals convey narrative and the narrative conveys symbolism. The story was perfectly constructed and managed to set the themes in an intelligent way without being too allegorical. Refn was certainly influenced bu Brava and Argento but he has a better eye for visuals than them, it is reflected through the mise en scène, the photography, the artistic direction and the script.
>>
File: Five Dolls for an August Moon.webm (2 MB, 864x469) Image search: [Google]
Five Dolls for an August Moon.webm
2 MB, 864x469
>>71421570
>Refn was certainly influenced bu Brava and Argento but he has a better eye for visuals than them

ehhhhhhhhhhh, wouldn't go that far
>>
>>71421570
>Better eye than Bava and Argento
>reflected through the mise en scène
who are you kidding seriously. You probably piss on any pre-90's directors just because they're old.

The script? It's always been the problem of Refn. Shit stories but great visuals don't make a good film.
>>
>>71421769
>You probably piss on any pre-90's directors just because they're old.
And you're probably projecting a little bit too much.

The script's never been a problem for Refn. Inspired by the narrative structure of Greek Tragedies and Elizabethan plays, he wrote the most accurate depiction of the Scandinavian underworld when he was just a 24 year old upper middle class guy. Pusher II has been critically acclaimed for its script. Nobody ever complained about Bronson's script. OGF received negative reactions mostly because of its violence,"misogyny" and slow atmosphere.

>>71421592
Don't get me wrong, there isn't a gap between them but Refn definitely reached new heights with TND.
>>
>>71422196
Not the guy you're arguing with, but you're trying to hard

Scripts are his weakest area, but he can still write better scripts than 95% of other filmmakers and writers.of our time.
>>
>>71420016
Who gives a shit
>>
>>71422318
I never said he wrote deep and complicated scripts, I'm saying he's been criticized for his scripts but that it isn't a valid objection. He's definitely a competent writer.
>>
I've only seen Valhalla Riaing, Drive, and Neon Demon.

Definitely going to check out his other stuff now.
>>
So who was The Neon Demon?

>>71418414
Came here to post this.

Have a well-deserved (You).

>>71420016
>went ton highschool with the model
Ok, fuck off.

Still best scene imo.
>>
>>71420652
Is Keanu into loli. He is a weeb.
>>
>>71418164
>general thoughts?

>She doesn't show tits
>I didn't watch movie
>the end
>>
>>71420998
>Just too bad that not everyone can stomach it
Ayyyyy
>>
>>71421565
It was a e s t h e t i c
If that tickles your fancy, then yes.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvUJsu5w8IU

Could listen to for weeks,
>>
>>71418164
>Meta-commentary
No, just that you don't know what metacommentary is.
>>
File: 546367254254678.png (253 KB, 450x449) Image search: [Google]
546367254254678.png
253 KB, 450x449
Refn will save vidya kino
>>
>>71422942
The soundtrack was definitely awesome.
>>
>watching Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation
>suddenly Refn shows up
>>
>>71423773
What?
>>
>>71423892
The villain looked like Refn (with a jaw).
>>
>>71422942
80s synth music should make a comeback, it sounded great for the it follows soundtrack as well
>>
>>71423957
It's already coming back. Don't you know the New retro style?
>>
I loved the visuals (the party scene with the strobe lights was one of the best things he's ever done, so was the runway scene) but the story and tone just didn't work. There was nothing leading up to the incredibly sudden part where they turn on her and kill her in the same scene, just made it feel very jarring since the previous stuff had been fairly slow-building. There was a feeling of "that was it?" when it happened, we never got to see anything of Jesse becoming consumed by the soulless industry other than that ludicrous monologue she gives. After that it feels like a cheap horror sendup with the eyeball scene, the movie had been dark and serious and that just seemed campy and made the "they're literally cannibal witches" twist seem absurd and the movie ended on that weird note that didn't fit with how things started out. I felt like it could have been a good deal longer with more exposition of Jesse's transformation and her relationship with the other models, and it would have worked a lot better, it would be immeasurably better if Refn had focused more on that and cleaned up the third act.

I don't know, I just wasn't feeling it. There's some great symbolism and potential, it's just not executed as well as I think it could be.
>>
why didn't refn show the drugs they were all clearly on?
>>
>>71419042
>>71420873
>>71420904
>>71420931
Now that the fucking retard Americans like the above have watched it. I guess we can't have any intelligent discussions about the movie anymore. It was foreshadowed throughout the whole movie and the reason Ruby drew on the mirror was to notify the others that she was meat.
>>
>>71424031
Yeah, nothing at all. Nothing at all. Not like it was build-up for ages. Jesus christ. You're a moron. Movie is not even subtle. And there was nothing supernatural about the movie.
>>
>>71418656
The rest of the movie took place the same night of the rape... and then he next day at the photo shoot, where would you put keanu in that scenerio?
>>
>>71424116
There was foreshadowing and it was clear that they were starting to turn on her, but there was almost nothing in between her transformation on the runway (aside from telling the bf to fuck off, something fairly minor) and a full-on egotistical rant followed by her being murdered by three people almost immediately after refusing sex a single time, the first time her virginity being the key was suggested
>>
File: 1.jpg (38 KB, 400x528) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
38 KB, 400x528
>post yfw real lolita shit
Was that real, or was she dreaming? I want to think he wasn't a bad guy in reality. Was Dean the only truly good guy in the movie?
>>
So why'd Ruby fuck herself on top of a corpse?
>>
>>71424437
>Was Dean the only truly good guy in the movie?
No, the fashion designer was a real human bean.

Are you on a windows phone?
>>
>>71424473
The one who calls Gigi 'fine?' He was a straight ass hole. Unless you mean the Jake guy, think that's what his name was?

And yes, why?
>>
>>71424437
He didn't rape Jesse but he did the other girl, that's why she went to Ruby's place.

Kind of weird that a landlord would rape and sell out his tenants though, can't be good for business.
>>
>>71424031
Yeah that scene just felt rushed. "Oh quick we have to find something extreme to happen!".
>>
>>71424538
That kind of sucks. I really liked his character up until that point.
>>
It's basically Nicolas Refn's Showgirls, right down to the campy and shitty, vapid dialogue, (though with a much less deft hand than Verhoeven) until the third act where it becomes something much more bizarre and interesting. It's kind of shallow and traffics in simple ideas, but it executes them very effectively. If you're a fan of Refn, you'll like it; if you're not, you won't.
>>
>>71424537
>He was a straight ass hole
Nah, he wasn't straight. And he was honest. Gigi was a spoopy alien looking bitch.

Because I too use that app and my filenames always get changed to 1 and I was curious if it was the same for anyone else.
>>
>>71424571
>If you're a fan of Refn, you'll like it; if you're not, you won't.
I agree, but it wasn't abstract enough. It needed more of Fear X's brand of out there wtf to round it out.

Am I the only one that likes Fear X?
>>
>>71424592
Gigi was hot af, but also obviously batshit insane from the first moment she appeared on screen.
>>
>>71424592
I didn't mean literally straight, just like, nothing but an ass hole. And yeah, Gigi looked weird, but that was still mean, especially making Dean insult her.
Yep, same thing. It's just how the app works, sadly. I wish the guy would update it again, I'm always making double posts because of it.
>>
>>71424592
What app
>>
So what was up with the bondage scene? I found that creepier than anything else in the film.
Also, my gf though Jesse might have been a supernatural creature, there was even a sparkle type sound anytime something weird would happen with her.
>>
>ITT: Pathetic attempts at rationalizing autistic jailbait fantasies
>>
>>71424645
I was just going for the pun. I know you knew that.
He definitely had the best line in the bit with his "(You)" when he told Jesse she was closing the show.

>>71424671
Image Board Browser. It's pretty good, but the captcha can be extra retarded sometimes.
>>
>>71424622
I liked Fear X's aesthetic, but it didn't come together as well as most of Refn's stuff does.
>>
>>71424721
I was in this weird tired haze (not drugs, just exhaustion) when I watched it, but it made more than any other Refn work, left this major impression on me. Absolute dread for several days afterwards around elevators. Really cool, albeit discomforting.
>>
>>71424708
I thought so, but wasn't sure.
And yeah, he was cool, just not a nice person really. More one of those people who treats certain people very nicely and hates the rest.
>>
>>71424679
The bondage scene was cool as fuck, made me wish the rest of the film had that disturbing trippy atmosphere. I guess it was just a performance at the party they were attending (clearly some weird underground stuff).

I didn't like the sparkly theme, it didn't feel dark enough for what was going on as the movie developed. This is the only Martinez score that's been kind of disappointing.
>>
>>71424779
Yeah, I get that. It's the closest anything I've seen from him has ever come to being full on Lynchian.
>>
Why did Jessi have to stop and think for 10 seconds whenever someone asked her something?
>>
>>71424973
Have you seen Drive?
>>
>>71424973
She was puzzling about what to say. If she said the wrong thing she'd have gotten chewed up--which of course she eventually did.
She had to put on airs and didn't git gud for a while.
>>
what was with all the mirrors? Like almost every other scene involved a mirror or reflections.
>>
>>71425019
>she'd have gotten chewed up
Not enough though, that eyeball came out whole.
>>
File: look of puzzlement.gif (1 MB, 300x191) Image search: [Google]
look of puzzlement.gif
1 MB, 300x191
>>71425148
>mfw
>>
>>71424273
Yes, there was.Mirror.
>>
>>71425131
vanity
>>
>>71425131
>tfw wanna write a psych-thriller about evil mirror people
>>
RIP Real Human Dean
>>
>>71420016
Same in good old arvada colorado
>>
>>71426487
Fuck off, Blogojevich
>>
Literally couldn't sit through it...

Fuck is it because of /pol/ that I can no longer enjoy modern movies? Or are modern movies utter fucking garbage?
>>
>>71422942
>when the synth imitates a beating heart in the last scene as the bionic woman stares at the pool, referencing The Tell-Tale Heart
das it mane
>>
File: Narciso-Caravaggio.jpg (56 KB, 1000x1221) Image search: [Google]
Narciso-Caravaggio.jpg
56 KB, 1000x1221
>>71425131
It's a film about the obsession for beauty. You know, narcicism.
You know, pic related
>>
>>71427879
You're garbage, my man.
>>
>>71427879
If it's because of the women, it's /pol/
Leave the goddamm place because it's really not healthy. Trust me.
You're gonna have bigger problems irl that not being able to watch a movie
>>
Cant wait til the torrent comes out so we can really discuss this
>>
MOTY as far as I'm concerned, I had a really good time
>>
File: lewd demon.webm (3 MB, 806x1696) Image search: [Google]
lewd demon.webm
3 MB, 806x1696
how was the sex scene, lads?
>>
Noticed Corfixen in the background in the "beauty is the only thing" scene. Also, there were swastikas on the walls in the final scene.
>>
>>71427879
It's because of Jews my Aryan friend
Refn is a Jew
>>
>>71429943
FUCK YOU LIV
>>
Did anyone else see people walk up and get out of the theater during the corpse sex scene?
>>
>>71430814

no but 80% of the theater starting laughing out loud and heckling

made me mad desu
>>
>>71431647
Yeah there was a lot of nervous laughter when I saw it. I had prescreening tickets and the crowd there was horrible.
>>
>>71429927
It made me rock hard, but that's not the sex scene in the movie.
>>
>>71430814
There were two other people in the theater when I saw it. One of them exasperatedly said "Oh come on" or something like that.
>>
>>71424031
>nothing lead up to it
lolwut the tension between the other models getting jealous and Ruby obviously being a lesbian didn't create enough tension? How about Keanu being an aggressive creep, no tension there? How about when that one model drank jesse's blood ?

Not showing Jesse getting cut up and eaten kept the movie classy and leaving it up to the imagination kept me guessing about how far these people are willing to go. It was like playing psychological hide and seek

Maybe you're the one who's dead inside
>>
I think if this movie was released before Drive it would be a critical success and his true masterpiece.

Now all this pleb critics just want Drive 2 because this and OGF are too "weird" for them so they pan it because they don't like to be faced with a challenging piece of art. They'd rather watch men in capes punch each other.

This'll be a cult classic one day. Much more staying power than OGF.
>>
>>71431944
It already has a cult following and is getting praised from almost everyone who has not been brainwashed into wanting everything to be politically correct. It will definitely be a cult classic.
>>
>>71424273
She tells her bf to fuck off, then clearly states that she knows all these models want to be her, she doesn't want to be them. Then the only woman who's been good to Jesse turns on her and tries to rape her.

It was then that she realized the depths of her power (beauty) and knew that no one be with her without either being jealous or wanting to fuck her.

Then of course we get a nice slice of necrophilia and ruby using the mirror to hint that shit is gonna get fucked up.

>almost nothing
k buddy
>>
>>71421565
There's very little in the way of boobs in the movie, actually.
>>
These never get released in Australia in cinemas.

Why is my country so pleb?
>>
>>71432140

don't worry, it's bombing so hard it will most likely be pulled from american theaters before this weekend to make more room for finding dory.
>>
>>71432140
aren't you also restricted from buying violent M rated video games?
>>
>>71432456
AND you can't produce porn there

Australia : where parents are so bad the government has to do it for you
>>
>>71427879

if you spend your life pondering things in /pol/ way, you generally can't enjoy anything in life. Thats a choice and a shitty one mate
>>
>>71430814
It was me, my friend, and one guy in the theater. No one made a single sound the while movie, it was the most awkward experience of my life, because everything was so damn quiet in that movie.
>>
>watching the movie
>theater is in midtown Manhattan so it's fairly crowded for a matinee
>nobody walks out for most of it
>not even during the lesbian necrophilia scene or any of the abstract scenes
>get to the end where Abbi eats the eyeball that Gigi vomited up
>this old man gets up and says "I've seen enough", walking out muttering "stupid, stupid" to himself.
>>
>>71433793
I had the opposite experience. Full theater filled with laughing idiots who couldn't handle uncomfortable scenes. I do admit that the movie is kind of physically draining and I definitely felt way different than I normally do after a movie but I still want to see it again but hopefully in a more comfy setting.
>>
Third act went full retard. Refn needs a handler.
>>
>>71434144

i didn't like the third act till the ending, then i understood it's purpose. could have been cut short 10 minutes or so. did drag a bit after jesse died
>>
File: TheNeonTrilogy.jpg (591 KB, 1936x936) Image search: [Google]
TheNeonTrilogy.jpg
591 KB, 1936x936
All right, why /tv/ is loving this and hated the guts of OGF?
>>
>>71434616
I loved OGF. I didnt like Drive that much.
>>
File: goose man.jpg (1 MB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
goose man.jpg
1 MB, 5000x5000
>>71434616
/tv/ loved OGF though
>>
>>71418164
it was meta-memery on memes
>>
>>71434616
Neon is the only state of being that I believe in now
>>
>>71420652
Which was younger, the real lolita next door, or the girl killed by the brother in OGF? Because I believe that with these numbers we can objectively rank the evilness of the two characters.
>>
>>71418871
>Refn knows his shit and seems well read.
He is a pure, cinematic genius. I can't think of anyone that can rival him at the moment.
>>
>>71431884

>it was like playing psychological hide and seek.

Good movie yeah but relax buddy
>>
>>71434206
Yeah that's what I mean. I would have been happy ending it when Jesse died or with the shower scene. Everything after that felt excessive and the eyeball made me laugh out loud.
>>
>>71434616
I think OGF is Refn's best.
>>
File: the-neon-demon-6.jpg (41 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
the-neon-demon-6.jpg
41 KB, 1000x667
This movie is bad and here is why:

The story and character depth is non-existent
Different plotlines seemingly come in and out with no explanation
There's a lot of tension in many of the scenes (good) that ultimately go nowhere (bad)
There are some nice shots but they are so forced that it just makes me cringe
Overall I just felt the film was very inorganic, I know Refn likes to improvise on set but this time you could really tell he didn't know wtf he was doing
>>
>>71437022
>I'm a plotfag
Embarrassing.
>>
>>71437078
I'm pretty sure that post is satire.
>>
>>71437078
>>71437126
>she's a makeup artist for top models and also cadavers

just wow
>>
>>71437022
Nah. The movie is just offbeat because of those reasons and you can take it or leave it, doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad film. It sort of reminded me of Blue Velvet in the sense that it does everything it can to be an oddball movie while still keeping itself grounded slightly. I think NWR purposely wanted to make a movie that led to a lot of unexpected loose ends. I sort of wish he would make a movie that's a bit more straight forward but I still think he's a visionary.
>>
>>71418871
More like Refn has been hanging around Jodorowsky too much
>>
>>71437227
Congratulations, you finally got the message of the link between beauty and death.
>>
>>71437230
What fucking loose ends? It's as complete of a movie as you're gonna get. It's a very straightforward movie.
>>
My tasteless brother liked it so that means its pleb trash for imdb drones much like DRIVE, BRONSON, OGF and Pusher 2
>>
>>71437329
I just mean the fact that there's not really an answer as to what happens with Keanu and that Chad guy. Not that there really needs to be, but also the ending is up to interpretation I think considering it's literally just the Aussie chick walking into the sun set.
>>
>>71437317
Good thing this is a thinking man's film or I never would've caught that subtle symbolism!
>>
>>71425131
Ever seen World on a Wire?
>>
>>71437405
Few movies show the conclusion of minor characters' story arc. It's not open to much interpretation, no. It's not an open "you decide what happened" ending.

Fucking Americans. I swear the discussions were better and more intelligent last week.
>>
>>71437524
Okay.
>>
>>71437524
Just wait till torrents come out. Then we'll lose discussion all together
>>
>>71437317

I didn't get that

I saw it more that the dead people she was working on were arguably more alive than the models. there's also the obvious parallels of both the models and the cadavers being "dead". but the dead cadaver (albeit ruby was fantacizing jesse) brought the only real and physical sense of pleasure in the entire movie. physical pleasure doesn't happen anywhere else, it's consistently rejected and turned away. except that one scene.

refn is a genius.
>>
>>71437405
>an answer as to what happens with Keanu and that Chad
What, do you need some Harry Potter epilogue scene? Force in a scene with Keanu Reaves getting arrested in the background for a feelgood effect?
>>
>>71437757
I'm not saying I fucking need that you retard, I'm saying people who don't understand the feeling that refn was aiming for would be thrown off by things like that.
>>
>>71437370
>pleb trash for imdb drones much like DRIVE, BRONSON, OGF and Pusher 2
what am i reading? ogf is below 6 and neon demon is struggling to remain a 7 on imdb
>>
>>71437827
They wouldn't be thrown off by that. This isn't a movie for children. He was a sleazy guy who was the manager in a motel, who pimped girls. That's literally all there is to his character.
>>
>>71434616
The Neon Kino trilogy
>>
File: 4morgan.png (263 KB, 614x521) Image search: [Google]
4morgan.png
263 KB, 614x521
>>71433917
Kek, hope that casual faggot died of a painful heart attack on on the way home after getting a call his daughter was raped. Why do people go to random movies and not look shit up beforehand like rating at least. I went to a pure release in Chicago and like everyone brought there kids for some reason. No one even left at the big parts towards the end. Just hooped and hollered. I hate people. This should have been released at art house theatres and indie places.
>>
File: 130871047234.gif (3 MB, 467x468) Image search: [Google]
130871047234.gif
3 MB, 467x468
>>71437022
>I'm stupid so it was a bad movie

Go watch civil war again or some other blockbuster you nigger faggot
>>
>>71437022
>The story and character depth is non-existent
>There's a lot of tension in many of the scenes (good) that ultimately go nowhere (bad)

Refn in a nutshell.
>>
File: 1321210527232.jpg (47 KB, 450x507) Image search: [Google]
1321210527232.jpg
47 KB, 450x507
I'm only here for the Elle pics and I'm pretty disappointed!
>>
>>71437895
You are missing my point.
>>
>>71424445
Sexual frustration.
>>
>>71434616
Film, Kino, Cinéma

If you disagree, you're wrong and should stop posting here.
>>
>>71438871
this scene had me on edge w/ my stomach in knots
>>
File: 1465151923151.jpg (2 MB, 2924x4094) Image search: [Google]
1465151923151.jpg
2 MB, 2924x4094
>>71438609
>>
>>71438687
Your point is garbage.
>>
File: Stefan Speaks.jpg (14 KB, 288x386) Image search: [Google]
Stefan Speaks.jpg
14 KB, 288x386
>>71424072
>he made sure he said American in his post
>>
>>71439238

More like the Semen Demon, amirite guise? HAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>71439282
You're garbage. Are you seriously implying that plebs would understand and be comfortable with the events this movie has and the direction it takes? People don't expect random ass scenes like the motel rape in """normal""" movies and most would think that scene, plus the corpse rape, and the bleeding under the moon etc were "unnecessary".
>>
>>71439431
No sane plebs are gonna complain that side-characters that appear for a few minutes didn't get any closure.
>>
>>71439745
Yes. Including the poster above who posted reasons they didn't like it.
>>
>>71437405

those things just added up to films dream-like atmosphere, they weren't very deep characters but just symbols who come and go
>>
>>71439864
I would agree.
>>
>>71438913
It only really got to me when he starts sticking the pin in his ear.
>>
>>71437022
Overall i agree with you. I didn't know he liked to improvise...and it really shows in this one. Some scenes have been stretched way longer than they should have.
In fact, this whole movie would have been probably more effective if it was a short movie of 20-30 minutes.
>>
>still no torrent
Why is this allowed?
>>
>>71441687
>being poor
>not supporting creatives you like
Why is THIS allowed?
Thread replies: 206
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.