[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fmg/-Filmmaking General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 620x310) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 620x310
>Just get some friends together and film shit!
>not like it's hard, all you need is a camera and some old buddies!
>Just start making stuff!

I get so frustrated when I hear this. I'm primarily a recluse, I don't have many friends of which to speak. Beyond that, the few friends I do have can never get together in the same place because we're all fuckin' busy at different times.

How do you all get around that? Making something worth watching?
>>
Filmmaking is the only art that almost completely reliant on collaboration, I imagine it's near impossible to do without any friends or associates
>>
>>71379500
>friends

Sounds easy...

Really, though it's hard as fuck to get your real friends in your mid to late 20s to help you on your films. Most have careers/jobs and are too busy to work on your autistic bullshit.

But that's what job search sites are for.

My goal for the next 3 yrs is to fully complete a script with multiple, necessary drafts; save up money/make investments/get financiers/kickstart/win lottery; and finally gather up a cast+crew to help me out.
Want my film to be officially filmed in 2019. Sooner if I can but I'm being realistic.
>>
>>71379569
It's difficult as shit, man. I tried doing a short almost entirely by myself once (just one other guy, who played a corpse), and I was ultimately disappointed because I couldn't really get my vision right. Also all the time I spent making fake blood ended up being pointless because at the last second I decided shooting almost entirely silhouettes in the scene it required was a good idea.
>>
File: image.jpg (180 KB, 1000x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
180 KB, 1000x1334
>>71379630
I wish you luck, my man.

And even with me being a little younger (19) it's tough because most of my friends have summer jobs, and my autistic ass only talks about making shit but never plans anything concrete. I mean, I had a friend draft some storyboards for me based on a short script I wrote (pic related) but that's as far as any of us ever got.
>>
>>71379500
All that green text is bullshit. Find some competent people, write a decent script, get some actors who aren't terrible, watch a bunch of student films and do the opposite.
>>
>>71379856
Thanks dude.
Yeah. I'm in the same boat but just half a decade older.
But it's all about making contacts. People you can use for free; someone free one night to hold a boom mic; a parent's friend's house you can use for a location; a friend with a car to use.
It also helps that if you do go to a school for film, to make friends with everyone. That way when you do graduate and you're working a shit job, wishing you can make movies, that you have people you can ask to help out.
>>
>>71380078
>watch a bunch of student films and do the opposite.
That's actually a good idea. Anyone got any playlists to shitty student films?
>>
>>71380405
I'm sure reddit's filmmaker subreddit has a bunch of garbage
>>
>>71379500
Don't waste your time. Half the game (if you don't already have connections) is networking. Learn some social skills
>>
>>71380405
Letterboxd is FILLED with student garbage.
>>
>>71380405
http://letterboxd.com/jameshealey/films/ratings/rated/none/decade/2010s/by/shortest/

Most of these are garbage. A few good ones in there, but most are terrible.
>>
>>71380531
I overheard a guy on the train yesterday talk about how he worked on seinfeld and blue brothers and some other films I don't remember. I wanted to talk to him but I was with my girlfriend and I thought that would be a weird and intrusive thing to do.
>>
>>71380649
Thanks a lot.

>>71380462
this is also a good idea.
>>
>>71380750
You're welcome. Watching Letterboxd shorts is a good way to boost your confidence too. It actually astounds me how untalented and effortless people can be.
>>
>>71379500
If you want any technical advice there's always a /film/ thread on /p/.
They never get beyond masturbating about the expensive shit they bought, though.
>>
>>71379569
>>71379676
Anyone else that god success making a film entirely on his own?
>>
>>71380971
>entirely on his own
No one in the history of ever. A film is not a novel. It cannot be made by one person.
>>
Put out a casting call and over all, just get out there.

It's not hard, just requires attention.

I was a greasy autist at sixteen and still managed to get several local actors as well as access to a hotel, a bar and a theatre to film in. My local theatre -one of them- was a registered charity so I just donated a few coin at the end but I got to use the whole building... in pursuit of the arts.

Trust me, there are a lot of local and budding actors looking for ANYTHING to flex their acting muscles.

Do NOT rely on friends.
>>
>>71380997
What if you really tried ???
>>
>>71380932
My bad, the thread on /p/ is called /vid/.
/film/ is for autists who still shoot on film.
>>
>>71381060
>autists who still shoot on film
Film is wonderful. It creates a completely different aesthetic from digital. There is no reason for one to exist and not the other.
>>
>>71381103
I'm of the opinion that art is the subject and not the medium.
Film has a great "feel" but nothing that can't be simulated by soulless machines.
>>
Woke up from that dream not to long ago
>>
>>71381156
>nothing that can't be simulated by soulless machines

You will never be a filmmaker.
>>
>>71381203
I'm more of an animator desu but there's a lot of overlap.
>>
>>71380649
Oh fuck off /Healy/
>>
>>71380971
the only film I can think of thats like this is "It's Impossible to Learn to Plow by Reading Books" by Linklater but he didn't become successful from it.
>>
>>71381304
Jealous I have more of a career than you, anon?
>>
>>71381328
technically he did seeing how he went onto making award-winning movies
>>
>>71381352
well I meant he didn't become successful from that film specifically. Slacker is what got him into hollywood.
>>
>>71381017
yeah but didnt you have to pay them? I feel like it would be much harder to find people to cooperate if they are not getting paid at all
>>
>>71381017
/thread

find real people with passion for the craft, not your beer drinking buddies.

I've made 8 short films and 1 feature and I'm only 24, you just gotta apply yourself
>>
>>71381451
Oh trust me it's very easy to get people to work for free, especially in NYC/LA. That being said, don't expect much.
>>
>>71381335
I just think that someone calling other's work shit while they make even worst shit, thinking they're the next Refn because they watch Haneke, is fucking cancer.
>>
>>71381451
>>71381460
there are a bunch of sites where you can find actors that require no pay. Tbqh most of them are just looking for acting gigs that they can put on their resume, and they tend to like low budget indie films because they have more freedom and room to work and end up having closer relationships with the creators, and then that synergy gets translated to the film
>>
>>71379500
Find a producer.

If you're wanting to direct, you'll need that other half to help keep things in line and be the person you can't as you craft the film.
>>
>>71381510
You can shit talk my films all you want but it's better than almost every other Letterboxd short.

>thinking they're the next Refn because they watch Haneke

nice projecting
>>
>>71381460
Yeah casting your dumbass friends only worked for Kevin Smith, and now hes JUSTED
>>
>>71381588
He's still rich, has friends in Hollywood, is making money, enjoying his life, losing weight

Can you really say he's JUSTED?
>>
>>71381579
No. They are not. You can delude yourself into that mentality but they are far from being better than what's on letterboxd.
>>
>>71381588
Idk I saw him in Indy this past weekend and he seemed to be enjoying himself.
>>
>>71379500
>I'm primarily a recluse, I don't have many friends of which to speak.
Then you can't make movies and you never will.
>>
>>71381639
yes because his films are shit and he cries over the flash.
>>
>>71379500
I have no problem with that idea, in theory. However, I demand people who are masters in their discipline. None of my friends, or even filmmaking associates, are masters of shit. If one aspect of your movie fails, then the whole thing fails. If your set design, props, makeup, lighting, camera work, editing, score/soundtrack, etc., fails, then the entire things fails.

But by all means, if you want to make a piece of shit, get all your friends together, who don't know how to do anything with any competency, and "film some shit."
>>
>>71381653
http://letterboxd.com/director/alex-bel/
http://letterboxd.com/director/andre-byman/
http://letterboxd.com/director/rohit-shivdas/
http://letterboxd.com/director/wes-ball-3/

I know it's fun to hate me, but if you think the garbage people like this put out is better than what I make, you're the one that is truly delusional here.
>>
>>71381639
>>71381639
you were right until you said "losing weight"
>>
>>71381708
He obviously doesn't care because he just makes films for himself
>>
>>71381768
He has been though. I don't blame you if you don't keep up with celebrity shit but it's true.
>>
>>71381758
I'm not denying their is awful shit.

But you act as though your work is Lynch while these other shorts are Uwe Boll.
It's all shit, their work plus your shit.
>>
>>71381811
I've only said my films are better. Not to mention most of those don't even qualify as a film. I have some bad films and some decent ones. This is my opinion and you'll have to accept you won't change my mind.
>>
Anybody here subscribe to any filmmaking channels?

https://youtu.be/t1myw_0W5E8
Dis Nigga's alright
>>
>>71381882
he's prettey good.
>>
>>71380462
>reddit's filmmaker subreddit
it's just a big tech circlejerk, most of the "professionals" are camera/lights/sound/post so they talk shop a lot.
>>
Well, this has been a nice thread.

I'm wanting to do an action sequence. Just to prove to myself that I can, and that I'm not just some Drive-worshipping pussy-footing all-talk-no-action wannabe.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCQGQ5qBQTA
>>
>>71382685
is this the thread theme?
>>
>>71382685
Kek
>>
File: DiGal.jpg (137 KB, 927x391) Image search: [Google]
DiGal.jpg
137 KB, 927x391
>>71379500
>Just get some friends together and film shit!
>not like it's hard, all you need is a camera and some old buddies!
>Just start making stuff!

friends cant act, Camera needs expensive side equipment. Need a truck full of lights. Suddenly the budget is so expensive per day you cant just "film shit" but everything is on a super tight schedule. Crew inflated so much you need a seperate catering department. "Old buddies" dont have the level of expertise anymore.

Ye no. Filming is not something you can do with a few buddies. Get professionals or semi professionals. No one wants a set where a bunch of lazy friends with no focus or pressure just "film shit"

Anyways. Its already a few weeks old. But some might remember the stills I posted back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgc1WXS21Vc
>>
I am interested in movie making. I have a concept. But I'm unsure - whether to setup a few characters and place them in the plot to see how they react

or

craft the story first and then have normal characters reacting to the plot.

Also, I don' have the luxury of friends. gotta go professional I think.
>>
>>71380405
I used to study creative media at college and I have a whole bunch of links to shitty student films.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JulVxx-wZNM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUX0zbDcMj8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL42QWZJOT0 - Personal favorite

And finally my teams film, which turned out to be one of the worst (the director got a job at mcdonalds and stopped caring) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11-BlhbJGZI
>>
>>71379500
A friend of mine who I work with said it best. "It's 90%networking and 10% working"

If you're not good at socializing and making friends then your chances of making it above the line is stacked heavily against you.
>>
>>71381103
Digital has caught up with film dude. The only thing film has over digital these days is that you can play with color more. It's cool working with film, but wholly unnecessary.
>>
JUUST
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.