[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so what exactly happened in this movie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4
File: lynchkino.png (989 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
lynchkino.png
989 KB, 1024x576
so what exactly happened in this movie?
>>
did they fug?
>>
>>71367993

Woman pays an assassin to kill her lover after being betrayed. She then has a dream in which her unconscious attempts to convince her that the murder did not in fact take place and the lover she killed was actually incredibly dependent upon her.

It's Vertigo in reverse
>>
>>71368066

Good synopsis.
>>
Too deep for you kid
>>
>>71368066
Pretty much this. Although the plot does not have to be understood to enjoy this film
>>
File: boo.jpg (79 KB, 780x409) Image search: [Google]
boo.jpg
79 KB, 780x409
>>
>>71368239
''I memed on the internet, mommy!''
>>
>>71368240

While I agree with you entirely I do think that having an explanation, regardless how loose, is somewhat beneficial. The scene when they kiss in bed as Betty yearningly repeats "I'm in love with you" becomes far more devastating when you realize this is a fantasy that is only occurring in her dream. It is so moving and disturbing that her love is so vast that it manifests itself in this very poignant way in her dream.
>>
>>71368297
what was her fucking problem?
>>
>>71368297
What was this thing again?
>>
>>71368377
Represents her insecurities and flaws (I think?), which is why she and the guy are so absolutely terrified of it.
>>
>>71367993
Betty got buttmad that the director picked Rita instead of her so she constructed an escapist fantasy where she was an up and coming star whose success was stopped by malevolent forces outside of our control (the shadowy organisation) and also that she was in a lesbianic relationship with Rita cause she secretly had the hots for her
>>
>>71367993

She had an unrequited lesbian crush on her friend. When her friend coldly brushed her off she had the woman killed in a contract hit.

When the reality of the murder set in and she was overwhelmed by guilt, she sunk into a psychotic dream state until finally, something triggered her memory, (the green key), and her guilt overwhelmed her and she went insane.
>>
>>71368477

what makes you think it was unrequited?

I think they were probably lovers but Betty was far more invested in the relationship and ended up getting cuckolded.
>>
>>71368359
>her
>>
>>71368474
>>71368477

why couldn't Lynch make a straight forward movie instead of all ''this is all a dream LMAO'' bullshit.
>>
File: pKrv5rK.jpg (18 KB, 605x265) Image search: [Google]
pKrv5rK.jpg
18 KB, 605x265
>If you do good... i'll see you one more time. If you do bad ... I'll see you two more times.

What was his fucking problem?
>>
NO HAY BANDA
>>
>>71368658
because the bullshit is fun to watch?
>>
>>71368423
I think the guy that saw it first was an investigator wasn't it?
Also I thought it was her on drug addictment
>>
>>71368658
>see elephant man
>>
>>71368658
he could, he just didn't

you could get that anywhere else
>>
>>71368297
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>71368066
I didn't get any of that from the movie. All I got was that I was supposed to notice something during the theatre scene.
>>
>>71368658
DUDE UNRELIABLE NARRATOR LMAO
>>
>>71368707
The first guy was in her dream, so it was my understanding that his anxiety and fear really represents hers, as we see her encounter the thing herself later on.
>>
Mulholland drive scared the shit out of me i don't know why. Like its the sort of fear that can't be explained and yet so familiar. Like a nightmare that you can't wake up from. Shit like the Conjuring and Scream are horror but this is horror on another level. That feeling of uncertainty, surrealism, music, everything.
>>
>>71368658

it's an exploration of our relationship with movies which we know inherently to be falsities/fantasies yet which can still exert a giant emotional toll on us as viewers despite knowing they are merely illusions

it's also about the ways we deceive ourselves and manipulate our reality into something more acceptable to ourselves

the way the movie is made is completely related to what its concerns are and it is the style of the movie that is responsible for its huge emotional impact

tl;dr you're just an unthinking pleb mate
>>
>>71368658
well, he did make 'The Straight Story'
>>
>>71368658
He felt like making a masterpiece instead
>>
>>71368809
>this is horror on another level

Psychological horror is best horror.
>>
>>71368809
Yes same here. Watched the film for the first time 12 years ago, I've re-watched it like 5 or 6 times so I know what's gonna happen at any moment. And still I spend the whole film with unease, with tension. Just thinking about it makes me nervous.
>>
David Lynch makes a jaded/cynical summary of Hollywood and what it does to people and the culture around it

It's really not worth the fucking praise it gets. He has done better Twin Peaks episodes for Christ's sake.
>>
>>71368809
David Lynch is very good at that. You should watch Lost Highway. It has a very similar atmosphere
>>
>>71368066
Psh, nice pleb interpretation bro.
>>
>>71367993

This movie is basically Lost Highway in reverse.
>>
Lost Highway > Mullholland Dr.
>>
>>71368897
>It's really not worth the fucking praise it gets.
Just because it's jaded and cynical, or do you have any actual criticisms?
>>
>>71368609
It was played by a woman
>>
>>71368924
I disagree
>>
>>71368784

Let me give you an example of one entry point into understanding the movie.

Remember the assassin who appears early in the movie to kill that bookie and retrieve the black book? The man fumbles the job so laughably in an absurdly over-the-top manner to denote his extreme incompetence. The reason this scene is included is because it is meant to represent Diane's unconscious attempting to convince her that the assassin she hired to kill her lover might have bungled the job. It's her desperate hope that the man she hired would fail because of her immense guilt and her continued love. The reason even this scene is poignant is because it occurs after the murder has presumably already taken place.
>>
>>71368918
u wat?
>>
>>71368918
>>71368924

Hive mind.
>>
>>71368914

Care to share yours?

I don't pretend to think mine is definitive. I think both the movie and Lynch would be happy to know that lots of fans of the movie have a different take on what exactly is occurring and what it all means.
>>
People should know about the development of this movie before they delve too deep into it.

Lynch wanted to make a TV series. Some of the scenes in this movie, like the man in the diner who has a heart attack after seeing the hideous homeless person, were scenes intended for the TV show.

These scenes had NOTHING to do with the plot of the movie, but he used them anyway because LOL SO CRYPTIC.

I like this movie, but Lynch is a bit of a hack. It's also the same plot of Lost Highway, only in reverse.
>>
wasn't this going to be a series? and he made a pilot ? then he turned it into a movie instead. It would've worked better as a series desu
>>
>>71368958
I find the arguments and portrayal of the coldness and ruthlessness of the culture rather lacking. Some standout scenes like SILENCIO are great.

>>71369070
This is pretty much true. There's some unfounded and empty imagery that you need to take for granted from last time I watched this film.

And Lynch's done better films.
>>
Lynch has only made one kino movie and that is The Elephant Man.
>>
>>71369070

Okay, those scenes were made for another project. How does that mean that they can't be integrated into another movie with a different purpose? You haven't given an argument at all, you've just described the genesis of the movie as though that was a damning critique of some merit. The very fact that Lynch was able to make something so coherent and affecting by using the scenes intended for the tv show should be a testament to his ability, not a point for criticism.

Los Angeles Plays Itself is one of the best movies of the century and is entirely stitched together from clips from other movies that the director had no part in.
>>
>>71368976
>it is meant to represent Diane's unconscious attempting to convince her that the assassin she hired to kill her lover might have bungled the job. It's her desperate hope that the man she hired would fail because of her immense guilt and her continued love. The reason even this scene is poignant is because it occurs after the murder has presumably already taken place.

Okay. I would have never interpreted that from that. It seems like a completely random conjecture. I'm not saying you're wrong, I do believe this movie has been completely figured out, it's just that none of that storytelling makes sense for me. If it was a video game I'd say it has bad signposting. I do understand that the key is her perspective but I'd never figured out to use it on my own because I doubt I'd watch the movie 5 times until something clicks or not.
>>
I have watched every Lynch movie except Inland Empire. Is is worth watching?
>>
>>71369232
No, 2 hours or so is too much of an investment for a critically-acclaimed director you like.
>>
>>71369223

I don't really think it's all that random a conjecture. It may sound like that if you've only seen the film once and found yourself mostly baffled but to me it makes pretty clear sense. I understand where you're coming from though.

I think even without explicating some form of strict narrative sense from every single disparate scene the movie still has a tremendous impact. The sense of anxiety and terror that it evokes through its entire runtime is deeply impressive.
>>
>>71369223
It's easier to figure that out when you understand that the entire dream is Dianes unconscious attempt to repress what actually happened and replace it with the fictional reality of the dream. When you watch the scene with that context in mind it becomes clearer.
>>
>>71368658
Why do all movies need to be straightforward? Do you even surrealism? Are you stupid?
>>
>>71368359
She represents failure, which Betty is deathly afraid of.

The man who goes behind the dumpster was her all along, as later in the movie they literally trade places, and do the same things.
>>
>>71369232

every movie from a filmmaker you like is worth watching, even their flops

I have only seen Inland once and I can't say I loved it all that much. It is an extremely jarring, unpleasant watch in a lot of ways. There are some great stretches in it but from what I remember it felt pretty incoherent to me.
>>
>>71369232
better than MD as it tries to be a film instead of a shitty mashup
>>
File: Mulh15.jpg (147 KB, 1918x1148) Image search: [Google]
Mulh15.jpg
147 KB, 1918x1148
what is she supposed to represent besides saying silencio?
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.