[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pacing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
Why do modern movies move so fast? Jokes have no time before the punchline, characters deliver lines so fast and CGI events jam ten things into 3 seconds

I'm watching MIB3 and immediately in this scene it feels like they are phoning in their lines, and its just CUT /CUT /CUT with no gaps in dialog or motion
>>
>>71275101
Good thread but everyone is shitposting in meme threads. I hate what this place has become.
>>
>>71275295
Maybe its just a bad film, the whole thing feels like B-roll sequel
>>
>>71275405
It was a bad film and an unnecessary sequel. It didn't take chances or tell a different story. You can hate Alien 3 or The Phantom Meance but you can tell they wanted to do something different and risky.
>>
>>71275295
complaining about memes is a meme
>>
>>71275521
Is 2 any better? The first one was done well so I'm inclined to like it better
>>
>>71275586
2 was godawful trash. I dont even remember it. 3 was actually better than 2.
>>
>>71275101

Because Neo-Hollywood is catering for the ADD normie crowd that can't into cinema and need to see a ton of unnecessary coverage coupled with awfully fast editing. Even the non-retarded films coming from Hollywood have adopted worse film making techniques and people still think these films are well made. There are exceptions of course but the quantity of these films coming from Hollywood is staggering.
>>
Because drug addled kike-servant degenerates make them. Try watching movies that aren't garbage mainstream propaganda.
>>
>>71276266
Are there any modern films that actually have good pacing?
>>
>>71276311
The Lobster
>>
>>71275101

Because if you don't do this the plebs say "literally nothing happens"

see: everyone on /tv/ including you, faggot
>>
>>71275101
"Pacing" is just a buzzword used by people who have no idea of what they're talking about. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>71276311

Depends what tastes you have senpai. Are you talking out of the Hollywood industry or world cinema?

Leviathan, Berberian Sound Studio, Love Exposure and Synecdoche, New York all have great pacing in my opinion. None of these are from Hollywood though.
>>
>>71276311
blue ruin
>>
>LE JOKES NEED TO BE VERY LONG AND EXTREMELY TEDIOUS I KNOW SO BECAUSE I SAW A REDDIT POST ON IT XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TG-2f8nAYc

neck yourself OP
>>
>>71276488

This. Just like "tone".
>>
File: 1466719558365.png (123 KB, 954x383) Image search: [Google]
1466719558365.png
123 KB, 954x383
>>71275101
We need more British films. Americans have lost their way.
>>
>>71276488
you're right. pacing is an actual way to describe a sequence of events but 99% of the time it's some simpleton who hasn't studied film or even literature and just uses it as a way to "spice up" their critique of something while being incapable of doing so any other way.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NYpz_j3e38

Was this movie any good? Seems to me just from this trailer they've got the timing right.
>>
>>71276730

It's enjoyable if you like classic Hollywood and don't care about tight plots.
>>
>>71276730
That trailer represents the absolute best that movie gets.

It's actually a solid film, but it's unfocused as all hell. It just sorta moves through a sequence of characters barely held together by a plot.

Granted, Linklater did the same basic thing with Slacker (and that had even less of a plot) but that one was hailed as a classic while this one was largely shat on by regular audiences.
>>
>>71276650

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLqfechd_qQ
>>
>>71276266
>>71276438
>>71276488
>>71275101
it's really because of Youtube Microwave culture, people don't have patience for slow paced films.

If you are in any University Film studies class you will see so many people who are bored by long tracking shots or scenes that are intentionally long like in Walkabout
>>
the last movie I've seen in a long, long time that took its time was The Witch. Horror movies are a good bet because the genre requires at least some sort of pacing if they're going to be able to scare you at all.
>>
Editors and writers pandering to lowest common denominator. Just finished rewatching Drive. You could probably fit all of the dialogue in that movie on two pages yet its still nearly two hours long.
>>
>>71275101
the actual answer is educational systems

modern educational systems are very wide focused, and tend to jump from topic to topic, this is especially so in the united states where their educational system is quite bad and not built to be in depth, people get used to taking in information in this way.

film is just reflecting that.
>>
>>71276311
I love the pacing of Tarintino movies, they have such long scenes with lots of dialog. I like that.
>>
>>71276311

Hollywood?

>Mad Max
>Michael Clayton
>No Country

There are films that are incredibly well paced and edited, but films like Tak3n, which attempts to appeal to the lowest common denominator are atrocious. Hollywood editing in modern films is just disgusting.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCKhktcbfQM
>>
>>71278282

Fuck off, retard.
>>
>>71275101
They did the same thing in the new independence day. Everything is sped up like .3 seconds
>>
>>71276826

Everything you said is right. I feel it failed because it seems to drift from vignette to vignette. I read the script before it came out and I was surprisingly underwhelmed. Of course it made its money back and the Coens continute to produce the goods, but itt certainly is a 'lesser' Coen film.

A Serious Man and Inside Llewyn Davis are so criminally underrated it's not funny.
>>
>>71278499
Inside Llewyn Davis has its fans, I wouldn't call it underrated. Didn't it get some Oscar noms as well?

A Serious Man on the other hand is totally overlooked, it's one of the best Coen films and people don't know it exists.
>>
>>71278499
>Inside Llewyn Davis
>criminally underrated
it was the first Coen bros. film to be entered into the Criterion collection and is often considered their best
>>
>>71278906
It deserved original score, it was grossly underrated imo.

I agree with ASM. It's probably because it was too 'Jewy' for mainstream audiences desu.
>>
They do the shaky CGI shit that jams 100 things into the frame so you don't notice how fake it looks
>>
>>71276266
This is really noticeable in Nolan films, I can barely watch them anymore because they're so fucking fast. Like who talks like that, it breaks all immersion
>>
>>71278953
I remember A Single Man coming out around the same time and being confused
>>
>>71275101
That's exactly how ID4-2 was.
>>
>>71278953
At the time ASM came out, the Coens were probably best known for NCFOM, Fargo, and Lebowski, so audiences probably knew them as neo-noir filmmakers who specialized in criminal farces, rather than the existential satirists of the human condition they are. This is probably why Burn After Reading, an inferior film, actually got more unanimous praise, since it fit the mold of what audiences believe a "Coen" film should be. I do think Llewyn Davis may be their best, and another successful outing in which they make a truly dark and existentially frightening film without resorting to a violent crime narrative. You can see traces of the same in ASM.
>>
>>71276258
this poster is retarded
>>
>>71277499
Does he just hate Americans or something?
>>
>>71275101
I don't think bad pacing is really a recent development. Though the most rushed movie I could think of is spiderman 3 and that's pretty recent.
>>
File: MIB ponder.webm (2 MB, 720x390) Image search: [Google]
MIB ponder.webm
2 MB, 720x390
>>71275101

This is why MIB 1 is the best.
>>
I've noticed this too. It's part of the reason Independence Day is many orders of magnitude better than ID2.

I genuinely believe films are getting worse every decade since the 80s/early 90s
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.