[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Throughout all this Ghostbusters remake hullabaloo, where was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8
File: 1466167863246[1].jpg (273 KB, 1058x800) Image search: [Google]
1466167863246[1].jpg
273 KB, 1058x800
Throughout all this Ghostbusters remake hullabaloo, where was the hate train for the remakes of Robocop and Total Recall?

I felt like I was the only one that was truly livid that two classic Verhoeven movies were being tainted with boorishly CGI driven imitators, and still haven't seen either out of protest.

Yet, people were okay with Total Recall (despite the charisma vacuum that is Colin Farrell) and people even LIKED the new Robocop despite it lacking any good satire (A parody of Fox News and Bill O'Reilly? Oh my god this has never been done before!) and a fun but at the same time, plausibly gritty looking future (ED-209's in Iraq lmao)

So truly, why does the new Ghostbusters get the hate? Why the backlash against reboots now?
>>
File: Bait.webm (785 KB, 760x314) Image search: [Google]
Bait.webm
785 KB, 760x314
>>
>>71273192
I assume because those two movies didn't try to orchestrate backlash against people calling them bad by associating with obnoxious political groups.
>>
There were hate trains for both

nobody gave a shit about the total recall reboot
there were alot of people unhappy with robocop when it was announced

Ghostbusters was just a bigger franchise so the reboot is getting bigger hate
>>
>>71273192
The trailers were competent enough. And when people, myself included, said they looked like shit we weren't called sexist bigots. Shit snowballed from there with (((Ghostbusters)))
>>
JUST
>>
>>71273192
Robocop actually wasn't all that bad. Nowhere remotely as good as the original obviously, but it was at least competent.

Total Recall was pathetic.
>>
File: 1406043594548.png (192 KB, 356x373) Image search: [Google]
1406043594548.png
192 KB, 356x373
You weren't here when they came out.

You're a newfaggot, and probably a redditor.

That's the answer.
>>
>>71273192

There WAS backlash though you underage cunt

Christ even Judge Dredd got shit in the beginning for being a reboot
>>
>>71273192
>hullabaloo
>>
>>71274076

Furthermore - though you don't deserve any more of my attention - the Ghostbusters remake has a built in modern critical defense in its female cast, making it a ripe target. Also, it's a Sony Pictures production. Which, after the huge leak, indicates pure money grubbing and soulless manipulation.

It deserves hate by any rational means.
>>
>>71273192
These two were just cynical cash grabs, but they didn't have some social agenda to push. Using a beloved franchise as a feminist lightning rod is going to cause more outrage than simply making a low quality remake/reboot
>>
>>71273192
They're fucking shit, everyone knows it. No one tried to pretend they would be good though.
>>
File: 1465724715175.jpg (21 KB, 404x399) Image search: [Google]
1465724715175.jpg
21 KB, 404x399
>>71273192
>people even LIKED the new Robocop

I refuse to believe that, I don't know a single person who did not think all it did was spit on a classic.
>>
>>71273192
Why do you keep making this thread? I've seen it several times.
>>
>>71273192

everybody hated both of these when they came out
>>
>>71273192
Nobody defended Robocop or Total Recall. Hard to get as worked up when everyone shits on it.
>>
File: GhostBait.png (3 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
GhostBait.png
3 KB, 320x200
>>71273192
Stop spamming this same thread every day for fuck's sake. Every time you post it, dozens of people refute you with anecdotes and links like this...

http://news.nationalpost.com/arts/movies/fans-react-poorly-after-robocop-trailer-confirms-their-fears-about-the-remake

I know it's summertime and you're bored at night while your mom works at the strip club but please fucking give this up and get a new hobby like building a model starship Enterprise or something.
>>
i don't recall anyone who criticized those other 2 movies being labeled as a sexist bigot by SJWs, media, and the people who worked on the movies.

you are not allowed to say ANYTHING bad about new ghostbusters without being told it's because you hate women.
>>
>>71274429

Not OP but it was better than it had any right to be. Had it not been hindered by studio interference, I imagine it would be a solid hard-R niche movie like Dredd.

At the very least, it didn't just emotionlessly retread the original movie. It had its own unique plot and tone. It was unfortunately, very obviously, heavily altered by kike producers, struggling to reach that 14-17 year old action movie market. This is evident not only in the presentation but behind the scenes leaks, one of which shows the director saying he's more fucking miserable than he's ever been making a movie, and that everything he hoped and worked for was destroyed.

It doesn't have any right to exist, sure, but unlike the Total Recall remake, it had a creative spark included somewhere in the production.
>>
File: 1447682795059.gif (640 KB, 250x170) Image search: [Google]
1447682795059.gif
640 KB, 250x170
I'd wager most of this misogynist hate towards the movie is either manufactured or egged on by Sony itself. With Robocop and Total recall, they had no hook. Remember the Interview? How it was "your american duty" to go see it to screw over the North Koreans? Then it turned out to be a boring overly long stoner comedy that was hardly even memorable? This Ghostbusters shit is the same deal. A marketing campaign designed to make their movie into some kind of "statement" or instill some kind of righteous need to pay for a ticket. It's sad so many people have been suckered. Every bit of attention it gets it just furthers their ends.
>>
>>71273192
I still refuse to see that piece of shit robocop remake.
How hard is it to lose the arm?
>>
>>71273192
If the Robocop and Total Recall remakes starred women and sold themselves on being feminist and called everyone who didn't like the movies misogynist, you better believe there would've been more controversy and hate surrounding them.

People who have legitimate criticisms of something don't appreciate being call nerdy misogynistic manbabies.

I so cannot wait for the movie to come out and all the movie's defenders are going to have egg all over their faces.
>>
>>71273192
>Throughout all this Ghostbusters remake hullabaloo, where was the hate train for the remakes of Robocop and Total Recall?
It was there, but the movies ended up being semi competent. They were still entirely pointless and a waste of time, but they weren't nearly as terrible as people were expecting.
>>
ロボコップとジャッジドレットだろ
>>
RoboCop and Total Recall were remakes. The new Ghostbusters isn't and is just faggy girl power shit.
>>
>>71273192
Thing is, the originals of those were not nearly as well-loved as Ghostbusters.
>>
File: outrage.png (105 KB, 290x290) Image search: [Google]
outrage.png
105 KB, 290x290
>>71274624
Yeah, it's not genuine outrage, it's just the marketing department throwing out strawman arguments, trying to eke out every last little drop of potential publicity.
>>
>>71273192
The only improvement that the new Robocop made was the actual sense of body-horror that you get from Murphy's accident // surgery. In the original it was more "SCIENCE IS GOOD!" but the big reveal of Murphy's vital organs and whatnot in 2014 version is pretty gnarly.
>>
>>71274591
That's so sad. When I was young I thought the only jobs that crushed your creative spark were the ones that you actively chose (like working in an office or something), and that creativity would pull enough of a crowd regardless of the quality of the end product (which I still kind of believe, there's some total trash out there that gets points for being unique) which backers would support as a result.
>>
>>71273192
People hated the idea of a RoboCop remake so much that they made this satirical piece:
https://vimeo.com/85903713

And the best part? No one ever remembers these remakes afterwards. No one remembers the Footloose one either.
>>
The Robocop remake was trash, but at least they tried a little bit. The Total Recall remake is one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Showgirls remake when?
>>
I would trade all the hate for ghostbusters for hate against BEN-FUCKING-HUR BEING REMADE
>>
>>71274076
I bet he was a 9gagger.
>>
>>71273192
Those films aren't as beloved as Ghostbusters....
>>
>>71273192
>where was the hate train for the remakes of Robocop and Total Recall

They came and went, much like the movies.

There wasn't some ideological narrative pushed in media to convince you that you were a bad person for not seeing them or not liking having them remade.

> Yet, people were okay with Total Recall

It flopped.

> people even LIKED the new Robocop

This one actually doubled the money in the boxoffice but nobody really paid attention since and it can't have been that much of a success if they're not talking about a sequel.
>>
Soundtrack for thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE
>>
>>71273192
>people even LIKED the new Robocop
lolno
the little hope people had for the movie went to shit after the tacticool design and when they shut down production for a couple of months to try ad salvage it
>>
>>71273192
>where was the hate train for the remakes of Robocop and Total Recall?

No hate train was needed, because everybody simply agreed that those movies were bad and unnecessary. No one tried to defend them. Ghostbusters would have gotten the same sort of treatment, if people simply didn't have the audacity to defend it. However, since PC fuckwits decided that not loving this particular helping of bullshit is sexist (because women can't be in a shit movie apparently), there's a backlash.

Moral of the story: do not attempt to defend shit like this.

>Why the backlash against reboots now?

Everybody with a brain has always been against reboots. There has been exactly one good reboot/remake in all movie history, and that was The Thing. All the thousands of others were 0/10.
>>
>>71278897

The little hope people had for the movie went away as soon as it was announced to not be R-rated.
>>
I remember dozens of threads about how the new Robocop looked like shit though. No one noticed that Total Recall got remade.
>>
>>71278675
How measure that on scale dummy
What a dumb post

I bet you so smugly hit the post button like "Ahah I figured it out all in 1 sentence! Im so smart!"
>>
>>71273192
Total Recall was a fine cyberpunk movie that had the Biel-Beckinsale power-team working in its favour.

Robocop was merely mediocre.

There was no reason to violently hate either movie.
>>
>>71273192
When people said those movies look like shit, feminists and the leftwing media didn't make it a news story.
They were quickly forgotten for the shitty cash grabs they were. Just how Ghostbusters will be once SJW find a new target to blow out of proportion.
>>
File: olympic.jpg (181 KB, 1920x1358) Image search: [Google]
olympic.jpg
181 KB, 1920x1358
>>71279184
I bet it'll be the 2016 Summer Olympic games. I guarun-fucking-tee you someone will have a fit over people not being able to compete in their preferred gender.
>>
>>71274079
>>71274079
Dredd did not deserve the slack it got. It was actually a really good movie and a good portrayal of Dredd. Not once did he take his helmet off just like the comics. Very grounded but very close to the comics. This was a cheaply made movie, just like Deadpool, that should have made millions. We should be at Dredd 3: Dark Judges by now.

Robocop was okay, atleast it wasn't PC, a woman, and a nigger robocop. What did piss me off though was that, as usual, all the criminals in Detroit are white. It was also PG 13 and you could see how PG it was. No blood, gore, and no showing of actual people get shot. It was covered up with robots or thermal vision. Atleast Robocop wasn't a nigger, if you don't count the suite.
>>
>>71279184
>When people said those movies look like shit, feminists and the leftwing media didn't make it a news story.

This right here is the reason.

By any objective measure, Ghostbusters remake looks like absolute shit. Just like all other remakes ever. However, Ghostbusters is the only case where we were told, repeatedly, that dismissing it reflexively (which is the natural thing to do) is sexist and racist and mansplaining and buzzword buzzword buzzword.

Ask yourselves: if AVGN had made a video called "I refuse to review the Total Recall remake", would anyone in the world have given a shit? Would NYT have written a hit piece on him? I doubt it.
>>
>>71273192

They were both shit, but that Total Recall remake was exceptionally shitty. Kate Beckinsale's acting alone probably lost it 30% on RT.
>>
>>71273192
at least it can be said that the robocop and total recall reboots tried to update the movies with better cgi and shit. the new ghostbusters doesn't seem to be interested in doing that. it's a cash grab that tries to bring nothing new to the table. if you were to put out the same shit trailers but with four dudes (who would all be attractive), they would get the same backlash but no one would care because they couldn't cry sexism.
>>
>>71279273
>Dredd did not deserve the slack it got.

That idiom doesn't mean what you think it means.
>>
>>71273192
I certainly remember people being pissed off at the idea of a Robocop remake, especially in PG-13. The biggest difference here is that the creators actually decided to fucking fight back, like a kid being bullied on the internet.
>>
>>71273192
what are you talking about? Robocop and Total Recall got tons of hate.
>>
>>71273192

OP stop making this thread every night.
>>
>>71273192

I liked the Total Recall remake better than the original. The original is just a bad shlocky movie with poor writing and bad acting that aged horribly. The remake is a lot more compelling for me and just an all around better movie.
>>
>>71279567
>I liked the Total Recall remake better than the original.

Then you have shit taste and are easily impressed by CGI.
>>
>>71279696

It had better writing, better acting, and better pacing as well.
>>
>>71274079
>Christ even Judge Dredd got shit in the beginning for being a reboot

Dredd is a good catch. It might be the only case ever where the reboot is agreed by everyone to be an enormous improvement.

You'll note that it was remaking a failed shit film, not a beloved classic.
>>
>>71279720

No it didn't.

Fuck, I don't even need to elaborate here. You're just insane if you believe that. Arnie isn't great, but he was a hundred times better than whoever the douchelord was who "acted" in the remake. You could actually see a non-zero number of emotions on him, and get a sense that Arnie and Evil Arnie are different in personality and not just because one has a beard.
>>
This is a thread made by Sony shills, I'm sure of that now.

See you in your next thread Shillbot
>>
>>71273192
Many in this thread have already pointed out how those movies got their fair share of hate on announcement and release, plus the fact that lacking a dedicated "defence" team, there was no reason to escalate the criticism.

HOWEVER there's another element at play here. Total Recall was a great action sci-fi, but nobody was waiting for a sequel. It told a complete story and a sequel would just ruin the ambiguous conclusion. Robocop got more than enough sequels of diminishing quality. Nobody was asking or waiting for more as it went through the natural film franchise life cycle. Compare that to Ghostbusters, whose fans have been waiting for a third part for decades. Before his death, Ramis constantly talked about his desire to make one more great Ghostbusters movie and fans continually got their hopes up anytime the subject was mentioned, only to be disappointed when nothing continued to happen. And then finally a new GB is announced (after Ramis' death) and it's a reboot/remake with a gimmick, and all the original cast coming back... as different characters. No wonder people are pissed.
>>
Total Recall reboot was a big disappointment. I though the look of the world and the first half was pretty good, but then they butchered the second half, made Cranston boring with terrible writing and somehow managed to do the psychological aspect worse than the original, which is really dumb because that's the one thing I though the new one would do better.
>>
>>71273192

Is this baitkino?
>>
>>71273192

That's because both movies ended up being so bland i often forget they exist at all. You can't hate things you don't remember.
>>
>>71273192
>Yet, people were okay with Total Recall
what kind of niggerspeak is this?

Total Recall 20-ish is a blasphemy toward the 1990 masterpiece.
>>
>>71273192

Misogyny.
>>
>>71281388

it's a repost.
>>
>>71273192
People hated both of those remakes. It never got any further than people going "these movies will suck" because no one felt the need to defend them.

When people said the new ghostbusters was going to suck, other people leapt to it's defence, which made the detractors escalate their attacks, which made the defenders escalate and so on.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.