[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is there such a lack of quality short films/skits on youtube?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: COMPUTER.png (359 KB, 682x408) Image search: [Google]
COMPUTER.png
359 KB, 682x408
Why is there such a lack of quality short films/skits on youtube? Can anyone recommend some channels?
>>
File: 1466531978975.jpg (13 KB, 305x385) Image search: [Google]
1466531978975.jpg
13 KB, 305x385
Hey, Becky & Joe put a lot of work into Don't hug Me I'm Scared
>>
because youtube culture is pure cancer and most of the content creators are only interested in click baiting
>>
>>71265941
That series gave me a sliver of hope that something good can be out there

>>71266032
I'm starting to think every media site is now cancer besides 4chan
>>
File: 1465950548795.jpg (24 KB, 350x550) Image search: [Google]
1465950548795.jpg
24 KB, 350x550
>>71266119
Well, many of us (You)-bait and that's up to you to decide whether it's fun or cancer
>>
>>71266032
This.

Millennials are fucking morons.
>>
>>71266162
it's really a sad state of affairs when you realize this anime infested shithole is better than 99% of the internet
>>
Because it's not financially viable. YouTube rewards people who make consistently long videos which hold viewer's attention - ie. let's play videos or Minecraft videos or unboxing kids toys, etc. You could start a channel right now, unboxing kids toys and play-doh, and start getting millions of views for every video and rake in the big bucks. If you're a let's player it's even easier, you just need to record yourself playing a video game and upload that.

With short films/skits, they take a lot longer to produce, with proper budgets, writing, planning, filming, editing, etc. But it's a crapshoot whether anyone will ever see them and whether they'll go viral. You could get lucky like Trachtenberg and get your Portal short flm seen by the right people so you can go to Hollywood, or you could be like the hundreds of thousands of other film school graduates whose films have views on YouTube in the single digits.
>>
>>71267214
so....what are the good channels?
>>
>>71267214
So..... how many views does your most viewed video have? Mine has 26.
>>
>>71267285
700,000. But it was a one off.
>>
its called VIMEO
>>
>>71267285
15 000
It was a call of duty video i made in 2010.
>>
>>71267285

not even sure why
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om50IfvHUAw
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUQhNGEu2KA
>>
>>71267285
1382 views...took 4 years though.
>>
>>71267285
2.5M, I don't deserve them though.
>>
Youtube rewards those who make easily-made, cheaply produced by the numbers videos targeting a sole albeit popular demographic (ie. let's plays, reaction videos, TOP TEN WHATEVERS, Make-up tutorials, reviews, unboxing videos, JUST A PRANK BRO, etc.)

It's the algorithm. It caters to people who can make 7 videos a week, each at 10 to 20 minutes.

That's why a guy like OneyNG, originally an animator, now does LPs, because it's more financially viable, even though his animated vids tend to go viral.

If you want to make money on YT, then you need to have a product that you can spoon feed to a dumb-as-fuck audience on a day to day basis. That's why Pewdiepie reigns supreme. And why fucking nobody pissbabies like Chris Stuckmann or Leafyishere (THE WORST CRINGEST REACTION CRINGE VIDS IN CRINGE THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE CRINGE) are able to exist.

Sounds pretty easy, right? NOPE. Every market is incredibly over-saturated right now. Even the smaller, burgeoning markets are already overpopulated (creepypasta stuff, Something something EXPLAINED stuff).

YT is not for creators. It's for Shane Dawson.

If you're a budding filmmaker, you should use Vimeo. It won't hurt to put your vids on YT either, especially if you've made something that has potential to go viral, just do so with the knowledge that your view count with probably never reach 100.
>>
If only shitty kids with their shitty iPads had adblock.
It's probably the only demographic that stands out analytically, resulting in them being a target or secondary target audience for Every Single Fucking Video.

There are some horrifying channels out there.

https://www.youtube.com/user/UnboxingSurpriseEgg
>>
>>71267878
That's why patreon exists. Animators like Yotam Perel make very little YT-bucks, but makes $650 from patreon per animation.
>>
>>71268014
>3,069,255,220 views

reaction image
>>
>>71268015
Patreon is great for supporting artists and whatnot, but the topic of the thread was why aren't there more quality short-films on YT.

If you're involved in filmmaking and you have ANY talent, chances are you're working toward an actual career over making YT vids.
>>
>>71268092
>>71268014
Check out the comments section on these types of videos. I think a lot of the "viewers" are actually just bots. Just like in this channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIwKB3NZ46s
>>
>>71265682
i would never ever ever ever ever share my goldmines with you stupid fucks. enjoy your reddit tier adult swim wannabe trash.
>>
>>71268324
This. I have nightmares that my favourite Youtubers gets ruined by being turned into e-celebs. It really fucks up the whole community and usually the content.
>>
>>71265682
>literally hear about this yesterday
>binge watch it
>don't know what the fuck is going on
Still, wasted 30 minutes I guess.
>>
>>71268187
I think 99% of the views are legitimate

The automated comments are probably just similar channels trying to summon the kid to their own shitty videos

YouTube mobile can scroll through comments with the video still visible, so I can imagine it works

I fucking hate kids so much
>>
>>71268324
>>71268362
>>
File: average youtube content.jpg (233 KB, 1263x810) Image search: [Google]
average youtube content.jpg
233 KB, 1263x810
>>71265682
I know right, /tv/ might talk a lot of shit about DHMIS but at least it's original and a step in the right direction. I wish there could be more content like it, of any kind.

Man, youtube sucks these nowadays.
>>
File: 0.jpg (29 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
29 KB, 480x360
>>71268731
wtf? why this one doesn't have any arrows?
>>
>>71268731
literally buzzfeed
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.