[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this show (Arrested Development) so under-rated? Been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7
File: STOPGETTINGMEOUTOFTHEHOUSE.jpg (75 KB, 713x826) Image search: [Google]
STOPGETTINGMEOUTOFTHEHOUSE.jpg
75 KB, 713x826
Why is this show (Arrested Development) so under-rated? Been binge watching it while working on uni final projects (Australian college) and its actually enjoyable compared to most crap live action shit coms *cough*modernfamily*cough*
>>
>>71248300
It's not underrated. People were begging for season 4
>>
>>71248300
You live under a rock or something mate?
>>
>>71248300
>under-rated
>>
because they made a season 4 and portia de rossi looks so awkward from botched plastic surgery that its like they tried to fill her in with a 90's-era computer generated kelly rippa

basically retroactively ruined the entire show
>>
>>71248300
Season 5 will save it r-r-right guys
>>
File: 1344439061955.jpg (39 KB, 600x420) Image search: [Google]
1344439061955.jpg
39 KB, 600x420
>Why is this show (Arrested Development) so under-rated?
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>71248300
>under-rated
>>
It didn't have a laughtrack, so normie burgerclaps didn't actually know AD was in fact hysterical.
The average TV watcher there has an IQ floating around 70, you know.
>>
>>71248300
Nah I know what you mean bro, it never really made an impact here in Oz

But I think if you find anyone with any sort of interest in TV/comedy they can probably quote lines from it with you.

Personally for me it goes:
>Seinfeld
>Frasier
>Malcolm in the Middle
>Arrested Development
>Black Books
>>
File: WEIRDSMOKE.jpg (81 KB, 921x622) Image search: [Google]
WEIRDSMOKE.jpg
81 KB, 921x622
I saw this scene and died.
>>
Underrated is not a word I've ever heard anyone use in describing Arrested Development
>>
>>71248881
That's stupid, the first I literally ever heard about the show was a Cracked article about criminally underrated things.
>>
File: 1466860431144.gif (679 KB, 200x199) Image search: [Google]
1466860431144.gif
679 KB, 200x199
>>71248688
>Forgetting Married with Children
Its an oldun but a goodun
>>
>>71248909
Before my time buddy, sorry. Is it actually decent?

I enjoy watching the old classic status quo shit like family ties, but definitely wouldn't put it up there with my actual favourite comedy television
>>
>>71248900
I'm guessing it was sarcasm buddy
>>
>>71248881
This. It's overrated if anything. Only the first two seasons are funny
>>
>>71248300
overrated if anything
>>
>>71248948
It still holds up extremely well to today, hell maybe even better aside from pop culture references at the time.
Its amazing, and especially funny thanks to modern day sjw's compared to some of the social movement comedy in the show
>>
>>71248300

Seriously? If you're genuine then it's only because you missed out on that annoying as fuck era of the internet where everyone quoted this like it was Napoleon Dynamite.

The show was great, but it failed to establish an audience. It was poorly marketed and was too smart for people just tuning in.

See David Cross's rant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmGGVARy1OQ

It generated a cult following with netflix after it was cancelled which bloomed into an actual following and it was brought back for a season and potentially a movie.

The reason you don't hear anything about it was because for a long time there was nothing to talk about except parroting catchphrases. There was no new content being made so people mostly just got burnt out.
>>
>>71248300
annyong!
>>
File: big_head.jpg (94 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
big_head.jpg
94 KB, 500x300
>>71248300
>under-rated
>>
>>71249118
Okay I'm gonna sound like a fucking pleb, and I assure you I've watched all four seasons at least twice each of not more, but what lines would people just randomly reference out of context?

I just honestly can't think of many that don't require a long explanation. Have any moved to common use like quotes from early The Simpsons?
>>
File: gavinandnevilleoz.jpg (23 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
gavinandnevilleoz.jpg
23 KB, 480x360
>>71248948
go watch it you fucking drongo
>>
>>71249118

Im genuine , like this is the first comedy show in a long time to get legit laughs out of me.

I just watched the rant and it seems pretty spot on desu, Netflix has done a much better job handling and i think the show has just been on one hell of a rocky road. I mean we're getting season 5 or the movie this year so it'll be interesting to see what happens.
>>
>>71248300
Arrested Development is G.O.A.T

30 rock is pretty close to G.O.A.T
Both are some of the few sitcoms with actual joke and not JUST terrible one liners and references.
>>
>>71249210
Some that have entered common usage:

> "I've made a huge mistake"
>dead dove.jpg "I don't know what I expected"
> "I don't understand the question and I won't respond to it"
> "I blue myself"

I don't know, there's plenty more. The shit about nevernudes and "analrapist" got referenced a lot.

The entire problem was that they weren't the kind of quotes that could survive without an explanation. Idiots just used them as a way to signal that they were part of an "in-group". It got kind of big on reddit which is part of the reason 4chan turned against it.
>>
>>71248605
>>71249015
>>71249042
Because plebs like these pollute our world OP.
>>
File: laughter-01.png (803 KB, 796x1339) Image search: [Google]
laughter-01.png
803 KB, 796x1339
>>71249249
>>
>>71249249
The scene with Alec Baldwin as Thomas Jefferson in Maury makes 30 Rock GOAT for me.
>>
>fans of AD quoting constantly
>There are DOZENS of us
>>
>>71248300
What the fuck happened to the 5th season?
>>
>>71248818
>death by 3rd hand smoke
>>
>>71248300
the ret-conned episodes are trash. watch the first and third season, skim the second, stop
>>
>>71250744
True, Baldwin makes the show. Most of his jokes come so far from what you expect it triggers your brain to laugh uncontrollably, which is what comedy should do. To many shows rely on awkward situations an references and tired plots to find comedy. 30 rock is a pure comedy, with no hamfisted drama plots.
>>
>>71250863

Apparently its due to be delivered this year. All of the studio execs and say that too. Probably just because of all the shit lately thats been happening with netflix sorting its stuff out.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.