[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I just watched Star Trek Nemesis for the first time. I never
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: p29964_d_v8_aa.jpg (497 KB, 960x1440) Image search: [Google]
p29964_d_v8_aa.jpg
497 KB, 960x1440
So I just watched Star Trek Nemesis for the first time. I never really got around to it until now because I tend to stick mostly with TV series and start them as soon as another ends.

Over the years I heard Nemesis done quite poorly from reviews to online criticism and it didn't have any qualities that it was particularly admired for.

I read one review by Robert Ebert, who I admit I havnt read any of his before, but Im beginning to suspect he was a hack who just used flowerly language with no substance anyway - given a few other reviews of his I just read.

But thats beside the point - I honestly dont think Nemesis was bad, it exceeded my expectations, but the hyped expectations of the masses before its release harmed the audiences perception of the movie and downplayed the qualities it had.

It had some great KINO and effects, particularly when Picard rammed the enemy ship with the saucer of the Enterprise-E and debris was floating slowly through space, in contrast to the havoc and pace that was going inside the ships bridges. The crew felt more useful than usual for once rather than being backdrops, albeit Riker was just being Riker as usual. Even Troi was given permission to not be a useless lump for anything but ogling at, and of course Datas contribution as always was instrumental.

Also, for the first time we saw an (almost) direct hit of a torpedo on the bridge of the Enterprise, in direct contrast to Eberts statement of "Fearsome death rays strike the Enterprise, and what happens? Sparks fly out from the ceiling and the crew gets bounced around in their seats like passengers on the No. 36 bus".

The movie also couldnt be faulted for its acting, with some great dialogue and tense moments between Bane and Picard.

I honestly thought it deserves more praise than it received.

Does /tv/ agree? What are /tv/fags thoughts on the matter and do you think it did enough to harm the prospects of a new Star Trek movie until the reboot was announced?
>>
>>71246193

>It had some great KINO

Fuck off.
>>
>>71246257
Im just trying to fit in with the rest of you cool kids. And it did.
>>
>>71246193
dude, have you actually watched the movie or have you just skipped to the battle scenes?
It DID have one of the best space battles since TWOK, that's true.
Too bad quite literally everything else about the movie either felt contrived or didn't make any sense at all.
Not to mention that it was blatantly inconsistent with a whole lot of stuff that had been established in trek canon.

And Shinzon... oh man, Shinzon. Probably the second-worst Trek-villain, right after Ru'afo
>>
This had some big guy right?
>>
>>71246480
>>71246193
Shinzon:
"I'm after Picard's blood but I can also settle with destroying everything just for the evulz"
Picard:
"I'm Patrick Stewart. I like to drive. Can we have a sort of car chase scene in this movie?"
Riker:
"What do you mean, I'm getting fat?"
Worf:
"Fuck Irving Berlin!"
Data:
"I'm somehow the most important side character. Can I have my heroic sacrifice moment now?"
Ron Perlman:
"Finally, a movie in which I don't have to show mah face."
B-4:
"durrr!" (comic relief dunce)
>>
File: shinzon.jpg (80 KB, 512x768) Image search: [Google]
shinzon.jpg
80 KB, 512x768
>>71246595
That was before he was big. Here he looked more like the type of guy who's into rimjobs.
>>
>>71246613
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

NAILED IT!
>>
Is this the one with the guy?
>>
>>71246633
4u
>>
>>71246692
4(You)
>>
>>71246613
>>71246636

The driving scene with Picard is to show that he can be reckless and take chances, introducing us to Shinzon.

Shinzon is suppose to prove that anyone is capable of evil if their circumstances are harsh and they give into it. Which means people should always be vigilant and it have to work on, like bettering themselves. it shows that people always have a choice.

Riker is Riker.

Worf should have stayed on DS9 admittedly.

Data showed his most human side by sacrificing himself to save his friend.

B-4 was suppose to carry on the spirit of Data, and prove that we can become something more than we are. They also have something to fall back on if they ever wanted to revive Datas character.
>>
>>71246633
Who the fuck doesn't like rimjobs?
>>
>>71246802
Oh, I mean to say GIVING rimjobs.
>>
>>71246766
shut up fag
>>
>>71246867
Why are you even here? Go back to /b/ to your sluts with nuts you fucking subhuman.
>>
>>71246859
Por tĂș
>>
The reaction to it was obviously overblown by bitter nerds, but it's hardly a good film.

It has some good qualities (it's actually trying to say something, unlike Insurrection) and some bad qualities (Data's death is very muted). Ebert was right to be honest, it's very tired.

It ultimately boils down to an average movie. I'd still put it ahead of Insurrection and The Final Frontier.
>>
>>71246936
What's so bad about Insurrection, you fucking idiot?
>>
>>71246954
It sucked.
>>
>>71246954
Star trek insurrection sucks my balls. Its got cheap styrofoam effects....
>>
It had the scimitar, which is the sexiest motherfucking ship in all of star trek ever.

I can't call it a bad movie for this reason.
>>
>>71246954
It was pretty bad desu desu senpai
>>
File: 2009-05-21-Nemesis_BTS.jpg (137 KB, 845x676) Image search: [Google]
2009-05-21-Nemesis_BTS.jpg
137 KB, 845x676
It was decent af. The reason everyone felt letdown was because of how much it had going for it. Screenplay by John Logan. Directed by Stuart Baird. Ron Perlman as the badguy. And it was being touted as the final Next Gen film so there was that same sense of finality like there was for The Undiscovered Country. And it's true, the reviews were tepid. Nobody wanted to say anything bad about it but there was no enthusiasm. The franchise was out of gas. The cast looked old. All the tv series were ending. There was just a palpable sense of an era ending and it was kinda sad for everyone. Honestly, I skip to the battles when i rewatch. there was a lot of awkward tension that felt very un-trek.

6/10
>>
>only one pic of the big guy
Shit thread trekky
>>
>>71246859
you don't like to eat a hot womans asshole?
>>
I thought it was the worst of the Star Treks. Data's death had no feeling to it at all.

it did look good though
>>
>>71246766
In the comics prequel to the ST reboot, Data is Data again. Like Spock was Spock again after ST4. He's also the Captain of the Enterprise (Picard is finally an Admiral).

It's sort-of-canon, but not really.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.