[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was TITANIC praised for creating a fictional love interest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: Cut from the same cloth.jpg (50 KB, 686x495) Image search: [Google]
Cut from the same cloth.jpg
50 KB, 686x495
Why was TITANIC praised for creating a fictional love interest in the backdrop of the real-life disaster and PEARL HARBOR was criticized for doing the same.

Granted, TITANIC is a much better movie, but the principle was the same.
>>
We got to see Kate Winslet's tits.
>>
>>71233123
I'd rather of seen Kate Beckinsale's.
>>
one was done well, the other was done in a WW2 battle scene which was crass, cuz Mike Bay is BASED.
>>
File: 1382804113684.gif (448 KB, 245x190) Image search: [Google]
1382804113684.gif
448 KB, 245x190
>>71233123
>>
You just answered your own question.

Also pearl harbour has the misfortune of being compared to Tora Tora Tora, which is a far superior movie that actually does justice to the events and people involved.
>>
File: 1447461848230.png (117 KB, 1024x749) Image search: [Google]
1447461848230.png
117 KB, 1024x749
>>71233093
begause bearl harbels is a national bsychologgial dragedy addack for deh amerigen boebel. also agt or war ;D;D;D;D

wheile deh didanigg is just some big boad :D:D:D:D:D:D
>>
>>71233093
I don't think it was ever criticized for being a love story in the back drop of Pearl Harbor. From Here to Eternity did the same thing and is regarded as a classic. Pearl Harbor was just a terrible film.
>>
>>71233093

probably because in pearl harbor it's meant to be frocking epic and badass because Michael Bay has the emotional maturity of a 13 year old while in Titanic it's meant to be scary
>>
>>71233093

>Granted, TITANIC is a much better movie

You answered your own question. Titanic was a better movie in every way, so people were willing to ignore the whole capitalizing on a tragedy thing. Also the Titanic sinking wasn't an act of war, and Pearl Harbor happened more recently.
>>
>>71233252
Pearl Harbor itself was pretty damn scary.

The Doolittle Raid was far more embellished.
>>
>>71233093
>Why was TITANIC praised for creating a fictional love interest in the backdrop of the real-life disaster and PEARL HARBOR was criticized for doing the same.
Practically every critic rips the movie apart for being cliche, overly sentimental and too long. I've never seen a critic say that the movie is bad because it exploited a real-life disaster.
>>
>>71233093
Both are shit movies

>>71233229
>Also pearl harbour has the misfortune of being compared to Tora Tora Tora
I would make the same comparison between Titanic and A Night to Remember, though I guess most critics and audiences didn't even know that film exists
>>
>>71233342

The Doolittle raid part is another thing that annoys me. Imagine if there was a scene in Titanic where they go back to destroy the iceberg out of revenge. Pearl harbour is just a different kind of movie altogether.
>>
>>71233229
>>71233476
Is Tora Tora Tora worth watching?
>>
Historical accuracy had nothing to do with it

James Cameron is what Michael Bay wishes he could be
>>
>>71233591
If you're interested in WWII, yes. Not a masterpiece or anything but pretty good
>>
The special effects, score and acting were superior in Titanic.
It amazes me how real the ship sinking still feels 20 years later.
>>
>>71233591
It's a great watch. 100x better than Pearl Harbor.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.