[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Harry Potter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (464 KB, 1350x1350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
464 KB, 1350x1350
What went so right compared to other young adult franchises?

>Hunger Games
>The 5th Wave
>The Maze Runner
>Divergent
>Twilight

All of these are shit, but howEVER did Harry Potter end up being good or dare I say great?
>>
>>71226087
Compare the casting.
>>
>>71226087
pent up fan base
long standing fan base

the first book came out in 97. also during a time before internet, so A LOT more kids were reading then. the first movie, 01. You had legions of kids ready to go for the first one.

they will all stay for the ride, so naturally like a tidal wave you pick up more and more kids for each movie, its a gaurateed success
>>
>>71226087
>the 5th wave

How is that even worth mentioning?
>>
the key difference between HP and the others you mentioned is that HP is actually competently written
there's only so much you can do when your source material is essentially a horny middle-aged hambeast's self-insert fanfiction, as is the case with all of those titles that i'm familiar with
>>
>>71226087

Harry Potter was fucking HUGE compared to any of those.
>>
>>71226220
true but how was it worth making?

lol who fucking approved that shit.
>>
>>71226257
so Harry Potter is barely YA shit?
>>
>>71226087
source material
casting
>>
>>71226448
i mean, they started out as kids films/books
the only reason they transitioned into being more young adult type material is because that's what the fans were growing into
>>
>>71226711
>that's what the fans were growing into
And the main cast
The main audience was growing WITH the actual characters
>>
>>71226087
There is a difference between YA books and books written for retarded teenage girls.
Hollywood failed to understand that.
>>
>>71226711
yeah I noticed a shift but even Goblet and Order didn't really feel like Young Adult garbage. It just felt like a movie about teenagers that weren't obnoxious. Maybe it had less pandering or something.

The friendships of Harry and his friends actually felt genuine unlike other franchises.

They felt like coming-of-age stories 2bh.
>>
>Kids reading the actual books, which were pretty much in every elementary and high school from 98 onwards.
>believe it or not the books are pretty well written, as in easy to read well written so anyone can pick them up
>first movie released at a time when parents would bring all their kids to the cinema
>by the third movie the fanbase exploded as everyone starts reading ahead before the next movie
>no poc shit in the casting or plot of the books or movies.
>magic n shit
>>
>>71226087

They waited a couple years before making Harry Potter into films, if I remember they had a very strong solid fanbase even before one was announced, the other YA novels didn't even have that since they basically churned them out one after another.
>>
>>71226087
>image.jpg
fuck off mobileposter
>>
>>71227304
your post was shit and contributed nothing to the thread.

think before you post so you don't spout out horseshit like that.

>>>/qa/
>>
>>71226087
erogon
cirque du freak
lemony snickers series of bad mishaps

erogon is written like shit, but cirque du freak was a huge dissapointment to me. I loved those books in 7th grade.
>>
>>71227576
I wonder how that Netflix version of Unfortunate events will turn out.
>>
>>71227989
Considering that the source material was awful, bad
>>
>>71226143
/thread

Even if it was pure dogshit they'd still tune in
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 625x626
>>71228094
>>
>>71226087
Really good casting. The casting for Snape and McGonnagel was so good I can't imagine anyone else in the roles, and most of the other castings were great too.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_F._Horn
Hes the reason why LOTR is so ""good""
>>
>>71226087

Leave wandkino to the brits.
>>
File: mom.jpg (97 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
mom.jpg
97 KB, 400x400
>>71228094
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.