[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Neon Demon Discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 237
Thread images: 22
What did you guys think of the Neon Demon? imo it's Refn's second best film and probably one of the top 5 films of the year so far.
>>
>>71226035
I agree. it was great. Only thing I wish is that there was more time with some of the characters like Keanu and Beta Boyfriend. And hendricks having another scene would have been nice. and no elle nudity was sort of beta.
>>
>>71226035
With the reviews so bad I've shyed away but
Can you go into detail of the movie? Any deep meanings? Symbolism
>>
>>71226979
having somebody explain deep meanings or symbolism defeats the point of it though. the idea is that the movie brings these things out of you. You should see it for yourself, the reviews are actually mostly good. only people who dont like this are ussies.
>>
>>71227325
I don't know anything about the movie

What's the plot?
>>
>>71226035
>2nd best film
not quite hard to achieve eh lol
>>
File: NeonDemonAudition.webm (3 MB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
NeonDemonAudition.webm
3 MB, 750x750
I have nothing to add to the conversation, I wanted to post this webm
>>
>>71227692
Young girl starts to model in LA
>>
>>71228033

That's a great scene. Nubile feminine beauty has a temporal nature but there always the next cohort.
>>
>>71226979
I think there might be some kind of sick joke about beauty being in the eye of the beholder but to explain it any further would be a massive spoiler
>>
>>71226035
My ranking

Only God Forgives

Valhalla Rising

Drive

Bronson

Neon Demon

haven't seen the rest of his movies. That's just after the first viewing. It may climb the ranks after I see it again. I can easily say the the scene where the girl vomits up the eyeball is my favorite scene in any of his movies.
>>
>>71227692
>>71229328
and gets eaten by lesbian cannibal corpse fuckers
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNm-M2hv-nQ

Unintentionally hilarious NWR interview
>>
File: 1466304899190.jpg (24 KB, 472x472) Image search: [Google]
1466304899190.jpg
24 KB, 472x472
>>71228033
checked
>>
>>71226035
It's was fucking garbage, just like OGF.

Any real Refn enthusiast should be ashamed if they enjoyed this movie.
>>
File: 1465620432878.jpg (13 KB, 308x308) Image search: [Google]
1465620432878.jpg
13 KB, 308x308
>>71230061
>Refn enthusiast
>OGF garbage
>>
File: 1465954096422.png (671 KB, 850x917) Image search: [Google]
1465954096422.png
671 KB, 850x917
>>71229740
>Anti-Trump

aw man... why'd RFN have to be cucked.
>>
File: image.jpg (454 KB, 2046x1535) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
454 KB, 2046x1535
>>71230162
His movies used to be so good, now they are just vapid garbage.
>>
File: 1465658471209.jpg (115 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1465658471209.jpg
115 KB, 720x540
>>71230229
>Ricolas Finding Nefn
>>
One of the best of the year sure but not refn top 3. Some of it was clever, the ending went full danish which was a weakness. Some of the scenes were clever but after the scene with the demon dance and strobe it feels like youre waiting for escalation that does not come cinematically
>>
File: 1464334336084.png (124 KB, 317x326) Image search: [Google]
1464334336084.png
124 KB, 317x326
>>71230244
K
>>
>>71230313
The ending was the best part!
Also Keanu.
>>
Just watched it. 8/10 for me. Totally did not see that ending coming.
>>
>>71229707
i didn't see any indication the two models were lesbians, just malone
>>
>>71230061
>>71230244

You can't see what is good for you, so it's better you don't see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQoxB4zKwHA
>>
>>71230472
I mean... they were kissing and showering together naked.
>>
>>71230472
>any indication
shower scene?
>>
>>71230585
>>71230580
forgot the kissing
idk models showering together isn't weird
they're nude or half nude around each other all the time (/are also supposed to be sexually jaded/sophisticated)

poor Bella
she wanted to be friends
>>
>>71230672
weird like something only two people with a sexual relationship would do, not weird as in lesbians are weird
which I've already seen the movie criticized for
(neon) demonizing lesbians
>>
>>71228033
>dat ass
>dem legs
double neck?
>>
>>71230244
Nice dubs btw
>>
>>71226979
Just saw it. It's great.

HOWEVER

If you didn't like Valhalla Rising or Only God Forgives, just steer clear. It's not as obtuse as OGF, but it definitely isn't Drive.
>>
>>71229634
OGF>Drive>TND=Bronson>Valhalla Rising

>>71230061
>>71230244
If you can't appreciate The Neon Demon or OGF, just give up film now.
>>
File: ryan_gosling_hammer_and_bullet.jpg (212 KB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
ryan_gosling_hammer_and_bullet.jpg
212 KB, 1920x800
>>71230536
>le graphic violence while women sit by obediently
So many fresh ideas.
>>
>>71232726
>graphic violence
nah
>>
>>71232726
If you don't want to listen, then stop listening.
>>
>>
>>71233503
random woman has an opinion you don't like, how interesting

lol the blake lively shark movie has a higher rt score
>>
>>71233685
>lol the blake lively shark movie has a higher rt score
How is that relevant? You do now people are slamming this movie because it has content that is not considered appropriate in 2016. People are rating it badly because it has misogynist content and is (various things about women) directed by a man.
>>
>>71233845
I think it's funny, I liked the movie though I can see why people who want deeper characters or a more original take on Hollywood wouldn't.

Interestingly two women were involved in writing the original script, and the cinematography is by Natasha Braier.
>>
>>71234020
I don't see why people think it's misogynist. It's a film about beauty and people willing to do anything to get what they want how is that anyway sexist to woman?
>>
>>71234104
All of the men are also terrible or even worse...I think the film does an ok job showing that the industry is controlled by men who have the power to make or crush a girl because she's older than 23 or is only 20 pounds underweight instead of 25. Women are part of the hierarchy and are terrible to each other as individuals, but both the big photographer and designer are men (and motel owner). Typically it's a cop out to say a man accused of sexism also hates men but NWR is incapable of creating realistic humans male or female.
>>
>>71234104

NWR is already being called a racist on social media for only casting tall white women in the film instead of "muh diversity", when it's completely fucking obvious that the film is meant to be a sort of satire of the fashion industry's traditionally rigid, exclusionary standards of what people should look like. Some people will always miss the point.
>>
>>71234485
I thought Jess bf was a okay guy but beside him I thought the man were terrible to but like you said the woman in this movie aren't better especially to each other.
>>
>>71234596
there are black models...they don't talk, but there are like 5 characters who get more than 5 lines...one of which is the semi bf who isn't white I don't think

I saw posts saying it was glorifying the motel rape and made it seem like it was shown, the screaming was bad but a. it sounded like an adult actress so it wasn't as creepy as it might have been b. the 13 yo girl isn't shown so how can she be sexualized? it's just obvious bad guy keanu talking about her, with a nod to kubrick with calling her lolita; NWR is in no way making light of it and the movie I don't think really sexualizes Elle any more (less!) than your average Vogue photo shoot does or ABC family show does!
>>
>>71234596
What are they talking about NWR had a black girl and a Asian girl in the background of this movie.

The man is all about having diversity in his casting.
>>
>>71234752

His personal opinions on race or irrelevant. I'm just saying I think the "white people only" complaint as applied to this film is ridiculous because it's completely accurate to the oppressive beauty mindest the film is parodying. Fashion has always had traditionally strict views of what beauty is, and still does to a large extent, with some exceptions. A lot of tall white blondes. Depiction is not endorsement, however.
>>
>>71234695
Jesse's bf was literally the only "good" character in the movie. Once Jesse abandons him, she gives herself over to narcissism, which leads to her death.
>>
>get back from seeing it
>check imdb score
>6.9
>give it a 9
>refresh
>it's at a 7.0

Rotten Tomatoes cucks on suicide watch, all thanks to me :^)
>>
>>71226035
Best movie I have seen this year so far. I don't get why it was rated so poorly by some people. I get that it goes against some people's sensibilities but come on its still a well made movie.
>>
How violent is this film?
>>
>>71232623
pleb
>>
>>71235483
It's plenty violent, but I'd honestly say that the sexual stuff is more disturbing.

>>71235500
>he disagrees with me, better call him a pleb, that'll show him
>>
>>71235407
why'd you ruin the 69 meme?
>>
>movies men will never understand
>>
>>71235483
blood used in a photo shoot, and real blood later in a bath, a bloody cut hand, a disturbing violent rape that takes places off screen but you hear screaming, a bunch of stuff that's gross but not worse than you'd see on csi, a shadowy piss/blood/can't really tell coming out of a vagina/butt scene, no real jump scares
don't look bc this was the best suprise an eyeball
>>
>>71235554
>but I'd honestly say that the sexual stuff is more disturbing

uh,can i get some details??
i understand if you don't wanna spoil.
>>
>>71235603
:o

sounds like a fun summer film
>>
>>71235625
Not going to spoil, it would 100% ruin your experience. Go see it.
>>
>>71235037
Yeah pretty much I think that the part where Jess abandons him once she starts to get successful in modeling really made Jess herself unsympathetic but I still did feel bad about what happened to her.
>>
>>71235692
I felt bad about what happened to her, but I really think she brought it upon herself, for the most part. The monologue she gave before the chase scene sealed the deal.
>>
>>71235683
mmk
>>
>>71235625
it's spoiled upthread... no you don't see elle naked, there's the heard not seen rape, attempted rapes and sexual harassment, gross talk about underaged girls, a run of the mill masturbation scene with a side character

>>71235692
this might be giving the movie too much credit, but maybe she dumps him bc he's not corrupt like she in her heart is, she really does believe all this Perfect Beauty is the only thing and the most important thing blah blah and she either wants to protect him or less benevolently rooted reasons
>>
>>71235793
thank you
>>
>>71235736
Yea I agree. I think what I like about the ND does differently with Jess becoming a narcissist is that in other movies heck even irl there always someone there corrupting them to go bad.

In this movie it's absolutely the power is making it into a narcissist but she choose to be that way.
>>
>>71236056
>>71235793
She's always been a huge narcissist. Her mother called her "dangerous", she knew she could "make money off pretty" and she admitted to Gigi (or was it Sarah?) that she likes the way she looks. She also attacks Gigi for no reason when she brags about her surgeon and the fact that he calls her a "bionic woman". She started to show her true self when she got what she wanted, which was to be apart of the fashion show and get contracts. She used Dean because he was the first person to admire her when she arrived in L.A.

She was truly a neon demon
>>
>>71234946
Agreed. I was also pretty impressed at how similar they got he girls to look like eachother when they were dolled up and at the right camera angles. It really showed that they were all striving for the singular look defined as "beauty."
Anyone have any idea what is meant by what happened with Janna Malone's character under the moon at the ends? I saw the similarities with he moon / her posture bein similar to Jesses, but what about the blood?
>>
>>71229393
could you explain
>>
Should I see this tonight or tomorrow morning? The less people there the better (plus the vibe afterward is different, which one works better)
>>
>>71236625
Whenever you want to man. Its got some pretty disburbing scenes, so take that hiw you will.
>>
>>71236699
Ya, I'm prepared, I'm just wondering when there will be less people, and if it would be better to watch really tired, or fresh first thing in the morning
>>
>>71236802
morning, some boring scenes, easy to fall asleep to
>>
>>71235793
Was that really a rape Elle heard through the wall? I thought it was just a model who was having a mental breakdown, I don't believe Keanu was raping girls as that would be entirely against his autistic character
>>
He was truly a real human bean.
>>
>>71237475
I saw it as jessie wakes up from her dream, a warning, and locks the door, hears keanu try to open the door then he goes to the next room with the 13 year old, you hear her screaming and saying no don't and stuff-I mean it could have been in jessie's head but I didn't get that, keanu had been talking about how 'hot' the runaway was earlier and I didn't see him as 'autistic', just a creep who's around a bunch of other creeps so he doesn't even feel the need to hide it

also maybe just as disturbing is that elle doesn't (as far as we see) call the cops or do anything to help the girl, she's just worried he'll get her so she runs away
>>
>>71229396
Ohhh, very good observation. On another note, I almost had the auditorium to myself with just one couple in front of me. About 3/4s through the movie, the girl, who was talking sporadically during the movie, said to her bf, "Where's the demon?"
>>
>>71226035
Just got back from seeing it in the theater on this opening night. There was only 1 other person in the theater besides me.

The film was fucking fantastic. Amazing visuals, really well shot cinematography. I just loved what Refn did with the colors and how he composed some of the shots. Great performances from all the actors, especially Elle Fanning. Man that girl can act. The music score was fantastic as well, and really suited the movie well.

The visuals I'd say were on par with Only God Forgives, and the story was told in a more sensical way as well. Altogether an improvement, and I really like the direction Refn is taking with his filmmaking. Great atmosphere too, the film kept me in a constant state of unease and discomfort/anxiety. IT's very rare for a film to have this effect, so I enjoyed that tremendously.

If you want to see this in theaters, go now. Doesn't seem like the mainstream masses will love it, so it might not be in the theater for too long. Don't miss your chance, this is really something that should be experienced on the big screen.

The only regret I have is I shouldn't have taken my mom with me to see the movie. She just walked out after one particularly graphic scene, (you know which one if you saw the film) and it was kind of awkward on the ride home. So I'd say this is not a film you want to go to see with parents, or even particularly normie friends.

Not sure why they booed it at Cannes, I enjoyed it quite a lot.

I don't want to get into
>>
>>71226698
She wasn't 100% nude but you could see her butt and boobs outline in the dress on the scene overlooking LA.
>>
>>71229634
I wouldn't even compare neon demon/only god forgives with his other films. They exist in a totally different realm.
>>
>>71237876
>not a film to see with normie friends

This. I went to a screening in a popular place and people were laughing at literally everything because they were treating it like a SAW movie.
>>
Why does elle have such a long neck?
>>
Do you think she deserved it?
>>
>>71237646
I don't understand her dream sequence with Keanu...how was she able to predict the future?

Refn has said that he considers this a science fiction film, maybe there's something subtlety supernatural going on behind the scenes there...it would also kind of explain the ending...
>>
>>71237876
Hey, you're the "taking my mom to neon demon" guy. Told you, but really glad you enjoyed it
>>
>>71237937
This. Or they were whispering "Oh my god" or "eww, is she eating it?"
>>
>>71237876
you mad man
>>
>>71238037
I think she did because she became as animalistic as the other girls in the industry. To me, it felt like what happened was analogous to lions killing a rival. You wouldn't care about whether or not that lion deserved it would you?
>>
>>71238074
I took it as some kind of premonition, just like the cougar in her room earlier. There was a lot of predator imagery, like the owl, cheetah, wolf, other beasts in the house at the end. Maybe prey has an instictive fear sense that goes off when predators are around?
>>
>>71238074
she was already afraid of him, there's a scene earlier where she's hiding behind the building and waits until he's not looking to run to her room
there was also the mountain lion earlier, so the idea that her room isn't safe is doubly in her at least subconscious, which came together in her dream
idk why they didn't have a line about her planning to move tf out earlier though, money is maybe on purpose not really brought up
>>
So was she a vampire?
>>
>>71238037
Beauty exists to be consumed. It was just more literal this time.
>>
>>71238037
The only thing keeping her safe was her morality. Once she threw away her virtues, she was fair game
>>
>>71238166
Interesting point, in fact you could say pretty much every character in the movie was a predator of some kind, sexual, literal, economical, or otherwise.
>>
>>71238259
Nah, Dean was pretty nice.
>>
>>71238259
Except the pussy octaroon knight boyfriend
>>
>>71226035
>top 5 films of the year so far.

Have there even been 5 movies worth watching at all this year, let alone a top 5? The only other worthwhile one I can think of is green room.
>>
>>71226035
Wasn't drake on drive?
>>
>>71228033
Can't wait until this comes out on bluray. So many scenes are ripe for a webm.
>>
>>71238288
he was the only one with morals, but he was still (however chastely) dating a 16 year old while being 25-26, which in real life is pretty gross
>>
>>71238259
Except based Dean senpai.
>>
You guys seem to think Keanu was the one banging on the door and supposedly raping the girl next door.

Doesn't that mean Keanu was miscast? He didn't come across as menacing at all because it's fucking Keanu and I also just happened to watch Knock Knock before this.
>>
>>71238328
I heard love and friendship was good. I haven't watch it yet because it not playing anywhere near me.
>>
>>71238356
He didn't know she was 16 though.
>>
>>71232517
I loved OGF but I thought Valhalla Rising was really weird (beautiful cinematography though)

What should I expect from The Neon Demon?
>>
>>71238387
It wasn't Keanu, it was Dean. Pay closer attention next time.
>>
>>71238356
He definitely wasn't 25, he was 19 at most. Plus, he really didn't seem like the kind of guy who would take advantage of her, especially judging by how he reacted to knowing she was 16. It seemed like he really just wanted to protect her
>>
>>71238387
I think it's important that we only saw that scene from Jesse's point of view. If it 1) really happened or 2) really was Keanu, I feel like Refn would have showed us
>>
>>71238422
It's OGF + Drive

If you liked OGF you'll definitely enjoy it. Based Martinez score, amazing colorful cinematography, and subtle performances. and lots of fucked up violence and sex
>>
>>71238417
He still was hanging around her after he found out though. Also don't forget that initial photo shoot was pretty exploitative. He also seemed to want to take advantage of her fame (show his pics to the agency, introduce him to the other guy, etc).

I'd say he definitely had some ulterior motives, he wasn't just a nice guy.
>>
>>71238417
>>71238434
He tried to kiss her after he knew she was 16

>>71238422
A more coherent story
>>
>>71238448
It could have even been the mountain lion. I don't think we ever hear a male voice.
>>
>>71238422
The sweet visuals and music like from OGF but this time with an actual story backing it.
>>
>>71238083
Actually that wasn't him, I'm the guy was last night. I guess someone else took their mom kek.

The only thing she was visibly uncomfortable with was the necrophilia scene. I did regret letting her come because she kept trying to fucking talk. We both thought the ending was hilarious and I'm not sure if it was meant to be or not. I really liked it though, 8/10 for me
>>
>>71238480
>It's OGF + Drive

I'm sold already.
>>
>>71238511
It wasn't a mountain lion, it was a cougar.
>>
>>71238485
When he left the restaurant and stayed at the staircase telling her they were inhuman, that indicated this dude was 'good'. He's the quintessential 'everyman' in this movie, so the movie feels grounded in reality.
>>
>>71238433
??
>>71238511
good point, I did notice that, idk why she would be pleading with a literal animal though
>>71238434
idk I figured he was about that age too, maybe 21, but the actor is 27 now
>>
>>71238502
Yes I admit that was weird but compare to everyone else he just seem like a saint though he may have been sinister motives once you think about it.
>>
>>71238537
Yeah that was the scene she walked out of.
>>
Loved it, but one scene still has me bamboozled. What are some thoughts on the whole moon period scene?
>>
Anyone else surprised by the lack of tits in this film? There's the corpse and then the shower scene and that's it
>>
>>71238617
There's also the Watering the pool scene.. Though I think she had her nips covered, but you could still see everything.
>>
>>71238612
it moved more like a thinner liquid ie urine, but looked dark so idk
>>
>>71237876
>Taking your mum no No Refunds Refn's wild ride

WAT
A
T
>>
>>71238644
Yeah but she has a gross fucking body. I'm just glad I got to see the one girl from Mad Max naked, she was the hottest in the film.
>>
>>71238612
It was her time of the month.

I think it might be some symbolism like life vs death. Considering her job and that other scene had to do with death, having a period and the moon are pretty much both symbols of fertility, womanhood, etc.
>>
>>71238612
No clue bruh

I thought that that was what Gigi was doing at the end though, before the whole vomiting incident
>>
>>71237963
COPY THAT
>>
>>71236488
The waxing and waning of the moons has traditionally been associated with female menstruation.
>>
You guys can't deny Refn always has top tier cinematography
>>
>>71238612
It seemed to similar to some descriptions of Ashtoreth, a demon associated with the moon and sexuality.
>>
>>71238717
I guess I'm just confused as to why it's in the film?
>>
>>71238689
menstrual blood is thicker than that, idk how accurate they were going fo though, style over facts
some sort of water breaking birth thing?

>>71238703
oh god I thought they were going to cut to her having massive diarrhea going everywhere or something like that
>>
>>71238703
I thought she was going to vomit out a nose or something, or just flesh. Does an eyeball stay perfectly intact like that?
>>
>>71238750
It's a film that revolves around femininity, makes perfect sense to me.
>>
>>71238817
Does a mountain lion really rip up a motel room
>>
>>71238764
Well there's also a lot less blood than that in a real menstruation. So I don't know if it's supposed to literally be that, or just invoke that image.
>>
>>71238817
that was probably symbolic, she mentioned how she thought the moon was a giant eyeball as a child.
>>
>>71238847
No, Elle did that. That's why Keanu wanted her to pay for the damages.
>>
>>71238866
Makes sense. Fits in with the moon scene too.
>>
film was brilliant, I'll never doubt Refn again
>>
How much do you think it will make at box office opening weekend?
>>
Are we not going to talk about the triforce?
>>
File: siermathgb2.png (107 KB, 602x527) Image search: [Google]
siermathgb2.png
107 KB, 602x527
>>71239219
It wasn't a triforce, it's a sierpenski triangle. You play too many video games.
>>
>>71239219
It's upside down, which someone mentioned in another thread could symbolize a uterus.It was also the last thing Jesse saw before she passed, a constellation of stars in the shape of an upside down triangle.
>>
>>71239218
Basically nothing. Didn't Amazon fund this movie?
>>
>seeing this in LA tomorrow night with NWR/Elle Fanning live Q&A afterwards

My hype could not ascend any higher.
>>
>>71239348
Say hi from /tv/
>>
>>71239348
Thats really cool,tell us how it goes homie.
>>
Was it really a horror movie? That's what I've seen the genre listed as in some descriptions, but I don't know if it really is a horror movie.
>>
>>71239348
Lucky bastard
>>
>>71239348
Ask her why her neck's so long.
>>
>>71239348
Ask him what Refn meant when Driver said that he was dirty.
>>
>>71239348
I'm jelly as fuck. You better think of some good questions, I hate Q&As where noone can think of anything to ask.
>>
>>71239348
Ask him when Drive 2's coming out.
>>
>>71239385
I havent seen it yet so my opinion is irrelevant but people forget horror can encompass a wide variety of genres and emotions.

it is truly the best.
>>
>>71237876

Man I hope I get to see this in theaters next week.
>>
>>71239385
plenty of horror elements
>>
>>71226979
The people writing those reviews are pussies, philistines, moronic, or some combination thereof.
>>
>>71239385
Less "a skelton popped out!" and more creepy, unsettling atmosphere
>>
>>71239385
It was a very Refn take on horror, if that makes any sense.
>>
I was really impressed by the dags acting. She has incredibly expressive eyes.
>>
Was there any reason why Ryan Gosling wasn't in this? Did he just get tired of Refn's shit?
>>
>>71239769

Abbey Lee is fucking awesome, I liked her inclusion. She has that genuine model look, naturally beautiful in a kind of otherworldly sort of way. Suited the film.
>>
>>71239812
possibly, he was out doing a bunch of other stuff too

hopefully they reunite
>>
When the credits were rolling, does anyone know if that was Elle walking at the end? Just saw her from the back, but I couldn't tell, all these white blonde girls look alike to me.
>>
>>71226035
Any webms?
>>
>>71239812
>>71239837

I feel as though any further collaboration by them with Ryan as the lead would be so heavily scrutinized and held up to the weird sort of "legacy" of their previous two projects that I wouldn't want to see Gosling show up again. I don't think he will unless maybe as a minor character.
>>
>>71238717
the moon has always been a feminine symbol. the sun is masculine. you'll notice Elle was actually called the sun, and also called masculine during the movie. she also asked the moon if she saw her. something to think about
>>
I thought it was really ballsy of Refn to cast such big name actors for small parts.
>>
>>71239821
she was The big new model a few years ago
happy to see her acting! she had disappeared from modeling for a bit
>>71239899
it was her hair
>>71239966
and the other three are orbiting around her...
>>
anybody know what constellation that was that Elle saw when she died?
>>
>>71240023
They looked like a triangle, dunno if that helps.
>>
>>71240056
thanks man. I think I'll just have to watch it again
>>
>>71240079
Time well spent
>>
>>71234104
>implying sjws follow any sort of logical consistency
>>
>>71236606
There's always a fresher, better looking beauty waiting till you begin to show some age.
>>
>>71240669
I would argue that it was her understated virginity/purity that created the aura that would have allowed her to scale the fashion world the agent, photographer, and designer could all sense it.
>>
>>71237937
I loled when the girl puked up the perfectly round, white cartoon eyeball That was meant to be funny and if you can't see that then you're autistic.
>>
>>71239385
In the same way that The Shining and Eraserhead are horror movies. It's an auteur film maker who's films transcend genre. Horror is just the closest fit for this one.
>>
Yeah, I suppose it could be used to symbolize a uterus. The hallway mirror as part of that runway certainly feels like we get a different Jesse after that scene. It also starts right-side up in the film, and then is turned upside down in a very on-the-nose sort of visual metaphor. The amount of time we spend with the triangles is a little indulgent, but I mean I get it.

I suppose there's a bit to be said about the sort of classical pyramid composition and the idea of how we compose beautiful images, but again - it's a tad on the nose. It's Refn though, so I kind of expect him to be pretty blunt about it.
>>
>>71241304
in some q&a refn said it's supposed to symbolize the three women and something feminine(? uterus, the pool is an empty (virginal) uterus...runways=vaginas...o yikes) saw on imdb
>>
>>71240798
I agree, there were actually a few times/lines were I giggled. The ending was downright hilarious though, I loved every second.
>>
>>71241442
o no it can go...so deep...(ie so shallow)
when jesse gives her speech on the diving board...seen from above it's like...a clit and a vagina...jerking herself off so to speak...please cite this brilliant insight accordingly
>>71241483
I forget where but there where two or three times where there was an on-purpose joke that actually landed and that is what shocked me the most.
>>
>>71241540
The 2 bitchy models had quite a few funny lines though I can't remember them off the top of my head
>>
>>71229634
Neon Demon > Bronson > OGF > Valhalla Rising >>> Drive (still good desu)
>>
>>71241617
I heard your parents are dead
>>
This is the most civil and non meme filled discussion I've seen on this board in a while. Thank you anons.
>>
File: 1362364185801.jpg (37 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1362364185801.jpg
37 KB, 500x333
>>71242131
fuck that one really got me
>>
>>71242323
only those with intelligence can appreciate NWR
>>
>>71240798
laughing at everything doesn't mean only the ending.
>>
>>71242375
There were plenty of other funny parts.
>>
>>71242498
That's not everything. This audience literally burst out laughing at the casting scenes, whenever not Terry Richardson was on screen, the corpse fucking, etc.
>>
>>71242550
>laughed at the corpse fucking
Jesus really? Maybe it was nervous laughter? I was pretty shocked desu
>>
>>71230229
Did he say he was anti trump? He only said why he thought Trump and Bernie are popular.
>>
>>71242550
Yeah I busted hour laughing when she spit in her mouth and started frenching the corpse and there was that strand of spit between their mouths. That shit was hillarious.
>>
>>71234946
>Depiction is not endorsement, however.

I tried to explain this to someone once and I could see their brain shut off before they replied with "Yeah, but it's still bad.". It was... truly fascinating to behold.
>>
>>71242966
REST EASY, MONKER
>>
File: 1449452197780.png (89 KB, 1272x1152) Image search: [Google]
1449452197780.png
89 KB, 1272x1152
>>71234743
>nod to kubrick
>>
>>71239966
very interesting. this actually makes the scene extremely relevant.

I'm still fuzzy on the symbolism of Keanu's character. It seems more than just a "predatory" thing
>>
>>71243398
I'm still thinking about Keanu's place too
>>
>>71243398
>>71243578
Not sure about what he symbolises but i loved that he couldn't get the door open with the key in the scene with the cat, and it later shows the rapist having trouble with her door, implying it was him trying to get it.
>>
File: hnngh.jpg (11 KB, 221x185) Image search: [Google]
hnngh.jpg
11 KB, 221x185
>>71226035
So the three other women were witches, right?
>>
top tier soundtrack, cannot wait to hear Demon Dance again
>>
>>71244452
I can't wait to see that runway scene again. I wanted to see it again as soon as it was over
>>
>>71229634
You really should watch the Pusher trilogy.
>>
>>71226698
Apparently she was 17 while the movie was shot
>>
>>71243578
Keanu is redpilled. He's the only man in the movie she has no power over.
>>
>>71244487
Pusher isn't even the same person directing
His Danish films have nothing to do with his output since Valhalla
>>
File: 1465538408132.jpg (32 KB, 557x612) Image search: [Google]
1465538408132.jpg
32 KB, 557x612
Best movie of the year for me.
It has it all, visuals, acting, tension, humor.. Everything Spring Breakers wish it was
Definite pleb filter
>>
>>71245714
They're still good and you can see how he has evolved as a director.
>>
>>71245308
16/17
>>
>>71226979
I'm at a point where I can't trust anything as far as entertainment expectations go: can't trust reviewers, trailers, my own taste, snippets of the movie etc. Only after experiencing the product in it's entirety I can say if i liked it and what was good about it. What do?
>>
File: Immagine.jpg (62 KB, 1190x511) Image search: [Google]
Immagine.jpg
62 KB, 1190x511
>>71238847
>>71238877
I though it was pretty clear that Keanu went and open Elle's door for raping her, didnt find her because she was with Dean and then a mountain lion (predatory symbol) found its way in, foreshadowing Keanu true nature
>>
>>71239348
Ask him if he browse /tv/
>>
>>71238511
So a cougar was outside Jesse's room, tried to open the door using the doorknob, realized it was locked and went to the next room?
>>
File: Alessandro_Nivola_2015.jpg (477 KB, 595x900) Image search: [Google]
Alessandro_Nivola_2015.jpg
477 KB, 595x900
>Your name is Bean?
>>
So was the models literally demons?
>>
>>71235407
>turn that 6 around that's a 9 now
>>
>>71248600
Jesse was the Neon Demon. Essentially a play of aesthetic corruption/narcissism. Other girls represent faux beauty, inner beauty, and lost beauty (according to renf)
>>
File: CluH7hCWkAADwdN.jpg (59 KB, 672x517) Image search: [Google]
CluH7hCWkAADwdN.jpg
59 KB, 672x517
>>71235483
>>
>>71237475
I figured Keanu has mentioned the same thing he mentioned to Bean, to someone else. Perhaps even pimped her out. It didn't seem in his character to do it himself. Maybe that was the phone call?
>>
>>71238644
I couldn't tell, I thought she had her nips tattooed or really dark ones. I need new glasses.
>>
>>71244318
There was nothing supernatural in this movie.
>>
File: 1466699630565.gif (1 MB, 268x274) Image search: [Google]
1466699630565.gif
1 MB, 268x274
>>71249847
What?
>>
>>71244452
The soundtrack is out on soudcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/milanrecords/03-the-demon-dance-julian-winding-the-neon-demon
>>
>>71249934
There was nothing supernatural in this movie.
>>
I really really liked this movie. My only gripe is how NWR shot the climax with the whole chase. It just seemed kind of amateur and not as exciting as it could be. Come on a sucker punch from Abby Lee to start it off? She looks like she's 100 pounds. It would probably feel like a mosquito bite.
>>
>>71250010
There was plenty of hints, some supernatural things were going on.
Ruby was some kind of Warden of some kind of Order, Jesse had premonition, eating her corpse was effectively in transferring her beauty to the others models.
>>
a in the state of Victoria is screening Neon Demon. Please help me!
>>
>>71250210
There was nothing indicating that the vampirism & cannibalism actually worked/was anything more than a superstition. I don't believe it was real myself.
>>
>>71250265

The girl was passed over for Fanning in the catwalk audition but after she ate her the photographer noticed her and acted like he had never seen her before even though it was established that they had worked together.

Right?
>>
>>71250469
this
>>
>>71250469
Except we had never seen them interact before, so we don't know how they interact or what kind of relationship they had.
>>
>>71250265
>the room changing color after ruby drew on the mirror
>the moon "menstruation" scene
>>
>>71252336
Reaching for straws. She drew on the mirror to notify the other models that Jesse was meat.
>>
>>71237937
Had someone say, "where's the demon" about 2/3's through
Thread replies: 237
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.