[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could a Warhammer 40k movie work? Why haven't Hollywood
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 25
File: dow3.jpg (28 KB, 620x312) Image search: [Google]
dow3.jpg
28 KB, 620x312
Could a Warhammer 40k movie work? Why haven't Hollywood picked it up already?
>>
It's too complex and nuance based for them.
>>
File: hx6edy.jpg (224 KB, 900x563) Image search: [Google]
hx6edy.jpg
224 KB, 900x563
>>71221343
>40k
>nuanced
>>
you have to have Asimov's Foundation series, layed with colonial marines, and starship troopers powered armor, with a glorification of battle that makes klingons blush, and that's just the humans.
>>
>>71221329
gw are ip nazis
>>
>>71221416
you seen a movie about Asimov's foundation series?
>>
>>71221525
culturally speaking, movie goers are blind deaf and dumb to that nuance. They understand machines and robots and sentient AI, as of recent times, but nothing like that.
>>
Because unlike Warcraft, which even that did terribly here, no sizable audience plays let alone knows what the fuck Warhammer 40k is. Even China wouldn't go see it.
>>
>>71221502
>>
It's made for literal retards, how could it possibly work?
>>
>>71221570
third dawn of war about to be released, inspiration for starcraft, and has the potential to be good stories just on merit alone of being unique compared to other stories.

But that's why it'll never be/work is because unles it had the tragic love war hero story like Pearl Harbour, it's not for hollywood.

still should be more like resident evil and just have some god damn cgi movies series.
>>
File: LowPressureFrontSpooky.jpg (127 KB, 468x700) Image search: [Google]
LowPressureFrontSpooky.jpg
127 KB, 468x700
>>71221416
no one could really imagine what it would be like to """live""" inside of a terran hive city, and then to imagine what would happen when a chaos cult springs up there and does its thing with the inevitable result... and then the equally inevitable exterminatus

most movie audience goers won't understand the legitimate nuance of the reasoning behind burning an entire world.

the most likely route the movie would take is another movie about space marines... not the guardsmen who use flashlights to keep the night away, or any other kind of low-tier human.
> 40k movie about a galley slave of an imperial warship
>>
>>71221607
figurative retards exist? or you mean autistic?
>>
>>71221329
It would work better as a Rome like series, but the cost would be astronomical.
>>
>>71221694
>but the CGI render farm cost would be astronomical
>>
>>71221661
I always thought the best way to do it would be a first act about the Guards, then 2nd about the space marines in a sort of comparison to the guards against chaos, then end the third act with the guard going artillery against the space marines.

that would be more like a good warhammer story.
>>
>>71221728
yup. cgi is still not cheap.

I think they could do it more as a Rotoshop like Scanner Darkly. less overhead, and better realism.
>>
>>71221329
It has been done, at least 2 times. With bad results.
>>
>>71221754
Nah the best would be to have the Marines be seen only from a distance or on very rare occasions, without the movie ever focusing on their story, rather integrating space marine action in the other charater's lives and seing it from their point of view.
If it were a series though, a character could eventually be selected to become an Astartes, who knows.
>>
>>71221329
No, because you already made a movie and it was complete shit.
>producer meeting
>someones pitches the idea of utilizing MUH SPEESMAREEENS intellectual property
>producers get some gofer to run some research
>powerpoint presentation of Ultramarines and why it was a waste of John Hurt and Doctor Who
>pitch thrown out
>>
Imperium is too far removed from current mindsets, trying to make an imperial character explain why the actual fuck is everyone hating the aliens so much would be "as you know" of the highest degree (or more likely, he wouldn't know himself). Why not make it about xenos which are more relatable, like tau or eldar? Eldar would be a decent pick because they give an opportunity to explain the origins of the entire shitshow.
>>
>>71221992
yeah exactly,
>>
File: 1449198638969.jpg (208 KB, 704x899) Image search: [Google]
1449198638969.jpg
208 KB, 704x899
>>71222116
>xenos which are more relatable
>>
>>71222116
and that's the exact thing you'll never see, avatar was the closest to a movie like that...

there are 3 human factions, all 3 of them are unrelatable, but the tau being motivated by pheromones is
>>
Pacific Rim is the closest you'll ever see to a WarHammer 40k type movie.
>>
>>71221661
Why would that be difficult?

>terminator style intro, text says "40000 years into the future it will be grimdark bla bla" then a short battle between space marines and chaos marines in a spaceship over a MacGuffin
>credits
>salvage spaceship full of working class humans finds the MacGuffin
>spaceship goes to a planet and lands giving us a view of a hive
>camera drops down from the gleaming towers where the elite live with balconies and shops, past endless normy apartments, to the cyberpunk slums at ground level
>le multicultural gang with punk style hair and clothing of whom 1 is one of the main characters, a mary sue
>some guy with a motorbike is gloating, mary sue says "yeah, I can do that in my sleep"
>they decide to bring her along to participate in a heist
>they put on bland normy hive clothing and go up to the upper levels, theree is a hacker, mary sue flatters a guard
>steal the MacGuffin
>gang members possessed
>mary sue is like "that's a bad idea"
>cult starts and mary sue quits the gang
>cult attracts the attention of inquisitors
>inquisitors capture her
>etcetera etcetera
>>
>>71221329
I think the name recognition might not be high enough, for a space-opera kind of theme the nuance can also get pretty lost (especially so when considering the Grim Dark which in all likelihood will be seen as edgy as fuck).

You'd have to move it towards a human protagonist or the likes and show some of the inherent silliness and terror that go hand-in-hand in the 40k universe. What story to follow would also be somewhat of a problem I think, 30k/The Horus Heresy might be a better alternative with humans only and making it clearer which sides are fighting who and for what.
>>71221791
This is actually quite a good idea, aside from just going directly into making it an animated show.
>>
File: trailer_bild.jpg (49 KB, 515x560) Image search: [Google]
trailer_bild.jpg
49 KB, 515x560
>>71221329
Check out Damnatus: The Enemy Within
>>
>>71222415
>plot twist splinter fleet appears
>>
>>71221329
No.
See previous answer.
>>
Could a Supreme Commander movie work?
>>
>>71222448
>Trying to adapt the Horus Heresy
You're mad.
>From non Primarch or marine POV
You're fucking insane.
>>
>>71222633
Ok, stay with me here anon, I haven't read the entire book series but I am pretty up to date with the Forge World books if that matters. Wouldn't something like a perpetual actually streamline stuff. Show them the big picture, besides showing stuff from a non-primarch POV could work right? r-right?
>>
>>71222448
>The Grim Dark Will Be Seen As Edgy As Fuck
>Will Be Seen As
A 9000 year old corpse is fed thousands of psychics every day to make a spooky soul burning lighthouse. The spooky soul burning lighthouse allows a three eyed inbred fuck to guide an army of indoctrinated fanatics in a space cathedral through LITERAL FUCKING SPACE HELL, except the demons are made of the darkness in the souls of every race.

IT IS NOT A MISINTERPRETATION
40K 'IS' EDGY AS FUCK

Or at least it has been since they dropped the tongue in cheek
>>
File: 1465312771371.png (34 KB, 183x212) Image search: [Google]
1465312771371.png
34 KB, 183x212
>40kids
ugh
>>
File: scary.jpg (46 KB, 680x483) Image search: [Google]
scary.jpg
46 KB, 680x483
Because 40k is an even smaller nerdier niche market that Warcraft and no one cares.
>>
>>71222806
Dude, no. I'm fucking lost trying to even visualise it. It'd be like Cloverfield except rather than glimpses of the monster you'd see glimpses of Sanguinius battling a bloodthirster above the gates. You'd have the fall of Horus relayed as gossip, FFS. Humans just didn't play as significant a role to be privy to the story, it'd be like remaking Friends from the POV of the Rats in the apartment.
>>
>>71223202
Ok, last pitch for my probably horrendous idea. Show it from the perspective of Garro or something like the knights errant? These fuckers were send all over the galaxy and had a pretty clear picture of what was happening right? Interspersed with some flashbacks while recruiting to add members to their order?
>>
>>71223346
The issue with this is the fragmentory nature. HH wouldn't be a Movie, it wouldn't be a trilogy, it'd maybe be several seasons of hour long episodes that would STILL need to cut entire plots. It's not just Big E off for a trot from his exploded moon lab, finds sons, goes home and suddenly a wild Heresy. It's years, decades, centuries. It's how every Primarch came to be their own being. It's the crusade to reconquer the galaxy. It's building the friendships between the Primarchs enough that when they shatter, you care. It's the payoff of seeing Horus, the cold corpse of Sanguinius at his feet, locking eyes with his betrayed father. That moment means nothing without the saga before it.

It would take years to accomplish, millions of dollars and writing teams who knew and cared for the lore. Even if in that one small chance they pulled it off, even IF it was the most true, poetic and artistic rendition The Horus Heresy could possibly be...

...normies would just see it as being camper than a row of pink tents, utterly absurd melodrama of wrestling plots tier...
...the worst part is that they'd be right.
>>
File: 1454891386790.jpg (420 KB, 1280x850) Image search: [Google]
1454891386790.jpg
420 KB, 1280x850
I've actually thought about this a lot. You can go one way and do straight 40k since the lore is almost never-ending. You can do down to earth IG stories based on books like Fifteem Hours, or a sort of dark thriller about Inquisitors and rooting out Chaos. You can even do Space Marines, the possibilities are endless.
I also thought that maybe what could be possible is a Horus Heresy HBO-esque series. Two hour long episodes a book. Obviously leave out shitter books like the Furious Abyss or whatever it's called. You start with the first 3 books (Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy In Flames) to set up the foundation, and then mix and match plotlines from the other books to create a nice working order timeline of the Heresy.
>>71223346
No. All Garro has really done is go back to Isstvan IV and get Loken back. All the Knights Errant have really done was assault the Vengeful Spirit, get their asses handed to them, and get out with half their strike team dead. You do the Heresy from everyone's perspective. Argel Tal, Lorgar, Kharn, Angron, Lion & Curze, Sevatar, Polux and Guilliman, Fulgrim Manus & Perturabo.
It kind of sucks, Warhammer 40k is a little to big for TV/Film goers to grasp. It's an entire history that you can't really boil down in a few minutes. I think the closest we'll ever get (hopefully) is a gritty Guard movie where they fight Chaos Cultists. I would throw as much money as I've ever had to see that
>>
>>71221641
>dow3

Oh shit, are they going back to dow 1 play style or sticking with 2s.
>>
>>71223803
>tfw you'll never see Horus standing over his mutilated father, his most beloved brother at his feet, and a lone Guardsmen walks into the room. He stares on in horror at the monster thirty times his size, almost bursting with pure Warp energy. Horus sees this little man, this mortal, and his existence is ended. It's what Oll has always wanted, just to die, to get some peace. The Emperor finally sees that His son is lost completely, and focuses all of His energy into the kink of Horus's armor that Sanguinius died to open. Horus falls, he should be dead, but he isn't. The Emperor crawls over to his lost son, and Horus looks his Father in the eye, shedding a single tear. He asks his Father to frogive him for everything he has done. With Horus's death, a psychic shockwave is sent across the solar system, casting all the daemons of the warp back into hell.

Really, that final battle aboard the Vengeful Spirit is biblical
>>
>>71224102
Gave me shivers. And that's what it deserves to do for newcomers. Yes, I'm sad I'll never see it on screen, but OTOH, I'll also never see it done so badly it sends me into a total autistic nerd rage.
>>
>>71224102
For one horrible moment I pictured it as an anime...

It worked
>>
>>71224221
Honestly it does make me sad that they'll never do the Horus Heresy the justice it deserves. There are so many heartbreaking, powerful moments of betrayal that, if done right, I couldn't help but cry at the sight of them. Fulgrim betraying Manus and the death duel that ensues, Argel Tal whispering "I'm sorry" before ordering the traitor legions to open fire on the Raven guard Salamanders and the Iron hands, Lorgar firing a fucking ship at near light speed into the Calth shipyards, Sanguinius and Horus duelling aboard the Vengeful Spirit.
It's just too big for it to ever work. And if it does ever happen, I really don't want them to fuck up these heartbreaking moments. Saying 'One day' is all we can really do and hope for
>>
>>71224414
I'd rather never see it done, than see it done badly.
>>71224329
Like if it was an anime for instance.
>>
File: warhammer-40k-inquisition.jpg (317 KB, 1440x1060) Image search: [Google]
warhammer-40k-inquisition.jpg
317 KB, 1440x1060
Despite how derivative many details of the setting are, Warhammer's space-gothic aesthetic is pretty different from the sci-fi that normies are familiar with. This is good because it means it could potentially be a huge hit, but they have to be smart about the parts of the setting they highlight, and the tone they take.

Making a movie about Space Marines is probably a mistake because it'll just be lumped together a bunch of existing movies about space marines and subsequently forgotten.

I think the best place to start would be with a psychological thriller about an Inquisitor and his descent into madness while battling a cult on a hive world. That would establish the important themes of the Imperium and Chaos, and then the Xenos factions could be added later in other movies. Most importantly its a localized conflict in a big universe, not a story about some heroes saving the galaxy, which I think would make it refreshing and different among the current crop of sci-fi movies.

A series about the Horus Heresy would be really cool, I will admit, but It would probably be based on the novels, which have lots of problems themselves, so its best left alone.
>>
Gotta say, when all of your characters are practically Universal Soldier it's really not that appealing.
>>
They just need to do an adaption of Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn series. It would create the perfect 40k movie. Would definitely need to be done in two parts, potentially even three. But it'd be a sick trilogy
>>
>>71224414
>>71224524
>>71224329
Whom could even do Isstvan V justice?
>>
>>71221607
So are the Marvel Movies and look how well they do.
>>
The jews who own hollywood resent the source material because it's too redpilled and would further the cause of the alt-right within millenial pop culture
>>
>>71224825
absolutely this. first movie has to be a dark thriller with punchy dialogue and a pitch atmosphere. establish the stakes or it becomes another le darkness in le space sci-fi shit

like im talking slow-burn, cinema verite, family drama shit for like the first half hour, and then bam chaos cult or nurgle infestation at the factory the main char works at or something and then just balls to the wall horror
>>
File: 1466726868239.jpg (310 KB, 1600x1198) Image search: [Google]
1466726868239.jpg
310 KB, 1600x1198
its been to long now the first one will be shity but the second one will be demanded to be done right by fans demand.
>>
>>71221329
it would fuel the fanboys economy.
besdides its not very american
>>
>>71221329

Because they already made one. It was called Battlefield Earth and it sucked.
>>
File: basedReagan.jpg (409 KB, 1562x855) Image search: [Google]
basedReagan.jpg
409 KB, 1562x855
>>71221329
Yes but it would be too dense on screen. Cathedrals of a thousand skulls are alot for a film to capture and 40k 'films' and games tend to counter this with large empty expanses instead that make it look shit.

Also it's good guy races are either hard fascism or balls to the wall communism which aren't very hollywood.
>>
>>71221329
>Could a Warhammer 40k movie work?

Way to gory for normies.
>>
File: 3453.jpg (94 KB, 482x641) Image search: [Google]
3453.jpg
94 KB, 482x641
>Hollywood makes warhammer 40k movie
>forced romance subplot
>>
>>71222415
THIS IS WHY I DON'T WANT A WARHAMMER MOVIE. If you're going to do it about the Imperial Guard, just fuck right the fuck off.

Space Marines need to be in that bitch hardcore. I don't care if it's from the POV of the Imp Guard, but anything without them is just another sci-fi.

I would want it to have the Tech-Priests of Mars as well.

There is so many interesting perspectives, and yet people will describe the next Dredd movie without Dredd.
>>
>>71223173
Narratively it's much richer. It should be done to expand the sci-fi world from just Star Trek and Star Wars and the obscure dredd/robocop/district 9 with something that has philosophy and guts.

It's blasphemed and yet is held as sacred.
>>
>>71227314
>romance subplot is between a space marine and a guardswoman
>at some point the spacemarine takes the helmet off and is revealed to be black
>>
>>71227314
>>71222219
This is 95% of all Warhammer memes.

Baneposting has more depth than this.
>>
Just make it about the orks.

It doesn't need a plot, or actors. Just 120 minutes of grunts, screams and explosions set in space will set box office records.
>>
>>71221329
No. It has a shit plot movie-wise (uh... There's war. And there's war. And it's grimdark).

Also shit aesthetics.
>>
File: 1378666736135.png (14 KB, 564x420) Image search: [Google]
1378666736135.png
14 KB, 564x420
>>71224882
>>
>>71221641
Please never comment on movies again.
>>
>>71224825
You have the movie slike pandorum and lockout that would fit in that class.

I would just want to see space marines in it as an entity that normies would think were some efficient terminator robot thing, only to find out they're some super-human fuck that doesn't die so good.

I don't care if it's about a small squad of Imp Guards on a space station that they're trying to stop from blowing up while killing off tyranide before the space marine auto-destructs it and boots.

That would be the conflict.

TO HAVE A 40k fight without it being a triangle, is no real movie to me.
>>
>>71227651
They did have a CGI movie but it wasn't as good. Resident Evil has 3 cgi movies now, and frankly they were not bad, the first one was pretty epic.
>>
>>71227471
>Space Marines need to be in that bitch hardcore.
Space Marines are boring unless you really dive into their lore though. The idea of them being superhuman monk-knights in space who stand apart from other Imperials because they view the Emperor as father and not god, etc. is cool, but you can't just stick that in a movie and expect people to get it.

They have to establish the setting with something else, and as they introduce people to more lore then you can have a Space Marine movie that's not boring.
>>
>>71221329
>Could a Warhammer 40k movie work?

Horus Heresy trilogy.
>>
File: 1462288570258.jpg (39 KB, 541x566) Image search: [Google]
1462288570258.jpg
39 KB, 541x566
>>
>Argel Tal saw it coming. The swords of red iron smashed the first three bolts aside, their power fields strong enough to detonate the shells as they streaked towards the primarch’s heart. The explosions threw the captain to the ground, his grey armour scraping along the stone with the shriek of offended ceramite.
>Vendatha was already in motion. The golden warrior leapt at the primarch, guardian spear spinning in his fists, an oath to the Emperor on his lips. Four Word Bearers blocked his path, and those four Word Bearers had to die.
>Rikus was the first to fall. The Custodian’s blade crunched into the soft, jointed armour at the Chaplain’s throat, punching from the back of his neck. Tsar Quorel died next, decapitated with a buzzing sweep of the energised blade, dead before he’d pulled his trigger.
>Deumos managed to fire a stream of bolt shells, none of which connected. Vendatha weaved left, thudded the base of his spear into the Chapter Master’s bolter, knocking it aside, and followed with a cutting swing that sheared both the Word Bearer’s hands from his body, severing them at the forearms. Deumos had a scarce moment to draw in a stunned gasp before the spear sliced again, this time cleaving through his collarbone and spine, ripping his head free.
>Vendatha span the blade in his hands, letting it come to rest with the tip and gun barrel aimed at Lorgar’s heart again. Behind the Custodian, the bodies crashed to the ground in slow succession. Three seconds had passed.

the whole thing would have to be filmed in slow motion
>>
>>71224102

what does Oll do on Horus's ship? I know he's a watchamacall it like Grammaticus.
>>
>>71227761
That's why you make them the antagonists the first movie and the protagonists the second.

it would be like predator 2 from the alien's pov.
>>
>>71227918
The lore has been re-written a lot. When Emps teleported on after Horus dropped down his shield, a lone guardsmen got caught in the process and got onto the ship. He shouted for the emperor and horus blew him up with a thought, which let the emp know that his son was truly lost. Then it was changed to a custodian, then back to a guardsmen, then Oll was written up and if I remember correctly either in Know No Fear or Unremembered Empire, Oll gets visions of Sangy and Horus fighting and dying. Now he knows what he must do, and he'll somehow find a way onto the ship if black library ever decides to advance the plot. They are stalling right now because they don't have to go anywhere since they release horribly written no relevance to the story at all limited edition novels for triple the price. The only interesting one that gave a little more insight into relative events was Aurelian
>>
>>71221329
The people who own the franchise are terrified of it getting bigger then the gay little plastic men game they make
>>
File: Horus Heresy movie.jpg (423 KB, 1200x600) Image search: [Google]
Horus Heresy movie.jpg
423 KB, 1200x600
>>
>>71221329
No. They would fuck everything up. Forget all the tech and lore, they very moral system and values of 40k would completely alienate normies. So they'd need to change it, and that would be just about the worst thing ever,
>>
>whole thread of figure painters trying to autistically pretend that the Ultramarine movie never happened
You had your movie, it actually had a good cast, but it was shit just like your edgy board game.
>M-m-muh muhreens
>M-m-muh emperror
>B-b-better than Warcraft
Just go back to /tg/ already.
>>
>>71228459
>Assmad blizzardcuck coming into threat just to pms
Fuck off manchild. And Ultramarines wasn't nearly as bad as people say. It did some things shit, and some things pretty good.
>>
>>71221329
There is way too much lore and back story to fit into any acceptablr length runtime.
>>
>>71228514
I love 40k but that movie was pretty rough, agree on the cast but execution was poor, graphs were poor, and the story was only so so.
>>
>>71228459
>he unironically doesn't want to see a Guard regiment hold the line
>he unironically doesn't want to see a Commissar give the order to affix bayonets and give the Heretics one last great charge
>he unironically doesn't want to hear thousands of men shout 'For the Emperor'
go back to /wowg/
>>
>>71228628
I would really enjoy an IG movie with this.
>>
>>71228598
>black
>execution was poor
It was a decent setup with a half-assed execution.
>graphs were poor
Absolutely.
>and the story was only so so
Yea, between a squad of noob Smurfs fairing better against veteran Black Legion marines then an entire fucking company of Imperial Fists and an army of guardsmen that were on the defense, Black Legion charging like fucking World Eaters, the Chaplain not smelling a fucking Daemon Prince instantly and other such gems, it was pretty bad. The old Apothecary and the final scene redeem it quite a bit, though.
>>
>>71227565
Based Salamanders
>>
>>71228675
Everyone would. Imperial Guard are the most bad ass guys in existence
>>
>>71228711
True, and again the voice acting did being the quality up considerably. Couldn't save it though.
>>
>>71228906
15 Hours was one of the first books I read in the 40k universe
>>
>>71221329
I don't want to see Hollywood Butcher Wargamers, so no thanks.
>>
>>71229008
yeah Wargamers doing a good job of butchering itself you cunt
>>
>>71228906
I really hate the whole ''IG are so fucking badass and SM are enhanced pussies''. First off, most IG don't have a fucking choice, they're forcibly recruited and thrown into the fray and fight under pain of death. Second, SM's are the biggest fucking badasses simply by existing because they have to EARN their enhancements in a process with a survival rate of 1 in 500. And then, while guard are usually stuck mopping up the cultists and attacking en masse, SM's are sent where the deepest shit is, they have to fight ancients Chaos champions and what not. Not dissing the guard, but it's a lot harder being a Space Marine.
>>
>>71228957
I read it a few years ago and I think it's the best Warhammer novel ever written. It was very down to earth and as realistic as it could be given the setting. It also held true to the grimdark theme prevalent in the universe without going about it in a funny way over the top way. As a member of the military as well as coming from an army family I can really relate to how the ground troops feel when ordered to do retarded shit by a glory seeking officer. Generals are always completely out of touch as well.
My favorite 40k novel
>>
File: Dawn of War 2 Intro.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Dawn of War 2 Intro.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>71221329
The plot of Dawn of War 1 is very adaptable. It alone got me into 40k, at least. You could trim it down the exposition and make it 300 in space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liwSSe7XQ9I
>>
File: 1250798119630.png (409 KB, 872x1307) Image search: [Google]
1250798119630.png
409 KB, 872x1307
Maybe Imperial Navy or Imperial Guard thing that focuses on the average grunts.

And before any of you fucking neckbeard idiots start saying "lmao 40k IG is just human waves and comissars shooting them in the back xD" go fuck off.
Gaunts Ghosts or Ciaphas Cain style where they make sense.
>>
>>71229192
I'd rather have a Ciaphas Cain series that had some psycho in charge who would make sure it surgically stuck to the books instead of turning into pure shit like GoT.
>>
>>71229102
It is harder, I'm not denying that. My thing is that Space Marines biologically can't feel fear. They actually know no fear. Space marines are some of the biggest bad asses in any sci-fi setting. Not a lot of IG are threatened at all. They want to see the galaxy and fight for the emperor. The only one's that are actually threatened with death are the penal legions and whatever regiments reside on Cadia and Krieg.
To me, nothing is more bad ass than your rank and file soldier standing up to whatever abominations the galaxy has, and he fights it anyways. Nothing is more bad ass than a guard regiment holding the line against the horrors of chaos. They feel fear and they still fight. That's my opinion
>>
File: Cadian_Shock_Troops.jpg (264 KB, 1024x640) Image search: [Google]
Cadian_Shock_Troops.jpg
264 KB, 1024x640
>>71229102
>This butthurt that some people don't want to wank over muh Astartes
They say that if the Space Marines are the spearhead of the Imperium's forces, then the Imperial Guard is the shaft of the spear, the man holding it, and the ground he's standing on.
>>
>>71229338
>Space Marines biologically can't feel fear

What?
>>
>>71229272
>film fades in to the sounds of war
>you see a Commissar and his adjuntant sprinting across a battlefield littered with tyrannid corpses
>his aid trips
>looks back and with no hesitation at all keeps running leaving his friend to die
>he looks forward and sees he is about to run into a fucking hive tyrant
>scene freezes
>'Now, I really don't know how I ended up here"
>>
>>71229338
I don't know if you know this, but the Imperial populace at large doesn't know anything about it's enemies. It knows there's kind of a war going on somewhere, but it has no idea just what kind of shit they live in. So Guardsmen don't know Chaos or Tyranids or Orks or DEldar EXIST until they face them, and by then they don't have a choice to back out. So it's less being badass brave heroes (although they still are, and are capable of incredible feats, like that guardsman sacrificing himself to save Cato Sicarius from the Daemon Prince Kor Megron), and more being completely kept in the dark about their enemies until it's too late.
>>
>>71227573

It's like 95% of all lines in warhammer. Fucking everything is heresy and everyone is a secret cultist. Might as well externiatus the entire galaxy at this point and funnily enough that would actually result in Chaos losing.
>>
>>71229113
That was what drew me in, I knew it was sci-fi but I didn't realize the scope until after I finished it and googled 40k.
>>
>>71229363
I'm not butthurt, but apparently you are. I'm just sick of people wanking the guard so much, when in reality, they're mostly just tricked into dying.
>>
Just make a whole movie like this desu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_ZgyNoHtjw
>>
>>71229433
The training and hypnotic conditioning removes their capacity for fear apparently
>>
>>71229102
>First off, most IG don't have a fucking choice, they're forcibly recruited and thrown into the fray and fight under pain of death.
This depends heavily on what world they're recruited from, like basically everything in the Imperium. In general IG are tithed from among the elite of each world's Planetary Defense Force. In some places there is competition among PDF regiments for the honor of being inducted into the guard. In other places they might send regiments of criminals or other undesirable people so they don't have to deal with them any more. Also on some worlds joining the PDF is voluntary, while on others there is a draft.
>>
File: 1458826200503.jpg (976 KB, 994x3404) Image search: [Google]
1458826200503.jpg
976 KB, 994x3404
>>71228189
>>
>>71229433
Spesmuhrens are refined and weaponized autism, which appeals to the autist war gamers.
>>
>>71221329
nerd shit is p mainstream but not that nerd
>>
>>71229440
That's for there own protection. Knowledge of Chaos can be a seed. Once someone knows there is an easy escape from the hellish existence, they will reach out and try and take that no matter the consequence. Then you have a full blown heresy.
>>
>>71221329
orks vs space marines on a desert world would work. just have a lone space marine/ig/whatever get captured by orks and have to run away with lots of mad max chase scenes
>>
>>71229440
Not at all. In every Guard related novel I've read they all know/have encountered Orks and Chaos. They don't understand Chaos and the Warp but it isn't their place to. How do you not know orks exist when they assault Armageddon and launch the biggest WAAAGH in the history of mankind? Guard know who and what they are fighting. They most likely don't understand it, but still holding the line against Chaos fulled cultists led by chaos marines, overwhelming tyrannid assaults and fucking Orks? As a simple human? That's bad ass
>>
>>71221329
it would only work as an action movie with focus on visuals and cheesy one-liners. the lore is too much of a clusterfuck to make a good movie out of it.
>>
>>71221329
Will never work as a movie.

It requires obscene amounts of suspension of belief.

You need a decent enough handle on the source material.

It is a power fantasy for adolescent boys, real and at-heart. It isn't about story telling, it's just about action. Vidya game is the proper medium for wh40k. Next is books and art.

I'm on the DoW3 hype train
>>
>>71229836
Wow you proved yourself wrong by explaining Warcraft, you idiot
>>
>>71226496
Dawn of the Dead remake combined with Aliens set in a Hive

Fund it.
>>
File: Ancient_Dreadnought.jpg (122 KB, 876x627) Image search: [Google]
Ancient_Dreadnought.jpg
122 KB, 876x627
>Faith is what fans the guttering spark of my existance

what did he mean by this?
>>
>>71229924
Bjorn only serves to defend the Emperor and to see his Father one last time. He's the oldest character in the lore I believe
>>
I wouldn't want one unless they full on embraced everything and went for the hard R rating for excessive violence.

Hollywood will never risk a big budget action movie unless it goes PG-13 though, too bad.

Also everything has to be Gothic as FUUUUUUUCCCKKKKK no modernizing the look of anything,
>>
>>71221329
Can someone explain Warhammer 40k? Asking for a pleb
>>
>>71229536
Being fearless and focused in battle isn't the same thing as being biologically incapable of feeling it.
>>
>>71229873
normies can barely handle ST:TNG. warcraft isn't hard to get when we've all seen LOTR.
>>
>>71229836
>It requires obscene amounts of suspension of belief.
Not as much as harder sci-fi imo. 40k is full blown space fantasy, disconnected from everything we know by 38 millennia of disasters, mistakes, and bad decisions. It doesn't need to make sense because there's nothing left to compare it to to make it make sense.
>>
File: lordi9.jpg (66 KB, 1476x673) Image search: [Google]
lordi9.jpg
66 KB, 1476x673
Can't wait for The Lord Inquisitor.

Some CGI guy from the Witcher studio is making it in his spare time, with GW's approval, unlike those Germans. Looks brilliant.

https://youtu.be/JjaYW5Cnr5k
>>
>>71229996
Dark Ages + Fall of the Roman Empire in space.
>>
>>71227565
>space marine involved in relationship with normal humans
>he is black
literally Salamander
>>
File: God-Emperor.jpg (296 KB, 1115x1386) Image search: [Google]
God-Emperor.jpg
296 KB, 1115x1386
>>71229996
"For more than a hundred centuries the Emperor has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the Master of Mankind by the will of the gods and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the Imperium, for whom a thousand souls die every day, for wom blood is drunk and flesh eaten. Human blood and human flesh - the stuff of which the Imperium is made.

"To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruellest and most bloody regime imaginable. This is the tale of those times.

"It is a universe you can live today - if you dare - for this is a dark and terrible era where you will find little comfort or hope. If you want to take part in the adventure prepare yourself now. Forget the power of technology, science and common humanity. Forget the promise of pregress and understanding, for there is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter and the laughter of thirsting gods.

"But the universe is a big place, and whatever happens, you will not be missed..."

Straight out of my 5th ed rulebook.
>>
>>71229435
would watch/10
>>
Ugh, 40k fluff is so stupid, even for schlock.

Its transformers tier.
>>
Look up the lord Inquisitor on youtube
>>
>>71229996
Empire inspired by the worst parts of Roman Empire, medieval Catholic Church and Third Reich are the good guys.
>>
>>71230364
Thats a good thing, considering how much money transformers made.
>>
>>71221329
Too expensive, too niche and not much acessible.

But hey, if Warcraft's sequels manage to do well I could see a light-WH4K movie in some years.

The /tg/ rage would be fantastic
>>
>>71230069

>mfw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKISZ8IhTD4
>>
>>71229957
Oldest loyalist. Abbs, Erebus, Kor Phaeron and a dozen of other guys from Great Crusade are still around even if they serve chaos now.
>>
>>71221525
No, but Johnathan Nolan is writing the HBO adaptation.
>>
>>71225759
D.W. Griffith
>>
>>71230195
Salamanders are graphite black and have red eyes...
>>
>>71229972
>I wouldn't want one unless they full on embraced everything and went for the hard R rating for excessive violence.
>Xenos & Traitors getting melted, boiled, chainsawed, power-axed or bolter-ed into gory red paste

This would be a must in the movie/series, if it becomes PG-12 it would serve no purpose and fuck right off.
>>
>>71228881
>>71230195
Problem is, Salamanders look like you took a white man and colored him pitch-black, not like actual niggers.
>>
dumb /v/edditors

mods don't give a shit about /v/ crossposting or /sp/ crossposting when its barely even remotely related to tertiary topics of /tv/

kill yourselves
>>
>>71227819
sleep tight happy space marine ;_;7
>>
>>71231342
>read word black
>heard word nigger
there's your problem.
>>
>>71230639
just as good as a 40k movie.
>>
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/13th_Penal_Legion_(Last_Chancers)

The movie writes itself.
>>
>>71221329

Because racism..... space racism..... spacism...
>>
>>71233070
that's not racism if the are from another race that xenophobia
>>
>>71222415
please never consider writing
>>
>>71233070
so like Jango and 12 years a slave didn't work either???

explain yourself buzzword
>>
>>71232998
>Johnathan Nolan
>good
bread.
>>
>>71233219
Those movies were shit
>>
>>71232901
?

Not him but those words are all literally the same thing. Black, nigger, negro, they're all interchangeable.
>>
>>71221329
1. There's no audience aside from a minor group of autists like us tha know WH40k
2.Current year would not allow a movie which paints Humans as xenophobic conquerors who fight for the glory of The Emperor
>>
File: 1464138558383-3.jpg (64 KB, 500x588) Image search: [Google]
1464138558383-3.jpg
64 KB, 500x588
>>71222116
>Xenos
>Relatable
Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.