[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we talk about how and why this show is MILES better than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 22
File: maxresdefaultfggh.jpg (98 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefaultfggh.jpg
98 KB, 1280x720
Can we talk about how and why this show is MILES better than GoT could ever hope to be?

Who here is excited for the continuation of S4 next month?
>>
I tried watching season 1 and it was pretty awful. Does it improve?
>>
>>71212739
Yes.

S2 and S3 are top tier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_gwMWoXu10
>>
>>71212710
>Vikings
>better than shit
>better than anything
Kill yourself.

As a Norwegian, I cringe just hearing the word now.
>>
>>71212739
Honestly, I never got through season 1. My parents introduced me to the show and I didn't feel it. I skipped to season 2 and couldn't put it down. I might rewatch 1 though, but 2 and 3 are just handsdown great tv.

>>71212710
My brother and I were discussing this recently, we've enjoyed Black Sails season 2, and especially season 3, as well as the Vikings far more than we've enjoyed GoT in years.
>>
too bad being betterthan got means nothing

Vikings a shit show of same level
>>
>>71212710
How? It took the exact same route, the more successful it became the more it tried to please the tumblr audience and feminists. Turned from an at least somewhat historical show into a wannabe hollywood action-drama.
>>
>>71212710
It's not, it's actually worse.
>>
>>71212710
in genral i would say its a good show. but the seer guy is just dumb just like harbid or what ever his name is. those 2 things kinda make the show lame

any time those 2 things are not in the episode its good. its semi historically accurate.some things are debatable
>>
GOT S1 through 4 > Rome = Marco Polo >>> GOT 5-6 >> Vikings
>>
For me its Black Sails>GoT>Vikings
>>
>>71212778
I find the female cast in Vikings to be WAYYY better written than GoT.

I get that both shows have a feminist theme, but in Vikings it's executed a lot more subtly. GoT really goes out of its way to show you how "empowered" it's females are, often at the expense of the male cast.

Viking's male cast is still top tier by comparison. Ragnar, Rollo, and Bjorn are all fucking badasses.

>>71212770
I need to get around to watching Black Sails. I've heard good things about it. And yeah, same sentiment. I used to really like GoT, but after S4 it really started going down hill, and S6 has really hit a new low. Style over substance all the way, and terrible hamfisted writing.

>>71212821
Rome was trash m8.

>>71212790
>le contrarian meme
>>
>>71212710
Vikings
>no plot armor
>good set pieces
>great acting
>story progresses in a sensible manner

Game of Tropes
>plot armor everywhere
>set pieces get shittier as the show goes on
>crap acting
>random story
>>
>>71212843
Thing is, Black Sails season 1 is similar to Vikings season 1, at least to me. It flounders and missteps, but then season 2 course corrects and a GOAT show starts coming together.

Luckily Black Sails s1 is only 8 episodes, because it's campy and hammy as fuck, but season 2 and 3 just BTFO GoT. Don't give up on it. I probably am making it out to sound shit, it's not, but it's not great either. Stick it out.

Also, watch

>Banshee
>Halt and Catch Fire
>The Leftovers
>This is England
>The Knick
>>
File: lagertha-and-her-shieldmaidens.jpg (230 KB, 1291x695) Image search: [Google]
lagertha-and-her-shieldmaidens.jpg
230 KB, 1291x695
>>71212843
>subtle
>>
File: 1461241559826.jpg (35 KB, 311x374) Image search: [Google]
1461241559826.jpg
35 KB, 311x374
>>71212843
>bleats "le contrarian meme"
>says Rome is trash
you hilarious retard
>>
>>71212710

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug6Gez_kPHo
>>
>>71212843
>le contrarian meme
Fuck off.

Rome>GoT>Black Sails>Vikings
>>
>>71212898
My m8 who got me into Vikings said the same thing. He just told me to endure S1, because S2 and 3 really picked up, and got amazing. So I'll give it a go.

>>71212902
It IS subtle. For starters, it suits her character, and second, compared to Ragnar's accomplishments it's literally nothing.

>So you got your little earldom, that's nice Largetha

Plus, she got screwed over twice during it, and had to backstab and lie to get it back.

Compare this to GoT with Sansa "I was written into the Bolton plot just so I could be seen as an empowered female when I kill Ramsey, even though what he did to Theon was MILES worse than what he did to me" and anything to do with Daenerys, savior of Mankind, Breaker of Chains, Queen of Fucking everything, and Mother of plot devices.

>>71212910
Yeah, that was boss.

>>71212939
>>71212905
You're literally being contrarians. Fucking killyourselves. You're so blinded by your own arrogance than you believe your shitty opinions to be fact.

Vikings is OBJECTIVELY better written than GoT. It's more coherent, and doesn't go out of its way to rewrite the plot in order to force feminist themes. Everything that's happened is in line with the characters, and accurate with the historical events.
>>
>>71213010
>thinks we are being contrarian even though the majority of people consider GoT to be the superior show

Stay mad viking fag
>>
>>71213010
>and doesn't go out of its way to rewrite the plot in order to force feminist themes
m8 there is a lot of feminist bullshit on vikings season 3
>>
>>71213031
Ahh yes, the "le general populace" argument.

C'mon, son. The majority of people thought SW Ep. VII was cash.

the majority think Avengers, Captain America and so on are landmark films. Fuck off lmao.
>>
>>71213010
Why are you trying so hard to defend this shit show? There is a reason why this trash isn't getting popular

Not even a got fag, but that show does everything better

Plausible politics (though they are less now)
Top-tier acting (Charles Dance, Nicolaj Coster-Waldau and Lena Headey shit on the whole Viking cast alone)
Historical accurate fights (to a certain degree, there are some pet peeves)
>>
>>71213098
You realize that GoT is also far more critically acclaimed, right?

So it has awards, the populace behind it, and the critics. Do you even know what contrarian means?
>>
>>71213166
If you think GoT is more than 'good' post-s4, then you're mad. I don't care what other people think, because as I pointed out, the general populace AND critics and AWARD shows that give Lady Gaga an award over Kirsten Dunst don't mean shit.
>>
>>71212710
Vikings is fucking garbage.

So is GoT, but that doesn't magically make Vikings a good show
>>
>>71213186
So you do realize that you are being the contrarian then?
>>
>>71213134
>Lena Headey shitting on anybody in acting
>putting this ugly bitch on the same level as those ither two just because you're desperate to put a woman there
I liked Dredd too, mate, but nothing about Lena Heady is above average.
>>
>>71212752
dude that's fucking terrible

is this what passes for good television now?
>>
>>71213166
>>71213134
I don't even care about GoT that much. I'm just in disbelief this fagg >>71213010
actually said Rome is worst than Vikings. At the very least, it presents historical people and situations a hell of a lot better than Vikings. At best most of the plot lines are entertaining (even with the liberties they took) and acting supurb.
>>
>>71213218
Lena is a fine actress. I would put her on the same tier as Nikolaj but both are a tier below Dance.
>>
>>71213209
I'm not, because I'm not taking the opposite stance to take the opposite stance, I'm genuinely telling you what I believe. I'm not the guy you've been replying to, I'm just stating that award shows, critics and general audiences are fucking ridiculous.

>>71213218
Lena started off great, so did Tyrion. But all the greats are dead and the rest have been phoning it in for years.
>>
>>71212710
Too all who hate Season 1 understand its just setting the scene for ragnars transformation its mega juicy cause of all the english shit if your into it, which i am even though the girls on that side of the story wreak balls besides the crazy queen, she can bare my heir anyday.
>>
>>71213038
Like what?

The only one that sticks out to me is the Largetha subplot, and it's just a minor side story with no actual relevance to the plot. In fact, she outright get cucked by Ragnar when she asks for his help, and we focus on the main story.

It's literally an irrelvant side story for her character development, and it has no bearing on the main plot, and the show goes out of its way to demonstrate that by not involving Ragnar in it at all.

It's really more of a plot for Largetha's character development, since she IS one of the main characters, and she's also set to die sometime soon.

What other feminist stuff is there?

You have women literally sleeping with powerful men in order to be relevant, and they still get backstabbed or used by the men again and again. Like that hot French girl. Or the princess who was like "I don't wanna marry this barbarian" and then can't get enough of the Rollo D.

Look dude, writing interesting and powerful female characters ISN'T feminism. And in fact, it can be quite interesting.

Hamfisting storylines where the entire plot and focus of the show is basically to show how women are superior to men IS feminism, and GoT pretty much goes out of its way to show this lately.

In Vikings we have never seen, nor will we ever see Largetha or anyone else overcome Ragnar.

For fucks sake, Ragnar literally hits his wife, TWICE with LOYALTY and RESPECT, and gets nothing for it. He literally puts her in her place, and the show goes on.

GoT by that point would have her hatching some plot in order to have him killed, because 'muh feminism.'

>>71213134
I dont care if it's not that popular. In fact, if anything I'm surprised /tv/ has such shit taste.

I dont come to this board very often, but Ive been on 4chan long enough to know the general mindset of people here, and I would have assumed that this board would have agreed that Vikings was a good show, and better than GoT. 4chan tends to have unpopular opinions, but with good taste
>>
What about The Last Kingdom? Is it good?
>>
File: 1445167649958.jpg (60 KB, 344x307) Image search: [Google]
1445167649958.jpg
60 KB, 344x307
>>71213258
>>71213010
>>71212843
just let go

it's fucking shit and it's time to get over it

did you make VIkings? did you lose some kind of bet that's forcing you to be as contrarian as possible?
>>
>>71213300
I'm just saying dude.

I thought this board had better taste like the rest of 4chan.

But then I remember that /a/ got taken over by moefags. /v/ unironically liked Fallout 4. And you guys shilled TFA when it came out, and I remember than this place stopped having good taste ages ago.

I came here thinking I'd have an agreeable discussion with maybe some people disagreeing. Not an overwhelming number of people getting butthurt and saying that Vikings is shit and GoT is better.
>>
>>71213258
Uh mates writing interesting female characters IS feminism. You know because they atent all one dementional and rhey all have varying personalities? Making women look superior (instead of equals ) to men is not. Sigh what am I to suspect for a /pol/ 2.0 board desu. They're all just going to call me and anyone who disagrees an sjw.
>>
>>71213299
Watch bad things happen to the main character because he has bad luck and is a fucking retard: the show

>a couple episodes in
>two armies about to fight
>we will lose and are all doomed to die! our army is smaller and inferior!
>but oh no we won't because at night the outsider main character will save the day to prove his worth
>he sneaks past the enemy at night, sets their whole camp on fire and literally 1 v 1s the enemy leader to death when he's discovered
>"hey buddy you did a great thing there, you should go see the king and tell him"
>"lol nah i will go on my farm. i am certain nothing will go wrong while the army and my biggest rival go tell the king about what happened."
>main character sits around in his house and at some point decides to go see the king
>as he arrives someone goes "oh you were at that battle? i didn't hear that haha"
>HOW THE FUCK DON'T YOU KNOW ABOUT MY HEROIC DEEDS HOW CAN THIS BE POSSIBLE
>he storms into the church and disturbs Christian McChurchbuild the Pious during prayer
That's when I stopped watching

And even before that he gets fucked over like 10 billion times, it's just not fun to watch

>>71213349
Vikings really is just fucking shit anon.

>but at least it's not Game of Thrones!
That doesn't make it not shit.
>>
>>71213377
cuck
>>
File: 1466251970154.jpg (292 KB, 1920x806) Image search: [Google]
1466251970154.jpg
292 KB, 1920x806
Will Lagertha get naked this season?
>>
Like most TV series Vikings got worse and worse with every season only that the start was already weaker than GoT to begin with. I don't think vikings make good story material, at least not for long. All their motivation is killing and looting, it just gets repetitive as fuck even when the writers try to include some shitty twists all the time.
>>
>>71213423
>Fake tits with the refund gap

What a fucking crime. Anymore?
>>
>>71213377
No.

Feminism is a shit and misguided movement built on low self esteem, and a disdain for the established order and western culture. It's NOT about equality.

Art and politics are two different things.

You can write interesting and unique female characters, and NOT pander to feminism. Japan does it (sometimes). Hell, Alien and Terminator and Metroid are all good examples of this. The Fate Series with Tosaka Rin and Saber also does this. And those chicks are basically waifus. Writing interesting female characters, and even making them the MC is one thing. Deliberately pandering to Feminists by writing Mary Sues and revolving your story around showing how empowered your female cast is something entirely different.
>>
i just finished watching season and since i have read up on some of the characters

i am guessing ragnar is going the snakepit way of things since paris didn't finish him off, unless they come up with their own way for the show
>>
Season 1 was trash, each season got better after that. It's still not as good as GoT though. I've heard Black Sails follows the same path with the first season being trash and the rest being good, is it worth watching?
>>
>>71213680
Yes. Don't do yourself a disservice, get onto it. Like I said upthread, season 1 of BS is only 8 episodes, so it's not too much to drudge though. In fact, it's not trash, it's just campy and doesn't know what it wants to be. s2 and 3, epspecially are fucking GOAT.
>>
>>71213708
I watched the first episode and wasn't a fan, if it gets great though I can sit through some shit.
>>
>>71213728
Trust me, I'm an anon on the internet. Seriously though, get through it. Season 3 of this and Banshee is some of the best television lately.
>>
>>71213749
>Banshee

Really now?

I hardly made it through the pilot with that one
>>
>>71213802
Mate, trust. Again, it didn't leave a big impact, but season 2 and 3 (3 especially, like Vikings and Black Sails) are just balls-to-the-wall great fucking action. The show knows what it is. The gun fights and fist fights in season 3 are literally some of the best put to television. Give it another whirl. The pilot was shit compared to the rest of the show.
>>
Black Sails season 1 and most of season 2 was trash. Then Black Sails at the end decided to be about pirates and drop all the female characters that are not full fledged whores and the series became amazing.
>>
File: 1452633096851.jpg (7 KB, 249x250) Image search: [Google]
1452633096851.jpg
7 KB, 249x250
>>71213846
>>71213827
>>71213749
>it's a "dude i swear after 40 hours it gets amazing" episode
>>
>>71213846
season 2 was great, season 3 was GOAT. I'm glad the women took a backseat. I'd probably be called a sexist for saying this, but in these historical shows, women trying to be hard is just painful to watch, and incredibly disingenuous.

>>71213870
Nice b8 senpai
>>
sorry ive watched 5 minutes of this and got and both are teenage literal shit
>>
>>71213870
Black Sails was some generic TV drama with a pirate setting in season 1. At the end of season 2 there was a hard cut where all annoying characters got removed and the series went full pirate mode.
>>
>>71212843
>Rome was trash m8.
>criticises someone else about le contrarian meme
kill yourself
>>
>>71212710
>it's a Bjorn eats pussy like a wimpy beta faggot episode
>>
>>71213010
>le everyone else is wrong
kill yourself
>>
File: black sails.jpg (17 KB, 230x158) Image search: [Google]
black sails.jpg
17 KB, 230x158
But I liked Black Sails season 1

Also I'm surprised Black Sails season 2 isnt MUH PANDERING to /tv/ because of Flint

And season 3 isn't PANDERING to /tv/ because of MUH AFRICAN QUEEN
>>
>>71212710
lmao
shit tier acting, shit dialogue, shit story

nigga please fuck right off
>>
>>71212888
No plot armor yet Rollo resurrects multiple times
>>
>>71214677
>shit tier acting, shit dialogue, shit story
sounds like GoT.
>>
>>71214673

also MUH RIVERRAT ANNE BONNY in the season 3 finale but fuck anyone who didnt like that, it's about time she acted like a pirate and kicked some ass
>>
>>71213897
you're fucking retarded, what are you fifteen?
>>
>>71214696
did you tip your fedora while typing that hipster bullshit loser
>>
>>71214696
Who is saying GoT isn't shit too?

Vikings is complete fucking garbage and some other show being just as bad doesn't make it any better
>>
>>71214726
>GoT fan aka virgin loser gets offended
my sides have left orbit
>>
File: aethelwulf.jpg (13 KB, 236x265) Image search: [Google]
aethelwulf.jpg
13 KB, 236x265
Is there a word for an Ascended Cuck like Aethelwulf?

He's such a proud papa to his wife's son even though he hates her and should hate Alfred I can't help but be happy for him
>>
>>71214762
>Vikings fan aka virgin loser with shit taste gets offended

The only reason to watch GoT is to talk about it with the Normans, there is literally no reason whatsoever to watch Vikings.
>>
>>71214537
>he doesn't like eating pussy
What, you mean you prefer to suck dick? What are you? Gay or something son?
>>
Vikings is literally one of the worst shows I have ever seen. I was flabbergasted that people actually thought it was good. The main actor is absolute shit.
>>
File: rollo.jpg (164 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
rollo.jpg
164 KB, 1280x720
>>71214796

>with the Normans

I think you mean Normies but top kek posting the first Norman in a Norman thread
>>
>>71212710
Is that faggy numale hairdo historically accurate?
>>
>>71214810

>The main actor is absolute understated canny wiles

fify
>>
File: 1466492627449.gif (933 KB, 343x284) Image search: [Google]
1466492627449.gif
933 KB, 343x284
>>71214810
>>
>>71212710
>better
>bunch of traitorous faggots sailing back and forth playing backstabber whack-a-mole

I dropped it around season 3. It got way too repetitive and the fucking around became predictable.
>>
>>71212770

hey thanks for contributing to the downfall
>>
>>71214839
Tyrone is a better actor than the Vikings man
>>
>>71212821
>Rome not the GOAT

Into the trash nigger
>>
>>71213134
>Why are you trying so hard to defend

literally tumblr tier arguing
>>
>>71213455
Your definition of feminism seems very contrived and convenient for your argument

>Things I like are good
>Things I don't like are bad
>>
>>71214796
Sorry, m8 but I tried Vikings and didn't like it so I'm in no way a fan. I'm just laughing at the fact that you're offended by the fact that people point out how utter fucking shit GoT is.
>>
File: 1415340386695.jpg (408 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
1415340386695.jpg
408 KB, 2560x1600
>>71214762
vikings is a poor fag's GOT mate, stop laughing at yourself it's pathetic
>>
I wish there was a /tvg/ so people could talk about shows they like without people chimping out on them

If you hate vikings so much why are you spending your time talking about it?
>>
File: 1440225456044.gif (456 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
1440225456044.gif
456 KB, 256x192
>>71215002
trying this hard
>>
>>71215036
your tears are delicious, bitch-boy.
>>
>>71214693
Rollo's only plot armor is real history :^)
>>
>>71214709
I'd rather be 15 than a mid twenty virgin that can't articulate himself better than a 12 year old.
>>
>>71212843

First season of rome was lit nigga
>>
>>71212739
s1 and 2 are good then I think it takes a dive. I cant remember them that well but the last season was shit for sure.
>>
>>71215378
Are you saying it gets even worse? lmao
>>
>>71212902
Literally the lowest point of the show.
>>
File: 1453341980885.webm (710 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1453341980885.webm
710 KB, 480x480
>>71214793
>Is there a word for an Ascended Cuck like Aethelwulf?
Christian.
>>
>>71215027
if you need a safe space you could always go to reddit
>>
>>71215419
I guess I dont remember s1 and s2 that well, but I think they were mediocre but entertaining, like black sails. s3 and s4 were a lot more boring.
>>
>>71212902
>muh warrior women
>big fucking V's on their shield
what did they mean by this
>>
>>71215520
A safe place?

Are you that retarded that you think arguing with people over personal tastes and opinions is actually worthwhile?
>>
>>71215546
Upside down penis
>>
>>71215720
you sound like a faggot
>>
>>71215784
you have an odd shaped penis
>>
>>71214793
yeah, DILF.
>>
File: curb2.jpg (19 KB, 294x294) Image search: [Google]
curb2.jpg
19 KB, 294x294
>>71215810
No, you have a big vagina
>>
>>71216052
for you
>>
File: 020_372x500.jpg (31 KB, 372x500) Image search: [Google]
020_372x500.jpg
31 KB, 372x500
HOLY fuck it's airing next month already? Nigga i thought i had to wait until fall actually. Thank the based gods.
>>
>>71215012
Bend over, slave.
>>
>>71216182
Can't wait for the snake pit
>>
>>71212756
>as a Norwegian
>implying your shit-tier country and """"culture"""" is somehow relevant

Fucking Scandinavian cuck faggot.
>>
File: tumblr_mk8vh7SRv91r1928to1_500.jpg (40 KB, 355x325) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mk8vh7SRv91r1928to1_500.jpg
40 KB, 355x325
>>71216628
>>71216628
Scandinavians are literally the master race. It is the jews who have subjugated and subsequently cucked them. However this does not mean that the inherent god-given superiority of the nordish race is diminished because of it - On the contrary, it is merely being supressed. Below this surface however, the great white collective unconscious is constantly yearning to break free from its ZOG-imposed bonds so that hyperborean nietzschean man may rise up once more and make the planet great again.
>>
>>71216628
shut the fuck up, Norway is toptier, this is coming from a swede. If our culture isn't relevant then why do you amerifats keep making movies, tv and video games about it? And before you call me a cuck, amerifats are the biggest consumers of interracial and cuckold porn, closely followed by the british.
>>
>>71217219
burgers make movies and tv shows of every culture because they have none their own you dumb cuck
>>
File: S04E07-00001.jpg (203 KB, 1280x738) Image search: [Google]
S04E07-00001.jpg
203 KB, 1280x738
Vikings has seriously gone to shit with this season.

They know they’ve got viewers hooked, so now HyStry Channel no longer give a fuck about how cheep it looks or how stupid the show is, it’s all about tossing out the occasional “shocking” scene or cliffhanger to insure viewers will come back next week.
>>
>>71217219

Swedes are confirmed cucks tho
>>
Rome >>>> GoT > Vikings > The Tudors > Spartacus
>>
>>71216713
>mfw self proclaimed master races somehow keep getting subjugated by lesser races
>>
All of the characters are GOAT except for Ragnar and Hilda.
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.