[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New details on Star Trek series
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 223
Thread images: 42
File: Clp5LuYWEAQPsnD.jpg (115 KB, 1089x689) Image search: [Google]
Clp5LuYWEAQPsnD.jpg
115 KB, 1089x689
http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/06/bryan-fuller-shares-new-star-trek-2017-details/

>first season will be 13 episodes
>the arc for the first season is entirely planned out
>one story over 13 episodes
>shooting begins in September and probably goes through March
>runtime for each episode is flexible because it is streaming
>Fuller thinks "the progressive audience that loves Star Trek will be happy that were continuing that tradition."
>Because the show is not subject to network broadcast standards and practices, they can do more.
>"…we want to carry on what Star Trek does best, which is being progressive. So It's fascinating to look at all of these roles through a colorblind prism and a gender-blind prism, so that's exciting."

Didn't the SJWs tell him that being colorblind is wrong? Guess not! SJWs BTFO in new Star Trek. You heard it here first.
>>
File: race.png (366 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
race.png
366 KB, 640x480
The regressive left is really going to get their shit kicked in.
>>
>>71200957
Reminder that Sisko was just a man, not a 'black" man.
except in those 2 episodes where he was like muh racism
>>
So it's established that the new series is serialized, as people were expecting.
No confirmation on the rumors of a seasonal anthology
Conformation that they are going to bash people over the head with the progressive agenda

>because we’re CBS All Access, we’re not subject to network broadcast standards and practices. It will likely affect us more in terms of what we can do graphically,
Hmm, this could have interesting consequences
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 505x291) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 505x291
>>71200957
>>"…we want to carry on what Star Trek does best, which is being progressive. So It's fascinating to look at all of these roles through a colorblind prism and a gender-blind prism, so that's exciting."

Oh Jesus Christ no.....
>>
>inb4 people complain about sjws while watching it even though a darkie kissed a whitey in the 60s in this franchise
>>
>>71201120
is it happening, are people gonna start pretending Star Trek isn't built on being socially progressive?
>>
>>71201165
No of course not. But it's all about delivery. Star Trek succeeded because it's progressive ideas were subtle.

The current trend in TV is to bash you over the head with them with a sledgehammer, so I'm not exactly optimistic.
>>
>>71201298
>Star Trek succeeded because it's progressive ideas were subtle.
eh, kinda.

I don't think you fully appreciate just how big of a deal kirk kissing uhura was
>>
File: Deep-Space-Nine-Benny.jpg (142 KB, 628x394) Image search: [Google]
Deep-Space-Nine-Benny.jpg
142 KB, 628x394
>>71201298

haha that's such bullshit
>>
>>71200957
>transgendered captain
dropped
>>
>>71201107
>Conformation that they are going to bash people over the head with the progressive agenda

It's Star Trek, mang. Bashing people over the head with progressive agenda is something it's been doing for fifty years.
>>
>white male captain

You know this will haptain
>>
File: draper.jpg (32 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
draper.jpg
32 KB, 413x395
>>71201298
>>71201165
>>71201120
>>71201014
>>71200957
>>71201348
You know nostalgia is powerful when /pol/tards look back fondly on a show about communism working and ushering in a utopia for future humanity.
>>
>>71201298
This, the progressive undertones in Star Trek are built around equality, not shit like 'help im being oppressed' and white guilt.

In Star Trek, equality is a matter of course -- it's expected, it's just a foundation of Federation society and they don't need to beat you over the fucking head with it. When Kirk kissed Uhura, it didn't feel forced and it didn't feel like they were going out of their way to make some kind of political statement -- it was just a natural turn of the storyline that treated her like any other female character on the show might be treated.

That's the kind of liberal shit I can get behind, not all this sledgehammer regressive schlock we see today.
>>
>>71201351
Judging by reboots like that 6 episode X-Files miniseries, the new version of 'progressive ideas' is going to be an episode about a character called 'Domhnal Krump' and how evil he is
Very, very rarely did DS9 feel preachy with its progressivism. That episode got a bit too into it, but it made up for it with a great atmosphere and creative use of characters. IMO the worst it ever got was the episode about unions, and even that wasn't so bad
>>
File: WMAFx.jpg (938 KB, 1802x1334) Image search: [Google]
WMAFx.jpg
938 KB, 1802x1334
>>71201457
You're only saying that because you didn't live in that time and realize how "forced" your counterparts of that era accused it of being.

And also because it seems less "forced" for you when it's a white man kissing a black woman. The other way around and you get triggered because it's no longer one of your own taking a woman of another race, it's one of "them" taking "your" woman.

The cognitive dissonance with you turds is amazing.
>>
>>71201457
Exactly this.

I hate the regressive left but I love Star Trek. Just give us good characters and good stories.

When you call attention to issues you trivialize them. You turn them into comedy.
>>
>>71201072
It wasn't "muh" racism; it was "yo" racism.
>>
>>71201657
>translation: just make them white guys like i remember

The fact is that if they gave you a good story and good characters but they happened to be nonwhite or women, you'd lose your shit because you'd still accuse it of having an agenda.
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 528x544) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 528x544
"Commander, tell me about your sexual organs."
>>
>>71201435
In fairness, most of Star Trek did do it in a more palatable way, but there's one glaring exception:
Voyager.

A lot of the hatred of that show came from trying to hamfistedly force progressivism.
>>
>>71201646
>And also because it seems less "forced" for you when it's a white man kissing a black woman. The other way around and you get triggered because it's no longer one of your own taking a woman of another race, it's one of "them" taking "your" woman.
You're projecting a bit there, my friend. What about my post would lead you to believe that I would be triggered by a black dude kissing a white girl if it was a natural progression of an episode's storyline?

The Kirk and Uhura thing may've been 'forced' behind the scenes with the intention of making a political statement, but it was well-written and it didn't feel forced and that's ultimately all that matters. There's nothing wrong with having an agenda as long as it doesn't overpower the storyline and uses enough subtlety to refrain from being a distraction.

You're awfully eager to accuse me of something that fits conveniently into your own monochromatic view for the sake of getting into an argument on the internet. Look for your entertainment somewhere else because I'm going to bed.

Progressive or even 'regressive' writing is fine if it doesn't fall neatly into the hate-sphere of tumblr vs. /pol/ ideology. There is nothing interesting about two polar-opposite yet nearly identical points of view throwing shit at each other.
>>
The reason why Star Trek's progressive values aren't a problem is because the show isn't about everyone being equal to each other, it's about the freedom to BE equals. When faced with beings that are far more intelligent and powerful than humans will ever be, they argue that they deserve to live because of their potential to become equals with them. When they see younger civilizations, they keep track of them and monitor them, so that they too can become equals.

Star Trek may have progressive views, but that's because the most progressive view of all is that every single sentient creature should be free to be and become whoever they want to be.
>>
>one story over 13 episodes
>Fuller thinks "the progressive audience that loves Star Trek will be happy that were continuing that tradition."
>"…we want to carry on what Star Trek does best, which is being progressive. So It's fascinating to look at all of these roles through a colorblind prism and a gender-blind prism, so that's exciting."

ABANDON SHIP
>>
>>71201298

As subtle as a brick to the face. Star Trek's messages were bold, in your face, and impossible to ignore. Sometimes they were downright hamfisted to the point of becoming comical, as in Let That Be Your Last Battlefield. Kirk's impassioned defense of a woman's rights and the need of availability of contraception in The Mark of Gideon would be impressive if it aired today, let alone 47 years ago. It was NOT a subtle show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdsbuJfMpr0
>>
File: Clraz72WYAE4U_h.jpg (25 KB, 734x281) Image search: [Google]
Clraz72WYAE4U_h.jpg
25 KB, 734x281
>>71201107
It's not an anthology.

https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/746149278121336832
>>
File: S6wrN.png (314 KB, 1001x422) Image search: [Google]
S6wrN.png
314 KB, 1001x422
>>71201432

>asian female at the conn
>>
>>71201933
>didn't feel forced and that's ultimately all that matters. There's nothing wrong with having an agenda as long as it doesn't overpower the storyline and uses enough subtlety to refrain from being a distraction.

Basically you're saying it wasn't forced because it was made back then.

And that anything made today is forced just because "of course the SJWs are pushing an agenda!"

It feels forced to you now because you simply see everything through that lens and it's impossible for you to see anything else.
>>
File: 1440536295480.png (2 MB, 1916x969) Image search: [Google]
1440536295480.png
2 MB, 1916x969
>>71200957
Because this sort of format is working so well for Supergirl.
>>
>>71200957
God fucking dammit.

I want good scifi, not liberal propaganda. Why does ever writer out there want to fuck up a good thing by including a 'message'.
>>
>>71200957
>the progressive audience that loves Star Trek
You mean straight white males? Because that is the core of the Star Trek audience.
>>
>>71202215
Again, projecting. I'm saying that the way it is framed and the way it is presented makes all the difference in the world. Don't lump me in with people who shitposted about the black guy in Star Wars -- I thought he was great.

/tv/ and 4chan in general is not a monolith. There are a range of varied opinions among its users, regardless of what is convenient for you to believed.

Progressivism in television and film only feels forced if it is poorly written, poorly presented, and entirely lacks artistic vision or merit.
>>
>>71201771
What?

I assume they'll be women and minorities. I just want to see them as full fleshed humans and not as flawless propaghanda sticks.
>>
>>71202318

maybe it'll be the type of progressive thinking that regressive left types hate, like color blindness.

like in ds9 the only time they even mentioned ben was different from the others was when he was in a period of human history where it was relevant at all.
>>
>>71201120
I can see it now. The war for equal rights for gays was won.

Next is the war for acceptance of trans. First episode.

>Captain, this alien has the right to decide it's gender.
>But doctor, surly it is immoral to mutilate it by cutting off its verentulian sac
>No Captain, what would be immoral is if we were to play God and tell this alian what it can or cannot be.
>Yes doctor, I see the error of my ways now! Cut that sac!
>>
>>71202169
>asian female at the conn
Was being at the conn part of your plan?
>>
>>71202329
You're using words like "projecting" like a shield but it isn't. Star Trek's "progressive" themes were always hamfisted, even more so than most shows today. You just gave it a pass because you were young and didn't look at everything cynically.
>>
>>71202434
Actually no, there was an episode where Sisko got triggered by a holo program that took place before the Civil Rights Era.

It was the most awkward, in-your-face shit ever. To this day it amazes me that you idiots give that shit a pass.
>>
>>71202111
this. Trek has always been aggressively liberal from its conception. the difference is that now liberals have run out of causes causes and are pushing all kinds of weird shit, so it makes people viscerally uncomfortable unless they're in close alignment with the progressive worldview
>>
>>71202457
Jadzia Dax was literally a fucking tranny and Odo was genderfluid.

Do you people seriously not know shit about Star Trek?
>>
>>71202465
>Was being at the conn part of your plan?
Of course!
>>
>>71202169
Troy was at the conn for that movie.
>>
>>71202537
It was a single episode, it's not really that hard to overlook when the rest of the series is fine about it.
>>
>the borg didn't' assimilate any black humans

what were they tryign to say?
>>
>>71202556
This too.

SJWs are not really progressive though.

-they are - anti-standards
- anti-logic
- ironically quite racist
>>
All I want to know is if its set in the current movie universe or not
>>
File: 1286886819357.jpg (49 KB, 428x410) Image search: [Google]
1286886819357.jpg
49 KB, 428x410
>>71202647
Pffahaahahahah bullshit.

If even one episode today of a series was that hamfisted, everyone here would say it jumped the shark and went full tumblr and immediately stop watching.
>>
Reminder that the same neckbeards crying that "SJWs ruined Star Trek" would be flipping their diabetic shits over the interracial kiss in the original series if they were around then.
>>
>>71202563
>Jadzia Dax was literally a fucking tranny
Wrong, Dax was a slug (genderless or male or female? don't remember how they reproduced). The host was male or female depending on the hosts body.

Hardly tranny. And Odo didn't even have male or female bits, he just was like an ameba.
>>
File: 7997.jpg (26 KB, 351x400) Image search: [Google]
7997.jpg
26 KB, 351x400
>>71201435

kek
>>
>>71202808
not everyone is a child who has to dismiss something because it has some ideals you don't share.

but yeah, most people here probably are like that.
>>
>>71201435
Except the series which is almost universally agreed to have the best writing and characters in the franchise (DS9) spends a considerable amount of time poking holes in that utopian communist facade
>>
>>71202873
>implying I didn't know that Dax was actually the slug symbiote thing
>thinking that bare distinction makes the slightest bit of difference to most people

Sisko's nickname for her was Old Man.
>>
File: 1289084991794.jpg (172 KB, 591x704) Image search: [Google]
1289084991794.jpg
172 KB, 591x704
>>71202743
They're also a really tiny part of progressive movement but everyone on the right acts like they're the majority. Same with radical feminists, violent right wing extremists and so on.

Everyone wants to focus on the extremes of every side of the spectrum because they're the most easy to hate and see as a threat to one's way of life.
>>
>>71202537
>>71202808
If you actually watched the episode you are talking about, you'd realize Cassidy Yates immediately called him out for how dumb he was acting and he caved
>>
>>71202808
I only watched DS9 for the first time about a year ago and it did not bother me that much.
>>
>>71202955
>almost universally agreed
Look, because you show up in every Trek thread and pound people over the head with "DS9 IS THE BEST" doesn't make it so.
>>
>>71202996
The fact that he was acting that way at all was retarded and should've been grounds for dropping the show.

There shouldn't even be blacks in the future, they should all be beige or something.
>>
>>71202563
>Jadzia Dax was literally a fucking tranny

I think joined Trill might be rightly called agender. And definitely worthy of they/them pronouns, at any rate.
>>
>>71202955

Which means what to you exactly? That it's a /pol/ show? It's just mining the drama that comes from conflict in a seemingly perfect world.

You're delusion if you think the entire concept of Star Trek in all of its forms isn't a complete fuck you to all things that the alt-right stand for.
>>
>>71203009
Same deal with me. Lifelong conservative, I never felt bothered by Trek. At its most stupidly preachy, it went over things liberals and conservatives alike would find silly, like that VOY episode where they didn't want to use knowledge that came from a hologram of an unethical doctor

Thinking back, the central difference between Trek's progressiveness or moral lessons and the type of stuff you see today is that Trek didn't try to tell you the 'right' opinion on some current event. The closest it strayed was, fittingly, the most recent TV ever aired - the end of ENT with its whole 'Terra Prima' arc which was an obvious metaphor for post-9/11 xenophobia.

What people are worried about is something like if they shoehorned in an arc about phaser rights in the Federation constitution, and every pro-phaser character was a dumb racist hick.
>>
File: 2017-crews.jpg (120 KB, 1280x738) Image search: [Google]
2017-crews.jpg
120 KB, 1280x738
>>71200957
UPDATE

http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/06/bryan-fuller-shoots-down-two-star-trek-2017-rumors/

>Brian Fuller shoots down claims that new Star Trek will be an anthology, calls it "inaccurate"
>Will NOT take place between Star Trek VI and Star Trek TNG.
>There is some truth to rumors he's seen, though.
>He says he thinks we will see "lots of crews" because the series will be able to explore more things in depth that would be passed by in a single episode.
>Will "eventually" revisit already existing characters.
>>
File: kermit sad.jpg (54 KB, 995x552) Image search: [Google]
kermit sad.jpg
54 KB, 995x552
>>71203184

I'm worried about some shoehorned Cardassian/Romulan immigration bullshit. As though the Federation is at all analogous to the EU.
>>
>>71202978
>thinking that bare distinction makes the slightest bit of difference to most people
How couldn't it? One thing is entirely natural. The other involves self mutilation.

You may as well support people if they chose to cut off their arms and legs for no reason other than they self identify as a quadriplegic.
>>
>>71203248

So does it take place post-Nemesis / Voyager then?
>>
>>71203184
Actually they got a lot of shit wrong just from a sci-fi perspective.

Several times they talked about cosmic plans or evolution being a set path that any scientist will tell you is unbelievably stupid.

Like when they decided to let an entire race die because they thought evolution would eventually make another race dominant on that planet.

That's so stupid on so many levels.
>>
File: dexter's_dad.jpg (7 KB, 154x154) Image search: [Google]
dexter's_dad.jpg
7 KB, 154x154
>>71203325
>evolution being a set path

Voyager thought this and is the worst Trek imo.
>>
>>71202148
The rumor is "seasonal anthology", not "episodic anthology".

We know it's not an episodic anthology, but a seasonal anthology is still unconfirmed/undenied.
>>
>>71203308
The thing to remember is that it takes place in the new JJ Movie verse, so saying that it takes place on any point in the old timeline is inaccurate and could be reason for the correction. He may just be indicating that while the stardates may match up, it does not mean it takes place at the same/before/after time.
>>
>>71203411
>The thing to remember is that it takes place in the new JJ Movie verse
Has this been confirmed?
>>
File: im out.gif (787 KB, 240x174) Image search: [Google]
im out.gif
787 KB, 240x174
>>71203411
Please tell me you're joking and or unconfirmed.
>>
Just my opinion...

Most of the writing in the older shows was good enough that the main cast, diverse and progressive as they were, never felt hamfisted. Equality was the name of the game. Generally it was implicit, and didn't need to be reinforced or spoken about.

There were occasionally awkward episodes or scenes where shit was badly handled and felt very preachy. It was never that big of an issue for me though. It mostly just felt like a case of bad plot writing (of which there was a fairly decent amount even without accounting for what we're talking about), instead of an agenda being drive

My concern is that this new series won't have that implicit equality. That it will be very explicit. That the tone of a lot of the show will be preachy and judgemental. Fuller talking up the progressiveness so much concerns me, because it makes me think that it's going to be a very obvious and blatant focus of the show. Personally, all I want is cool space adventures with some OK special effects, some well written and well acted characters, with some great story arcs, and not to feel like the show is judging or speaking down to me or others.
>>
>>71203017
I know that you WANT really really really badly for DS9 to be unpopular here, but the polls show that this isn't the case.
>>
>>71202981
Good point.

But SJWs have more power now because they complain so loudly that Hollywood (which is already liberal) is always forced to give in.
>>
>Captain Wesley Crusher
>>
>>71203411

Please god no
>>
>>71200957
>we want to carry on what Star Trek does best, which is being progressive
ruined before it started

>UNDERAGED
you faggots KNOW these imbeciles will take it too far and make a shit hole of a universe. its not gonna tackle social issues or show how above this shit the future is. theyre gonna shoehorn this shit hard and do shit like announce how many gay, tranny characters will appear to generate "hype"
>>
>>71202978
>Sisko's nickname for her was Old Man.

Because he's still talking to Curzon rather than Jadzia. Jadzia was never a man (so far as I know). Dax has been both male and female. Jadzia Dax probably doesn't care very much whether they're male or female and lets Sisko have his pet name for them.
>>
>>71203533
>here
>universally

Also
>implying that I dislike DS9
>>
>>71203717
I fucking get that. It literally does not matter though because that distinction does not and did not matter to the general population
>>
>>71203685
To be perfectly honest I always thought it was kind of unnatural how normal (by today's standards) the characters usually were in Trek series so I wouldn't mind some characters like that as long as they weren't just token "look how progressive and inclusive we are" characters and actually were written well. Granted there's probably not much chance that'll happen, but I'm not opposed to the idea at least.
>>
>>71201351
That was not preachy. That shit was real.

And it was the time fucking period, in our past, not the fictional future.

I don't have much hope for this unless Fuller is giving the old misleading wink wink trick.
>>
File: Star Trek 2017 - JJexit.jpg (225 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Star Trek 2017 - JJexit.jpg
225 KB, 1000x1000
>>71203411
They removed all traces of JJ from the office.

They don't like JJ.

They aren't going with JJ.
>>
>>71201457
Yes exactly.

Progressive is one thing. Regressive oppression Olympics bullshit is another. I really hope this show is more of the former than the latter. You know what was so great about Janeway? The fact that she didn't spend every second episode saying "Well, if a MAN can do it so can I!" or some shit.

And haha to all the fags in this thread who are saying "Boy, you didn't know what it was like back then when Kirk and Uhura kissed". Unless you're 50+, then you don't fucking know either. And if you are over 50, then holy shit get the fuck off of 4chan.
>>
>>71203130
But Star Trek actually has standards. It admits that some races are smarter and that some races are stronger. There is a hierarchy and flawed three-dimensional characters.

Nu-"Liberalism" will basically retcon the series and say the whole federation is sexist and racist and "fuck the other 6 shows, and 13 movies." You know this will happen.

It's true what Anon said, that "Libs" were running out of causes. So they make shit up.
>>
>>71203526
The writing was terrible in oldTrek. the preachiness was constant. the reason it doesnt seem as bad is because:

1) The taboos and social issues they tackled aren't controversial anymore
2) The old shows were so silly and hamfisted that their hamfisted moralizing didn't stand out from the rest of the silliness
3)progressive issues back then were tackled from the perspective of liberals trying to win people over and convince you that their views are correct. now liberal issues are pushed with an air of "we won the culture war, now you recalcitrant rednecks are going to watch these two trannies kiss on your beloved childhood nostalgia show and you're going to like it"
>>
>>71203824
>look how progressive and inclusive we are
thats exactly whats going to happen. this is whats happening to western video games

>bioware just revealed another gay character for dragon age
>ubisoft have announced another transexual character for assassins creed
>ea gave sims 4 a gender slider and removed male and female options
>more homosexual romance options for mass effect
it can never be part of the story. its always hamfisted and shoved in for diversity points. like what film and television is doing with interracial couples, interracial meaning black and white because other races dont exist. they dont make games anymore, they make quotas to fill. same will happen to this show
>>
The only reason to be "progressive" now is to shove it right in the face of the regressive left and tell them to eat shit.
>>
File: 1346035760848.png (38 KB, 137x174) Image search: [Google]
1346035760848.png
38 KB, 137x174
>>71203248
>>He says he thinks we will see "lots of crews" because the series will be able to explore more things in depth that would be passed by in a single episode.
That... actually would be okay with me.

It'd be kind of cool to see a Trek series follow multiple crews or even multiple races with their own story arcs and agendas ala Game of Thrones.

Like imagine the payoff of seeing a Federation crew and a Klingon crew we've been following for a season or two meeting in battle - not knowing which crew would be left standing at the end of the episode. Or maybe seeing one Federation crew start breaking regulations and crossing lines in the name of their mission, and another of the ships being followed gets sent after them. Imagine seeing wars and intergalactic political intrigue unfold from a dozen different viewpoints.

... as exciting as that prospect is, I'm not remotely thrilled by the prospect of shoehorning in the latest politically correct progressive fads, which will no doubt be shoehorned into the show with all the subtlety and wit of a "very special episode" on a shitty sitcom. Oh yeah, I can't wait for the thinly veiled Black Lives Matter commentary where Ensign Someguy shoots an adolescent alien and the rest of the crew suddenly realize he's a big xenophobe... or the transgender episode where Chief Medical Officer WhoGivesAFuck misgenders the transitioning captain and xe gets triggered over it.
>>
>>71203887

Why is there a sticker of the same ship just bigger?
>>
>>71203980
I agree that it's unlikely to be handled with any sort of grace, but I don't agree that it can never be part of the story. People don't really know how to do it yet but that doesn't mean they never will.
>>
File: Kelvin Timeline.png (48 KB, 600x315) Image search: [Google]
Kelvin Timeline.png
48 KB, 600x315
>>71204056
Bottom left is the Kelvin Timeline Enterprise.
>>
>>71204072
They start by removing the stick out of their arse, and then underselling the specific attribute instead of making it their prime identifying attribute.
>>
File: subtle.jpg (21 KB, 490x369) Image search: [Google]
subtle.jpg
21 KB, 490x369
>>71201298
>>
>>71203980
That's all brands are now a days .....just huge quota machines
>>
>>71203910
Don't make me get out the baby pictures, son.
>>
>MtF actor playing the Commanding Officer
>FtM actor playing the Executive Officer
>the CO is a J'naii
>the XO is a Trill
>every episode begins with the Captain making the same request:
>"Commander, tell me about your sexual organs."
Am I the only person who would be fine with this progressive casting?
>>
>>71203922

I don't even know where to start with this truckload of bullshit
>>
File: 1402861253503.jpg (24 KB, 400x397) Image search: [Google]
1402861253503.jpg
24 KB, 400x397
>>71204216
Would watch.
>>
>>71203922
>It admits that some races are smarter and that some races are stronger.

Vulcans are canonically smarter, stronger, faster, and better than humans in practically every way, but humans are still presented as their equals. Somehow.
>>
>>71204321
Humans win through numbers and being less averse to risk.
>>
>>71204216
As long as the traps are qt

>>71204321
Worst example of this is the baseball episode
>we lost but w-we won anyways because we had fun! y-you're mad!
>>
>>71204321
humans bridge the gap with their incontinent emotions and promiscuous sex
>>
>>71204072
i said it can never be part of the story because they never make it part of the story. all that shit is never a part of the story. the last of us had a gay character. he was just there. you find out hes gay because he has gay porn. its not in your face. it wasnt advertised. it wasnt really part of the story but it also wasnt his whole character. later on they started shilling the guy for being gay and ruined what they did. now its different. now they do big announcements about gay or tranny characters or gay options or girl power shit.

after that trash on video games i turn to movies and tv and i get slapped with black dicks. only books are safe
>>
>>71204436
>we lost but w-we won anyways because we had fun! y-you're mad!

literally 4chan.
>>
>>71204436
It's a metaphor for the war.
>they can't beat the Dominion unless they change the rules
>>
>>71204457
>after that trash on video games i turn to movies and tv and i get slapped with black dicks.
Don't lie anon, we know you love it.
>>
>>71204441
>humans bridge the gap with their incontinent emotions and promiscuous sex

Vulcans have those too, they just culturally suppress them.
>>
>>71203922
Do you forget how they literally didn't?
>Worf, klingon, sensible starfleet officer just like his white... I mean human compatriots
>Nog, ferengi, sensible starfleet officer just like his non-jewish... I mean human compatriots
and so on and so forth
>>
File: 1405133967305.jpg (32 KB, 245x309) Image search: [Google]
1405133967305.jpg
32 KB, 245x309
>>71201773
They are small, curved and shiny
>>
>>71203934
This, Kirk went off on some morality speach almost every episode.
>>
>>71204477
>they can't beat the Dominion unless they change the rules
I vaguely remembering arguing with you over this a few months ago, but I can't recall the exact disagreement
>>
>>71204597
Name one person in this thread that you haven't argued with.
>>
File: The USS Firsties.jpg (369 KB, 1280x1000) Image search: [Google]
The USS Firsties.jpg
369 KB, 1280x1000
>>71204548
Worf+Nog series WHEN?
>>
>>71204512
which is why they lose. only by unleashing your id can your creative energies flow freely and allow you to reach your maximum potential. Vulcans were stand-ins for hard nosed conservative dad types whose stuffiness the baby boomers were rebelling against
>>
>>71201435
>communism

Wrong. The shows never depicted communism because communism involves the use of money/currency in an economy. In Star Trek future currency does not exist.
>>
>>71204321
You forget that humans have their humanity!!!!

Which for some reason is rare and the ultimate weapon in 9/10 scifi shows. Frankly I find it dumb if not just plain redundant. Like fucking try something new already.
>>
>>71204321
>wulcans are canonically smarter, stronger, faster, and better than humans in practically every way, but humans are still presented as their equals
they control their emotions and stifle their creativity. they were just cruising around on their starship impalas until humans showed up and created a massive network of planets and resources and unified a lot of the galaxy

>>71204708
>In Star Trek future currency does not exist
yes it does. and no im not talking about latinum
>>
File: 1460216680981.jpg (418 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1460216680981.jpg
418 KB, 600x600
Stream?

Where? On netflix? It's a "netflix original" now?
>>
>>71204772
CBS's streaming service.
>>
>>71200957
>>71200957
I'm almost always for serialized drama but with Star Trek I really like the adventure-of-the-week episodes I hope the premier sets up an over arching plot, the finale concludes it (god knows Fuller can do GOAT season finales) but the other 11 eps have it sprinkled in but mainly missions like what Burn Notice set out to do before fucking it up
>>
>>71204754
>yes it does. and no im not talking about latinum
This

Star trek has rations, they are mentioned on many occasions. Housing rations, transporter rations, etc. That is a form of currency in and of itself.
>>
>>71204163
this is pretty much universally considered one of the weaker episodes of TOS.
>>
>>71204828
>transporter rations,
Transporter rations are only mentioned in the context of Starfleet Academy.

It makes sense that cadets would have their movements restricted while in the "basic training" phase.
>>
>>71204814

>not netflix

NOPE

will torrent the fuck out of it then. There is no CBS here in my country.
>>
>>71204708
You are right that the show never depicted communism, but for the wrong reason. It is not a matter of them 'not having money', but a matter of the fact that technology has brought humanity to be a 'post-scarcity society' where there is no 'supply' that needs to be redistributed in any sort of capitalist/socialist/communist scheme. These labels simply don't apply when you have effectively infinite basic resources, easy-access education, and have cured all mental illness and 99% of diseases
>>
>>71205021
This is what I meant to articulate. You said it well.

The show isn't based on communism, is my point.
>>
>>71204663

didn't nog died?
>>
>>71204992
Outside of the US it will air on regular television.
>>
>>71205021
>post scarcity economy
is what you're looking for -- basically almost no one needs to want for at the very least basic necessities.
>>
>>71205218
>regular television

disgusting
>>
>>71205179
Karl Urban gave him a pill.
>>
>>71205271
yeah, i remember hearing he was in pretty poor health for a while.
>>
I agree with the old liberal values that star trek had but the left has been so twisted lately that i fear it will adversely effect the quality of this new series.
>>
>>71204457
Are you me?

Because its hard to not be smacked by this blunt crap in one media or another. I find some sort of escapism, and then it follows me.

Like you said, books for now, are safe, and thank god its one of the mediums that has plenty to have in your "backlog" since literature has been going on for centuries/millennia.

Next fucking Dresden book when, Jim? WHEN?! It's almost two years now! Two years, another 2 books I think, and then your goddamn finale trilogy you planned! Don't you die on me!
>>
>>71205613
The first book in his new trilogy is bretty good as well famalam.
>>
>>71205709
I should check it out. Thanks for the tip. I've only read the first two books of his fantasy series years ago and they didn't do much for me.
>>
>>71204820
Yeah I think for Star Trek this would be best, but Fuller does serialized TV great, even his comedies so I'm game for anything desu
>>
Recommend me some right-wing/conservative science fiction.
>>
>>71206476
Start your own thread, derailer.
>>
>>71206476
You'll get much better results on /lit/
Right wing cinematic scifi is a very small niche
>>
>>71202981
Silent majorities are irrelevant. For all intents and purposes, the progressive left is now Tumblr.
>>
>>71206476
Gattaca
>>
>>71207958
And is it just me or is it the more moderate right that is now representing the conservatives?
>>
>>71208020
The right is having an identity crisis right now. On the one hand you have people who are more-or-less closet white nationalists or reactionaries finding more people willing to listen to them than ever before and public opinion inching slowly but surely in their direction but on the other hand you have the establishment - people who are actually in positions of power, as opposed to running a blog - who are convinced that the former group are fringe rabble-rousers whose influence will wane shortly and then it's back to being democrats on a 15-year delay, as usual. The latter group is in it for themselves, the former group hates them for that and the feeling is mutual.
>>
>>71201107
I think it won't.

Assuming CBS are not fucktards, there will be a push to get the new Trek on TV, which means that most likely you'll see two different versions of the show where you have the unrated streaming version and the PG/TV-14 at most version that runs on TV.
>>
File: 1449985267450.jpg (31 KB, 475x363) Image search: [Google]
1449985267450.jpg
31 KB, 475x363
>>71201773
Okay, here goes..
So basically I have a penis and a scrotum holding two ovular balls called testes.
Now these testes connect to what's known as the prostate gland through a duct called the vas deferens.
Stay with me, okay? Now here, in the prostate, a fluid is secreted and expelled with a fertilizer, so to speak, called sperm.
They combine to form a mixture excretion called semen.
When in a state of sexual arousal, the penis, that long but limp shaft you see here, hardens via a balloon effect that increases the flow of blood within it.
As the intercourse of my species reaches it's "critical state", the prostate expels the semen through a duct that leads to the urethral opening, or the end of my penis, and expels it out into our female's vagina.
I could show you how this actualized if you are interested.
>>
>>71200957
>shooting begins in September and probably goes through March

seven months for 13 eps? shiiit.
>>
>>71208423
It'll be interesting to see how that's handled. I think that it could add a lot of integrity, personally; Klingons would probably seem a lot more threatening if they weren't forced to crib 90% of their moves from the Three Stooges in order to avoid actual violence and as it currently stands Starfleet crews swear less than any other sailors in recorded history.
>>
based fuller will save this franchise.

i hope he includes some of the old actors,some of them could REALLY use the work.
>>
>>71208857
JEFFREY COMBS, ANDREW ROBINSON, MARK ALAIMO AND J. G. HERZLER IN THE MAIN CAST

MAKE IT HAPPEN
>>
>>71203569
Worse than Genderfluid black midget who also has space AIDS
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (8 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
8 KB, 480x360
>>71208888
>Bryan, why are we filming all of my scenes first?
>>
Star Trek has always been about social progressivism. The last two captains were a black man and a woman.
>>
>>71208952
>Am I doing this right, Bryan?
>Don't worry, Marc, you're doing literally nothing wrong.
>I've heard that lie before, Bryan. ;_;
>>
File: Jolene Blalock.jpg (114 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
Jolene Blalock.jpg
114 KB, 1200x1200
>>71208952
>Bryan, why are we filming all of my scenes first? I'm only 41 years young!
>>
Thank you Brexit for helping make Star Trek real.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Irish_Unification_of_2024
>>
File: 1448262268139.jpg (45 KB, 404x644) Image search: [Google]
1448262268139.jpg
45 KB, 404x644
>>71201432
hahahaha
>>
The problem is that "progressive" doesn't mean the same thing that it did when TOS or TNG came out.

Back then, it meant that you want humanity to improve and reach it's full potential.

Now, it means that you're as far left as possible.
>>
>>71209777
Jackpot post is just echoing every sane person's inner monologue.
>>
>>71209294
WHAT THE FUCK MAN WHAT THE FUCK FUCK FUCK
>>
File: Sure thing, Chink.jpg (8 KB, 265x250) Image search: [Google]
Sure thing, Chink.jpg
8 KB, 265x250
>>71201432

>implying we're not going to get a strong womyn of color leading crew

Possibly even a lesbian for good measure.

We'll get a gay XO, probably some kind of alien who'll be a stand-in for your everyday conservative. Wouldn't be shocked by a transgender character.

>no cute green or blue twinks though

We'll get at least one gay dude and he'll be as inoffensively gruff as any other gay dude in a mainstream Hollywood show.
>>
>>71209294
i wish i had a boat
>>
>Tell me about your sexual organs

>That's none of your business you disgusting pig cis shit
>>
>>71209294
WHY JOLENE WHY
>>
File: 1439443525003.jpg (46 KB, 484x439) Image search: [Google]
1439443525003.jpg
46 KB, 484x439
>>71209294
Someone just won't be happy until they're permanently mutilated.
>>
>>71201457
>When Kirk kissed Uhura, it didn't feel forced

Kirk was literally forced to kiss Uhura by the villain in the story.
>>
>>71210145
spoken like someone whose watched literally none of fullers shows.

fucking pleb
>>
>>71210322

I've seen Pushing Daisies and Dead Like Me. I'm sure I'm just being pessimistic, since those two shows were frankly great.

But, still. I can't help but feel that this is gonna be one agenda-churning machine.

>Trek movies are schlock-y garbage
>Trek series is gonna be premier tumblr-core

It's just in my nature to be a glass half-empty kinda guy.
>>
>>71203184
spoken like a true pro-phaser dhill
>>
>>71201457
>it was just a natural turn of the storyline that treated her like any other female character on the show might be treated

You've never actually seen the episode, have you?
>>
>>71202305

Then go watch stargate or some shit you fuckwit

Star Trek has always been progressive / liberal you twat
>>
>>71210373
Be more optimistic fella,The only "bad" thing he's said so far is wanting to cast angela basset as the lead but shes a great actor so i don't see the issue.
>>
>>71209294
As the person who grabbed this originally from pinterest, then posted it in /trek/ callously, I apologize Jolene.

I know your boytoy of the week scours social media bringing you the worst so you can carve up some more, I just want you to know it was not my intention to have negativity surrounding this picture whatsoever.
>>
>>71209294
seriously tho is she sick? what the fuck has happened?
>>
>>71210494

She's looking have anorexic, half on steroids, completely unnatural and disgusting.

I can remember her season 3 catsuit and those doughey hazel eyes and pouty lips..

..this shit just destroys the past in the worst of ways.
>>
>>71201933
>The Kirk and Uhura thing may've been 'forced' behind the scenes with the intention of making a political statement, but it was well-written and it didn't feel forced and that's ultimately all that matters. There's nothing wrong with having an agenda as long as it doesn't overpower the storyline and uses enough subtlety to refrain from being a distraction.

Typical libtard making shit up when he hasn't got a clue.

Kirk was literally forced to kiss Uhura by the villain in the story. It wasn't "subtle" by any stretch of the imagination.
>>
>>71209294

she's so veiny
>>
File: ForcedKiss.jpg (27 KB, 513x342) Image search: [Google]
ForcedKiss.jpg
27 KB, 513x342
>>71201933
>The Kirk and Uhura thing may've been 'forced' behind the scenes with the intention of making a political statement, but it was well-written and it didn't feel forced

Typical libtard making shit up to disguise the fact he hasn't got a clue.

Kirk was literally forced to kiss Uhura by the villain in the story. There was no "subtlety" by any stretch of the imagination.
>>
File: kindergartencop-6_288x288[1].jpg (101 KB, 288x288) Image search: [Google]
kindergartencop-6_288x288[1].jpg
101 KB, 288x288
>>71210494
It might be a tumor.
>>
>>71210494

It's called near zero body fat.

Not healthy. She'd look a lot better if she'd eat better.
>>
>>71210523
>doughey hazel eyes
>doughey

baka
>>
>>71210896
Its also called skinny fat since there in not an ounce of muscle to hide those veins or make her skin look more opaque.
>>
>>71200957
>>one story over 13 episodes

>muh episodic content
>muh story arcs

They have completely missed the point of Star Trek.
>>
>>71210994

Muscle is all she has, my Pakled friend.
>>
File: 1466305608516.png (146 KB, 480x352) Image search: [Google]
1466305608516.png
146 KB, 480x352
How come it can't just be about making a good show?
>>
File: Andreia2[1].jpg (83 KB, 530x800) Image search: [Google]
Andreia2[1].jpg
83 KB, 530x800
>>71211061
No, she has skin, bones, and organs.

This is what muscle on top looks like.
>>
File: pepe_sisko.jpg (135 KB, 500x328) Image search: [Google]
pepe_sisko.jpg
135 KB, 500x328
Almost done with season 3 of Quark and Friends.
>just got done with a kira episode
>Dax episode next
>>
>>71200957
please let this get canned so we get another season of Hannibal
>>
http://www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-fan-film-guidelines-announced

Crazy attack on Star Trek Fandom. RIP Star Trek Continues and Axanar.
>>
>>71211139

Keep talking, and I'll keep laughing.

You obviously have no clue about how truly ignorant you are.
>>
>>71201435
There is literally nothing wrong with communism in a post scarcity economy
>>
>>71210494
Pretty much the only strange thing about that image is the vascularity, caused by a low body fat percentage and/or supplementation.

If she didn't have that disgusting shit going on and her hair was down she'd probably still look pretty damn good.
>>
>>71210772
That's his point; it felt like it was an event precipitated by in-universe events, not a hack writer inflicting his agenda in the story.
>>
>>71211239

Will you idiots ever stop falling for jew bolshevik propaganda?
>>
>>71211325

Oh please. That wasn't "his point" at all, and you know it.

You tards are the worst when it comes to making up rationalizations and doing all kinds of mental gymnastics to avoid admitting your errors, and all it does is make you look twice as stupid.
>>
>>71211185
Jesus fucking christ this is disgusting.

>1. The fan production must be less than 15 minutes for a single self-contained story, or no more than 2 segments, episodes or parts, not to exceed 30 minutes total, with no additional seasons, episodes, parts, sequels or remakes.

>2. The title of the fan production or any parts cannot include the name “Star Trek.” However, the title must contain a subtitle with the phrase: “A STAR TREK FAN PRODUCTION” in plain typeface. The fan production cannot use the term “official” in either its title or subtitle or in any marketing, promotions or social media for the fan production.

>4. If the fan production uses commercially-available Star Trek uniforms, accessories, toys and props, these items must be official merchandise and not bootleg items or imitations of such commercially available products.

>5. The fan production must be a real “fan” production, i.e., creators, actors and all other participants must be amateurs, cannot be compensated for their services, and cannot be currently or previously employed on any Star Trek series, films, production of DVDs or with any of CBS or Paramount Pictures’ licensees.
>>
>a colorblind prism and a gender-blind prism

Well isn't that what Star Trek is all about? That humanity united beyond that?
I'll take "gender blind" left any day over identity politics, "muh heritage", "muh culture appropriation" and so on
>>
File: Space_jew.jpg (108 KB, 501x585) Image search: [Google]
Space_jew.jpg
108 KB, 501x585
>>71211444

Get it, yet?
>>
>>71211574
I get the suspicion that the statement was tongue-in-cheek. Or maybe it's not and I'm just projecting my desperate hopes.
>>
>>71211609
I'll just trust Fuller on that one. Hannibal was my favorite show in years, I can tolerate more homolust if the quality is there
>>
>>71210524
Yeah, I don't think a lot of people commenting ITT have even seen Star Trek.
>>
>>71200957
>Because the show is not subject to network broadcast standards and practices
I thought it was set to air on traditional networks in countries outside of the US?

Also, I no longer want to watch this. I knew Bryan Fuller would fuck us over and never had faith in him. I can't believe Star Trek is being ruined.
>>
>>71211855

Not an argument.

See:

>>71211418

Tard.
>>
>>71211894
You have a button on intelligence. Have you considered auditing?
>>
>>71211912

Go eat a dick, moron.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (77 KB, 719x1080) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
77 KB, 719x1080
>>71211886
>I can't believe Star Trek is being ruined
>>
>>71211855
it's very obvious.
>>
>>71211972

See:

>>71211594
>>
>>71211228
I don't understand the question.

I get your insecurity, but what am I suppose to do about it?

haha
>>
>Bryan Fuller is a __________ who seeks to destabilize the already volatile social fabric that he purportedly aims to save.

That blank can be filled with a variety of words, from voluptuary to pissant to demoniac to slanderer. Each of those words accurately depicts Fuller for who he really is. He claims that cannibalism, wife-swapping, and the murder of infants and the elderly are acceptable behavior. I proclaim that he's crossed the line into post-rationalist neo-Hegelianism.

Let's get reasonable; Fuller has long been getting away with importuning grotty perverts into "progressivism". When Fuller hears anyone say that his philosophies have reached a depth of degeneracy that was virtually unknown in the past, his answer is to destroy any resistance by channeling it into ineffective paths. His goal is to create a world without history, without philosophy, without science, without reason. This is abject leftism!

Fuller should get off his high horse. I haven't yet found a reliable poll, but public sentiment is clearly overwhelmingly against him. My guess is that he's hiding something. Maybe he's hiding the fact that his efforts to compose paeans to cynicism are the reason we have so many problems today with alienation, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, and aimlessness on the part of our young people. That's just a fancy way of saying that Fuller relies heavily on “useful idiots”, that is, people who unwittingly do Fuller's dirty work for him. Without his swarms of useful idiots, Fuller would not have been able to conceal the fact that by indiscriminately assigning value to practically everything, he has made “experience” all-important. Fuller's experiences, however, are detached from any consideration of what is good or true, which means that they will almost certainly break down the industrial-technological system one day. It is time for someone to comment on Bryan Fuller's methods of interpretation. Will that someone be you?
>>
File: the-host-hd-348-e1442948321386.jpg (34 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
the-host-hd-348-e1442948321386.jpg
34 KB, 500x376
>>71202457
Hate to break it to you, but Next Gen did it back in 1992.
>>
>>71201298
>it's progressive ideas were subtle.
No, it's never been subtle.

Watch the white-black aliens vs black-white aliens episode. That's classic Star Trek being in-your-face fuck-you progressive.
>>
>tfw SJWar Trek
>>
>>71212881

Yeah but

>/fa/ as fuck uniforms

Mmmmmmmm, rub it all over my face Fuller.
>>
File: AlexanderSiddig09TIFF.jpg (261 KB, 456x631) Image search: [Google]
AlexanderSiddig09TIFF.jpg
261 KB, 456x631
>>71201072

That and I don't think they ever even mentioned Alexander Siddig's race, which was pretty cool.

If he was on Voyager they'd have given him magical Arabian artifacts that allowed him to commune with his Sudanese ancestors.
>>
>>71211239
There's literally no demand for communism in a post-scarcity society.
>>
>more than an hour between replies
wow what's going on here
>>
>>71213662
>"You're not the only shapeshifter on this station, Constable."
>turns into sand and immigrates through a locked door
Wow, what were the writers thinking?
>>
>people think trek is communism
>they do for themselves first, then society benefits in the end

does that sound like communism?
>>
>>71215662
pretty much, in effect, not in definition
>>
>>71211185
>Crazy attack on a small sect of people who care about fanfiction

ftfy, most people don't care about a bunch of dorks living out their fantasies
Thread replies: 223
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.