[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Zack Snyder's Watchmen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 246
Thread images: 35
File: image.jpg (786 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
786 KB, 1920x1200
I recently discovered the film on Netflix and instantly ordered the comic book straight after. A couple days after, I received the comic book. A week and a bit later I just finished the comic book (did one Chapter a day).

I have to say, the comic book is an absolute masterpiece. The depth, the intricacy, the characters, it was an amazing ride. And, to be quite frank, the "inter-dimensional space alien" made WAY more sense than the film's ending.

So /tv/, what was your take on the movie? And if you are also a fan of the comic, which do you prefer?
>>
I prefer the comic book, I adored the film when it came out and I was 18, but with time I have re discovered the comic book over and over again while subsequent watchings of the film left a worse impression.
It has some great parts, like the opening sequence and the funeral, but I feel like its take on the political climate and the psychology of its characters was rather shallow
Also I prefer the giant squid as well
>>
>>71191620
Is it the directors cut on Netflix? If so, it's a great adaptation.

The theatrical release cuts out a lot of character plot, I believe, that you see in the comic. Personally, I think it goes Watchmen DX > Comic > Watchmen TC
>>
>>71191620
Movie is shit, comic is GOAT, end of story.
>>
i was a huge fucking fan of the comic and i was so hype for the movie
and when it came out i went and tried to make myself love it, and it seemed to do so much right, and i even convinced myself that the changed ending was somehow better
but really, it wasn't
it didn't get the tone at all, it was a shallow glossy replica
>>
>>71191620
The movie ending is better.
>>
>>71191620
I never saw the film. I saw a trailer for it and it looked like shit. I love the comic though.
>>
>>71191817
>>71191817
Nite Owl, Silk Spectre and Ozymandias all felt very shallow and dull I'm the movie, however the comic book versions of all three are 10000x better imo.

Also, I think scenes such as Doc Manhattan's origins, Laurie realising the truth about the Comedian and Ozymandias' reveal were done way better with more impact than the film.

I was very similar to you - loved the film at first, then over time it got worse and worse.
>>
>>71191948
You're not alone, Snyder fundamentally didn't understand the comic book. So much that even by making an almost 1:1 adaptation he still managed to fuck it up.
>>
>>71191969
It doesn't make as much sense desu. I mean, wouldn't Russia still be pissed at the U.S because Doc Manhattan WAS a weapon of the U.S? yeah they wouldn't launch nukes at them, but it wouldn't end hostilities imo.
>>
>>71191620
The movie kind of misses the point of the comic book.

On the one hand, Snyder made an almost word-for-word adaptation. On the other hand, the tone is completely different. Whereas Moore's superheroes are pathetic freaks, Zack made them cool. It exemplified this "I have issues, but they make me even edgier and cooler" trope. Instead of being a plump nerd wearing WTF the Costume, Nite Owl becomes Batman. Instead of contrasting the sheer camp looks and nature of the superheroes with Cold War reality, they are tailored to fit it and stay "cool".

Alan Moore never intended for the rise of edgy superheroes. His work was supposed to deconstruct the very possibility of superheroes somehow being "cool". Zack missed the point and took Rorschach literally.
>>
The film is fucking awful. It shows that Zack Snyder didn't understand the original because there's a shit ton of lines and scenes that play out of context, which makes them completely meaningless in the film.
>>
>>71192108
yeah it's fucking retarded, the whole movie is fucking awful. this fucking board was creaming it's gapkids jeans over the soundtrack which was just about the most embarrassing thing in the world.
>>
>>71191620
>movie is a near perfect adaption of the material; a rarity in most adaptions
>changes made are largely for the better
>people still complain

>>71192072
>Snyder fundamentally didn't understand the comic book

Kek. This shit again.
>>
>>71192072
>Snyder fundamentally didn't understand the comic book
Did he write it?
>>
>>71192108
The comic makes even less sense since the "alien" only attacks America

"Dr. Manhattan" attacked every country
>>
>>71191910
t. manchild
>>
Every change from the source material in the movie is for the worse and Snyder is a literall retard. He's over 50 years old and still focuses on rule of cool.
When you think about most of capeshit are nu-male as fuck. Whedon, Snyder, those people are over 50 and still take making a movie based storybooks for children seriously. I have more respect for hacks who just do it for money.
>>
>>71192152
OP here,

Nite Owl was the most mishandled in the movie. Doctor Manhattan and Rorschach were ALMOST how they should've been, that's a bonus at least.

Hell, he didn't even get the point behind the sex scene with Dan and Laure in Archie.
>>
>>71192200
>decries edgy soundtrack
>inserts "fucking" in between every other word
>>
>>71192318
Hahaha you're a fucking idiot
>>
>>71192318
Yeah this always annoyed me. If the vagina alien thing had attack the USA, Russia, Britain and the Middle East, THEN I can get behind the nations banding together.

I can't see the Russians getting too annoyed about the Americans getting cucked by an alien. Dr Manhattan being the enemy makes a bit more sense, but still, it's an ending that's always bugged me as well. Even if they DID band together to fend of Dr Manhattan, what are they even going to do to a literal god?
>>
>>71192366
it's not edgy. it's lame and uninspired.
>>
>>71192404

A smart man shows his opponent why he is wrong, a fool throws insults.
>>
>>71191620
The movie was an extremely faithful adaption, I watched it right after reading the comic for the first time recently. Besides the ending which was a rather unncessary change but resulted in the same idea (common enemy for humans).

Honestly to dislike one and like the other is just weird, and you're probably a retard if you do.
>>
File: Watchman Concept10.png (697 KB, 930x560) Image search: [Google]
Watchman Concept10.png
697 KB, 930x560
Dan could have been a bigger bitch. Ozymandias was unsympathetic completely.

but overall its great.

The HBO show in development will be even better quite honestly. I hope they change stuff up a bit since te movie was SO devoted to the comic. The material has plenty of flexibility
>>
>>71192413
Holy shit, people really are this stupid. You really don't get the story, do you? Might as well stick to the movie, moron. More your tempo.
>>
File: ozymandias-by-gibbons.jpg (75 KB, 600x354) Image search: [Google]
ozymandias-by-gibbons.jpg
75 KB, 600x354
One of the single best lines i've ever read
>>
>>71192404
>muh pyschic vision

Who cares? The alien is on American soil

If I was russian, I would wonder why the aliens wnated to destroy New York first and destroy America myself as a peace offering
>>
>>71192494
See >>71192454
>>
>>71191620
It's the straight action film Snyder has ever made, I'll give him that. Dawn of the Dead 2003 is still the best thing he's done though.

The comic has a legacy that's hard to ignore when speaking of it. It's an amazing book that has an enthralling, timeless quality to it. It manages to be so much more than just a superhero story, too.

I think that Watchmen was more influential on the comic book industry than the movie was on film, but the movie was perfectly slick and had some nice soundtrack choices.
>>
>>71192454
Only a fool argues with fools
>>
>>71192318
>>71192318
Yes, but think about it --

Every other country saw the devastating effect the monster had on New York and there was a threat that more would come. It makes more for them to join in a united effort against an "alien force" than for them to suddenly have peace because many large cities were nuked by a man who was used as a U.S weapon.
>>
>>71192494
>>71192404
>Can't explain his position
>Probably read the comic after watching the film and thinks he "gets" it
>>
>>71192508
L M A O
M
A
O

Retarded, literally fucking retarded.
>>
>>71192566
This. Also the reason why Bubastis was in the comic was to show that Ozymandias was capable of creating such creatures. And the squid was the reason why Comedian went batshit on the island.
>>
File: snowballs.gif (464 KB, 400x235) Image search: [Google]
snowballs.gif
464 KB, 400x235
>silk spectre will never abuse you

life is cruel
>>
OP here -

Let's not devolve this into a pissing match. How about you back up your points instead of throwing around insults, okay?
>>
>>71192576
>literally
You're literally using the word wrong you obnoxious fucking cunt.
>>
File: castcomp.jpg (42 KB, 439x312) Image search: [Google]
castcomp.jpg
42 KB, 439x312
So they have to recast everyone for the HBO show

Any suggestions?
>>
>>71192540
>I think that Watchmen was more influential on the comic book industry than the movie was on film

No fucking shit. You might as well have said "I think that 2+2=4"
>>
>>71192638
God, they fucked up Bubastis completely in the movie. He was just... There.
>>
>>71192638
Isn't Bubastis in the film as well?
>>
>>71192756
yes, for no reason
>>
>>71192718
Pearlman would've been perfect for The Comedian.
>>
>>71192781
Do you need it spelled out that Ozy created her..?
>>
>>71192718
Speaking of Terry Gilliam's Watchmen -- has anyone heard of the ending he had planned for his version?
>>
I will always love the comic. It's a masterpiece as far as comics go but it's a bit unfair to compare the comic to the film.

The film is an adaptation and no matter how close the adaptation may be, it's not a perfect copy. It's not really possible to cram all of the nuances in the 12 issues of Watchmen (plus the Black Freighter tie-in) in a 2.5 hr film.

Something is necessarily lost in the translation from one medium to the next.

The movie has to be viewed in that context and judged on its own merits.
>>
>>71192718
Fuck every single Rorshach is just fucking spot on
>>
>>71192862
Bubastis WAS in there for literally no reason at all in the film. Without "Giant Alien Squid" her presence meant nothing.
>>
>>71192903
I read the whole script. It was a piece of shit.
>>
>>71192203
yes, this shit again because it is fact. He made a straight forward superhero movie and ignored the entire point of the comic while glorifying all the violence. The point of the comic was that if superheroes existed they would be fundamentally fucked up people. Batman (either the comedian or rorschach) would be a sadist, he would enjoy hurting people and wouldn't think twice about ridding the world of them. Dr. Manhattan (superman) wouldn't give the slightest bit of a fuck about humans because he can see through all their bullshit and doesn't like what he sees. Wonder Woman (silk specter i and ii) would be vulnerable as a woman, she wouldn't be as strong as her peers and most likely would get raped or at least almost raped. Snyder even through an almost exact adaptation missed that point entirely.
>>
File: 1463008275994.jpg (37 KB, 613x568) Image search: [Google]
1463008275994.jpg
37 KB, 613x568
>>71192718
>Jude Law's Ozy
>>
>>71192566
>trying to explain it to dumb pieces of shit

Save yourself the trouble.
>>
>>71192413
Dr. Manhattan attacking Moscow would make the Soviets think that the USA was behind the attack, no? They would launch the nukes immediately.
>>
>>71192685
>please point out the most painfully obvious things to me because I am autistic

Kill yourself faggot
>>
>>71192906
>>71192906
If the film came out on its own and there never was a Watchmen comic, it would be regarded much higher than it is now.
>>
>>71193050
Exactly. Actually -- they probably wouldn't even check if it was Manhattan or not - they'd just start throwing nukes at America like monkeys throwing shit.
>>
>>71193094
It would be borderline forgotten, white knights and infamy over it's cluelessness is all it has.
>>
>>71193092
OP here--

> starts insulting people because of different opinions
> calls me the autist

kek
>>
>>71193050
He attacked the US as well
>>
>>71193251
How would the Russians even know that though? If my my capital was suddenly nuked during the height of hostilities with my rival country and I wouldn't check, I'd just launch my entire nuclear arsenal in retaliation.
>>
The unfortunate thing about Watchmen is that it's very good and very dense. Since it came out there's been this thread of people reading Watchmen and misunderstanding it. The whole 90's "dark age" of comics was people reading Watchmen and thinking that the value was that they showed superheroes being asshole rapists, so suddenly everyone who wants to make a "mature" comic is heading out the door with their Rape Man pitch.

It's a legacy of dumb people just doing surface level readings of the work and Zack Snyder is one of those dumb people. He read Watchmen, skipped the boring parts, and added in some fight scenes. The ending is the most obvious problem but that just disguises the fact that the movie is just wrong from start to finish.
>>
File: atom.jpg (238 KB, 700x553) Image search: [Google]
atom.jpg
238 KB, 700x553
Make sure to pick up or download the recent Pax Americana, single issue of Multiversity in which Morrison puts his spin on the Watchmen universe, or more accurately the characters on which they're based. It's am amazing issue and more faithful or reverent to the original than Before Watchmen or, I imagine, their impending inclusion in the DCU.
>>
>>71192072
Fucking retard who doesn't realize Dave Gibbons, who actually did the art of the fucking comic, said himself that Snyder understood everything about it.
>>
>>71193371
>that last panel
This is when I knew I would cherish that book forever. Chills.
>>
Anyone who thinks Snyder didn't understand the comic is confirmed to have not understood the comic.
>>
>>71193402
Then Snyder didn't care. Even worse.
>>
>>71193402
Even if he understood it he sure as hell didn't show it when he made the movie.

>>71193456
How retarded does one have to be to actually think that?
>>
>>71193456
It's not a case of Snyder misunderstanding the book, I think it's more him wanting to make the ending appeal to a general audience who hasn't read the book.

I'm fine with both endings, I just think squid ending makes more sense.

- OP
>>
>>71193593
I agree with you. Realistically if the Squid happened normies' brains would short circuit.
>durr wha!?
>>
>>71193642
It's a shame really. I know Snyder gets a lot of flack, but he can direct action and destruction (just look at Man of Steel) and I bet the Squid teleporting in would've been a fucking cool spectacle on screen.
>>
>>71192462
there's a HBO show in development?
poor alan
>>
>>71193005
>Batman (either the comedian or rorschach) would be a sadist, he would enjoy hurting people and wouldn't think twice about ridding the world of them. Dr. Manhattan (superman) wouldn't give the slightest bit of a fuck about humans because he can see through all their bullshit and doesn't like what he sees. Wonder Woman (silk specter i and ii) would be vulnerable as a woman, she wouldn't be as strong as her peers and most likely would get raped or at least almost raped.
I don't get your point, these were all mentioned in the movie.
>>
>>71193832
Wait - there's a HBO version coming out?
>>
>>71193832
>>71193867
Wait a minute... There's a Home Box Office production along the way?
>>
>>71193832
It's being done by Snyder. Maybe he wants to get it right this time?
>>
>>71193764
Yeah, it would have looked absurd and amazing.
>>
>>71192718
>you will never ever see Robin Williams' Rorschach

Someone please shoot me.
>>
>>71193319
New York was hit first, idiot.
>>
Okay, so now we've discussed Snyder's Watchmen, let's start something new:

If you were leading an adaptation for Watchmen,TV or film, what would you do?
>>
>>71193832
It's just a rumor. Nothing will come of it.
>>
>>71194049
Did you even watch the movie you fucking retard? New York was hit LAST.
>>
>>71194131
streaming service all at once in however many parts, 10-12 hrs
>>
File: 1464168884826.jpg (87 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1464168884826.jpg
87 KB, 600x600
>>71193593
>>71193642
This bait sucks. You're actually memeing that the retarded squid ending is muh superior kino ending? Kill yourselves. Just fucking kill yourselves.

For those of you who don't actually know, the book ending was a hackjob to replace the original ending that had plagiarism issues. The movie ending restored the original intended ending.

Seriously, though: fuck off with muh kino squid ending - it's really just pathetic.
>>
>>71194173
Watch that shit again, nigga, and this time remember that what they show you happened 25 minutes before they showed it.
>>
>>71194302
When you're unsure if b8 or not
>>
>>71194340
But all the other clocks for all the other countries suggest that EVERY OTHER COUNTRY was hit before New York, including Moscow.
>>
>>71194302
Literally not true.
>>
>>71194302
It's not a meme. The squid was purposely absurd and alluded to the artifice of fictional pulp/action/comic media following the theme of the film.
>>
>>71193863
Mentioned yes, but that was literally the whole point of the book. The point of the movie was his Retarded glorified action scenes that he shot the way he did exclusively "because I thought it looked cool".

>>71193593
When did I ever say the ending is what means he misunderstood it? I actually liked the new ending over the alien squid.
>>
File: 1460934454637.jpg (59 KB, 1280x1218) Image search: [Google]
1460934454637.jpg
59 KB, 1280x1218
>>71194418
>>71194468
>>71194525
Try harder, samefag.
>>
>>71195690
No, don't take this stuff so seriously buddy
>>
File: 1460249784275.gif (528 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
1460249784275.gif
528 KB, 160x160
>>71195748
>don't take this stuff so seriously buddy
irony, the post
>>
>>71192566
Anyone who says the comic ending makes more sense, obviously, was too young to remember 9/11 or understand how real people think. People only band together against a common enemy once they've been fucked over, too.

Example, before England was protesting the US bombing Afghanistan and Iraq until they got attacked and they shut up. If just one place gets attacked people will, eventually, just forget and be like: 'Tough nuts for you, asshole.' If more places are attacked then people are more likely to band together. Even if it came from the US Dr. Manhattan attacked the US, too. It's not if they are going to go to war with each other if that blue threat is still out there.

Also, no one is going to, really, believe it was aliens. Even if an alien came down to Earth went on tv and said I'm an alien people would be working hard to debunk that shit so hard.
>>
>>71192718
Wait, there was going to be a terry Gilliam watchmen movie, starring Kevin Costner as nite owl, Jamie lee Curtis as Silk Spectre, Gary Busey as comedian and Robin Williams as Rorschach.

What the fuck would that have looked like?
>>
>>71191620
i loved the movie, i also loved the comic, but understand much like v for v that the comic itself wouldnt've been a good fit. so i understand and appreciate the changes that were made

i'll stand by 300 as being a decent movie, but watchmen being Hack's best
>>
>>71192508
have you read the comic? if i recall correctly, psychic residue of the "attack" resonated worldwide. yeah, it's comic book logic and rather silly, but it was explained why the world would unite against the threat.
>>
>>71193005
Did you miss the part of the movie where everyone but Dan and Jupiter were fucking insane?

Comedian is a sadistic asshole, Manhattan is almost completely inhuman by the end of the movie, Rorschach has totally lost his shit, he'll even Dan/Jupiter are pretty fucked up, neither of them have normal friends or a normal life and they are barely functional outside of their costumes, meanwhile oYmandias is a Machiavellian genocidal loon
>>
>>71197814
Once again, they may have acted like that but that wasn't the entire point like it was supposed to be. That was the comics literal purpose, it was merely character traits in the movie.
>>
I remember only knowing about the movie because MCR did a post about them doing a song for it and how much Gerard was into comics

Now he's done his own comics and doing some more
And in still here
Feels bad man
>>
>>71194302
>anyone who disagrees with snydermustdie pitchfork crew get immediately lumped in with kino posters
>>
>>71192152
>Zack made them cool
no, he didn't
>>
>An American superweapon destroys an American city and tons of other cities around the world.

So you do realize that Russia isn't going to pick up a phone and call the president asking what's up.

They wake up to an attack from a walking American superweapon, what do you think is going to happen?

The movie ending just doesn't make sense.
>>
The movie really was an attempt to do 100% fan service to fans of the Graphic Novel and that's why it fails so awfully.

It grazes over all the character nuance from the comic and takes all the depth and thematic elements and puts it right there on the surface for everyone to plainly see.

The Graphic Novel requires rereads in order to connect everything and give more meaning to each moment. The movie can be watched once and thrown away with nothing gained from another viewing.
>>
>>71192718
Joaquin would have been amazing.... Fuck I love Terry Gilliam.
>>
File: bear what.png (113 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
bear what.png
113 KB, 500x281
>>71191620
>mfw i got into a comics a month ago, read Watchmen, then immediately read DC Rebirth comic
>mfw the end of that
>>
>>71199390
Yea I can't wait to see how they put the watchmen in the same universe as the justice league. I want to see Dr. Manhattan shit all over superman with minimal effort.
>>
>>71196143
total shit, gilliam is a tryhard hippie
>>
>>71193371
>>71193441
>imagine how your 3-d world appears to me

it doesn't, because he's a figment of OUR imagination

supposing such a being were real that would be a valid avenue to explore but that's meaningless meta shit

the aspect of the story between him and the president is p cool dezu
>>
File: Superman Thought Robot.jpg (109 KB, 546x876) Image search: [Google]
Superman Thought Robot.jpg
109 KB, 546x876
>>71199725
>implying
>>
>>71192318
>pleb doesn't know about the Veidt Method

I bet you skipped all the prose pieces, dumbass
>>
>>71199340 (You)
kys
>>
>>71201698
>pleb doesn't know about a dictionary
It was ALL prose, dumbass.
>>
>>71197814
Except Dan and Laurie were doing pretty well for themselves before the story begins. Dan's impotent and Laurie's friendless, and they realize that being in costume gives them a confidence boost, but that hardly makes them unstable or unable to live normal, successful lives.
>>
>>71191620
>alien popping out of literally another dimension
>making sense
>>
>>71193005
I got all of that on my first watch when I was 15.

The adaptation is pretty great except for the over the top fight scenes and completely reprehensible sex scene.

I don't mind the squid change either.
>>
>>71201966
You're going to have a great life anon! I am jealous.
>>71202059
I think the summer kids have come up with a new meme - ain't they adorable! KInda like this one here >>71199340
Hilariously pathetic.
>movie grazes over comic's depth....
>...by putting that depth on screen for all to see
You can't make this shit up!
>>
File: images-174.jpg (12 KB, 312x471) Image search: [Google]
images-174.jpg
12 KB, 312x471
>I prefer the graphic novel
>>
>>71202414
>trying this hard
You'll fit in eventually, this board is the new /b/ anyways
>>
>>71192108
why wouldn't russia rejoice that a massive alien just destroyed NY? wouldn't they take that as confirmation from some eldritch gods that the commies were the only path of light and wisdom?
>>
>>71192354
what is the point of that scene? i only read the book as a kid, would love to hear explanation.
>>
>>71197814
>Rorschach has totally lost his shit
lol
Snyder made Rorschach the hero
Moore's critique of an Objectivist superhero was lost on a braindead Randian like Snyder
>>
File: 142929272727643.jpg (10 KB, 343x429) Image search: [Google]
142929272727643.jpg
10 KB, 343x429
>>71202423
>squid ending is superior
>Snyder doesn't "get it"
>>
>>71192507
should have been split into two panels; i love the comic but this is a place where moore totally lost the dramatic tension by putting it all into "one breath" for the reader.
>>
>>71202847
snyder made rorschach be rorschach

i never took the movie to glorify any of its characters
>>
>>71202184
Once again, it may have been in the movie but it was the entire point of the comic. How fucking dense do you have to be to not get this after me saying it multiple times?
>>
>>71201886
>I got BTFO, better get pendantic to save face!
Suk a dog dik
>>
------------------------------

>>71196071
T
>>71196071
H
>>71196071
I
>>71196071
S

------------------------------------
>>
File: azu watchmen 1293453120385.png (670 KB, 1059x1364) Image search: [Google]
azu watchmen 1293453120385.png
670 KB, 1059x1364
>>71191620
>And, to be quite frank, the "inter-dimensional space alien" made WAY more sense than the film's ending.
Damn right. The whole point of Ozymandias's plan was that it was something shocking that humans hadn't seen before. Works for the audience too. To make it just Manhattan is a dumb idea a simpleton like Snyder would think is a great shortcut. Hell, the squid even gave reason why Bubastis was created.
>>
>>71193359
I understood your argument up to the point where you said

>The ending is the most obvious problem

because that didn't relate to anything else in your argument.
>>
>>71192152
>Moore's superheroes are pathetic freaks, Zack made them cool. It exemplified this "I have issues, but they make me even edgier and cooler" trope. Instead of being a plump nerd wearing WTF the Costume, Nite Owl becomes Batman. Instead of contrasting the sheer camp looks and nature of the superheroes with Cold War reality, they are tailored to fit it and stay "cool".
Damn right. It was like a movie made by a fucking 14 year old trying to be cool. Keep thinking of it as Snyder as a child trying on papa Moore's suit.

Not that I don't have issues with Moore or even Watchmen's absolute cynicism toward capes, but Moore's book was so much more intelligent than Snyder's childish flick.
>>
>>71202423
> not preferring the graphic novel
> liking Snyder's shitty superficial flick
>>
>>71197814

How did people interpret
the comic ending where
Dan and Laurie are all
happy and put into witness
protection and dye their
hair Aryan and stuff?

genuinely curious, not
sure what it meant.
>>
File: 1376189300476.png (625 KB, 751x720) Image search: [Google]
1376189300476.png
625 KB, 751x720
>>71202900
M8, the whole point is that it isn't dramatic.
The whole point is that he's not "acting" like a villain. There isn't supposed to be tension in that line.

Look at the Gordian knot behind him.
Get it now?
>>
>>71191865
What about the Ultimate Edition (which also includes the Black Freighter story that was previously its own straight-to-DVD tie-in)?
>>
>>71203969
The ultimate edition is objectively the best version but ADHD manchildren think it "fucks up the pacing too much" when it doesn't unless you're autistic and won't pay attention to TFTBF.
>>
>>71203912
that's a good point, i hadn't seen that.

i still would just prefer splitting it into two panels just because i'm not a great reader and it would have stuck out more to me as important, but i guess you're right.
>>
>>71204599
Fair enough. I think we're both right - just what you're perceiving as its weakness is actually its strength. Cool how you noticed it wasn't "dramatic" enough though. I always liked that about the reveal. The drama already happened and the heroes fucking missed it lol.

I always thought the Watchmen movie was pretty great - for me the only part where Snyder didn't succeed was conveying the horror of the destruction. The Manhattan thing makes some sense, but the sheer horror from the comic was missing. I wanted more blood and death ... the vaporization just didn't hit as hard.
>>
>>71192108

He was a weapon of the US, who went rogue and started wrecking shit (or so they believed). It would probably have been known by the point by both sides that Manhattan was slowly losing his humanity and becoming more and his mind becoming more and more incomprehensible to humans. And he's basically a god, he could destroy the whole earth if he wanted to. Which includes Russia. If he did it to his own allies, who's to say he wouldn't do it to his enemies too. Humans fear what they don't comprehend, so it would make perfect sense for both sides to consider Manhatten the ultimate threat.
>>
>>71204718
no, YOU'RE right, and you've pointed out something that went over that anon's head

he literally criticized the book in the exact same way snyder is getting criticized itt, but the other way around
>>
>>71204718
i understand the argument that alien vagina squid is supposed to be random, crazy, and otherworldly to the point where the reader is like wtf is happening.

i get that.

i understand that there's tons of small plot points that point to it, and its all complex.

i just still don't really agree if it's worth it.
it's like modern art.
>>
>>71191620
the comic is better, Zack Snyder made the characters look like super heroes and thats not the point also the mvovie's ending makes no sense since Dr M was an American agent who nuked the world, the unknow alien menace is way better
>>
>>71204986
what do you mean by "other way around?"
>>
>>71202983
>confused
>better strawman and attack mindlessly to save face
Oh, dear! The little kid is upset because the big bad man pointed out his stupid.
Comedian kek.
>>
File: ozzy.png (1 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ozzy.png
1 MB, 1024x768
Snyder kind of missed the point on a couple of the themes, but he nailed the look of the movie and adapted it about as well as you could given the constraints of the medium

His only major foul-up was Veidt. What a horrible miscast that was.
>>
>>71205129
the criticism of the book is of it not being dramatic, the criticism of snyder is of the heightened dramatization
>>
>>71205046
Fuck right the fuck off with this lame-assed fucking meme, shitlord.
NOBODY thinks the squid is a better ending. Not the original authors, not the filmmakers, and not a single solitary reader of the comic.
But do keep beating this dead horse, your desperation is amusing.
>>
File: 1451683584842.gif (561 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1451683584842.gif
561 KB, 625x626
>>71205268
>>
File: smug.png (57 KB, 375x361) Image search: [Google]
smug.png
57 KB, 375x361
>>71205306
>Not the original author

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/uncategorized/alan-moore-on-w/

On the ending of Watchmen
>It spoon-feeds us, which has the effect of watering down our collective cultural imagination. It is as if we are freshly hatched birds looking up with our mouths open waiting for Hollywood to feed us more regurgitated worms.
>>
The Watchmen movie adaptation was underwhelming, I'm sure we can all agree. But at least it wasn't as bad as this. Talk about missing the fucking point. At least Watchmen stayed true to Moore's writing for the most part, even if it failed to capture the tone. They wrecked a literally perfect formula between the members of the League in the comic book, rewriting all the characters and adding totally worthless new members.
>>
File: B^U.jpg (7 KB, 186x213) Image search: [Google]
B^U.jpg
7 KB, 186x213
>>71202900
>i love the comic but this is a place where moore totally lost the dramatic tension
Could you miss the point any harder
>>
>>71191620
The movie is a pretty good adaption IMHO.
Sure its not completely loyal to the source material but it still gets the important parts across that makes watchmen so controversial.
>>
>>71205394

The quote is a about the movie as a whole. Not the ending. So you're right that he doesn't approve of the ending, if only because he doesn't approve of the film full stop. He hasn't even watched it, he refuses too. I can't blame him really, but he's the last guy you're going to go to to get an unbiased opinion about the movie.
>>
Arguing about the Squid is a meme.

The movies real issues were with the mischaracterization of Veidt and the dumbing down the moral of the story until Niteowl is literally explaining it to the audience.

Snyder seemed to have a very adolescent understanding of the moral nuances at play. He cast Veidt as a mumbly, sullen cunt with a vaguely european accent. Cause that's how villains are supposed to act right guys?
>>
>>71205394
Near the end of the project, Moore realized that the story bore some similarity to "The Architects of Fear", an episode of The Outer Limits television series. The writer and Wein argued over changing the ending, and when Moore refused to give in, Wein quit the book. Wein explained, "I kept telling him, 'Be more original, Alan, you've got the capability, do something different, not something that's already been done!' And he didn't seem to care enough to do that." Moore acknowledged the Outer Limits episode by referencing it in the series' last issue.

There you go. Looks like Moore is lying his ass off because he's a bitter old man who hates others succeeding with work he signed off on.
>>
>>71191620
rorschach scenes are best scenes
>>
File: 1452743911436.jpg (7 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1452743911436.jpg
7 KB, 200x200
>>71205570
Switching memes, eh? Fuck off!
>>
>>71205589
stop contributing to a meme argument
>>
>>71205463
>not recognizing b8

just ignore them, bruv
>>
No Squid, no watch

Its disgusting the way they misrepresented the story. Totally disrespectful.
>>
File: lexmanofsteel1.jpg (81 KB, 494x759) Image search: [Google]
lexmanofsteel1.jpg
81 KB, 494x759
>>71205268
What is it with Snyder and taking butch villains and turning them into effeminate nancy boys for his films?
>>
>>71205306
I'm not the only one you autist
>>
>>71205796
because that's what luthor's ALWAYS been right?

i suppose if they went with a literally big big money man you'd have been fine with that, right? or perhaps the bald spot luthor that sticks out in no way at all would have been fine too
>>
>>71205589
Based Moore was right though, Terminator was also like the short story "Soldier" but Cameron didnt care and pay the writer and thanks god he did
>>
>>71206003
>I'm the only autist doing it
ftfy
>>
>>71206092
I think cameron got sued into paying the writer his fair dues. Cameron a thief. Moore a thief.
>>
>>71206223
sure buddy
>>
>>71191620
The movie is complete shit, and I hope to do my own film adaptation one day.
Might work better as an HBO series though.
>>
File: 1465583497097.gif (2 MB, 500x212) Image search: [Google]
1465583497097.gif
2 MB, 500x212
>>71205796
Contemporary Lex Luthor WOULD be a nu-male. I actually thought Eisenberg Luthor was one of the more interesting and original parts of the movie.

Sure an older more mature businessman would make sense, but these days Luthor would more likely be a Martin Shkreli, whiny loser type. I thought it was perfect but could see why purists would be pissed.
>>
>>71206092
Yes, movie ending is superior in every way to squid ending. Moore should have avoided that squid - it really snaps you out of the film's world when suddenly, for no reason, a fucking dead giant alien plops into new york. For no reason.

The series established a gritty realism, only to toss it into the garbage at the final turning point.
>>
>>71204986
Sure, I'm just saying that the lack of dramatization was important to notice... I do think he interpreted it wrong though.
>>
>>71206244>>71206223

No, he was sued and had to provide screen credit to the guy he stole from.
Buddy.
>>
>>71206280
That's LITERALLY the whole point.
It comes out of nowhere.
It is the Gordian knot.
It isn't an elaborate solution to the problem.
It isn't carefully working it out.
It is taking the problem and slicing it in fucking half.

The Manhattan ending works within the framework of the established story, but that is why it doesn't make sense.

Only something truly out of left field would catch the entire fucking planet off guard.
>>
File: watchmen film bubastis.jpg (115 KB, 1280x846) Image search: [Google]
watchmen film bubastis.jpg
115 KB, 1280x846
>>71206280
>The series established a gritty realism, only to toss it into the garbage at the final turning point.
Not if you build it up properly. Why the fuck even have Bubastis then?!
>>
>>71192718
Joaquin Phoenix would have been a better as Ozymandias.
>>
>>71191817
>>71191948
How would you fix the movie?
>>
>>71206280
t. retard who doesn't get Watchmen
>>
>>71206353
>>71191817 here
I simply wouldn't do it
The entire thing was a vanity project
>>
>>71193359
You're a complete fucking retard.
Snyder understood the comics, watch the director's cut. He LIVED through that era, hell Watchmen was released in the middle of the TDK trilogy.
>>
>>71206406
>vanity project
lol no
Snyder initially passed on it.
He only did it cuz they were shopping it around to other directors that he said were awful and didn't care about comics (he wouldn't name names).

Say what you will about Snyder, but he definitely fucking cares. Watch some of the BTS shit. The amount of effort put into that movie is insane.
>>
>>71206340
DING DING DING
>>
>>71206520
How much does the director's cut improve the movie?
>>
>>71206581
Quite a bit.
There's one unnecessary scene but everything else fills out the pacing.
Also the Hollis Mason death is arguably the best thing Snyder's ever done.
>>
>>71205570
>dumbing down
I wouldn't say he dumbed it down, but really there was no choice.
Even now zillion of plebs don't understand the film, they had to find a compromise.
So having Nite Owl II give his "opinion" on the matter with a little exposition was a good idea from a cinematic point of view.
>>
>>71206508
No he didn't. Neither do you.
>>
>>71206648
Yes he did.

God, why can't we have a Watchmen thread without constant b8 posts and garbage like this?
>>
>>71206357
>>71206340
Again, bros, you fail to grasp the unalterable truth that the movie ending is the original moore ending. The squid was tacked-on bullshit to avoid plagiarism. It wasn't supposed to end with a squid - it was supposed to end exactly as the movie ended. The movie ending is the original ending.
Twits.
>>
>>71206678
>God, why can't we have a Watchmen thread without constant b8 posts and garbage like this?
capekino, snyder-hate, dcucks vs. marvelfags, general pleb-level intellect, fucking australians

That might not sum it up, but it's a start.
>>
>>71205306
I want Snydercucks to leave.
>>
>>71191817
>giant squid is better than angry at humanity god-like immortal creature
Opinions instantly disregarded.
>>
File: Capture.png (407 KB, 1364x648) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
407 KB, 1364x648
>>
>>71207236
>this thread is bait
none of are surprised right?
>>
>>71207146
Keep amusing me with your sadness and false labels.
>>
>>71194184
this. as much as I love the Ultimate Cut, a mini-series would be the best way to adapt.
>>
>>71206912
Except it's not, the Outer limits ends with an extra dimensional being killing a bunch of people in New York which is the squid ending. Moore refused to change his ending.
>>
>>71207315
>>71207236
It's all a baiting shitstorm when australia wakes up. God fucking jesus i hate australians. Even when it's not summer, they constantly fuck this site up. I would absolutely LOVE it if the powers that be banned the whole fucking continent.
>>
>>71191620
COMIC
>>
>>71193402
Was Gibbons talking about the visuals?
>>
>>71206353
I'd stick to the comic's ending if i'm going to make a movie that the author doesn't condone
>>
>>71206618
Did they cut the scene where night owl and the legs move in together with the og leggys?
>>
>>71206520
You believe the shit that comes out of his mouth? Because DC did and look what happened
>>
>>71206678
IT's clear he undestands visuals. That's the only nice thing they can say about him.

Explain how he understood the story of Watchmen.
>>
>>71203136
Nope did you read the comic? The "alien" was some genetically engineered monster that raped manhattan physcislly and everyone else psychically.
I mean what the fuck. It was retarded
>>
>Dave Gibbons

Well, it's not like he doesn't make mistakes.
>>
File: 1453856611451.jpg (44 KB, 309x302) Image search: [Google]
1453856611451.jpg
44 KB, 309x302
>it's a pirate comic within the comic section
>>
File: BNJAxLc.jpg (387 KB, 1000x793) Image search: [Google]
BNJAxLc.jpg
387 KB, 1000x793
>>71208025
Forgot to post his recolored The Killing Joke.
>>
>>71206280
>it really snaps you out of the film's world when suddenly, for no reason, a fucking dead giant alien plops into new york. For no reason.
thats the point you idiot it was the greatest joke ever made, something so out of the box like the gordian knot solution

is amazing how you could not even comprend a fucking comic book
>>
The comic book is amazing, the adaptation stays too verbatim to the source in my opinion, one of the most praised scene is the intro which is one of the few original ideas.
Don't remember if it was a success or a flop, I just think that the hardocre fans of the comic book will be disappointed and the guys who want to see a dumb superheroes flick will be disappointed too because too much plot.
>>
>>71206912
this must be bait
>>
>>71192066
>Doc Manhattan's origins

Dude this was shot for shot, line by line out of the book

How was it done better in the movie lmao
>>
>>71208095
So the squid was supposed to be funny? It was supposed to be so retardedly unbelievable and simple that it ended up being brilliant?
Nope i just think you are the retard
>>
>>71208051
>left: a journey into madness
>right: just another comic book

I hope one day DC stops milking Moore's and Miller's work
>>
>>71208028
fuck you i liked those

the body raft was a really neat yet gruesome read
>>
File: the comedian covered in poop.jpg (62 KB, 576x382) Image search: [Google]
the comedian covered in poop.jpg
62 KB, 576x382
>there will never be a movie about the comedian's misadventures and eventual descent into misanthropic madness

why does this world have to be so cruel
>>
>>71208174
Yes, that's why it elicited the reaction it did from The Comedian. Re-read the scene where Moloch talks about his ramblings.
>>
>>71208174
even The Comedian was jelly, the comic builds to it beautifully theres just no denying maybe Archie or Casper is more your speed my mongoloid friend
>>
>>71202945
Don't keep saying "that was the point, that was the point, that was the point." Say what you thought the point was.
>>
>>71208028
fuck you
>>
>>71192318
>"Dr. Manhattan" attacked every country

Because usa was threatening the world by launching nuclear missiles. Did you ever wonder what that big countdown clock was?

The rest of the world? usa was the only one that deserved it
>>
>>71194302

The squid is central to the whole plot how could it have been hacked in
>>
>>71199904
The dude doesn't do drugs.
>>
>>71203136
I think the reason for the squid removal is that the psychic alien squid was Yet Another Plotline. It was removed for timing reasons, the same way all of the Black Freighter business was.

You'd essentially have to shoehorn in a bunch of scenes showing the conspiracy behind it, etc., in an already quite long movie. Now, would WE have minded if the thing had been four fucking hours? No. Realistically, the squid creation/conspiracy would have taken an extra half hour of film; we'd be happy with that but the public probably wouldn't.
>>
>>71191620
I really like the movie
honestly it's the best super hero movie out there
I would say it's the first super hero Film
>>
>>71202829
night owl has super hero fetish and feels emasculated and impotent for no being able to do the only thing he had passion about
>>
>>71208391
I correct myself
there's burton's batmans
>>
>>71208391
is not even about super heros if you want to see a super hero movie I suggest the excellent Superman 1978
>>
>>71208233
>>71208239
suck moore dick more
>>
>>71208120
Nah. The whole the photo is between my hands, now I am in mars is better on the comic and shows how manhattan see the time. The movie version is more lineal and the pacing is not better in that scene
>>
>>71208336
maybe cut some action escenes then, the comic was never action packed and it feels like Snyder put extended action scenes because it looks "cool" and to sell a fucking trailer
>>
>>71194302
is the other way around moron
>>
>>71206280
You are missing the point so hard. The squid was just like Grant Morrison said the greatest mind of the world comes with the the most stupid plan ever.
>>
>>71208495
I remember that, based Moore taking the comic book medium to its limit I love that asshole
>>
>>71208495

Oh I read the original post wrong
I thought it said the movie was better

Good night
>>
I unironically think that the Hallelujah sex scene is one of the best sex scenes ever made. It is literally perfect.
>>
>>71204718
Very true. The first time going through those two page spreads of just dead bodies and blood everywhere was very memorable
>>
>>71206223
Good artists copy
Great ones steal :^)
>>
>>71208574
>the most stupid plan is the most brilliant
So moore was jsut being a daft cunt, poking fun at comic books by writing a comic book.
Wow such mindfuckery, such introspection and trope reversal
>>
>>71209076
not that anon but thats not what the Morrison quote means
>>
>>71209364
so it means ozymandias was actually an autistic genius?
>>
>>71208506
Or maybe make it appealing to normies like everyone does
>>
>>71208203
They have "before watchmen" it's basically trash but if you really want to see more of him you can.
>>
>>71208028
t
>>71208028
h
>>71208028
i
>>71208028
s
>>
File: images-151.jpg (24 KB, 335x439) Image search: [Google]
images-151.jpg
24 KB, 335x439
Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam

>>71211938
>>
>>71207164
>some blue dr. manhattan explosions happen around the world once and then never again is supposed to unite the world

If anything, it'd just make everyone pissed off at the States. Dr. Manhattan had been a symbol of American patriotism for a few years at that point.
>>
File: before watchmen.jpg (169 KB, 660x1014) Image search: [Google]
before watchmen.jpg
169 KB, 660x1014
So what should I read?
Thread replies: 246
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.