[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The fact that so many anons still name Seinfeld as "the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7
File: just.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
just.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
The fact that so many anons still name Seinfeld as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" show ever only tells you how far sitcoms are from becoming a serious art. Drama critics have long recognised that the greatest TV shows of all times are The Sopranos and The Wire, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial 'What's my line?' over classical shows that were highly popular in TVs around Europe. Sitcom critics are still blinded by commercial success. Seinfeld sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore it must have been the greatest. Drama critics grow up watching a lot of dramas of the past, classical critics grow up watching a lot of classical TV of the past. Sitcom critics are often totally ignorant of the Sitcoms of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that Seinfeld did anything worthy of being saved.
>>
File: MTE4MDAzNDEwMTg0NjY4Njg2.jpg (212 KB, 1200x913) Image search: [Google]
MTE4MDAzNDEwMTg0NjY4Njg2.jpg
212 KB, 1200x913
the only sitcom that matters
>>
>>
>>71189237
>reverse image search
>reddit threads pop up

Sad!
>>
>>71189156
>The Sopranos and The Wire,

The Sopranos was above average at best. Your opinion is inflammatory and wrong.
>>
>>71189156
Scruffy pls
>>
>>71189495
pleb
>>
>>71190430
pleb
>>
>>71189182
Is she okay?
>>
>>71189156
Is this some shitty pasta trying to be like that Harry Potter one?
>>
>>71190430
>>71190696
http://scaruffi.com/vol1/beatles.html
>>
File: larry sanders show.jpg (875 KB, 1800x2048) Image search: [Google]
larry sanders show.jpg
875 KB, 1800x2048
this revolutionary sitcom is as good if not better than Seinfeld and yet no one on /tv/ cares...
(RIP Garry)
>>
Larry and Jerry still split about 400 million per year from the syndication rights
>>
>>71191750
Thanks for the reminder, I was little when this show was on in my country and even though a lot of the jokes went over my head but I loved it because it was so different to the other stuff put out at the time.
>>
File: larrysanders robin.jpg (49 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
larrysanders robin.jpg
49 KB, 800x533
>>71192554
There's a lot of 90s pop culture/entertainment jokes and mentions, and a lot of minor celebrities playing versions of themselves. I'd imagine it might not be as funny to people outside the US. I was too little when it was first airing but its totally worth a watch.

It influenced pretty much every other laugh-track-free sitcom that came after it.
>>
>>71193439
Downloading right now my friend.
Maybe I'll give Fraser a go after this since I also loved that as a child but never knew why.
It was very weird watching the radio whore lady appearing in Modern Family as a prostitute with her forehead that could not wrinkle
>>
>>71193877
Frasier is a lot easier to just pop in and laugh at. Larry Sanders Show is more for the thinking man. That "show within another show" motif is what makes it so great. The way the talk show clips are filmed differently than the rest of the show, etc. He's like a Letterman/Leno caricature. Sometimes you forget that its not a real talk show.

In real life, Garry Shandling was offered the role of filling in for Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show when he retired in '92, but he declined in favor of creating Larry Sanders, a scripted spoof of a late night show. American TV was overrun with late night shows in the early 90s and swapping the hosts and so forth, so Larry Sanders was a great parody of the whole format. Chevy Chase even had a go at a late night show.....it famously went down in flames horrendously.

Plus celebrities/musicians playing funnier versions of themselves is always good for laughs.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.