[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Roger Ebert praised Sandler's performance for Punch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 512x288
>Roger Ebert praised Sandler's performance for Punch Drunk Love in his review for the Chicago Sun-Times, saying, "Sandler, liberated from the constraints of formula, reveals unexpected depths as an actor. Watching this film, you can imagine him in Dennis Hopper roles. He has darkness, obsession and power. He can't go on making those moronic comedies forever, can he?"
>>
Punch Drunk Love is why Sandler can do anything he wants and still be based.
>>
>>71183464
The answer to that rhetorical question would make his jaw drop.
>>
He wasn't even good in it. He exhibited no by-the-book acting talent. Anyone could emulate his performance, and given capable enough direction, would come off as good. I'm surprised Roger Ebert was conned. Sandler has zero acting talent.
>>
Probably because delivering a powerful dramatic performance is too hard and too risky. Sandler is content to make the same shitty movies for a huge paycheck til he dies because he fears being seen as a failure. He'd rather really good at being mediocre
>>
>>71183551
>Anyone could emulate his performance, and given capable enough direction, would come off as good
Nice Donning-Kruger effect.
>>
Punk Drunk-Love is actually a good movie though.
>>
File: 1356045226545.jpg (39 KB, 634x584) Image search: [Google]
1356045226545.jpg
39 KB, 634x584
>>71183543
>jaw drop
>>
>>71183610
>can't defend Sandler on actual by-the-book merits
>better attack his critic instead
Disappointing response.
>>
>>71183673
nice b8
>>
>>71183543
and that it did.

I'm afraid it was fatal, sire
>>
>>71183543
Ooooh cause that's what happened to ebert, right
>>
>>71183464
>Sandler later revealed an agreement with Anderson[12]: "He agreed to cast me on one condition - that I never give a good dramatic performance again. He said the benefit to me is that I will always have this one role in my pocket. His benefit was the appearance that [Barry] Egan would look like a product almost entirely to his credit, not mine. I had just come off a bit of downtime and must've gone a little stir-crazy so I said why not?" Sandler later stated he "resented" the idea that his role in 'Reign Over Me' was a deliberate attempt to fulfill his obligation to Anderson and said instead that he "kept thinking how Rob [Schneider] would play this a character this damaged."[13][14]
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.