[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can HBO get their groove back?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 10
File: image.png (42 KB, 240x214) Image search: [Google]
image.png
42 KB, 240x214
Can HBO get their groove back?
>>
>>71177086

Yes and I'll help them. My pilot will save them, just hang in there.
>>
>>71177107
One show isn't gonna do it. GoT is almost done, Westworld looks promising but I'm skeptical it will be good and they just cancelled the mediocre Vinyl. What reason do people have to subscribe and stay subscribed?
>>
>>71177168

Yeah you're probably right. FX is eating HBO's food.
>>
>>71177086
Not without Michael Lombardo
>>
They have two seasons of GoT left to fix their shit.
>>
Why invest in quality programming when they can shit up GoT and laugh their way to the bank?
>>
>>71177255
Based on their creative output over the last half a decade I'm sure they'll end up squeezing as much mileage as possible out of GoT. Robert's Rebellion or Aegon's Conquest or both highly likely to be made into series imo.
>>
>>71177086
Ribbon of Dreams
Rome S3
True Detective S3 with Matthew McConnaughey reprising his role as Rustin Cohle
Deadwood S4
Untitled Matthew Weiner Project
>>
>>71177086
I think they can but they need an unconventional approach; like getting multiple seasons of a show on paper and filming them simultaneously with alternating directors and separate crews. Sure you'd have to see if the show is popular enough first to warrant the effort but it's a solid dice roll.
>>
>>71177168
>the mediocre Vinyl
>mediocre
You're being generous, bro. Vinyl was one of the worst shows ever.
>>
>>71178344
Rome and Deadwood revivals will be too expensive and their appeal to new viewers is limited.
>>
David Simon miniseries about Watts riots.
>>
>>71177086
They ditched the abomination Vinyl was so I would say they are on the right track to get back in biz.
>>
TD S3 WHEN?

PIZZA FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HBO NEEDS YOU
>>
>>71177086
It's pretty easy senpai

give Oscar Isaac and Justin Theroux more shows, hang Terrence Winter, put The Knick right where it belongs. HBO fixed.
>>
>>71179264
Matt Mac said he is up for exploring the character more. No idea at what capacity. Is he going to have another 20 year case at 60? Plus he's probably too old now to go back and do the biker undercover prequel. The metaphysical and contemplative nature of TD is best. I suppose they could go deeper and try and get the higher ups that were involved on carcosa.
>>
Once GoT ends they'll have to
>>
gabagool
>>
>>71177086
They should pick up Hannibal season 4 onwards

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1i2p1HLyVQc
>>
>>71177168
>>71178611
>>71179242
I never saw an episode: what was so fucking terrible about Vinyl?
>>
>>71179461
That would be amazing. I really really really hope someone will bring Hannibal back.
>>
>we'll never see rust and marty ever again
>>
>Kill Deadwood because the new heads at HBO don't get any cut for keeping Deadwood running because they weren't there when the shows were born
>Kill all current running HBO shows for same reason
>Make something new to put their names on it and thus get that money
They won't get their groove back, the groove was left behind.
>>
>>71179690
The Golden Age is truly over
>>
DUNE WHEN
>>
Tales from the crypt pls
>>
Never. FX and Showtime are fighting for the New HBO title.
>>
File: carnivale-01.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
carnivale-01.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>71177086
HBO died for me when they cancelled Carnivale
>>
>>71180428

i swear FX is what HBO was 10 years ago
>>
File: 160318-news-silicon-valley.jpg (178 KB, 1300x867) Image search: [Google]
160318-news-silicon-valley.jpg
178 KB, 1300x867
>>
>>71177086

Will they bring back Carnivale or reboot? On second thought, as much as I'd love new Carnivale and the ten years between Season 2 and whatever they pump out will give it that aesthetic feel.
>>
they just announced new curb
>>
>>71180473

>HBO cancel Carnivale, Deadwood and Rome yet let True Blood, Game of Thrones and other shit continue

I understand those types generate more money but when did they stop caring about quality? The Leftovers and Silicon Valley are the two remotely decent things I enjoy from them now but at least I'm glad The Leftovers is ending properly.
>>
>>71177086
New episodes of Curb will help.
>>
>>71180428
Showtime can't cancel a show (ie: Dexter, and their comedies), it just cancelled one of the best shows on it's network (Penny Dreadful).
>>
>>71179558
It was essentially "white rich guy swears and curses drama" no. 220
>>
>>71180936
It's rare to see such a good comedy with a genuinely engaging plot.
>>
Will HBO ever have this good of a lineup again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3X-UDNoFbs
>>
What comic will HBO adapt? I think they'll go for something in the comic book industry next since all the other networks are doing so and I don't think they've tackled anywhere there yet you could say ASOIAF but that's a fantasy novel.

>No East of West by HBO
Imagine how great it would be
>>
>>71181574
Game of Thrones didn't start going downhill until after its third season so perhaps they should've cancelled it like Carnivale, Deadwood and Rome. Better short and sweet than living out your welcome like it is now.
>>
>>71177086
TWENTY SHIT SHOWS

they cant and tv sucks so im out
>>
The Netflix model is a disaster for HBO.
They should perhaps do a deal with Netflix and use them to distribute.
>>
>>71181707
>>71180936
>>71181574
Is Leftovers and Silicon Valley decent because I've heard mixed things. I'd like to start a new show and I'm still disappoint GoT's quality has dropped so extensively these past two seasons.
>>
They will make an excellent adaptation of the witcher books that will be faithful to the source material but ultimately last 3 seasons too long as the show dips into mediocrity and then shittery, followed by an unfulfilling cancellation
>>
>>71182373
The Leftovers is arguably the best show on TV. I am not memeing.
>>
File: 1447033827505.png (9 KB, 411x387) Image search: [Google]
1447033827505.png
9 KB, 411x387
>>71182256
>canceling game of thrones when it prints money
>>
>>71182460

>The Leftovers is best thing on TV
It's a great show but tied with Rectify for best thing this decade
>>
they're probably making such an insane amount from GoT that they'd have enough left over to shit the bed 5 years after its over. its that fucking popular.

they'll just move on to another epic fantasy. it'd be much smarter than trying to do a spinoff right away, if they seriously did that id lose all respect for the channel.
>>
>>71182354
In theory they aren't too different. Both thrive on subscriptions and not advertisers, the difference is Netflix floods the market with lots of cheap shows (quantity over quality) while HBO spends a fortune hoping dadrock: the show is somehow a big hit with millennials. The HBO name and expectations from it are probably their own worst enemy
>>
eastbound and down 2
>>
>>71177358
I'd be OK with that.
>>
srs question - how is HBO making "so much money" from GoT? Are people really subscribing that much more? I have to assume most people are pirating or watching free online, no? Do I just live in a bubble and most people actually pay for HBO?
>>
>>71182499
Artistic sense, not financial sense.
>>71182512
I only wish they'd kept to the S1-3 quality as its popularity grew.
>>
>>71182601
game of thrones is fucking huge, even if it made zero money during broadcasting it would make a profit on bluray sales alone
>>
>>71182601
I think he means the boxsets and the merchandise, anon.

I worked in an HMV (UK DVD store) and Waterstones (UK bookstore) and both the books, DVDs, posters, t-shirts, figurines, every fucking thing fly off the shelves like free heroin.
>>
>>71182779
Blu Rays as much as DVDs, I mean.
>>
should of made the dark tower series.
they are fucked big time.
>>
>>71182601

Blu-rays, subscriptions, marketing, licensing etc.

All those shirts, games, toys etc. is coin in HBO's purse.
>>
>>71182779

>Working at Waterstones
Lucky I've always wanted to work there or in a bookshop, tell me how it is and how patrician the staff were when it came to novels?
>>
id like hbo to do a good scifi show.
>>
New curb season for 9-13 weeks then it dies again
>>
>>71177086
>2016
>Still watching cable shows
>>
>>71182373
Silicon Valley is great
>>
>>71182946
I've worked in a fair few bookshops around London. The Waterstones staff are generally very well-read. I consider myself pretty catholic in my tastes but many of the old lags there were far ahead of me.

One of my colleagues had read a novel a week for about the last 30 years of his life and consequently could speak with expertise on practically every major literary figure, genre and subgenre in the past half a millennium.
>>
>>71182373

Give Silicon Valley a few episodes. It's hilarious.
>>
File: Tudor as fuck.jpg (283 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
Tudor as fuck.jpg
283 KB, 1280x853
>>71183109
Will pursue.
>>
They need to hit up Tom Hanks and make another WWII series
>>
>>71182016
East of West is too expensive.

HBO's parent company is Time Warner so they should be looking at Vertigo properties.

American Vampire or Denny O'Neil's run of the Question are probably good.
>>
File: robert-wuhl-2015.jpg (107 KB, 806x1000) Image search: [Google]
robert-wuhl-2015.jpg
107 KB, 806x1000
Missed him, huh?
>>
>>71183257
Why?

I saw this yesterday too with people crying that Vinyl was cancelled and no "true HBO" shows exist anymore. Why should HBO keep replicating 15 year old formulas and not try new things?
>>
>>71183570
Because WWII has a shitload of interesting narratives to tell that haven't been touched and it worked well with Band of Brothers and The Pacific so why the fuck not?
>>
>>71182499
how does anyone actually like this show?

the cg dragon scene was laughable. this show is a joke after season 2 3 tops
>>
>>71183495

East of West would be too expensive now that you mention and it could be a commercial failure on HBO's end if they try and replicate ASOIAF's success and don't forget all the expenses of making the buildings look as good as they do in the comic.

Astro City would be the shit though
>>
>>71182763
>people buy game of thrones blurays
What a world
>>
>>71183675
>how does anyone actually like this show?
>has seen every episode
>>
>>71183675
It's got tits, a mediaeval period feel, vulgarity, and a funny midget. That's all people need.
>>
>>71182601
They're making it by sending copyright notices to my ISP.
FUCK
>>
>>71177086
maybe if they start showing tales from the crypt again
>>
>>71183716

Carnivale had the same thing but in a dust bowl setting, why wasn't it as popular as GOT?
>>
>>71183716
there's barely any tits anymore
>>
>Home Box Office Presents

>Tales From The Crypt
>>
>>71183716
the tits have been shit
the vulgarity is written terribly as is the show. the midget isnt even funny anymore
>>
>>71183711
not voluntarily cant wait for it to end, i dont watch television shows.
>>
>>71183759
They showed Dany's tits for the first time in years a few episodes ago. Plus full frontal Melisandre in the first episode. That alone is enough to keep the horny teenagers watching. Shame they spend more time on the battle then the whores getting naked last episode.
>>
>>71183753
Because nobody but the elderly and people with mental heath diagnoses would voluntarily watch something about the fucking Dust Bowl.
>>
>>71179399
What ever happened to the S1 director (fuku-something-or-another)? He won the Emmy for director of a drama iirc, but then doesn't direct shit in S2. What were they thinking? Did he ask for a pay raise after his accolade?
>>
>>71183817
emilia clarke looks terrible. melissandre was tame
>>
>>71182388
Wew are you a rusemaster anon? Do you see people like so many pawns on the chessboard of life? Is existence merely a book you can read as you please?
>>
>>71182373
Not sure if I'm in the minority here, but SV is starting to fall flat for me. All the characters have really started to feel flanderized, but maybe that's just because they were never developing to begin with and after three seasons it's starting to show.
>>
>>71183778
The quality of the dialogue has dropped so much from the early seasons.

>>71183817
Shame they spend more time on the battle then the whores getting naked last episode
I'd rather they spent time on the battle than just tits. We can all find those on the internet.
>>
>>71183832
It's a ton of work to plan, shoot and edit 8 hours of content. That's why most shows alternate directors, one guy shoots an episode, edits it while another guy does the next. Fukunaga just declined to come back
>>
>>71181756
actually ridiculous the quality of the shows that are there

even arguably the worst of the bunch, Entourage would probably be one of the best things on HBO if it was on at the moment
>>
>>71183895
I feel the same, but it's more that too much of it is about this dramatically inert tech startup shit and not the banter and shenanigans of the first season.
>>
>>71183818
Very pleb of you to say. Dust Bowl is rife with themes that people could find attractive: plight of the poor, man v nature, looming depression, homebrewed music. Like, if I pitched you a period piece about ad execs in the 1960s, that could drum up the same dumb criticism that you just gave.
>>
So what is HBO going to do when GOT ends and they've got literally nothing to replace it?
>>
File: 1450888554691.png (561 KB, 535x439) Image search: [Google]
1450888554691.png
561 KB, 535x439
>we never got a HBO miniseries with Philip Seymour Hoffman

why live
>>
>>71184136
Make GoT spin-off shows
Adapt GoT wannabe books
>>
File: playinwithit.png (545 KB, 740x709) Image search: [Google]
playinwithit.png
545 KB, 740x709
>>71184136

There is nothing they can do. The show has turned to runny shit, but when it ends, it will leave such a black void that nothing will ever fill it.

Basically, HBO got BLACKED and there's no going back. The fallout will be bad for all involved, especially many of the actors who have no careers after it wraps.
>>
>>71183895

I think that they're all flanderized except for Richard. Richard has been developing a more aggressive attitude since the first season and he's way more confident and effective than he was then (minus the blunders).

The problem is that they keep writing these missteps into the show to keep them small and scrappy when what they should do is let them win and get to a decent size and start exploring all the shit that happens when you rapidly scale a company. There's so much in the start up process that is rife with humor but they're too afraid to let the company grow in size because they think that's what makes the show funny.
>>
>>71184312
The fact that after 3 years they're still working from a dining room table is annoying. It seems like so little has happened
>>
They should greenlight my TV-series, im just finishing the pilot's screenplay.
It could be "their" Breaking Bad.
>>
>>71184659

Exactly. Especially when there's hilarious stuff that happens in corporations all the time that they could start exploring. I was really hopeful that's where they were going with the "Action Jack" Barker stuff but then they cut the plot line off at the knees.

I think it really messed up their plans when Peter Gregory's actor died. I would've loved to watch Gregory and Belson fight out their billionaire bitchings through Pied Piper.
>>
American tv writing is worse than comics and video games so no.
>>
File: 1355528532562.jpg (54 KB, 388x380) Image search: [Google]
1355528532562.jpg
54 KB, 388x380
>tfw miss BoB
>>
>>71184137
Yes we did nigger it was called Empire Falls and it's amazing
>>
File: 1360152439724.jpg (111 KB, 976x548) Image search: [Google]
1360152439724.jpg
111 KB, 976x548
>>71185263
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.