[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This was fucking awful. All mystery and suspense was destroyed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3
File: share-og1.jpg (365 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
share-og1.jpg
365 KB, 1200x630
This was fucking awful.

All mystery and suspense was destroyed in the first 10 minutes when they showed the fucking witch tromping through the woods with the baby.

Or how about when Caleb was approaching the house in the woods? A good idea would have been to cut as Caleb drew near the door, with the spooky music in the background. Instead they showed the fucking witch again, this time as a hot chick. I get the whole "temptation" angle they were going for, but an attractive woman dressed like one of the prostitutes from Les Mes will never be creepy, ever.

Having to stop every 5 minutes to look at the subtitles because the actors were made to speak like Shakespeare characters didn't help, either.

Horror must be in an even worse state than I imagined if THIS is what gets so much praise.
>>
>>71158801
>Having to stop every 5 minutes to look at the subtitles because the actors were made to speak like Shakespeare characters didn't help, either.
Kill yourself, pleb.
>>
>>71158801

Do you like the taste of.... bait.
>>
>>71158801

Do people seriously complain about not understanding what they are saying? Is this a meme?

I had no trouble at all and I'm a retarded American.
>>
I should add that I thought they might pull something off with Black Philip in the end, but having him speak from completely offscreen ruined that thoroughly.

>>71158821

I highly doubt you were able to understand all the dialogue, assuming you were born in the 20th century.
>>
>>71158857
>I highly doubt you were able to understand all the dialogue, assuming you were born in the 20th century.
I was born in 1994 and I understood every word they said. Now kill yourself, you uneducated pleb.
>>
>>71158857

Oh thank god, you're just baiting. Thought you were serious at first.
>>
>>71158857
if you didn't feel any suspense or feeling of dread throughout the last 30 minutes you simply lack empathy
>>
>>71158913
>>71158843

>if you don't like this movie I like, you're just trolling.

Autism speaks.

>>71158929
>if you didn't feel any suspense or feeling of dread throughout the last 30 minutes you simply lack empathy

by that point it was 100% obvious that they weren't going to get away, so I felt like I was just waiting for the inevitable conclusion.
>>
>>71158975

>projection
>>
>>71158801
>This was fucking awful.
pleb

stopped reading here
>>
>>71158801
It was... ok. I felt a sense of dread for the first half of the movie, but for some reason I just lost interest completely past a certain point.

Maybe I should give it another shot, I dunno.
>>
>>71158975

If not bait your opinion is based on improper expectations of what you were going to see. It was never meant to be a mystery with an uncertain threat.

Also the first half of the film you are unsure what the fate of the family will be and the second half you see them turn on each other when being a loving family and trusting each other and working together might have saved them. The horror comes from within and outside.

After the collapse of the family unit the question isn't will the family love (they won't) the question is what will happen to Thomasin.
>>
>>71159214
>Also the first half of the film you are unsure what the fate of the family will be and the second half you see them turn on each other when being a loving family and trusting each other and working together might have saved them. The horror comes from within and outside.

As soon as they showed the witch in the first 10 minutes the fate of the characters was sealed. One podunk family was never going to have a chance against a real witch that can steal babies silently from a hundred feet away.
>>
If we took a strawpole I would guarantee that 90% of the people that didn't like this are under the age of 25
>>
>>71159359

They could have ran away simply back to town but instead of believing that a witch was there they turned and believed a witch was a family member when believing the kids about various things would have signaled it was time to leave.
>>
>>71159413

When have you EVER seen a horror film that had the characters decide

>ok shit's fucked but we'll leave first thing in the morning! hope nothing bad happens tonight guys!!!!

and then actually had them get away?

It's trope as old as dirt.
>>
>>71159508

This is not a typical horror movie. Of course they were never going to leave but the way it was done (Pride and suspicion) was well executed. And like i said. The fate of Thomasin was undetermined either way so you are invested in what happens to her.
>>
>>71158850
Maybe my copy just had shit sound? It literally sounded like everyone was mumbling through a rag, worse than a typical cam rip.
>>
I don't think so. That whole ambiguity thing is dumb and doesn't add to this story. Like in The Conjuring they immediately show that the spirit does exist. No bullshit.

The difference is, The Witch had actual characters, and constant tension in almost every scene. Even little things like the silver cup brings a little to the table in "quieter" scenes. The Conjuring is wanking around and screaming at moving tables for 60 minutes.
>>
>>71158801
i was scared
>>
Depending on how old you are you are really supposed to empathize with the father, William.

He is a man trying to make his family start anew and prosper and everything he tries fails. It isn't even by incompetence, the witch is the one causing most of his problems and the one trying to tear his family apart. He is overall a decent, religious man who is forced to watch his family disintegrate before his eyes
>>
>>71159936
See I disagree. I see the father is being punished for many reasons

Lying many times, letting his daughter take the blame, refusing to go back to town

He even admits all his wrong doings right before he dies

Thomasin on the other hand is the last one, she had to watch her whole family turn on her and she didn't do nothing wrong
Father accused her of being a witch, twins blamed her for their actions, mother tried to kill her, Caleb was pretty chill
>>
>>71159872
you are a pleb, and probably aren't too bright.
>>
>>71159794
This.The Conjuring is literally wank screaming for half the movie.
>>
>muh suspense
>muh jump scares

end your life
>>
>>71158801

Oh no a creative film maker bypassed the established rules of film making! How dare he be a visionary! He sureley must be purged! Conform! Conform! No free will! No creativity! Soviet style Stalinism!
>>
>>71158801
You're one stupid cunt.
>>
File: Thomasin.png (787 KB, 1792x1080) Image search: [Google]
Thomasin.png
787 KB, 1792x1080
I watched it for the first time last night. Here are some notes I took on why it wasn't fulfilling.

>Positives:
>Caleb's death. Little sinner kept sneaking peeks at his sister's cleavage, his death is due to lusting over a succubus witch.
>It looked pretty. It had a nice adult male lead. They followed a strict moral code.
>It had a nice little touch of Crucible style witchhunt accusations. It was tense in a good number of scenes.

>Negatives:
>Thomasin felt like a plot device rather than a character. Very little story. Everything's kept vague with her in order to make you question "Is she the witch?" "Strange things seem to happen when she's asleep/knocked out, maybe there's a connection."
>Thomasin wasn't questioning the baby's abduction as much as Caleb was (another way to make the question wonder if she's actually a witch). The father got over it quickly, but that's what a father had to do in those times; worry about the present and keep the family strong.
>Thomasin killed her mother, lay there silent, then takes a nap at the table.
>She wakes up and decides to try talking to a goat.
>This could have been due to lack of options.
>"Return to village, tell her story, get called a witch anyway"
>Thomasin's lack of reaction to the events around her left me confused, and the events that followed it didn't mesh with her actions.

I think it was a mixture of poor writing for her character and inexperienced acting. You don't turn to witchcraft that easily. She had no proper cause.
>>
>>71158857
I'm Italian and understood most of it without subtitles
>>
>>71161341
I think that's what makes the movie so great
It doesn't fill you in on every little thing
Since its a "folklore" it lets you the viewer fill in what you think it is

I guess the hints are that Thomasin is a witch are maybe she is just confused and vulnerable now that her whole family is gone
>>
>sell your soul to the devil for butter and a pretty dress

why she do dis
>>
>>71161549
Being vague in movies is great when done correctly. Don't Blink does that very well. But the whole movie felt too much like a back and forth of events of
>"She could be the witch!"
>"Okay, now it doesn't seem likely."
>"Why would she do that, that seems witchy!"
>"Okay, nevermind, she's just a normal teen girl."

Only for it to conclude with:
>"The people I've spent my whole life around have all fallen one by one, then I killed my mother in self defense, after I lay in a cold blooded silence I'm going to calmly take a nap, then try talking to a goat. Wait! I don't want to sign a pact with the Devil, I think... well, okay I guess."

That was just lame. None of that felt like a serious human reaction to anything that transpired. You could claim magical influence, but for it to be that invisible and in the background makes it an easy way to be lazy. She could have screamed, wept, mourned, shown regret, attempted revivals, attempt an escape to town.

The ending really makes me not buy into any "invisible forces" when we're so clearly shown the coven of witches and their explicit magical abilities. You can't pass off certain things as "open to interpretation, then shove magic right into our faces. We knew from the very beginning that there were crazy women in the forest, supernatural or not. It was the talking goat and rituals that cemented it all, shooting down any possible realistic explanations.
>>
>>71158801

It is important to know, that people don't want "new" and "original". They want more of the same. And this is why movies about evil dolls is such a hit right now. Don't ever try to even have an original thought in your ind. Just do as everyone else does, and you will be golden!

Never improve!
>>
I like the theory that the rotten crops gave them all ergotism, would explain most of the things that happened, assuming all the witch scenes were either imagination, dreams, or hallucinations
>>
>>71161974
>The ending really makes me not buy into any "invisible forces" when we're so clearly shown the coven of witches and their explicit magical abilities. You can't pass off certain things as "open to interpretation, then shove magic right into our faces. We knew from the very beginning that there were crazy women in the forest, supernatural or not. It was the talking goat and rituals that cemented it all, shooting down any possible realistic explanations.

I never for one second actually thought Thomasin was a witch. They fucking showed the witch immediately after she takes the baby running through the woods with it.

End of ambiguity. There's a witch, and she has has special powers. The end.

The rest was just waiting for her to destroy the family.

>>71162083
>>It is important to know, that people don't want "new" and "original". They want more of the same. And this is why movies about evil dolls is such a hit right now. Don't ever try to even have an original thought in your ind. Just do as everyone else does, and you will be golden!

There was nothing new or original about hag witches terrorizing a colonial family.
>>
>>71161882
Being Puritans would be shit
Devil is way more fun
I'd sell my soul to fly with naked bitches
>>
>>71158801
>A good idea

HAHAHAHA
>>
>>71162088
Watching the movie for the second time with this in mind made it way better desu
>>
>>71162138
>the witch
That's just it, there wasn't just "THE" witch. There were witches. Seeing a witch didn't absolve her. Thomasin could have been approached already, or in some way involved with the witches.
>>
>actually watching The Witch
you got memed nigga
>>
>>71158801
A fucking waste of money through and through. Nothing was actually ever scary and it felt like a chore just watching it.
>>
>>71161974
I thoguht it was pretty clear she WASNT' a witch. What made the plot interesting was her religious father assuming she was. That was an exciting conflict. It was never ambiguous, but it played on this puritan fear.
>>
File: 1462912012411.jpg (188 KB, 2500x1875) Image search: [Google]
1462912012411.jpg
188 KB, 2500x1875
>>71158801
>This was fucking awful.
t. embryo
I bet you didn't even get the theological reference in 'Thomas' sin'
>>
>>71162499
It was noted at some point in the movie that certain witches only appear when their corporeal body is asleep, so their spirits can cause havoc. There were a few key events that occurred while Thomasin was asleep.

But that's not the big issue. Her father extremely tolerant as far as people in those times, perhaps even as far as people go today. His son goes missing, Thomasin goes into the wood with him (Again for NO reason. She's not helping hunting. She's just a curious idiot who's going to slow down the process), she comes back and the son is missing. Son shows up later naked, covered in wounds, and Thomasin is the one to discover him.

That warrants suspicion. And the worst she got was a night locked up in a coop with her two younger siblings. The father pleaded that she tell the truth, and that they could pray the evil out of her if it was so. If he tested her the way he tested the children's bullshit trances, I think he would have believed her.
>>
>>71158801
I disagree with you completely.
You complain about the Witch being an attractive woman, but witches being alluring and deceitful has always been part of the tale. Also, while I agree the visual for the scene wasn't creepy, it's not supposed to be. What's creepy is the concept of a witch seducing a child and taking him in to do whatever your imagination warrants.

I will say that the ending was fucking dumb, with all of them floating and shit. But I think the rest of the movie did what it needed to.
>>
>>71158801
Pleb

Also,
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1t9cxzrjAE8uTTYCpko_BugNhGeGv9OWlDLZJN3TF2IA/viewform#responses
>>
>>71158801

>muh witch
>muh goat
>muh bible
>muh satan
>muh damned

Such an epic and scary movie yo.
>>
>>71162902
>sign into your google account
hello FBI!
>>
>>71163097
I'm not fbi
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.