[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you create a World War 1 horror movie, /tv/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 11
File: ww1machingegunners.jpg (28 KB, 480x317) Image search: [Google]
ww1machingegunners.jpg
28 KB, 480x317
How would you create a World War 1 horror movie, /tv/?
>>
Nazis as the bad guys
>>
Mustard gas hijinks.
>>
File: 220px-Deathwatch_film.jpg (24 KB, 220x302) Image search: [Google]
220px-Deathwatch_film.jpg
24 KB, 220x302
>>71158438
It's called Deathwatch. It's pretty good
>>
>>71158536
How so? Perhaps ghosts/specters arising from the gas? Or would you just show people getting fucked up from the gas? Or both?
>>
>>71158558
Although I haven't seen it since I was 13*
>>
>>71158597
The latter. Real time first use of the stuff. Being as graphic & horrifying as possible. The effects on a division over the period of a day perhaps.
>>
>>71158558
neat, I was gonna be surprised if nobody had took advantage of WW1 for a horror film
>>
>>71158438
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crucified_Soldier
this plus angry ghosts, writes itself.
>>
>>71158438

depict it as it was actually fought.
>>
>>71158438
I wouldn't do a strictly horror movie, I would do something something more like a Psychological Thriller

Abusive Officers, Horrors of War, Shell shocked main character, and then add "monsters" or "spirits" that may or may not be hallucinations from shell shock
>>
File: boo.gif (782 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
boo.gif
782 KB, 500x500
>>71158438
>Soldier goes over the trench
>gets wounded in the first few minutes
>can barely move
>has to gradually crawl back to his own trench over the course of the movie while encountering all sorts of horrible shit
>bombardment
>corpses everywhere
>bullets
I dunno

Alternatively...
>soldier gets maimed, loses all limbs
>spooky shit going on in hospital?
>soldier next to him has limbs but he is blinded and also disfigured
>the two have to somehow survive together

I'm sorry if these are trite ideas.
>>
>>71159126
Oh shit, I actually really like that second idea. Although it wouldn't necessarily have to be WW1
>>
>>71159126
>>71159201
What would the hospital spook be? An actual ghost? Psychotic patient? A nurse?
>>
>>71158438
A French trench position is attacked by a stormtrooper force during the night and the film centres on a Squad/Section trying to hold out and survive till a re-enforcement division arrives at dawn. The German stormtroopers will use trench clubs/knives and wear gas masks. They fighting can take place in the underground tunnels as well as conventional trench warfare locations.

Claustrophobia will be pronounced throughout the film by the used of gas masks to restrict breathing/vision and narrow trenches to limit the effectiveness of long rifles and emphasise melee combat.
>>
>>71159484
Sorry for the bad spelling, english is not my first language.
>>
There would be no real supernatural forces at work but it would focus on an isolated trench battle wherein both sides are cut off from reinforcement and they are barraged daily by enemy assaults and attacks that must be repelled as the soldiers slowly succumb to PTSD and mania by lack of sleep and constant turmoil and fighting. Soldiers start to hallucinate enemies that aren't there and in the end the greatest enemy in the script is the unpredictable nature of a shattered mind.
>>
coming up with horror movies was one of my favorite things to do with my best friend as kids
>>
>>71159403
I feel like ghost would be best. I want to see some sort of mustard gas spirit/ghost thing.
>>
the red baron is dracula
>>
>>71159631
So simple yet so effective
>>
>>71159484
Sounds pretty good Anon.
>>
File: 500full-poster.jpg (96 KB, 500x273) Image search: [Google]
500full-poster.jpg
96 KB, 500x273
>>71158438
Expand this short
>>
File: 436333.png (1 MB, 1137x837) Image search: [Google]
436333.png
1 MB, 1137x837
>Battle of Verdun
>Hand-to-hand trench warfare
>German soldier mumbles "Blood for the blood god!" before caving in a French soldiers head with a spade.

This has literally happened in a warhammer 40,000 book. Dark Gods were at work in WW1.
>>
Soldiers crashland on a Pacific Zombie Island
>>
File: 1454203500712.png (188 KB, 827x807) Image search: [Google]
1454203500712.png
188 KB, 827x807
>>71159697
>Heavy Metal

excellent taste anon
>>
stiched together from human flesh, a sentient frankenstein zeppelin has mother issues

directed by rob zombie
>>
No surprise All Quiet on the Western Front has yet to be mentioned
>>
>>71158438
Thanks for the prompt OP, it's refreshing to get a real convo going instead of capeshit and got all day.
>>
>>71159697

what's the short?
>>
>>71160026
B-17 Segment from Heavy Metal
>>
>>71159484
>stormtroopers
get your star wars scify bullshit out of this!
>>
>>71160063

cool, looks like Dan O'Bannon wrote that one
>>
>>71159484
I would definitely shell out $14 for that.
>>
It's penis inspection day back at the barracks.
>>
>>71160075
3/10, here's a (you)
>>
>>71160137
kek
>>
>>71160137
>Sorry John, you've got trenchcock. Try keeping the bums you use dry and change them every 8 hours.
>>
they should make a movie about those japs who got routed by american troops in WW2 in the pacific....I think in Burma, they got forced to retreat into the swamps and like 90% of them were eaten by crocodiles.
>>
What about a Frankenstein approach to it you know dark science at work.
Could be kinda like a sequel like Dean Koontz Frankenstein novels set after the events of the original.
>>
Why isn't there a movie about the Japanese soldiers who didn't know the war had ended and carried on fighting into the 70's?
>>
>>71158735
This.
>>
Literally the only reason I can think of as to why there aren't more WWI movies as compared to WWII movies is because the Jews weren't heavily involved.

I respect the Jews, WWII should have many movies about it, but seriously why not the war to end all wars?

Certainly as a modern war drama it would be more brutal and even the ethics of it were more clouded. That all makes for a better movie.

I hate hollywood so much.

You would even have more clashes of technology . Hell some people in WWI even rode horses into battle
>>
File: deathwatch-2002-mud-corpse.png (204 KB, 688x288) Image search: [Google]
deathwatch-2002-mud-corpse.png
204 KB, 688x288
Show the things that were day to day occurrences.
>>
>>71161557
Amazingly that pic is from this movie >>71158558
>>
>>71161410
Hollywood is interested in making money on half arsed remakes and animated fish .
The BBC makes pretty good stuff in this area.
Could always make a movie about koudasheva ?
>>
>>71161410

There aren't that many WWII films anymore either. It's got fuck all to do with the jews. They churned out films about it in the 50s 60s since it was in recent living memory and a good fit for an easy good bad guy narrative.

WWI was a black hole in the history of Europe that no one wanted to remember.

Also murica wasn't as heavily involved. In fact that's probably the main reason.
>>
>>71161625

I know, I love that film.
>>
>>71161685
They were involved in the last year of the war when the Germans sunk a frigate the only other country on the same side as America that was involved was the Dominion of Canada since it still held ties to Britain.
>>
>>71161032
>Dean Koontz
my nigga
>>
File: Viet Cong.png (145 KB, 450x258) Image search: [Google]
Viet Cong.png
145 KB, 450x258
Viet Nam horror, Vietcong POV.

A Viet Cong squad is currently resting in a deep web of underground tunnels. A US marine gets in and starts gradually killing everybody.

Vietcongs have been ordered to defend the perimeter, but the underground network is too complex and vast to guard properly and ultimately they will all be slain mercilessly by this god of war.

The last 3 ones decide to desert, but they will get murdered regardless in the surrounding woods.
>>
>>71161820

I don't understand your meaning? Yes the Americans were involved after the sinking of the Lusitania but it doesn't compare to their involvement in WWI and potential American-centric film storylines, on the same side as America? What the same side of the Atlantic? The same side as in the allies? Because several South American countries were.
>>
>>71162147

Compare to their involvement in WWII that is.
>>
>>71162145
Hollywood would never allow it
>>
>>71158438

It's horrifying enough as it is, any attempts would just be artificial and diminishing
>>
File: rpoint.jpg (66 KB, 700x370) Image search: [Google]
rpoint.jpg
66 KB, 700x370
>>71162145

We need more Vietnam horror or military horror in generally, it's always spooky.
>>
>>71158558
This movie was actually pretty disturbing. Would not watch alone in the dark.
>>
>>71162147
I meant the same side of the Atlantic as the Americans. also did anyone else read about himler trying to get Mexico into the war first world war as well ?
>>
>>71162356

It was Arthur Zimmermann the German Foreign Secretary.
>>
>>71162356
Not Himler, but you are correct that the Germans did attempt that. Tried to convince them they'd help them get back the land they lost to US.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimmermann_Telegram
>>
I would just show legitimate WW1 footage for 90 minutes
>>
>>71162356
Actually I made a mistake it was Arthur Zimmerman that tried to get Mexico into the first world war.
>>
File: 2.jpg (127 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
127 KB, 620x387
>>71162145

World War 1. Everything is set in a small village in Afghanistan, where most men (about 400 of them) join the Jihad against Germany, leaving their village completely vulnerable against incursions.

This is obviously no easy choice, but everybody agree to the cause (these guys are true believers).

After 1 month a band of raiders discovers that the village was completely defenseless. They decide to occupy it and proceed to enstablish a martial govern in the region.

Women are sistematically raped, some of them are killed for fun, and obviously all of them are forced to work in miserable conditions.
Apparently the whole village manage to give a privileged position to the oldest woman in the village: nobody will try to beat, rape, enslave or kill her as long as the rest of the village keeps mantaining the status quo.

From then on we follow the old lady POV.
After 2 weeks the prospect of such a life makes everything crumble. Women try to free themselves: some of them try to run away, other ones try to incite insurrections. Nothing works.

The untouched old lady is increasingly paranoid about the whole situation. A rebellion is about to burst in the village and the old lady can only think about how she will be made an example of if that happens.

And it happens.
The old lady is stoned to death, any undisciplined woman is lynched. The few survivors keep living a miserable, horrible life.

After 2 years only 10 of the original 400 Jihadists come back. They get beaten to death with clubs, while the women watch their last hope diying horribly.

Dunno if these things are good, I'm kinda high right now
>>
>>71158438
Guys like this taking cover inside a trench with their buddies.

Starts out as a regular war movie.

As the soldiers are killed off, the atmosphere and mood becomes increasingly horror-ish and dark (even moreso than the actual source material).

The last survivors dig deeper into the trenches looking for a way out of No Man's Land.

The effects of the poisonous gases and trenchfoot bring down the last surviving soldiers into a dark dreamland and beyond.
>>
>>71162471
Yah I noticed my mistake, but you beat me to the punch..
>>
>>71162261
what movie?
>>
>>71158735
>>71162248
>>71162514

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Pd527GN48
>>
>>71162660

R-Point.
>>
>>71158735
yeah, this
WW1 realism is probably scarier than anything put to screen. It'd be impossible to do especially since so much technology was new
most soldiers had never seen
>planes
>gas
>machines guns
imagine never knowing any of this shit existed and then fighting in it
>>
Make it paranormal, have a soldier that just goes absolutely bonkers from shellshock and he starts to see more and more crazy shit, ghosts of dead soldiers, visions of his death over and over, crazy shit like that
>>
>>71162928

It's not like they didn't know machine guns or planes were a thing. There just hadn't been a large scale European war before they were common.
>>
>>71162922
>>71162261

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDwSC0U-oDY

Based.
>>
>>71162670
Well that was terrifying...
>>
Lets make thing interesting.

Pitch a WWI horror movie that is directed by ____Zack Snyder__
>>
Shit mustve looked like the apocalypse to those soldiers

>nothing but destroyed earth, barbed wire, rotting corpses of man and horse as far as the eye can see
>giant zepplins on the horizon
>constant bombardment
>gassing you like insects
>when the whistle is blown you have to go up and over or be killed by your commanding officer
>>
>>71163273

Surely you mean giant zeppelins burning on the ground because they were shit and got shot down whenever they supported ground troops.
>>
>>71158558
I liked it. Be kind, or barbed wire will come alive and sodomize you.
>>
>>71158438

World War 1 was basically hell on earth.

!9th century tactics and 20th century weaponry, what a clusterfuck.
>>
>>71163273
Dont forget massive craters everywhere, some as deep as 20 feet filled with rotting corpses and water that was poisoned from gasses. In some areas the ground was also so muddy that soldiers would get sucked up and you'd watch as you friends were swallowed by this ground, if you went after them you'd get sucked up as well. At night you'd here the screams of soldiers trapped in artillery craters or in holes and they weren't able to escape, if you tried to rescue them you'd probably get stuck or shot. Sometimes the soldiers wouldn't shoot at each other at night just to give a chance to the other side to go out and mercy kill their own wounded, soldiers were actually shown how to kill their comrades with mercy because they'd have to do it a lot.
>>
>>71158735
Yeah this.

WWI was a horror movie.
>>
>>71163347
that + being in the navy on a cruiser and knowing that this thing you are standing on doesnt have enough armor to protect the ammunition stores from instantly exploding the entire ship from a single shot mustve been the scariest thing imaginable
>>
Some inspiration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ArflgRec7o
>>
>>71163505

Imagine being at Jutland, over 200 ships hammering away at each other. The dick swinging Bongs brought 28 battleships, 28 fucking battleships.
>>
>>71158438
>Step 1: make a World War 1 film

Done
>>
WWI following Adolf Hitler's service during the war and him witnessing the true evil of the Juden that provoked his rise to power so he could exterminate the evil.

Don't actually name him though, keep his identity vague until the end and don't make the 'demons' turbo-jewish, just kind of hint at it subtly so only those paying real close attention would catch on.
>>
watch the Korean horror film 'R-Point'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-Point

A movie about the vietnam war.
>>
>>71163745
But Hitler's job in WWI was a mail runner and all of his bitching about Jews had to do with what they were doing back in Germany and not in the actual warfare.
>>
>>71163923
It's a fictional horror movie, and maybe a comedy.

You don't see many Horror Comedies do you?
>>
>>71159697
That's WW2 bruh.
>>
>>71163960
I've seen enough to know that they're usually terrible and making one about fucking WW1 of all things would be abysmal.
>>
Mutant Chronicles anyone?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efBJKwjK7bk
It's been years since I saw it and I was like 14 at the time so my judgement might be skewed but I remember the opening being pretty awesome.
My own idea would pretty similar though I haven't really worked out anything: Opening is some gypsies being massacred and buried somewhere in France but they place curse on their graves for anyone that disturbs them. Years later WWI happens and their graves are blasted open by artillery and Germans and French have to team up to fight Dead Space esc Necromorphs in the fog.
So basically just the Mutant Chronicles opening stretched into an entire movie and not into some fantasy adventure schlock.
>>
File: Four_366th_Infantry_officers.gif (81 KB, 600x447) Image search: [Google]
Four_366th_Infantry_officers.gif
81 KB, 600x447
World War 1.

Four african american brothers enlist in the army.

After a family dinner they go to sleep knowing that in a week they'll be deployed in France.
From now on the movie is divided in 4 acts, in wich each of them experience a traumatic part of war: marching into machineguns; getting gassed to death, dying slowly; extremely poor hygiene in the trench, and all the illnesses and wound infections that spawns from it; suffering shell shock syndrome back home.
>>
Band of brothers style miniseries following a soldier from each country or a large amount. One Aussie in Turkey, a Canadian at Vimy, a French soldier at the Somme, German during the 100 days offensive and a Brit during Passchendale or something like that.
>>
>>71163923
Well a big part of it was the supposed "grand betrayal" where some German jews told England all they had to do to the win the war that they were losing badly was to bring in the US.
>>
>>71163026
yeah but you still dont understand. they would have just read about them or heard people talk about them. they didn't films with sound or the internet to show them the experience of it
the sounds would have been new, the amount of carnage would have been unimaginable
>>
>>71159403
The spookiness is a byproduct of the protagonist being shellshocked.
>>
I keep feeling something surreal and lovecraftian.

movie has a fairly contemporary feeling towards the beginning, even some humor...think Ravenous, but WWI.

reality distorting the farther into no-mans-land the MC pushes. Nobody knows why or even what the fuck they're doing anymore...they just keep pushing forwards, compelled to die or spill blood. There are the chosen few whom this terror speaks too on a personal level, but they are stricken mad. MC comes to understand where he was was indeed the end times, somewhere in-between worlds, but for the right price in blood it can be avoided.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.