[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Blood Meridian or the Evening of Redness in the West
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 15
File: Blood Meridian.jpg (23 KB, 389x600) Image search: [Google]
Blood Meridian.jpg
23 KB, 389x600
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0983189/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Who should play The Judge in the inevitable movie? It looks like Russell Crow is written in for the part, but do you guys really think he could pull it off.

As much as I would like to see "Blood Meridian" as a movie I think that the image of The Judge created by the reader will always surpass whoever they can find to play him, unless someone exceptional is found.

What do you think /tv/?
>>
So tired of this shit thread. No one on this board ever knows shit about McCarthy, or casting, or even filmmaking half the time.
>>
>>71147538
who should play Judge Holden?
John Malkovich.

/thread
>>
The book is to expansive for a movie
make it a miniseries or tv show
>>
>>71147538
Tom Hardy
>>
File: Manlet.png (58 KB, 642x206) Image search: [Google]
Manlet.png
58 KB, 642x206
>>71147634
Right....
>>
>>71147566
>>71147634
case in point
>>
>>71147634
nah, i'd rather see Hardy as Glanton or even Toadvine, if he thinned himself out some like in Band of Brothers, than Judge. i don't buy Hardy's acting madness. someone like Malkovich or a young Rutger Hauer are more in tune to what makes the Judge frightening. hell, if Mickey Rourke hadn't fucked up his face even more recently, i'd take him over Hardy.
>>
>>71147538
not this meme author again
>>
File: n1eDwCt.gif (3 MB, 459x346) Image search: [Google]
n1eDwCt.gif
3 MB, 459x346
brian cranston XD

Seriously though, maybe this guy
>>
>>71147538
Should I read this?
>>
>>71149944
yes, it's a seminal work of literature from the previous century.
>>
>>71150963
Alrighty.
>>
File: BM 3.jpg (4 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
BM 3.jpg
4 KB, 300x168
>movie
>not a true detective sort of filmic tv series with exactly as many episodes as necessary to deliver the story

Dead. On. Arrival.
>>
File: wew.jpg (45 KB, 587x561) Image search: [Google]
wew.jpg
45 KB, 587x561
D'Onofrio is obviously playing the judge, if this info is correct. Crow would be terrible for the judge. He might be a good Glanton.

Wonder if Franco is actually doing this though, I know he wants to.
>>
Vincent D'onofrio

He'll need to lose about 30lbs though.
>>
>>71151372
>Franco fucked up Child of God and Faulkner and now he's going to try at one of the golden crowns of literature

Just put the pillow on my head and pull the trigger.
>>
>>71151372
>james franco

Well, its a shitty book, so there isn't much the director could do to make it worse.
>>
>>71151372
>franco as director

No no no no no

His proof of concept was an abortion wrapped in dogshit

D'nofrio is a perfect Judge though
>>
>>71147538
judge should be played by that kingpin in the daredevil tv series
>>
>>71149944
I am reading it at the moment and it is hella fucking epic

The casting choices here are fucking atrocious, Holden is a huge (tall not fat) pale bald guy who is intellectual with a streak of edgy teenager
>>
>>71147538

It would have to be a TV mini-series if it wants to be anywhere near true to the book. The book has been called unfilmable for many reasons, but the most prominent reason being the gratuitous violence which is depicted. There's shit in BM that would never make it past MPAA; child rape, baby murder (Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones), murder of retards, gratuitous (read: constant) nudity, etc. etc. etc.

To top it off, BM really doesn't have a great plot. That's not what the novel is about. It's really a reflection on war, violence, and sin. This will be DoA. There's a reason it's been tossed around Hollywood for over a decade now.
>>
>>71151372
Crowe would be a good Glanton
>>
>>71151808
>Holden is a huge (tall not fat)
it's been a while since i read it but i seem to remember that the judge was huge in more ways than just height. like chubby, shaved bear mode.
>>
>>71151808
>Holden is a huge (tall not fat)

You do realize that the Judge is suppose to be fat as all fuck right? He is deliberately meant to resemble Moby-Dick, both in appearance and idea. McCarthy essentially wanted to have a character who was the personification of Moby-Dick and give him words, hence, the Judge.
>>
>>71151827
I would propose John Hillcoat.
He made a good stab at The Road and he already has made an atmospheric western with The Proposition.
>>
File: apocalypse-now.jpg (225 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
apocalypse-now.jpg
225 KB, 1024x768
The only man fit to play the Judge is already dead.
>>
>>71147566
*spits*

I reckon your opinion is as dry and opine as the dusty silica mesa dry as a bone but bereft of the inner waters that permeate the place and the very air of the land itself, invisible and impermeable beyond all known mens reckoning and hidden until the days of call when men will be judged by the inevitable obsidian God.
>>
>>71147538
I really wish they don't even try to adapt that to a movie. Muh soul and heart couldn't take it
>>
File: IC2003.jpg (5 KB, 180x86) Image search: [Google]
IC2003.jpg
5 KB, 180x86
LEAVE BLOOD MERIDIAN ALONE
>>
>>71151912
>McCarthy essentially wanted to have a character who was the personification of Moby-Dick and give him words, hence, the Judge.
source?
>>
>>71151952

Hillcoat would be my number 1 choice as well. The Proposition was shockingly close to Blood Meridian, both in aesthetic and theme.

Actually, based Mel could do this novel justice...too bad that will never happen.
>>
>>71151372

that got cancelled forever ago, thank fuck

deadline.com/2016/05/russell-crowe-james-franco-to-direct-cormac-mccarthy-blood-meridian-cannes-1201749735/
>>
>>71151912
I always imagined him as both. Tall and maybe not fat but bigger.
>>
>>71152080
Maybe from the fucking fact that the entire description of Judge is like Mobdy Dick Like HOLY SHIT nigger have you fucking opened Blood Meridian and read it JESUS CHRIST

The Judge is the book, and the Judge is, short of Moby Dick, the most monstrous apparition in all of American lit. The Judge is violence incarnate. The Judge stands for incessant warfare for its own sake.
>>
>>71151976
we wuz God and shit
>>
File: rr .jpg (24 KB, 632x233) Image search: [Google]
rr .jpg
24 KB, 632x233
Ford could've done it.

Now I don't want anyone to do it.
>>
>>71151912
could be he's made to represent several characters from moby dick actually. ahab for example, with his way of speaking and lack of scruples. both sees war as inevitable as well, some scholars have pointed out.
>>
Judge: Hugo Weaving
Kid: Dane DeHaan
>>
>>71152163
oh so you're just guessing.

very well.

also calm down.
>>
Blood Meridian is no unfilmable. You don't need the violence. You don't even need the literal Judge as a character (a difficult casting choice indeed)....this book and story is about more than Ultra Violence and more than some gnostic archon or demigod in the personhood of The Judge. You people think way too fucking literal, DDL would make an excellent Judge.

>>71147630
lol yuck awful

>>71151827
>TV mini-series

Kill yourself, that would fucking suck.

>>71151912
Nah, you're wrong.

>>71152098
Mel was my choice as well, but I'm not sure he is as artistically inclined and capable.
>>
>>71152296
>Harold Bloom
>'guessing'
Okay :DDDD
>>
>>71152121
>>71152163

A good actor for the judge would be the fat dad from rosanne and O Brother Where Art Thou.

They could use LOTR esque camera tricks to make him look taller (I think the actor is like 6')
>>
>>71152238
Glanton is Ahab. There's no equivalent to The Judge in Moby Dick, other than the madness compelling Ahab forward.
>>
>>71152316
The point of violence in the book is to grow you accustomed to it, to overwhelm you with and then desensitize you to it.

That's what has happened with violence in US of A and its culture.
>>
>>71152382
yeah i think he's closer to ahab than moby dick.
>>
File: ugh.jpg (91 KB, 761x525) Image search: [Google]
ugh.jpg
91 KB, 761x525
>"yeah scott just glower into the camera."
>"ah yeah this is so kubrick."
>"hey get the second unit to take over im gonna go jerk off to Spiderman 2 in my trailer."

How does McCarthy get top tier directors of all time (Ridley Scott, John Hillcoat, fucking Coen Brothers) and also have this fucking delusional fanboy trying to adapt all his shit?

I hope it bombs hard so somebody else can try.
>>
>>71152326
that's nice anon
>>
>>71151963
This. He would have been perfect.
>>
>>71152113
Good, Franco ruined Child of God, that movie was such a piece of shit and that book was so much more straightforward than Blood Meridian.
>>
The actor only needs to act, you can make him look however you want with practical effects.
>>
>>71152386
That's a book, this is a movie. Totally different things. A lot of you kids seem to want this movie to exist just to see indians splattered across the screen for 3 hours, much like those people who want to see a movie about the Siege of tenochtitlan. Blood Meridian has a lot more going for it than babies heads being bashed against rocks, or Bathcat hanging from a tree by his heels. If you want mindless spectacle please look elsewhere, Meridian is a work of poetry and intellect.
>>
Just wanted to say that these threads actually made me read the book :^)
If anyone is considering it, just do it
Could The Beef be the Kid?
>>
Have it in Spanish by an all latino cast and ill pay for it other wise go fuck yerselves
>>
>>71151976

This is a shit attempt at McCarthy fan-fiction.
>>
>>71152542
The violence isn't mindless in the novel, and is essential to the novel, and if you don't adapt it to the film, then why adapt it at all since it is essential part of the source material? Showing the extent of degeneracy USA has enforced upon other countries
>>
>>71151644
>Vincent D'Onofrio

My thought exactly.
>>
>been in development since 2007
>dead in 2016, because "the filmmakers had not yet secured rights to the novel"
wew
>>
>>71152414
How is The Judge like Ahab exactly, or in any way?
>>
>>71152614
That's quite the cart before the horse type situation.
>>
>>71152587
>The violence isn't mindless in the novel
Never said it was.

>and is essential to the novel
Definitely agree with you there.

>why adapt it all
Did you even read the fucking book? Get out of here kid.

>Showing the extent of degeneracy USA has enforced upon other countries
Oh, I guess you didn't since this isn't the point of the book whatsoever.
>>
i wish i was rich and influential enough to buy the rights to blood meridian so i could prevent there ever being a movie made of it
>>
>>71152666
The book has multiple narratives and one of them is commentary of USA's colonialism to which war was essential.
>>
File: 5616.jpg (35 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
5616.jpg
35 KB, 620x372
The one and only.

Revenant on steroids.
>>
>>71152705
Pfff, maybe one of the lesser and weaker narratives, if it even exists, which I find dubious. the American colonialism, which these men have NOTHING TO DO WITH, is basically a means for this story to be told.

I'm pretty sure you're laboring under the idea that these guys were working for the American government, and o I am laffin

And the mexicans and natives are shown to be many, MANY times more barbaric and brutal than any American agent in this book, so o i am laffin x2
>>
>>71152792
That's not Emmanual Lubezki
>>
>>71152705
The book has a singular narrative. Its that human beings are naturally going to be violent, regardless of the time period.

Did you even read the prologue?
>>
>>71152823
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgyZ4ia25gg

Listen both parts.
>>
why did cormac decide to write a small description of the chapters as an introduction to them?
>>
>>71147538
I need to read this book again before it's ruined forever.
>>
>>71152872
How do you miss the point of the book so hard, that's the lie it is mocking, it proposes 'so if this was true, this would happen, and that'd be ridiculous'. It even goes ham with judge dancing because it's such a meme.
>>
>>71152900
That's how novellas and such were written back in the mid-to-late 1800s I believe
>>
File: ellis.jpg (20 KB, 550x353) Image search: [Google]
ellis.jpg
20 KB, 550x353
>>71147725
kek
>>
File: kane.jpg (26 KB, 518x690) Image search: [Google]
kane.jpg
26 KB, 518x690
Best choice in terms of looks/size

Who knows? Kane might even be a decent film actor
>>
File: Yatjhct.jpg (40 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
Yatjhct.jpg
40 KB, 375x375
>>71152919

Thanks Cormac
>>
>>71152356
>the fat dad from rosanne
Get the fuck out of this thread.
>>
>>71152542

You're missing the point, faggot. The violence is the core central thematic component of the novel. If you take away the violence, you neuter the work. We don't want violence for violence sake. Quite the opposite, in fact. In order for BM to be done right in a film format, it is necessary to show the insane acts of violence committed. Take away the shocking violence and you take away the whole narrative and metaphysical structure of the novel itself.

The baby's head's being smashed is a reference to Psalms 137:9, which is a psalm asking for the deliverance of Zion and the destruction of it's oppressive enemies. McCarthy is using this allusion to reference the fact that the U.S. (and humanity in general), justifies it's ultra-violent acts in an attempt to step free from morality when, in reality, it is nothing more than savage bloodshed.
>>
>>71152933
oh, i see.
>>
>>71152823
>the American colonialism, which these men have NOTHING TO DO WITH, is basically a means for this story to be told.

Their actions are the result of said colonialism, these things don't happen in a nutshell. And nobody said they were working for the government.
>>
>>71153000
lol kill yourself you fucking bitch
>>
>>71152993
hey it was a decent show for a "sitcom", he was great in it.
>>
>>71153048
He is right though, you little faggot.
>>
>>71152958
Physically yes but it would take one hell of an actor for this role.
>>
>>71153048

Nice retort. Prove me wrong then faggot.
>>
>>71153039
>Their actions are the result of said colonialism

Only The Kid ending up in Mexico, after that he's just a mercenary working for Mexicans to kill Indians.
>>
Honest to god no memeing here, but I could totally go for Brendan Fraser in the role. Could even see him win an Oscar and have a career renaissance.
>>
>>71153106
he could channel pain and hatred. he quite possibly has that in spades.
>>
>>71153074
>>71153081
>being this stupid
>being this much of a fag
>being this much of a gore hound

Just admit you want to see violence because it's so epic and you're 15.
>>
File: themachinist-bmyns6.jpg (32 KB, 656x353) Image search: [Google]
themachinist-bmyns6.jpg
32 KB, 656x353
John Sharian
>>
>>71151963
They could greenscreen in some unused footage from apocalypse.
>>
>>71152919
Oh wow, the novel makes a mockery of the violent motif of the wild west? Tell me more, community college professor who also tends bars on the weekends because he makes less than $30k a year.
>>
>No Clancy Brown as The Judge in this thread
Every answer is a plebe answer.
>>
>>71153146
I'm sorry, but even literature critics and professors agree with the referenced posts, you must be one hell of a contrarian to go against the consensus wrt. to violence in the novel

>>71153192
Nice ad hominems, that all you got?
>>
>>71153146

Here's your response. Now go crawl back in a hole and actually read the book rather than shitposting about topics you clearly know nothing about.
>>
>>71153220
Yawn.

We're talking about a movie not a novel you fucking faggot. Go google Harold Bloom some more.
>>
>>71153055
>Not knowing John Goodman's name and only knowing him from Roseanne
That wasn't the issue.
>>
>>71153273
>b-b-but the man in the video said so!!!!

Get a brain you boring bitch ass piece of shit
>>
>>71153279
>>71153324
Talks about other people being teens hungry for violence while throwing a live tantrum in the thread.

top lel
>>
now this is a classic old time /tv/ thread
>>
>>71153279
>We're talking about a hypothetical movie which has yet to be made or even greenlit based on a novel which is widely regarded to be one of the pinnacles of American Literature in the last century, which is the source material for this hypothetical adaptation. Go google John Greene some more.

Fixed.
>>
>>71153318
you knew who he meant so no problem.
>>
>>71153370
Triggered. Go read something a bit more on your level, like a comic book or flashcards for autistic children.
>>
>>71153318
John Goodman would be a great judge if the camera crew could make it look like he was 7 feet tall and terrifying
>>
>>71153324

What fucking video are you even talking about? You're bringing up shit no one has even discussed now just to somehow prove you are in the right.
>>
>>71153075
>implying Glen Jacobs isn't GOAT

https://youtu.be/MsSkEWHVSug?t=3m35s
>>
Blood Meridian's depiction of America's indigenous people will probably stop it from ever being made into a film. You could've probably got away with it in the '70s or '80s but nowadays that novel's portrayal will probably stop it ever going into production.
>>
>>71153423
I posted >>71152884 which I found a very good discussion and it references the colonialism narrative of the novel.

Then the anon throws a tantrum in the thread calling people fags and whatnot.
>>
>/tv/ starts a discourse
>everyone treats it as a win/lose argument with ad hominems and childish bickering, plus "memes"
Every time. This place needs to be nuked to save humanity.

I'll be over at Reddit if you need me.
>>
>>71153531
I moved to Mubi already.

Time to leave this board anyway
>>
>>71153489
They'd have to handle this carefully but it could be done. Nobody denies that there was violence and a lot of the Indians got fucked over themselves, which would obviously be played up.

Adam Sandler did some movie that made Indians cry and it was still released.
>>
>>71153531
>looking for intelligent discussion on an anime website full of memeing teens
>>
>>71153531
>I'll be over at Reddit if you need me.
That was already clear. No need to point it out.
>>
>>71153624
Yeah, but the natives made a massive stink and the tainted Sandler's film for many viewers.

It'll also offend many patriots and Mexicans because of its implication that the American and Mexican government supported genocidal policies against the aborigines of the plains.
>>
It's unfilmable, even a "pretty good" adaptation will be an abomination to the book. There's so much insane violence and endless "wandering through the wilderness" that some would have to get cut, but at the same time there's not much that you could get away with removing from the book (maybe a few town-destroying sequences and a few trek sequences). The book is about their endless razing of the land, cutting it down to a 2-hour plot takes away the huge scope of everything. You couldn't get any sort of mainstream release unless you totally skirted around the violence (which you couldn't, that's the most important part of it). Casting would be tough, you'd have to find a really talented teenage actor to play the kid, and someone good enough to play the judge without going too far with it. His unsettlingness is a really subtle characterization that only a talented writer and actor could nail. Plus, the ending. I can't think of how that could be approached.
>>
>>71151903
He's supposed to resemble a giant infant.
>>
>>71154047
This film DEFINITELY needs to look like that picture, completely fucking balls to the wall psychedelic. Fantastic picture, thanks mate
>>
>>71151912
He was "big" but much more bearmode than fat. Remember, he was strong enough to crush a man's skull with one hand and effortlessly smash a giant boulder over a horse's head
>>
>>71153996
It'd be interesting to see if this upsets people about the Mexican government, since much of their actions around this time period aren't necessarily well known. Plus there is plenty of criticism about said government from Mexicans themselves (there are protests going on right now and everyone knows it is corrupt as fuck) so I don't think it's an issue. Same with Americans because everyone knows the American government treated Indians like shit and tried to kill them, it's nothing new. Other movies have done it as well.
>>
>>71154243
It's more because the book (correctly) displayed a lot of the natives as savages as well. The first Comanche scene features them gutting and raping the dead, I doubt anything like that would fly because of muh noble savage trope
>>
>>71153489
This book shits on Indians?

Sold, reading it ASAP.
>>
>>71154152
>>71154047
would be great if itt went the acid trip route and showcased all of this, the big 2m baby that's the *wisdom of the world* crushing skulls with one hand

like that

as is

normal regular thing and so on
>>
>>71154377
What they would have to do is set up some Natives as good, others as bad. Dances with Wolves had some as the "good" Indians that got fucked over by Americans and others as the bad, brutal ones (in that case, it was the Pawnee). Since the book does have a lot of peaceful Natives getting brutally murdered for no reason it would work out fine.
>>
>>71154417
>peepee in teepee
>I'm reading it
>>
>>71154243
As in the novel, the local Mexican government (was it the state of Coahuila?) hired J.J. Glanton and his posse as mercenaries / assassins to slaughter and retrieve the scalps of Apaches, Comanches and Yaquis as they are fighting Mexican state encroachment on their homelands.

>>71154377
Exactly. The Apaches also flay their enemies a few times, I think.

Y'know, the novel is basically the film Come & See but with the perspective swapped. It even came out the same year as Blood Meridian.
>>
>>71154965
>As in the novel, the local Mexican government (was it the state of Coahuila?) hired J.J. Glanton and his posse as mercenaries / assassins to slaughter and retrieve the scalps of Apaches, Comanches and Yaquis as they are fighting Mexican state encroachment on their homelands.
True but in a movie this might be changed over to the American government to simplify things. Which would be a shame, mind you, but a realistic and reasonable enough change.
>>
TERRENCE MALICK

EMMANUEL LUBEZKI

LETS GOOOOO
Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.