[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I always remembered Rocko's Modern Life being one of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
File: RML.png (341 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
RML.png
341 KB, 720x480
So I always remembered Rocko's Modern Life being one of my favorite cartoons as a kid and just started rewatching it after a couple decades.

The animation is great, and there are jokes every five seconds, but... It's really not that entertaining, and the jokes are Very dated.

That said, the biggest surprise upon viewing it again is that ROCKO'S MODERN LIFE IS NOT A KID'S SHOW. No way, no how. Literally every joke and every gag is aimed at adults, yet now that I'm an adult I no longer find it funny.

I'm not sure what the point of the thread is, other than to ask how the hell this show got on Nickelodeon.
>>
As a kid you laugh at "adult" jokes because you think people find them funny, while when you're mature you laugh at stuff YOU think is funny.

One of the reasons why rocky isn't funny to mature adults is because it's pointless, nothing to see/nothing to learn from it. It's a repitition that grows old very fast. Younglings who haven't yet been exposed to this style the same amount of time still enjoys the absurdness, because they simply doesn't know better. Once they get it it no longer is what it is.
>>
It's really easy to be entertained as a kid.
FYI there's a Rocko movie or something being made and it's probably going to be disappointing.
>>
As a kid I hated this cartoon. I haven't seen it since then but I don't think watching it now would change my mind even if I got all the jokes.

Cow and chicken was shit too.
>>
Rocko was more of a visual fiesta, it didn't have much depth. What i loved, and still do, about the show is it's way of interpreting the archaic aspects of modernity.
>>
>>71130504

I get what you're saying, but don't really agree in this case.

I definitely remember thinking things were funny as a kid just because everyone else acted like they were funny, but that wasn't the case with Rocko. Part of the appeal was surely the mature themes, but I think it was mostly the non-stop visual gags and gross-out type comedy, which had only ever been done on Nick by Ren and Stempy.

I think that if I was my current age 20 years ago I would have found the show hilarious, because it's all about living on your own for the first time in the contemporary, "modern", world, but that was the world of the mid 90's. Seriously though, the themes of at least the first handful of episodes are all geared towards people just getting out of college and finding jobs and trying to be adults.
>>
I don't remember shit about rocko. I think it was because they didn't air it nearly as much as doug and rugrats.
>>
>that episode where the frog neighbour guy starts secretly dressing as clown

seriously, watch it. the whole episode is one big hidden adult joke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdD-61bM6ac
>>
File: duckman.png (226 KB, 467x356) Image search: [Google]
duckman.png
226 KB, 467x356
Children's cartoons rarely age well besides their animated intros.

Duckman on the other hand has aged like motherfucking wine.

BTW, the '90s art style is called Memphis Group.
>>
>>71131699
felt like ever time I tried to watch TV, doug was on.

it got to the point where I just relented and watched it, despite hating everything about it.
>>
>>71131699

>they didn't air it nearly as much as doug and rugrats

Those shows were on back to back every day when I got home from school, and I don't have any idea when Rocko was on, but still watched every episode. Did your parents make you do all your homework before dinner or something?
>>
I remember watching this show as a kid, but I can't remember anything at all about it except for one line that somehow stuck with me:

Laundry day is a very dangerous day.
>>
>>71131773

ah see i never got home that early, so it was fucking doug, rugrats and i'd watch then nick at night until 2 in the morning like a meth head.
>>
>>71131740
its kinda sad how relevant duckman still is.
>>
>>71131740

>children's cartoons rarely age well besides their animated intros

I watched the first few seasons of Rugrats not too long ago and that show is pretty much timeless. I loved it as a kid, my parents probably enjoyed it when I was a kid, and I can still get drunk and happily fall asleep to it as an adult.
>>
File: DMV.png (467 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
DMV.png
467 KB, 720x480
>it's a rocko goes to the dmv episode
>>
>>71130504
>As a kid you laugh at "adult" jokes because you think people find them funny
Were you retarded as a child or something? Kids don't fake finding things funny, its just easier to be amused when you've only been on the planet 8 or so years.
>>
The whacky deli ep still holds up in my opinion.
>>
File: cough please.png (309 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
cough please.png
309 KB, 720x480
>>71132033

So when he finally made it up to the counter he was sent to get an eye exam, where the doctor pulled his eyes 3 feet out of the socket and stroked them back and forth, leading up to pic related, where the line is literally, "cough please".
>>
>>71132104
>Kids don't fake finding things funny,

They absolutely do, they get ahead of themselves trying to keep up with adult humor which is why in middle school they go through an edgy phase that they sometimes never grow out of.
>>
File: Gas Cap.png (397 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
Gas Cap.png
397 KB, 720x480
>>71132262

DADDY DADDY!

MY TEACHER SAYS THAT EVERY TIME A GAS CAP IS FOUND AN ANGEL GETS IT'S WINGS!

YOUR TEACHER'S FULL OF SNOT
>>
>>71132033
>>71132262
fucking SHITLOAD of laughs in the DMV episode
>reading eye exam chard
>A.. D.. P.. A crazed doctor.. is right.. behind.. you.. get.. out.. while.. you.. S-STILL.. CAN!?!?

>YOU'RE ALL WILD PIGS

>Don't get the fat guy!

too bad OP is the plebbest of plebbit and doesn't enjoy the best cartoon from the 90s
>>
File: jegan_dissaproves_of_this_post.gif (485 KB, 364x205) Image search: [Google]
jegan_dissaproves_of_this_post.gif
485 KB, 364x205
>>71131748
>hating based doug
>>
>>71129830
>The animation is great
>>71131683
>a visual fiesta
I looked it up on YouTube and I'm not sure what you're talking about.
>>
File: Dr-Hutchy.png (275 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Dr-Hutchy.png
275 KB, 640x480
Anyone else think she was hot?
>>
>>71132665

doug was shit. doug himself was a fucking "big nosed" cuck.
>>
>>71132638

I'm OP and those are both screenshots I just took.

Maybe it gets better, or the vodka is hitting me differently from last night, but I'm actually really liking it right now.

Doesn't really change anything about what I said in the OP. The first few episodes of most series usually take time to hit their stride.

I'm also noticing that Rocko got very bold, very fast. This was pretty much the same era of Pete and Pete, mind you, so they were probably testing out what they could get away with each week in the beginning.
>>
>>71131740
I don't know anon, Ed, Edd, and Eddy, Dexter's Lab, Ren and Stimpy and yes, I'll say it, Invader Zim are still bretty gud.

>>71132784
Reminder the creator of Doug is the ultimate autist.
>>
>>71131653
ugh bet you were into disgusting sameface shit like fairly odd parents or something fucking turbopleb faggot
>>
Where are you Really Really Big Man?
>>
The bermuda triangle episodes pop into my head occasionally. The jackhammer competition comes to mind too.
>>
>>71132988
>not Really Really Big Guy
>>
>>71132741
first waifu t b h
>>
>>71133443
Masturbating to a character isn't the same thing as having her as your waifu.
>>
>>71131740
Bought the entire series.
Still pop this fucker in from time to time.
Good shit.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.