[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how did they get away with this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: osiris.jpg (42 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
osiris.jpg
42 KB, 450x300
how did they get away with this?
>>
>>71124247
Watch the movie
>>
>>71124247
because he's a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude. And he didn't go full retard
>>
>>71124247
Australians can get away with anything
>>
>>71124247

I feel like this was ok because the overall joke was "punching up" at white method actors that don't check their privilege.
>>
The jokes worked.
The movie ended with him coming to grips and taking it off.
It was done then and not today.
>>
>>71125132
The thing is...
This.
>>
>>71125170
>I feel like this was ok because the overall joke was "punching up" at white method actors that don't check their privilege.
Look at all these buzzwords.
>>
>>71124247
because it was overly-aware
>>
A lot of liberals have good senses of humor and it was lampooning method actors who take their roles too seriously.

Larry David, Larry Seinfeld, Seth McFarland, and Daniel Tosh are liberals not afraid of race jokes.
>>
>>71125396
Jerry Seinfeld*
>>
>over the top method actor

That was the bit. It would NEVER EVER be made today.

Ironically this happened instead http://www.businessinsider.com/2008/8/dreamworks-simple-jack-retard-movie-offended-people-so-we-took-site-down
>>
>>71125396
>Larry Seinfeld
>>
>>71125341
He's right though, that's how it got past the lefties.
>>
File: 51Gx36QIuIL.jpg (47 KB, 366x500) Image search: [Google]
51Gx36QIuIL.jpg
47 KB, 366x500
>>71125447
I remember the whole "R-word" shit. It was so bad there were even "Unrated" versions of movies that still edited out the word "Retard" like a bad TV edit.
>>
Because it happened like 10 years ago and America was vastly different place regarding shit like that 10 years ago and he said it himself that that's the reason and they couldn't do it today.
>>
>>71125396
>Daniel Tosh
>Liberal

forreal?
>>
>>71124247
By pulling it off flawlessly. There was a little controversy, but most people shut up when he got a fucking Oscar nomination for it.
>>
>>71125447
It might still be made today, as it was mocking the concept of blackface rather than playing it literally.
>>
>>71125396
>Daniel Tosh
>liberal

Are you retarded?
>>
>>71125689
He's not? What is he then? Not denying being retarded.
>>
>>71125761
>What is he then?
Either moderate or right wing. I've seen much of his standup, he's sure as shit not left.
>>
>>71124247
RDJ is a national treasure, can do what he wants
>>
>>71125761

Libertarian most likely
>>
>>71125822
>>71125867
He really isn't, Listen to what he says IRL
>>
>>71125650
The controversy was mostly about the retard Ben Stiller played, anyway.
>>
>>71125665

To SJWs it's all the same.

>>71125554

To be very honest, even for me that's where I drew the line (making fun of retards in a mean way)

But Simple Jack was making fun at all the retard movies like Forrest Gump and I Am Sam. The latter was cringe.
>>
>"This better be the funniest movie ever or I am gonna be soooooo offended!"

1 hour 47 minutes later

>"You got lucky this time Ben Stiller."
>>
>>71127574
I think this was actually the peak of his career. He called in all of his favors in Hollywood and made a great movie.
>>
>>71127676
He must have called in some favors...I was surprised to see Tom Cruise in that movie. Funny character too.
>>
>>71124247
because there was an actual black guy in the movie
i have to admit it was a brilliant play.
>>
>>71124247
IS that the guy from The Wire?
>>
>>71128274
>I was surprised to see Tom Cruise in that movie
Didn't he take the roll because there was some producer that he hated and this gave him the chance to shit all over said producer.
>>
>>71124247
In this scene. Right here.
The scene you've posted a screencap from.

He's a white actor playing a white actor.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.