[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
9]According to New Line's accounts, the trilogy made "horrendous
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: 1430527443650.png (1 MB, 1363x574) Image search: [Google]
1430527443650.png
1 MB, 1363x574
9]According to New Line's accounts, the trilogy made "horrendous losses" and no profit at all.[20]

Sheeeit sounds like a reboot is necessary
>>
>>71105657
Beyonce should play Aragorn and twerking can be her supa powa to kill Sauron. Frodo can be girl too.
>>
New Line must have had holes in their pockets because RotK made a billion dollars, in a time when it meant something.
>>
>>71106318
Hollywood accounting apparently makes this very probable. Something to do with percentages of profits fucking them over I believe idk
>>
>>71105657
They made no profits because the studio funneled the profits back to themselves as expenses to avoid paying royalties to the Tolkien estate or taxes. Many industries do this especially with overseas shell companies.
>>
>>71106457
How were the royalties greater than those profits and future profits
>>
I want to see this remade in HD
>>
>>71106550
You need to be jewish to understand the maths.
>>
>>71106550
I'm not sure about the actual wording of the deal but this is what I understand as an amateur. The royalties payments were based on a percentage of the profits. By claiming high production costs (costs that were paid to the studio or companies owned by the studio) the studio could claim that no profits were made off the films and that they only broke even. There's obviously more to it than that but I don't work in finance so that's my limit.
>>
>>71105657
You know if they do this, they'll go full Hobbit, right?
>>
>trilogy makes almost $3 billion
>no profit
explain
>>
>>71105657
I think this is part of the reason jackson agreed to do the hobbit. He wanted a payday and a fuck you to the studio.
>>
>>71106692
So going in the negative is complete fraud and allows them to simply take all the profits and not pay taxes on them? Seems about right to me
>>
>>71106778
Jewllywood accounting.

It works a bit like a non profit. The movie itself lost money, but everyone behind it was paid very well.
>>
>>71106792
This is also one of the purposes of shell companies.

>>71106790
I don't Jackson would have received much from the profits. Most people in production get paid upfront. The Tolkien family are the ones who got screwed.
>>
>>71106889
That sounds like embezzling money out of New Line. How is that legal?
>>
>>71106778
accounting shenanigans
>>
>>71106778

>company has to pay taxes on profit
>company has to pay royalties on profit
>company is run by jews

Creative accounting, anon. Most likely by some bogus 'consulting fees' that gobbled up all/most of the profit.

Basically shifting the entire profit from the movie studio to some of their subsidiaries.
>>
>>71106991
Sounds a bit like how music profits get funneled to so many different people and entities before actually reaching the musicians
>>
>>71107032
yeah very similar thing, it is a very common practice.
>>
>>71106948
By using legal loopholes and have a lot of good lawyers.
>>
>>71106948
Laws are for poor people and gentiles
>>
>>71106778
Companies are not single entities, you have subsidiaries and conglomerates. They have a dozen different companies that they are related. They effectively moved the surplus revenue to other companies so they technically made no profit. It doesn't matter since the profit is ultimately funnelled to the shareholders at the top but it does mean that no royalties have to be paid (any percentage of 0 is 0)
>>
>My Big Fat Greek Wedding
>$5,000,000 budget
>gross $368,000,000
>lose $20,000,000 somehow
>>
>>71108226
No royalties to the tolkien estate and actors?
>>
>>71106991
or a tax dodge: makes no profit, doesn't have to pay royalties or tax. forces hackson to make more films, rince and repeat.
>>
This is why I don't give a fuck about pirating
>>
>>71108738
Technically yes they do get royalties. But as I said, royalties are a percentage of profit. Half of 0 is still 0.
>>
>>71105657

need to make arwen a transgender elf.

make gandalf gay like dumbledore

why not have frodo be a woman, but make her more badass and capable so shes a great swordsman and she ebats aragorn in a duel. make sam a sassy black women who clicks his fingers alot.

golum will still be a white dude who must serve the strong female frodo and black female sam

saruman will be a white dude still

aragorn should be played by will smith
>>
File: Lucas Chaos.jpg (51 KB, 500x304) Image search: [Google]
Lucas Chaos.jpg
51 KB, 500x304
>>71111265
>need to make arwen a transgender elf.
>>
>>71106556

Why can't I find this anywhere? This needs to be real.
>>
>>71106556
>>71111776
I saw it once, it's all softcore and excessive caressing.

Not much to write home about.
>>
>>71111776
Oh its real
>>
>>71111886

Aww, really? Way to crush my dreams with a hammer Anon.

Still, they can't all be winners.
>>
>>71106612
No, you need to be jewish to obfuscate the maths
>>
>>71106792
yep that's it. If they were really such a loss, they wouldn't have cranked out 3 hobbit flicks.
>>
File: 2.jpg (35 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
35 KB, 480x480
>>71106778
>>
>>71112188
>last answer
>not statistician/economist/sociologist/politician/lawyer/basically everyone ever
>>
What can film-makers do against such reckless jewery?
>>
>>71111265
>"NO LIVING GENDER CAN HINDER ME!"
>"I HAVE NO GENDER"
>>
File: freakazoid.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
freakazoid.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
Jackson should have followed Freakazoid's advice about taking a piece of the net """"profits""":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHL91HQzhuc
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.