[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Serious question here /tv/, which ones would you say are the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: the-conjuring.jpg (68 KB, 617x332) Image search: [Google]
the-conjuring.jpg
68 KB, 617x332
Serious question here /tv/, which ones would you say are the best horror movies of all time and why... also, what you think makes a perfect horror movie.

>theme
>soundtrack
>acting
>photography
>script

>Just watched for the first time the conjuring and thought it was awesome in almost everything
>>
>also, what you think makes a perfect horror movie.

monsters, usually
>>
The perfect horror movie is kinda a cliche, it's much like Classical music, where it's just a formula. The modern Slasher film is more or less just the formula made by Alien.

But no Classical song follows the formula perfectly. The true are is in the deviations. So, there's no such thing as a perfect Horror movie. They're each flawed, but that's what makes them art.

This is why horror movies are unlike any other genre. It's one of the few PURE genres, unlike Comedy and Drama and Sci-Fi which are always a mixtures of genres.

horror movies are more like action movies, and this is why it's easy to criticize them, and why people will always be able to hate Saw and MArvel movies, because they're formulaic movies. That's how the genre goes.

It's like criticizing Beethoven for being predictable. "Oh i knew he was going to the iv after that V chord."

But like most movies the sound is one of the most important parts. Conjuring had amazing sound, of the wooden floor, and the clapping of the hands, and the whispering on the tapes, or whatever....

I give it 10/10 for sound which really makes up for everything, since the majority of the movie YOU DON'T SEE ANYTHING. The acting of scared, without the music is just a bunch of people breathing weird.

You know???
>>
Scream 1 has to be one of my favorite horror movies. The first time I saw it, I was so distrubed by it I couldn't watch it again. I then saw it again after, and forgot I watched it before and went through that same horror.

I was watching jaws and freddy krueger since I was 10, and IT and Cujo when I was younger even.

That movie really goto me, it wasn't about supernatural or predictable killers. It was just about that random guy.
>>
>>71086229
Its funny, my argument would be for psychological and ideological horrors, so my choice would be A Clockwork Orange. To watch the droogs act is terrifying, to see a fascist governemt take away freedom of choice is terrifying, the real world applications are also terrifying. You see?
>>
>>71087152
It was satrical on the ideal christian, and how a modern application of it is impractical. It had nothing to do with government, other then them being the agents of the christian will and being the hypocrites against it in the end. The government gets overthrown by violent terrorists that use Alex as a pawn, so what's to fear my droog?

The punks in the street had always existed and always will, they either grow up and a find a place in the police force to use their natural tendency for power to do good like most people in the military and police forces.

Or like Alex in the story grow up and have a family and get a job, that is the nature of the clockwork orange. We're in a cycle that can't be broken, because that cycle is called life. We're all slaves to our genetics, and to modify that is unnatural. That's what relgion tries to do, unsuccessfully for thousands of years, but yet we still tolerate it.

Kids will grow up and get bored. Evolution rewards the good naturally, their's no need to force people to be good.
>>
>>71087745
>Evolution rewards the good naturally

Then why is most of the world fucked up?

>>71086229
It really comes down to production values and good actors. Most horror movies don't have either.
>>
The original Woman in Black and the remake I consider to be contenders as best of all time.

Perfect horror movie for me is subtle, until the point it wants to scare you at which point it's pants-shittingly scary. Also it has to have a lasting effect. No point if it's only scary for the duration of the movie then never again.

Other movies I think are good to very good:
Ringu
The Innkeepers
Lake Mungo

All leave me feeling eerie after watching it, especially Lake Mungo. These are all essentially classic ghost stories retold (e.g. The Signalman, Whistle and I'll Come to You My Lad)
>>
>>71086229
The music. I'll say this about Sinister. Not the best overall horror movie but the fucking music took me to another realm. I transcended watching it cause the music gave me chills. If music isn't good euphoria is impossible
>>
I think subtlety, atmosphere and sound design makes for the perfect horror movie.
Gore and ultraviolence is disturbing and it might make me tense, wince, or want to look away but it's not necessarily scary and if overdone it almost approaches parody.
On the other spectrum psychological scares can also be very good if used effectively but I feel like their impact varies from person to person so it's not always a sure thing.

For me the perfect horror movie is Halloween (1978)
The POV kill at the beginning
The cinematography
The use of music to build tension and the placement of don't fear the reaper to allude to Michael and the motif of death
Michael stalking Laura throughout the entire movie like showing up at school and trailing her and annie in his car
The climax and the makeshift haunted house

TCM (1974) is probably the scariest horror movie imo but I think that's more because it feels so gritty and there's just little nuanced things that really get to you like the sound of the chainsaw whirring in the distance or that one high pitched sound effect that plays intermittently throughout.
The dinner scene is probably the most disturbing thing in a horror movie I've ever seen.
>>
File: SuspiriaOneSheet[1].jpg (65 KB, 735x1024) Image search: [Google]
SuspiriaOneSheet[1].jpg
65 KB, 735x1024
atmosphere
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.