[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why is it suddenly so much harder for character design to become
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5
File: 1.jpg (155 KB, 640x643) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
155 KB, 640x643
why is it suddenly so much harder for character design to become universally iconic anymore?
>>
everything is just a cgi bloob who stays as little as possible on screen so people don't realize how shit it is
>>
>>71085657
Come up with something original. Most of the good stuff has been done
>>
>>71086419
Well you can come with something good and original theoretically, but people are still going to just find vague similarities to something older and call it a ripoff
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.jpg (99 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.jpg
99 KB, 600x800
>>71085657
tfw i can only recognise 6 of those portraits and i still post here rampantly
>>
>>71086419
most of the things you think are "good stuff" is in fact a reused tale.
>>
>>71085657
Only ones I don't know are the woman next to Mr. Miyagi, the guy above Jason, and the girl above Johnny-5
>>
>>71085657
who is bottom row, 3rd column.
>>
>>71086647
Joan Crawford from Mommie Dearest,
(I think) a badly drawn Bill Murray
Carol Ann from Poltergeist
>>
>>71086653
i got everyone except for him too. he looks familiar tho
>>
>>71085657

>golden age logic

Its not. There's just more stuff out there. The ratio is lower but we're still probably creating just as many culturally iconic images as we did before. Also, it takes time for them to be realized as iconic. So, right now, we don't really know or can accurately predict what is or isn't iconic yet.
>>
>>71086778
probably something faggy like the artist himself
>>
>>71086778
>>71086653
Pretty sure it's Mookie from Do the Right Thing
>>
>>71086929
wow, they made spike lee a lil too chiseled
>>
If you did this for today it would be nothing but fucking MCU/DC and five different Will Ferrells.
>>
>>71086594
Irrelevant if no one can come up with anything good anymore, and they haven't.
>>
>>71087225
And Mad Max kek
>>
Media saturation.

In the 60s there was like 3 channels, so a higher % of the cultural mainstream absorbed a lesser amount of stuff.

Compared to today there are a billion different things that a much smaller fragment will ever see, so it's less likely for something produced in such an environment to have that 'classic' or 'iconic' feeling.

There are still unique and well designed characters and stories being made, but they're drowned out by all the other shit.
>>
File: django.jpg (181 KB, 500x742) Image search: [Google]
django.jpg
181 KB, 500x742
>>71085657
You're gonna get mad, but Django is very iconic now.
>>
>>71085657
RDJ's Iron Man is the closest we have right now
>>
>>71085657
The market is saturated to shit.
>>
>>71085657
whoever drew that picture is shit at drawing.
>>
>>71086419
There is no originality left in the world. That is a sad fact i've come to live with.
>>
>>71088929
-someone 800 years ago probably
It is difficult to come up with something new and no matter how hard you try it will borrow from things of the past, that does not mean originality is dead tho
>>
>Tony Stark
>Napoleon Dynamite
>Minions

I don't know how far back you are letting me go, but I can think of quite a few
>>
>>71085657
It hasn't become harder, you're just forgetting all of the characters that didn't become universally iconic.
>>
>>71086647
>>71086737
>badly drawn Bill Murray

You two need to stop staying up so much later than your bedtime
>>
Immortan Joe
>>
>>71089268
heath ledger joker
>>
me on the top left
>>
>>71088440
It really isn't.
>>
>>71085657

it's not, you just like those character becauses you grew up with them, in 20 years time people will be posting pictures of The Driver and OldBoy asking why characters are not iconic anymore
>>
>>71090216
They won't. You keep saying shit like that but they won't.
>Driver
>iconic
>>
>>71090050
game of thrones
>>
>>71085657
Do you even Bane faggot?
>>
>>71088440
The Hateful Eight is much, much better.
>>
>>71090291
This. Q's best film since Pulp.
>>
>>71085657
People themselves are boring

Everytime I go to work or university or out shopping, you hear the same fucking things over and over

It's so difficult to find an interesting unique person, which all the people/creatures in the picture are

Although I expect in the past people were very similar, I think the similarity has increased as culture has combined.

There's no more Mr Miyagi because he is now a proud American and white kids are doing more karate than Asian

There's no Indiana Jones because that's chauvanistic and there's no acceptable place for that in this gender no-norm society

It's also because production companies are steering away from original content because consumers don't want original content, they want safe things that are or remind them of things from the past

The most bankable scripts to write are adaptations or reimaginations of old stories
>>
>>71090291
but was it really necessary for a 187 minute film to have the first 120 minutes be a snorefest?
>>
>>71089398
who is it then?
>>
>>71090386
You're right, the world (or at least, the 1st world) feels much more homogenised. It really is quite dull.
>>
>>71090494
I'm Australian and the difference between an Australian, an American, a New Zealander, a Canadian, a UK person is almost 0 except for accent.

We consume the same media, we output the same thoughts.

Go back even 20 years ago and we were divided moreso and that created more divergent output.

Now it's all the same, wherever you go.

Fucking Peter Jackson is the archetype of Hollywood director and he's as NZ as they come.

British Actors sit side by side with Americans on panel shows and you wouldn't know they had any different upbringing.

It's dull
>>
>>71090243
The Driver will absolutely become iconic.

Also Anton Chigurh.
>>
You don't think it's because the movie business is just generally trite and uninspired these days with nothing but remakes and sequels/prequels?
>>
>>71090601
Globalisation sucks.
>>
>>71088929
Nothing has been really new for a long time, but things often "feel" new still, slight variations of old things can still alter your impression very much.
>>
File: 1.jpg (245 KB, 1060x1500) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
245 KB, 1060x1500
>>71085657
>implying
>>
>>71085657
i think for a long time people who watched movies where way more homogenic and liked the same stuff so they could hype the same guy
now they have to pander to so many groups, but its hard to find one iniversally liked character which could become iconic
>>
>>71090291
Agreed
>>71090302
Right again
>>71090397
Too much talking for ya? You wanted the action to start sooner?
>>
>>71085657
There are plenty of memorable modern designs, but at the same time a lot of the popular movies nowadays have just good looking people or well known actors with no distinguishable features.
>>
>>71090601
>>71090857
this so much
My great granddad used to tell me all these fucking stories about his travels and how France and Germany and India and all these countries he visited were and I will never get to see any of that
>>
>>71090247
Immortan Joe.
>>
>>71086561
>a fucking retard
>frogoster

This is why /tv/ is shit, these fucking capeshit loving manchildren from reddit come here for some stupid fucking reason. This is TELEVISION AND FILM YOU STUPID FUCK. IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY REAL INTEREST IN IT WHY ARE YOU HERE YOU PIECE OF SHIT

I sincerely hope you die you waste of space
>>
>>71090601
This is because there is a professional, international globalist class. When you get below that there is some originality left, but globalists are dominant and very forceful in their own way
>>
File: pulpfiction.jpg (90 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
pulpfiction.jpg
90 KB, 1280x720
>>71088440
To be fair so are these two, I'd argue the bride is too
>>
>>71093964
These too definitely.

You could do a black outline of them anf just like with the columbine shooters, the poses and outlines of their body/hair would be instantly recognizable
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.