[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we fix sci-fi and fantasy movies? Why won't Hollywood
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3
File: diversity_1.jpg (198 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
diversity_1.jpg
198 KB, 900x1200
How do we fix sci-fi and fantasy movies? Why won't Hollywood correct this problematic situation? Don't they recognize that they're preventing a significant portion of the population from seeing their movies by not being more inclusive?
>>
make ur own movie with a black woman in the lead
>>
>>71057996
Black disabled lebanese woman.

Plot twist:

>she is the villain.
>>
>>71057996
Make it about busting ghosts. That'd be instantly popular.
>>
>>71057967

because it will be a flop and no money will be made.
>>
So when women and minorities demand women and minorities in film it's inclusive when white men say they prefer white men in film it's racist and problematic
>>
>>71058117
Like The Force Awakens did?
>>
if there was a market for it, filmakers would exploit it.

there are 0 (0%) bollywood movies with white males

because white males don't give a shit about the genre, there's no money to be made
>>
>>71058210
there's plenty with white men as the bad guy though lol, Lagaan for instance
>>
>>71057967
>top grossing
There's your problem. They don't make money when there's other leads.
>>
>>71058202

so are you saying that you should only make movie sequels or prequels of successful movie, with addition to everything that was on OPs picture, and ride the audience for nostalgia or the successful film series?

or do you argue that same point but with new movies?
>>
>>71057967
Name all 6 will smith movies
>>
there are plenty of LGBT protags, they just don't feel the need to talk about it

like kirk in the new star trek movies
>>
>>71057967
"X doesn't pander to me so I'll complain instead of actually producing OC to change the situation" has to be my favorite mejmej
>>
>>71058461
I'm saying that you're wrong that having black or female leads will lead to a flop, as TFA had a black and a female lead and didn't flop.
>>
>>71059686
but they were also in star wars
>>
>>71059686
Being a long awaited sequel to one of the most successful movie franchises in history didn't contribute...
>>
>>71059686
If you honestly think the success of that movie was for any other reason than the Star Wars brand you're delusional and not worth pay attention to.
>>
>>71058250
>Lagaan
i didnt think much people on /tv/ would know of this cricketkino
>>
>>71057967
Diversity quotas don't make good stories. Political correctness is heavy handed self serving and obnoxious
>>
>>71058468
Legend
Independence Day
After Earth
I, Robot
men in black
wild wild west
>>
>>71062613
Not to mention the fact the diversity push actually reduced it's ability to perform in foreign markets.
>>
>>71057967

If 51% or more villains are of color would they claim that Hollywood is racist?
>>
>>71058127
Its because they aren't saying "exclude white men entirely I hate looking at them."
>>
>>71062723
Lagaan is classic. I also had to watch it in college.
>>
pretty sure that 1% or so of the general population is disabled, so that's not bad actually
>>
>>71057967
>based on Top 100 grossing
>this isnt what is made, this is what people pay to see.

When people see American movies, they want a strong white male lead to save the day. Anything else comes across as a cheap gimmick
>>
>>71058202

The Force Awakens was Star Wars.

The protagonists LITERALLY could have been a cat with two amputated limbs and a bag of frozen peas and it still would have made just as much money.
>>
File: Stopped Reading There.jpg (13 KB, 250x272) Image search: [Google]
Stopped Reading There.jpg
13 KB, 250x272
>>71057967

>Diversity

Does anyone else just stop reading an argument when they see this word? I do.

"Diversity" is invariably just code for complaining that Batman isn't played by a Lebanese transexual left-handed Muslim woman.

Movies have no obligation to fill your imaginary quotas on race and sex and whatever the fuck else identity-politics you feel are important.

Nobody but ardent SJW's think this is a "problem".
>>
>>71057967
>based on the top 100 domestic grossing sci-fi & fantasy movies
>BASED ON THE TOP 100 DOMESTIC GROSSING

So its back to the fantasy of somehow making movies successful and then going back and copy/pasting things in that would alienate the vast majority of the domestic audience?

Also, avatar, a movie about giant blue nigger cat people (who's sexes are also clearly different from human sexes) kicking the white man off their planet, clearly wasn't counted at all.
>>
>>71057996
But /tv/ would just complain about it and call you an sjw.
>>
Hamstringing the creative process by forcing diversity onto people's creative works is ridiculous. If you want to hire the people interested in creating diversity darlings, go for it, but this recent fad of taking some well-known work or series and then making a protagonist black, and it's always black instead of some other race with a smaller marketable demographic because it's still a marketing decision, needs to end.
>>
This is kind of a dumb thing to be pissed about. I'm not like the /pol/tards. I'm pretty liberal but issues of race, disability and LBGTQ are modern issues. Like I have no problem with a character being those things if it fits the plot but I doubt anyone comes into a sci fi movie desiring to hear someone in a wheelchair complain about the accessibility of a spaceship's flight deck.

BTW, in case you didn't know, avatar is the movie with a disabled lead and that movie sucked because of the banal scriptwriting, not because of the main character being disabled.
>>
what's the movie with the cripple? I wanna make sure I skip that one
>>
>>71057967
Nigga please warcraft had that based black guy. He was one of the few characters that didn't look like he was made entirely of CGI.
>>
>>71065931
It's Avatar.
>>
>>>/pol/
>>
>>71058202
It's Star Wars, literally one of the, if not the, most popular film franchises of all time.
>>
>>71058202
You forgot the Star Wars part
>>
>>71063349
>im dying cat, take my lightsabre and defeat the sith lord
>i man do it brah i got no arms
>use the force
>i cant do it since im using all my power to keep this bag of frozen peas on my stumps
>>
>>71065931
Unbreakable; good film.
>>
>People actually want a genre with fiction in the title to be more realistic

Yeah I know logic is lost on them since it's all about agenda and attention but that's just funny.
>>
>>71066058
>>71066063
Yet this board claimed that le evil nigger would make the movie flop
>>
>>71065292
Don't reboot an existing movie then, make your own shit.
Nobody bitches about the black panther movie but if you made a superman movie with boyega or some shit...
>>
>>71066225
It didn't beat avatar so it flopped.
>>
>>71058056
Literally The Dark Tower
>>
>>71066225
>/tv/ is one person
>>
>>71066225
well, it did under perform in china because of the nigger.

also because china doesn't give a fuck about star wars.
>>
>>71057967
>0% in LGBTQ protgaonists. What. Seems like scifi would be full of them.
>>
>>71066390
>china doesn't give a fuck about star wars.
You mean they pirated it instead of waiting.
>>
Look, I know /TV/ is just an extension of pol at this point but you all need to realize that having diversity in a movie isn't a bad thing.

The problem is when a company decides to make something diverse instead of an artist. A company will lack the subtlety and ability to create narrative context that the artist has.

Look at Alien. It was made in 1979, had a female protagonist and an African American in a prominent role. It was only able to do what it did because the studios at that point had not yet completely given up on director driven content and were forced to trust the young Ridley Scott and Dan O'Bannon. That film is easily the best entertaiment sci fi film of all time in my opinion and I think a lot of people would agree.

But the important thing here is that no one set out to have a political message with it because having political messages meant to be relevant to the modern discourse in a piece of sci-fi or fantasy is jarring and ruins immersion. It's not like the characters were whitewashed though. The African American character is complaining about being underpaid and his friendship with the other mechanic is one of the funniest parts of the movie.

Seriously. All it takes is a skillful artist to make the audience care about anyone. But a movie should be thought provoking, not didactic.
>>
File: 8044415940_c3506b010e_c.jpg (177 KB, 800x631) Image search: [Google]
8044415940_c3506b010e_c.jpg
177 KB, 800x631
>>71066093
>>
>>71062790
>Diversity quotas don't make good stories.

You're right, they don't and the perceived need for them on the part of *reactionary* elements is a sign of how bad things are. That doesn't mean diversity isn't important. There's no one particular way to "do" diversity, but writers should always be striving to create memorable casts - and the best way to do that is is with a diverse range of characters - ethnically, sexually, religiously, what have you. The best way to achieve THAT is to be mindful of who your characters are. When you just write a character as "Male, age 20-30", the casting director is GOING to pull in white guys, because there's an implicit assumption that, unless you're told otherwise, white is the default in Hollywood.

Producers and directors can play their part in the matter by looking at the names of writers of scripts and paying closer attention to the ones with non-white/Jewish names. Chances are, the casts of those are already more diverse than the scripts written by the guys with average American names. And then they can continue to play their part by not whitewashing those casts. Constance Wu related the story of meeting with a young Asian writer, and the woman told her that the first words out of meeting with a producer to option her script were essentially "We love your story, but can we make the lead character white?" That's the kind of thing that shouldn't happen.

And none of this means that scripts written by white guys, starring white guys, should never be filmed again. While some rather strident voices might call for that out of exasperation, the point is there's room for both at the box office, but both aren't being made. Not in any noticeable quantity.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.