[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The latest GoT episode was pedaled garbage, but I like two things
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 5
File: agincourt2.jpg (118 KB, 812x492) Image search: [Google]
agincourt2.jpg
118 KB, 812x492
The latest GoT episode was pedaled garbage, but I like two things about the battle. The first was the mountain of corpses. It might seem stupid, but it's really not

At the battle of Crecy, english archers cut down french knights (the only ones unarmored in the fight) so much that it created a wall of corpses the knights behind couldn't go through, so they had to go around where they were in turn cut down which caused chaos in the ranks and difficulty for maneuvering.

The second thing was the suffocation Jon almost died from. At Agincourt it's commonly believed that english archers did all the killing with arrows. That's not true, because the french armor was so effective that archers would only penetrate it at a close range. What happened is that the ground became muddy which caused dismounted french knights to stumble over each other and made them unable to get up again. What happened was a bottleneck where people would stampede on each other and cause mass suffocation. The ones who didn't die from the stampede would get bogged down and the light archers could easily move around in the mud and get up close to finish them with daggers and hammers. It's ironic really that such well equipped soldiers become a liability.

Just two interesting things in the episode. The other things were just plain fucking stupid.
>>
>>/71027976/
>>
>>71028941
Literally no one cares what you think.
>>
I also thought the battle was pretty well done, a shame we don't get more accurate medieval battle scenes
>>
>my opinions are retarded and will get shot down in the general
>I KNOW, I'LL MAKE MY OWN THREAD FOR MORE ATTENTION

kill yourself
>>
>>71029006
So you think current GoT is good? get out showfag
>>
File: 4U.png (367 KB, 629x589) Image search: [Google]
4U.png
367 KB, 629x589
>>71028941
NEAT
>>
>>71029050
/got/ is too fast for real discussion, it's just shitposting and memein
>>
>>71029059
>all those assumptions
You are insignificant and no one cares what you have to say. That's all.
>>
>>71029139
Well that sucks. See you in /got/
>>
>>71029107
you're right, maybe a place where the comments are nice and sorted and organized (through some sort of voting system, perhaps?) would be better suited for someone like you
>>
The wall of corpses was shit.

It was barely a skirmish, you need gigantic armies fighting for hours or days for something like that to happen.

The suffocation when they were surrounded was great, however how they allowed themselves to be surrounded was painfully retarded.
>>
>>71028941
is "pedaled garbage" a meme or are you just a retard
>>
>>71029107
weird that you would bridge your own thread to /got/ by linking it then, isn't it? you didn't want shitposting and memein to come to your superior thread?

i'm still pissed we only got one shot of bear loli bros
>>
>>71028941
I liked the shield wall the most. It showed how effective if could be ie the Romans.

At the time a we;; trained phalanx and shield wall were super weapons. Very surgical in it's movements and replacing the front men every few minutes to rest.

100,000s of men would die against Roman shields.
>>
>>71029181
yeah I know, if ramsay had 6k and jon 3k, that's 9k soldiers. This shit was barely a skirmish
>>
>>71029181
>armies fighting for hours
they were you faggot retard it wasnt in real time like 24 you dumb nigger
>>
>>71028941
>I'm so autistic I need to create my own "intellectually superior" thread to discuss a fantasy melodrama for teenagers
>>
>>71028941
>20 ft high corpse wall appears out of no where.

The way they should the battle this would not have happened. There weren't even enough men on screen to make this wall. One shot didnt have it and the next shot did.

IT was stupid.
>>
>>71029181

The wall of corpses was objectively retarded. I thought everyone else was fairly decent to some degree or another.

It was Hollywood unoriginal tier though, even if was satisfying I think people can at least admit that.
>>
>>71029310
You're welcome to not post if it bothers you so much
>>
>>71029172
Well on one hand, Reddit loves spergy historic analysis like this so it would get thousands of upboats and probably a gold or two for that. On the other hand, they would downvote it for criticizing the show.
>>
>>71029181
Ramsay knew all along that a corpse wall 20 ft high would spawn that he could use hannbial tactics with.

HE was genius.
>>
>>71029328
Something doesn't have to be wholly original in order to be good.
>>
>>71029328
That it became so high I agree was stupid, but it's not impossible to have a small mound of corpses

The point is that I assume D&D and the director rooted it in the basis of history, but I doubt it
>>
>>71029385

That's exactly what I said though...
>>
>>71029340
No you.
>>
File: le-merchant-happy.gif (1 MB, 300x289) Image search: [Google]
le-merchant-happy.gif
1 MB, 300x289
>Boltons didn't defeat Stannis, he defeated himself
>the very next scene he finds the stag and is appalled

how the fuck did Davos know Stannis did himself in, before actually finding out?
>>
File: teikota puppy.jpg (189 KB, 808x500) Image search: [Google]
teikota puppy.jpg
189 KB, 808x500
>>71028941
Hey OP
I like your thread and I appreciate your insight on the matter
Thanks for posting man, you seem like a genuinely nice guy
>>
>>71029006

Literally? Literally no one. Even no one is an exaggeration, but you have to add literally to it to add redundancy to the sentence.

Jesus fucking christ go kill yourself. Please, I'm fucking begging you. It's one thing to be a faggot and say the word in public conversation. It's a whole different story to use it so frivolously while typing.
>>
>>71029261
Romans did not fight in a "wall" they fought 3 feet spaced apart. The claim of them rotating men every few minutes is also completely made up with no actual source.
>>
>>71029536
thanks!
>>
>>71029567
literally this.
>>
>>71029261
ya i thought of the romans when this happened
>>
>>71029006
>>71029172
Why are showfags so fucking butthurt over people criticizing their show? Are you invested in HBO or something? Get a grip, it's a shit show made for the lowest common denominator
>>
>>71029672
I don't give two shits about the show. It's fun watching you get so worked up over it though.
>>
>>71028941
It's laughable that all of Jon's men, as outnumbered as they were... allowed themselves to be surrounded like that. They Jon and Torumund were sitting there looking into each other's eyes and didn't even realize what was happening.

We hardly see anything out of the Knights of the Vale. Ramsay's forces have piled up ranks of pikes.. nobody bothers to reform.

Winterfell turns out to be a shit castle. The main gate barred with one shitty piece of wood. No braces on the gate. No iron.

Pavise shields were not used with pike formations. They were used for archers in a siege.

Jon proves to be a complete shit military commander. Hasn't learned a thing.

While you are right about bodies piling up, that was a little bit overkill. 10 ft pile is ridiculous. People would start to avoid the pile eventually before it piled up that high.

Knights of the vale... we hardly see them.. we are just supposed to assume they slaughtered all those pikemen instantly.

In mereen...the heated shots is for the most part not historical.
>>
>>71029772
>ellipses
...wew
>>
>>71029262
We don't know though, they both had reasons to lie about their strength. But it did seem like too many corpses
>>
Why the hell didn't they just slice at the spear points? They could easily destroy a pike like that in a fixed position making it useless
>>
>>71029772
>Winterfell is shoddily rebuilt after being sacked

>WHY IS THERE NO PERFECTLY CONSTRUCTED DEFENCES GUYS THIS IS PURE SHIT
>>
>>71029772
>Pavise shields were not used with pike formations. They were used for archers in a siege.
French and Breton men-at-arms used pavise shields in a few battles in the 1360s.
>>
>>71030026
Why didn't they just use guns?
>>
>>71030158
WOODEN GATE

15 FEET WALL
>>
>>71030026
Because spears don't just get their heads chopped. The shafts of spears/pike are very resistant to that happening. Also spears would not just sit there.. they would be constantly moving around... thrusting in angles to protect the men next them.
>>
>>71029261
Phalanx was Greek

Romans fought spaced out
>>
File: pavis.jpg (20 KB, 340x370) Image search: [Google]
pavis.jpg
20 KB, 340x370
>>71030163
They were used A LOT in the medieval period.

Pavise shields with pike/spear formations would have been MUCH smaller for better maneuverability. Shields used with spears/pikes were not the size of a man.

Shields this size were for battlefield cover for non mobile archers.. often in sieges.
>>
When the hell is hollywood going to stop portraying arrows as some lethal instant death weapons? They would at worst kill you if you were hit in the heart or brain or something, most of the time you would just be maimed and ineffective in the fight, killed slowly if you bleed out or get hit in the lungs
>>
>>71030537

they generally get around this by shooting people in the heart or the brain, as you said

i dont remember seeing anybody die from arrows to elsewhere
>>
nice and strange thread

Anatomy of A Scene: The Battle of Winterfell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B93k4uhpf7g&ab_channel=GameofThrones
>>
>>71030649
You should rewatch when they storm winterfell

I swear the bow and arrows are more effective than guns, they just drop dead like flies
>>
>>71030504
You're right of course, but there were a couple exceptions where melee infantry (men-at-arms) used pavise shields in the 14th century, as a counter to English archers.
>>
>>71030717
Bows WERE more effective than guns for hundreds of years.

The kings longbows would have been able to take Napoleonic regiments.
>>
>>71029261
The Romans did not use the Phalanx, that was a formation used by Macedonia, Seleucid Empire and other Hellenic kingdoms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xOepuz2hBo
>>
>>71030762
Romans did use Phalanx in the early republic. But yes... mid republic the reformed their strategy.

Also Phalanx reemerged in the renaissance era with European pikes.
>>
>>71030672
nice
>>
>>71030747
fair enough. I also could understand Ramsay bringing them out if this was his master plan.
>>
>>71030849
Pike and shot is an entirely different ballgame to a phalanx.
>>
>>71029772

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWN
>>
>>71029373

He also knew that Jon would just patiently wait to be surrounded by the spearwall.

Truly a military genius.
>>
So, staying on topic here:

How likely is it that something like the slave owners' fleet, Khaleesi's army and Littlefinger's troop could just pass by any scout, any civilian, any guard, etc?

This whole thing sounds pretty fucking stupid to me but then again I'm ignorant on medieval warfare so I don't want to give any nerd the cue to go

>acshually, that's exactly what happened in 908 at the Battle of...
>>
>>71031212
The amount of autism in this post is astounding.
>>
>>71031212
Armies often had no idea what their allies were doing. Let alone enemies, it's entirely plausible in my opinion.
>>
>>71031212
I find it unplausable. There must have been scouts and a chain of communications somewhere. No way they just march up there without anyone knowing beforehand
>>
They directly referenced the woman who got her face eaten by a pitbull

How fucking sick are these people?
>>
>>71028941

and 500 years later literally the same thing happened with tanks in Russia
>>
>>71031379
it's possible with the slavers because they were described in the books as being absurdly incompetent in all aspects of warfare, to the point where it's implausible that they even still exist as independent states
>>
>>71030390
early Romans fought in a phalanx
>>
>>71031464

literally use a different fucking word you illiterate vocabulary lacking shit excuse for a human being
>>
>>71031464
world war 2? T-34s had wide belts or whatever you call it so they were pretty adapted to muddy terrain
>>
>>71030752
except guns don't require training to fire, so Napoleon could reinforce his army the next day
>>
>>71031530
>criticizes another individual for possessing a limited vocabulary
>uses a curse word
>>
>>71029772
>In mereen...the heated shots is for the most part not historical.
Gee Copernicus, now are you going to tell me that DRAGONS are not historical too??
>>
>>71031629

how is swearing reflective of my lack of vocabulary?

Using a word so superfluously to add emphasis to a sentence when none is needed in the first place reveals a complete lack of literate competency, especially when it shows up in typed/written conversation as opposed to commonly butchered verbal conversation (in other words, when you and your friends talk in casual dialog, it's acceptable)

You learned a new 3-4 syllable word that everyone else is using in an attempt to add emphasis or excitement to something they're saying while making a failed attempt to appear intelligent since the word being used is ass FUCKING backwards.

I just typed this.

I literally just typed this.

It's FUCKING redundant.
>>
>>71031212
highly unlikely unless there was a massive blizzard.
>>
>>71030158

They had months, the first fucking thing you would fix is the gate.
>>
>>71031629

btw, I'm not criticizing anon for possessing limited vocabulary.

I'm criticizing him for using a commonly misused word (whenever the hell 'literally' became the new 'like') which then reveals a limited depth to his vocabulary.

Comprehension, faggot, go get some.
>>
>>71030504

looks like hes skiing
>>
>>71031530

2016 word of the year bitch
>>
>>71031814
>>71031946
Look at you. Screaming into the abyss of the internet. What a brave little man.
>>
>>71032048

I'm sipping on my own precum as I type. I am that brave man.
>>
>>71029746
>hey askreddit, how do I learn not to give a fuck?
>sort comments by top
>4496 upboats: just pretend not to care about anything and mock people who present even the slightest hint to the contrary
>thanks reddit, have an upboat
>>
>>71032177
Is that the most hurtful thing you could come up with?
>>
why didn't they craft a bow a wun wun to use? he could have sniped a dozen or so
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.