[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished this. Why is this movie so critically acclaimed?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: fargo-primary.png (256 KB, 640x430) Image search: [Google]
fargo-primary.png
256 KB, 640x430
Just finished this. Why is this movie so critically acclaimed?
>>
it's pretty good
>>
Because it's very good like the majority of Coen bros kinos. Off kilter noir with an unlikely protagonist and setting.
>>
>>71011940
I have no idea. It has no merits beyond being quirky. If that is even a merit.
>>
>>71011940
List all the movies better than this one that came out that same year.
If your list has less than 5 items it means Fargo was pretty good.
>>
>>71012134
I was just going to say that it was probably the timing of the release
>>
File: 1465773185451.png (276 KB, 796x934) Image search: [Google]
1465773185451.png
276 KB, 796x934
>>71011940

>watching a movie with an IMDB page that includes "comedy"
>kek
>>
>>71012134

Trainspotting
James & The Giant Peach
Sling Blade
Pusher
Ransom

1996 was a slow year but it doesn't mean that Fargo is good.
>>
It's very unique, beautifully shot and scored, well acted, funny, a distinct take on noir, memorable characters and dialogue, and the ending is unexpectedly moving every time I see it

>And here you are. And it's a beautiful day.

>>71012178
What kind of stupid logic is this? You think people only like it because there wasn't much else in 1996? How does that explain why it's so popular 20 years later
>>
>>71012470
None of those are better, sad!
>>
>>71012596

>None of those are better, sad!

You sound like a middle-aged woman commenting on a Yahoo! news article. If that's all the rebuttal you have, fuck off.
>>
>>71012470

>a shitty drug movie
>a children's movie
>a shitty movie for teens
>a laughably awful movie by the hilariously awful Pusher
>are you fucking serious?

you sound like a top pleb

I mean Fargo isn't even one of the Coens' very best movies but it's still better than all of the trash you posted
>>
>>71012525
Idk that's what I wad hopping to figire out itt. I don't find it the least bit funny just bizzare and jarring. The dark parts are really dark and the funny parts don't hit the mark. The pritagonist is uninteresting and the accents almost insulting
>>
>>71012820
he's clearly doing a Trump impersonation.
>>
>>71012900

Tell me what's so great about Fargo, without using the noir meme.
>>
>>71012920
You need to watch more cinema if you're interested in understanding the film and the medium. It's not particularly bizarre or jarring and by that rationale many of the greatest films might strike you similarly.
>>
>>71011940
because the crtics acclaimed it
>>
>>71012920

There's nothing to figure out, retard. You have your distinct(ly shitty) tastes and it doesn't match the consensus of smarter critics than you. Just let it go and find another film
>>
>>71013038
>noir meme

this

see also the psychological thriller meme, the romantic comedy meme, the action meme, the buddy cop meme, the drama meme, the coming of age meme, the slapstick meme, the character study meme, the list goes on and on
>>
Here's Roger Ebert's entry on Fargo in his Great Movies series.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-fargo-1996
>>
>>71013048
I don't think so. Peter stomare grunting like an animal hunting down those two witnesses or steve buscemi turning to the camera wild eyed and wiyh half his face blown off saying "you should see...the other guy" was a weird contrast to bimbling margie or bumbling william h macy it was as if the four characters were in two separate movie

What other movies have jarring inconsistencies like that can u give examples?
>>
>>71013184
>what other other movies feature characters that are different from each other?

I mean, the "u" should have given it away, but you are clearly a fucking retard.
>>
>>71013038

again, I don't think it's one of the Coens' best movies.

That being said, I think it's extremely atmospheric, it diligently establishes a very distinct, specific sense of tone and place through its use of music, dialog, and photography. The characterization is all great and its bleak views on human relations allow for the romantic bond between Margie and Norm to actually feel moving by the time the movie ends, the one main bright spot in the catalogue of unpleasantness that is most of the film's characters. The Coens are obsessed with exploring a nihilistic world in which human beings are driven by self-interest and are willing to inflict gratuitous violence on one another to get what they want. I think Fargo does a good job of exploring those ideas while also being hugely entertaining, containing memorable characters and a propulsive plot.

I think their other movies like Llewyn Davis and No Country For Old Men are on another level entirely
>>
>>71013380
> I can't refute any points and give any tgought not parrated from my interney critiques

Ok m8 go watch your paul thomas anderson and ill make you some warm cocoa
>>
>>71013384
Good summation, much like Burn After Reading it also sorta nails the inconsequential nature of all of it. Among a vast world this is but a tiny slice of life, a macabre series of events, intense, yet fleeting. Life goes on. Also OP calls noir a meme, but part of the charm is seeing these atypical characters inhabit and bend a noir template.
>>
>>71013625
Burn After Reading was way, way more nihilistic than Fargo. In Fargo Marge serves as a moral compass, the one person who sees and does the right thing and carries on to be happy after the events of the film. There is still good in the world with people like Marge. In BAR everyone dies or gets fucked and the punchline is "What did we learn? I don't know"
>>
>>71013384
>I don't think it's one of the Coens' best movies.
What would you say is their best? Big Lebowski or Serious Man?
>>
>>71011940
It was okay
I felt disappointed after watching it because I love the Coen brothers and it's one of their most famous
I agree with you, I don't understand the huge critical acclaim
>>
>>71012056
>>71012920
THAT'S THE POINT
>>
>>71011940

In spite of being "quirky" like the other guy said, it tells a palatable, conventional story:

-Although a tragedy claims multiple lives, good ultimately triumphs over evil. The story closes with every bad guy being either caught or killed, and the surviving good guys are free to live the rest of their lives in peace.

-The story bounces around three disparate elements, orbiting a singular theme of tragedy in the north. This echoes the recent success of Pulp Fiction (although this narrative is presented chronologically); other flicks which deftly handle the "three (or four) related narratives" include the later NCFOM, and the battle of Endor sequence at the end of ROTJ. There's probably a "trope" whihc describes this, but following about three-or-four related things going on at once is about the upper limit of an audience's cognitive ability, and it is intellectualy engaging for most. Although there have of course been similarly complex literary narratives, people in the early days of film didn't trust that an audience would be able to follow that level of detail in the medium of movie. Of course, it turned out that they can. Another good "early-modern" example of what I"m talking about is Nosferatu, which has genuinely modern pacing (especially in the climactic sequence), breaking away from earlier films like Cabinet-Caligari.

-I saw it in a theater recently and I'd forgotten that Fargo is actually rather short. Maybe it's just nice to have a 95-minute flick once in a while rather than some 2+ hour chore of an oscarbait.
>>
>>71012056
not true at all, its got great shot composition and editing. also some tense moments that build to some pretty solid r-rated violence.
>>
I don't get it either. Their recent output is miles better than this
>>
>>71013448
ok not the guy your responding too but he was honestly trying to help you understand why your wrong but your just acting like a fucking baby,
>>
>>71011940
it's definitely gotten worse with age. I remember the violence being shocking back in the day, but now it's pretty standard. And the comedic elements fall flat on repeated viewings.
>>
>>71012134
Shit argument but:

>The People vs. Larry Flint
>Conspirators of Pleasure
>Hard Eight
>Drifting Clouds
>Breaking the Waves

1996 was a pretty shit year over all
>>
>>71011940
Dunno about the movie but the TV show is amazing
>>
>>71011940
It's filled with the craftmanships. One of the Coen's best work.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.