[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which series is better? Halloween Friday the 13th Texas Chainsaw
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 15
Which series is better?
Halloween
Friday the 13th
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
>>
Friday the 13th
>>
>>71002487
Gay
>>
Nightmare on Elm Street
>>
>>71002470
The TCM reboots were the only ones worth a shit unless you were actually there when the first one came out. Halloween had about 3 ok movies. Friday the 13th had about 6-7 good ones. You also forgot Nightmare on Elm street, which were basically all good.
>>
Halloween peaked at 4.
Friday the 13th peaked at 7.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre peaked at 2.
A Nightmare on Elm Street peaked at 4.

Winner: Friday the 13th
>>
Gonna watch some elm street and friday the 13th movies

Is elm street 3-4 & new nightmare and friday 13th 4 & 6 any good?
>>
I remember seeing bits of these movies when I was a kid and I didn't understand the appeal of seeing a bunch of teenagers getting stabbed over and over again and I figured it was something for adults and I'd understand when I was older

now I am older and realize that there's nothing to get and the whole slasher genre is complete garbage for retards
>>
>>71003120
6 is good.
>>71003120
This guy knows.
>>
>>71003205
>annoying teenagers getting killed
It's fun and satisfying.
>>
>>71002470

tbqh I don't know the franchises that well, but I've seen all the original films, of which TCM is far and away the most important.

I remember liking Halloween II as a kid. I'm told the TCM immediate sequel is very good but I haven't been. The Jason movies get very schlocky and stupid, very fast.
>>
Original films?
Halloween or TCM

as a franchise?
Elm Street is the most consistently creative and interesting. Scary? Not really but I don't think any of these series retained any really horror so at least Elm Street embraced that
>>
>>71002470
Halloween has one movie(the original) that is better than all the movies in those two other franchises, one good movie(Halloween III) which is unrelated to to the rest of its franchise, and two okay movie(Halloween 2, H20). Texas Chainsaw Massacre has one great movie(the original) and one sequel that is good for completely different reasons(TCM2). Friday The 13th is schlock throughout, but the first six and Jason X are slightly more entertaining schlock.
>>
>>71003537

>The Jason movies get very schlocky and stupid, very fast.

thats the redeeming thing about the series
>>
I wasn't expecting all this Jason love
>>
>>71003686
This 100%
>>
>>71003792
Honestly. Its like the directors knew they were just killing teenagers. Do it stupidly with a kewl character that will last in horror history forever. Beating a whore with another whore was pretty self aware.
>>
Halloween 1 and Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1 are masterpieces. Friday the 13th Part 1 can't exactly live up to those two, but the sequels are better than both of the formers' sequels. So F13 wins
>>
>>71003753
H4 and H5 are better than H20
>>
>>71004240
I intensely dislike all the cult stuff, so H20 wins by default for me. It also has Jamie Lee Curtis and is better directed.
>>
>>
>>71002470
Hellraiser

Fite me
>>
>>71004493
Well yeah the cult stuff is retarded, but it doesn't make an introduction until the very end of 5.
>>
F13, most iconic slasher of the 4, best atmosphere and setting, indestructible killer that atleast gives us a reason why he's indestructible unlike Halloween where it's just a regular human, NMOES franchise is Childs Play tier, TCM is isn't even in the discussion, the 03 REMAKE was the best film of the franchise
>>
>>71006127
How does it feel having terrible taste?
>>
>>71002470
>Halloween
Everything after 3 is complete shit

>Texas Chainsaw Massacre
only good ones are the first two

>Friday the 13th
Easily the most consistent of the three series you listed, there are actually more good than bad.

Anyway Nightmare on Elm Street beats them all
>>
>71003090
>The TCM reboots were the only ones worth a shit
>You also forgot Nightmare on Elm street, which were basically all good.
I found the worst taste ITT
>>
>>71006127
>atleast gives us a reason why he's indestructible unlike Halloween where it's just a regular human
Maybe you should rewatch the original Halloween, and actually pay attention this time champ
>>
Here's my hot opinions:

Original TCM and original Halloween are the best out of those. TCM2 is a comedy, but it's pretty good too.
Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street are garbage, and Wes Craven was a talentless hack.
Black Christmas is the best slasher movie ever.
>>
>>71006692
>NOES
>garbage
I can agree with Friday the 13th but NOES is great. It's unique and creative. How can you not appreciate all the crazy dream deaths?
>>
>>71004493
>Jamie Lee Curtis
My God, why? Fuck that cunt. She's the worst part of the original, can't act for shit, and making her "badass" in H20 only made Myers more of a joke.
>>
>>71006692
>Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street are garbage, and Wes Craven was a talentless hack
>Black Christmas is the best slasher movie ever
I don't even
>>
>>71006790
>She's the worst part of the original, can't act for shit
You can say this about almost all actors from the original.
>>
>>71006461
>Everything after 3 is complete shit
4 is a far more proper sequel to Halloween 2 than 3 is.
>>
>>71006777
Unique =/= good. They're not even slightly creative. David Lynch could've done something good with the premise of a literally nightmarish serial killer, but unfortunately it was Wes "horror movies should be silly shit" Craven who came up with it. Because Freddy Krueger may as well be a joke character.
>How can you not appreciate all the crazy dream deaths
Because they're dumb cheesy shit. Because Wes Craven had zero understanding what makes good horror which is why all of his movies are fucking comedies at best.
>>
>>71006896
Well, she's especially awful.
>>
>>71006616
Not him but, there is no supernatural or explanation given. He is just evil.
>>
>>71006931
I don't care about whether it's a proper sequel or not, it's crap. Even 2 & 3 are just above-average, the original is the only genuinely remarkable film in the series.
>>
File: tumblr_ncwxjkj0Y31qav174o4_500.gif (1 MB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ncwxjkj0Y31qav174o4_500.gif
1 MB, 500x250
>>71006790
No. Myers gettin BTFO by Busta Rhymes made him a complete joke
>>
OP here, I left out freddy Krueger because I fucking hate those movies.
>>
>>71007162
That was just the last nail in the coffin.
Laurie being TUFF GURL still did some damage.
I hate this "female leads in horror movies" meme. No villain who can be defeated by a female can be scary.
>>
>>71007131
It isn't explained with exposition, but it is heavily implied that he is a supernatural evil force, i.e. The Boogeyman.

There's a reason he's listed as "The Shape" and not "Michael Myers" in the credits
>>
Friday the 13th > A Nightmare on Elm Street > Halloween > Texas Chainsaw Massacre

>>71003120 = accurate
>>
>>71007162
Comedy gold right here
>>
>>71007162
Resurrection was worse than Rob Zombie's shit.
Somehow.
>>
>>71007286
How does child become the boogeyman ?
>>
>>71007153
But it has a great intro.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7nwMfSdlj7Y
>>
>>71006955
I disagree. Lynch would've made a completely different film and there is nothing wrong with some camp. It's part of the charm.
Campy horror movies are as old as the medium itself.
>>
>>71007424
By having no soul? Again, it's implicit not explicit. Use your imagination, and I also recommend listing to the audio commentary by Carpenter and Jamie Lee
>>
>>71007510
Camp is okay in doses that don't outweigh the horror (like Cabinet of Doctor Caligari or any Boris Karloff movie for that matter), but Craven was incapable of not overdosing his movies with it to the point where it's barely horror.
>>
>>71007759
You're probably thinking about later parts.

>Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
It's not campy at all.
>>
File: image.jpg (452 KB, 830x1388) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
452 KB, 830x1388
>>71002487
>first movie isn't even that good
>iconic killer look doesn't show up until the third movie
Halloween is the greatest with its first movie alone
>>
>>71008339
Is the w3cond one even good?
>>
TCM is the best stand alone film
Nightmare on Elm Street is the best franchise
Halloween and Friday the 13th are ridiculously overrated
>>
Everyone here calling them selves a horror movie fan and picking what is the better series.
I like them all.
>>
>>71002470
Michael Myers has the coolest concept
He's a force of nature that has no motive he's just a killing force like a tornado
He's not a human under that mask he's just a shape
Fear the unknown
>>
File: image.png (366 KB, 640x430) Image search: [Google]
image.png
366 KB, 640x430
>>71008647
Forgot cool pic
>>
>>71008514
>Hopkins
God he was awful.
I wish Cox was still in shape, because he's the only incarnation of the character that I don't hate.
>>
>>71006127
>just an OP zombie
Fuck off
I do like the comfy camp setting though
>>
Are there any good slasher movies about cannibals other than TCM?
I love the Sawney Bean legend, but most of the flicks based on it are just LOLREDNECKS. I mean, that's what TCM was but it was original and less over-the-top than most I've seen.
>>
>>71008514
Where's the thing?
The collector should not be on there, shit movies
>>
>>71008866
Open your eyes and look dumbass.
>>
>>71008984
He probably thinks it's that twin from Hellraiser IV.
>>
>>71008984
The only thing that looks close is the warped faces coming out of Freddy's chest, I assumed that is from a Freddy movie. Should have done spider head or screaming guy with thing hands
>>
I'm watching Jason X.

Holy shit this is bad. And the one chick looks like a mixed Olivia munn
>>
File: B3RCb3OCIAAzi6J.jpg (126 KB, 600x902) Image search: [Google]
B3RCb3OCIAAzi6J.jpg
126 KB, 600x902
>>71008514
The only person missing
>>
>>71008647
What you described wasn't Myers original concept though, in the original he was just a crazy guy that escaped a Asylum and stalked a random girl in the suburbs
>>
>>71008479
The third Friday? It's a lot of fun, it's classic lets point a lot of stuff at the camera 3D and 80s cheese
>>
>>71009508
No, watch it Again.
It is a little goofy when he drives around in a car though
>>
>>71005870
/thread
>>
File: image.jpg (123 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
123 KB, 1280x720
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amZQdMtjNA8
Based theme music
>Freddy:perv who likes killing
>Jason: zombie mommas boy
MICHAEL MYERS: PURE EVIL
>>
File: Wes-02.jpg (39 KB, 450x244) Image search: [Google]
Wes-02.jpg
39 KB, 450x244
>>71009911
Freddy Krueger is a pervert who likes killing little kids and Michale Myers kills teens, i would say Freddy is pure evil.
>>
I like Halloween the best because of the atmosphere, but F13 has the most good entries by a long shot.

TCM has the least good films but 1 and 2 are GOAT.
>>
I like Halloween 1 & 2, Friday the 13th 1, 4 & 6 and TCM 1, 2 & 3.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 1, 3 & 7 better.
>>
>>71010603
Don't like HALLOWEEN 3, A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 2, FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 5. Why do people hate these ones i dont get it.
>>
Hellraiser
>>
>>71010235
Myers doesn't have any killing boundaries
>>
>>71010962
Fuck, I forgot about Halloween III. That one's cool too.

Elm Street 2 was just off, imo. Not a terrible movie, there's just something about it that doesn't make it work.

>F13 part 5

o i am laffin
>>
>>71010962
Not him, but I sure did enjoy the homoerotic undertones in Nightmare 2
>>
>>71011026
>Myers doesn't have any killing boundaries
pretty much his motive is just to kill his family and anyone who gets in his way.
>>
File: CrazyLoomis&CuteMuteJamie.png (1 MB, 1280x688) Image search: [Google]
CrazyLoomis&CuteMuteJamie.png
1 MB, 1280x688
Halloween III was great. Unique concept, catch song, fun trip.
Halloween 4-5 were really good. Danielle Harris is the best.

TCM is a perfect horror movie.
TCM: The Next Generation is very fun. Who can hate Matthew McConaughey and an autistc Renee Zellweger?

Friday 13th 2 is fun.
Friday 13th 4: The Final Chapter is where things get rolling.
Firday 13th 5: Is my favorite in the series. Juwanna Mann. Reggie the Reckless. Cute goth Vy. Wise old black man. Crazy old Ethel.
Friday 13th 8: Plain awful. Jason on a boat is not fun and had no fun characters. Little Rennie and Toby the dog save this movie from being a complete failure.
>>
Haven't ever really watched any of those movies, except for some remakes I think. Where do I start?
>>
>>71011556
Mmm I'd recommend you to start from the first movies
>>
>>71002470
Halloween, because it has more than one good film in its series.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a far better film than Halloween, though.
>>
File: 1465881826745.gif (954 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1465881826745.gif
954 KB, 400x300
>>71011083
Those aren't undertones, those are hammer it into your head you're watching a fag tones.

That part when Freddy comes out of Jesse's body at the pool party is legitimately retarded. Doesn't kill anyone and runs around a pool.

>Hey were you guys actually scared by fedoralord faggot Jesse?
>>
>>71002470
If you look at them as series than they all suck because the only good one in all of them is the first one.

Objective rankings.

Halloween-Texas Chainsaw Massacre>>>>>>>>>>>>Friday the 13th
>>
>>71011556
Halloween: 1 is god tier horror, 2 is really good too and often overlooked. 3 doesn't follow the Myers story anymore, but it has a cult following. The rest can likely be ignored (never seen em all) Remake is p good though.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre has one God tier movie (the original) three good/pretty good movies (2, remake, The Beginning) one average tier (3) and two absolute shit tier (4/TNG, TC3d.)

Friday the 13th is the only one that's really self aware (except TCM2.) They're all good fun, they're cheesy but they know it. God tier (4,6) good tier (1,2,3,7, FvJ) average tier (5 which is underrated,8, remake) and shit tier (JGtH, Jason X).

I'd say TCM has the lowest points in all of the series, but the original is just as good, if not better than Halloween 1. It's all up to what kind of movies you like to say which series is the best. They all have high points and pretty shit points.
>>
>>71011556
>>71013634
Remember that these are just opinions by people you've never met and have no understanding of why they liked these movies. The only way to find out if they're good, is if you enjoy them through watching.

>>71011692
Do this. Start from the beginning of the series, and don't skip any. You'll probably love some and hate others, but it's the only way.
>>
Just watched Friday the 13th today for the first time. It was fucking baffling how dull and by-the-numbers it was. Are there any films in the series worth watching, even if they're so-bad-they're-good?
>>
>>71015464
The first Texas Chainsaw Massacre has great aesthetic.
>>
>>71015697
Have it downloaded, going to watch it next. Should I just give up on Friday the 13th if I didn't enjoy the first one?
>>
>>71015464
>>71015697
Oh, you meant the friday the 13th series...Well 4 and 6 are pretty gud if you ask me
>>
>>71016108
4 and 6 are bonkers. Also you can give the third one a chance.
>>
I'm not alone in thinking Halloween should've remained an anthology series after 3, am I? The first two films were fucking GOAT as-is. 4 and 5 were decent enough too, but still extremely lackluster by comparison. And after that, the series never recovered from that drop in quality.

The concept of a franchise called "Halloween" that could go in any direction to capture the spirit of the holiday (or hell, even the simply essence of the "Horror" genre in general) just really clicked with me when I was younger. Each sequel could've been forced to be GOAT on it's own merits, and kept alive on fresh new ideas, but no. They just had to continue the slashershit route like Friday The 13th was, which by then was already retooled to make Jason into basically a zombie Micheal Myers in a hockey mask.
>>
>>71003194
> ANOES 3
Dream Warriors was the movie that bridges the gap between the darker, more menacing Freddy Krueger of the original and the jokester of the latter half of the series. It's the second of three ANOES sequels to actually involve Wes Craven.

It's good.

> ANOES 4
The Dream Master marks the beginning of silly Freddy. It's dumb but it's fun.

Good for movie night.

> New Nightmare
It's not a true ANOES movie and you'll understand why upon watching it. It's a unique movie in Wes Craven's filmography.

Worth watching.

> F13 Part 4
In my opinion, there are two flavors of Jason and it hinges upon whether he is alive or not. The Final Chapter is peak "living" Jason.

See it if you want to watch that ideal, archetypal Friday the 13th movie you have in your head.

> F13 Part 6
On the other hand, Jason Lives is the archetypal "zombie" Jason movie and is arguably the peak of that Jason.

> Movie Night Double Features

Friday the 13th Part 4: The Final Chapter + A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors

F13 Part 6: Jason Lives + ANOES 4: The Dream Master
>>
>>71003205
> older
Looking forward to the next Marvel joint?
>>
>>71003830
You did not expect /tv/ to love a big guy who wears a mask?
>>
>sleazy and cheesy slasher b-horror movies will never be a trend again
Why even live? It's all young adult and ghost stories shit now
>>
>>71017054
Not at all. It had potential to become a stronger horror institution than what we ultimately got.
>>
File: 1465856470779.png (298 KB, 511x754) Image search: [Google]
1465856470779.png
298 KB, 511x754
>>71018068
Bane horror movie when? I just imagine Bane chasing people while he gets shit done now. Thanks anon, you made Friday movies even better.
>>
>>71003205
this.
>>71003323
No, a video game of you hunting them maybe fun if you really hate teens but in films like this you are stuck watching people you hate do the stuff you hate, most of the time they don't even got interesting deaths.The time I realized the whole thing was idiotic was when I watched saw 6 and it raged against bankers because that was the trend at the time
>>
What other movies do you guys recommend? I know that Italy used to make horror movies but I dn't know where to start
>>
>>71002487
Worst movies individually but best series collectively
>>
Even the bad movies in all these series have something interesting about them, except for Halloween Resurrection which was complete dog shit. When Busta Rhymes is the highlight of your horror movie, something is terribly wrong.

If anyone has the DVD or Blu-Ray, the commentary for Friday the 13th A New Beginning is one of the best out there. It's the director just sitting there trashing his own movie the entire time.
>>
>>71019843
Start with Dario Argento. Suspiria, Deep Red, Phenomena and Inferno. Then check out Mario Bava's Black Sunday and Black Sabbath, then Lucio Fulci's Zombie and The Beyond. Those are the entry level flagships.
>>
>>71008814
Hills have eyes?
>>
>Blumhouse Halloween 2017
>Rob Zombie tier TCM prequel 2016

Which will be worse
>>
>>71020194
Thanks
>>
>>71020550
The Hills Have Eyed remake is fucking excellent
>>
>>71003194
New Nightmare is different, because it has the people from the movies playing themselves as the actors and the movie has come to life, it's interesting to watch.
>>
I just remembered this in case anyone's never seen it. Audience reaction from Halloween from a 1979 screening -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ1M3P1isHA
>>
>>71009608
Yea, where did someone who's been in a psych ward since age 6 learn to drive?
I doubt the funny farm had a drivers ed program.
>>
Was Friday 13th remake any good?
>>
>>71020882
> you will never have a shared experience with an audience like this today
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.