[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Thing Discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
Just finished the movie, and I have to ask.
Was Childs really part of the infected at the end of the movie?
>>
Well it's a nihilist film with no confirmed ending.
The director has been very strict with keeping it ambiguous, only speaking out on it a couple times to dispel wild theories (specifically the one claiming that it was gasoline in the bottle at the end of the film).

My personal opinion is that neither of them were infected, keeping them both paranoid and on edge until one of them finally passed, followed by the other.
>>
It's ambiguous. However keep in mind that the 3 movie series that it's a part of is called the apocalypse trilogy.
>>
>>70993451
The other two can't hold a candle to The Thing though
>>
>>70993005
I would love to see them make a 3rd film set after the 80's one.

Make the Thing spread to a bigger nearby camp which is close to a boat that has oncoming people into Antarctica.

It turns out one gets infected and then a new main character is concerned that people who are leaving Antarctica and using boats may also be infected.

What then happens is an even bigger test where they have to test over 200 people if one of them is the Thing.

Now THAT would be an instant classic to watch. A type of 12 Angry Men take.
>>
>>70993476
I wasn't saying anything of quality. I was just saying that Carpenter himself calls the 3 movies the Apocalypse Trilogy. Arguably all the movies in that series have fairly ambiguous endings.
>>
>>70993519
Eh I would prefer not to see the massive CGI mess that movie would 100% be. Let sleeping dogs lie
>>
>>70993005

No, I don't think so. He has breath coming out and he still has his ear piercing.

Also, The Thing is one of the few movies that gets better and better upon repeated viewings. Every time I watch it, I notice something new.
>>
>>70993476
I think They Live can. Not at release, but it accurately portrayed what society was to become. Sans aliens.

And Childs was the thing. It cant regulate its own body temperature, and when he was exhaling there was no water vapor.
>>
>>70993586
nah this version wouldn't have heaps of the creature.

It would be like 1979's Alien. You see maybe one guy who is infected who transforms into the Thing and then after he dies; majority of the rest of the movie is the main protagonist trying to find out if anyone else is infected.

We get some certain psychological affects by others such as people passing out, randomly acting insane - but after he tests them, they show they are not infected so it keeps the audience guessing who it is.

UNTIL the final scene when we find out who it is and then yes a massive Thing creature appears which pays off - hopefully it wouldn't be entire CGI.
>>
>>70993609
The trilogy is The Thing, In The Mountains of Madness and Prince of Darkness
>>
Is the 2011 prequel really that bad? Is it worth a watch at least?
>>
>>70993651
That sounds awful.
>>
>>70993661
It's not even bad because the 86 version was amazing it's bad because it's fucking shit and has a mediocre lead actress, terrible effects that remind us why practice is better and all in all it was a jarring movie in the worst ways possible.

No suspense or any of the shit that made the 2nd so good
>>
>>70993661
It's not a bad movie.
>>
>>70993655
Oh. Well, they live is still based.
>>
>>70993661
It's not bad, it's not good, hell it even isn't mediocre. It just is what it is.
>>
>>70993661
It seems to be like the third terminator, bland, bad and out of ideas
>>
>>70993689
Well your taste is shit
>>
>>70993661
It's a great 7/10 film! The only reason I guess it gets hate for is the CGI (Actually the CGI looked pretty realistic in parts and wasn't all that bad but still fucking pissed they didn't use the practical effects).

Yes watch it. The way it ends was very based.
>>
>>70993902
Fuck you. Terminator 3 is a great movie.

>it has too much action
oh fuck that. I wish movies nowadays had as much action as Equilibrium, Terminator 3 etc had.

Terminator Genisys hardly had any in the second half.
>>
>>70993383
>Well it's a nihilist film
>nihilist

You clearly have no idea what the definition of nihilism is. Please stop.
>>
>>70993519

Im so glad fans dont get to write scripts
>>
>>70994215
Nah I can just sniff out terrible fan-fic ideas. Does it end with you and MacReady being best friends too?
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 485x242) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 485x242
>>70993005
Was Blair the thing when he ran the simulation and then went nuts and sabotaged the helicopter?
>>
>>70993661
Genuinly have no idea why it gets all the hate. The Thing acts smarter and the infection process is more concise. It also has better transformations despite ditching the practicals.
I saw the prequel before the Carpenter remake and was really confused from the getgo when dogething arrives, licks the guys face and nothing of consequence comes from it
>>
>>70994880
maybe
>>
I just finished watching The Thing and was gonna make a thread about it and then found this. All around fantastic movie. I definitely should have watched it years ago.
>>
>>70993609
>And Childs was the thing. It cant regulate its own body temperature, and when he was exhaling there was no water vapor.
Stop
>>
>>70993005
It's left ambiguous and really it's not a question that actually needs to be answered. As far as the characters are concerned, they are doomed. There is no survival in that cold once the fire stops burning and there will be no rescue in time.

I guess you could wonder if it means doom for humanity, but no one in that scene gives a damn at that point because there is nothing they can do. And that's the most terrifying thing of all.

One of those movies where the simple musical theme is very effective.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnFc7D0ZoCc
>>
File: 4935.jpg (105 KB, 300x321) Image search: [Google]
4935.jpg
105 KB, 300x321
>>70995043

>being this millennial
>>
>>70993609
>And Childs was the thing. It cant regulate its own body temperature, and when he was exhaling there was no water vapor.

Carpenter himself said it was ambiguous and you couldn't tell from the movie
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.