[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bill watterson is almost 60 now , He can't keep the rights
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 12
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 259x194
Bill watterson is almost 60 now , He can't keep the rights safe forever
> Yfw you'll see his work bastardized on screen in your life time , likely soon after his death to cash in on "memorial" and "nostalgia"
>>
>>70984803
damn, 60? he's practically on his death bed
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2351x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2351x1200
>>70984803
His son is a tard iirc
His wife will get the rights , if not, or when she dies , they do the same as the dude who wrote redwall and takes it all to his grave
>>
The rights are safe
That Christmas movie with the ovaltine (can never remember the damn name) is closes as we will ever get thank demonbane
>>
DELETE THIS
>>
>>70984803
Out of respect he and the care takers of his estate should put measures in place to prevent this, as I'm sure they already have.

On a side note, though he's a bit of a recluse, I've heard he lives not far from me and as a life long fan I've often been torn between respecting his privacy and trying to look him up and get an autograph. I just worry that I'd be bothering him with things he's already heard a million times and it wouldn't really be that fulfilling. What's that expression? "Always meet your idols"?
>>
I'm still waiting for that movie adaptation of Catcher in the Rye starring Kirstin Wigg.
>>
>>70984841
He'll be fine.
>>
Who do you identify more with? Calvin or Hobbes?
>>
>>70984803
>completely different animation styles for the fantasies
>Bruce Tim style stupendous man
>noodlearm spaceman spiff
>studio bones presents: tracer bullet
>>
File: Donald Autograph hound.jpg (8 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
Donald Autograph hound.jpg
8 KB, 256x192
>>70985041

I've never understood autograph hounds. What do you do with it? Frame it? Do you invite your friends over to look at your autographs so you can say "Yup, this famous person might have signed this."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWRfQTvfORw
>>
>>70985128
John Calvin or Thomas Hobbes?
>>
>>70985128
It's clear that Hobbes is far smarter than Calvin, so od course I gravitated towards him when I was a kid, but as I've aged I've recognized more and more of myself I'm Calvin, and not at all in a good way.
>>
>>70985213

Hobbes is a figment of Calvin's imagination, which means Calvin is as smart as Hobbes.
>>
>>70985270
Yeah, that's the problem. The fact that Calvin does as much stupid shit as he does means he knows better, but he chooses the stupid route every time instead of listening to his better impulses.
>>
>>70985270
Right, but Calvin's intellignce never manifests in the "real world". He's a failure at school and terrorizes his parents. His intelligent side is buried in the world of his imagination. I think this is actually relatable for a lot of people.
>>
File: 1465966784875.jpg (151 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
1465966784875.jpg
151 KB, 612x380
>Hobbes was a figment of Calvin's imagination
>Hobbes was convinced Calvin liked Susie
>YFW Calvin and Susie probably banged when they got older.
>>
>>70985213
That's funny that you think it's so plainly obvious that Hobbes is smarter than Calvin. I think they both exhibit great intelligence and stupidity depending on the situation. The thing I think you could say exemplifies them both however is that they're both ultimately driven by a good and warm heart.
>>70985158
>What do you do with it? Frame it?
Yeah maybe. It's a way to immortalize a very personal piece of someone you respect. It doesn't make very much logical sense on paper, but then again neither does the act of hugging.
>>
>>70985371
She's based on Watterson's wife when she was a little girl dude.
>>
>>70985391

So how is that any different than having a shelf filled with his works, other than you mildly inconvenienced a stranger.
>>
>>70985158
That quality animation.
>>
>>70985455
how come they used to turn that shit out like clockwork in the old day but now everyone bitches about how expensive traditional animation is?
>>
I would unironically kill myself
>>
>>70985485

Because Walt had standards and expected his employees to work and produce quality, somehow making him an anti-semite. Now they farm most of it out to Korea.
>>
>>70985451
It's the fact that it wasn't mass produced. It's from the artist's hand. The "mildly inconveniencing a stranger" aspect is assuming that part of it is tracking the person down and making them sign their name in front of you. I don't think that's important at all. I'd be just as happy, and I think most people that appreciate autographs would as well, purchase their autograph second hand or have it sent via correspondence. The part you're not getting is how personal it is- that's what counts.
>>
File: graphics-calvin-678857.gif (33 KB, 186x187) Image search: [Google]
graphics-calvin-678857.gif
33 KB, 186x187
>>70984965
>That Christmas movie with the ovaltine (can never remember the damn name)
it's a hard one: a christmas story

>mfw i named my son calvin after this calvin
>>
>>70985641

You literally shitposted how you want to go stalk Bill Watterson and get his autograph because you feel some sort of "special connection." (spoiler alert, a lot of people like C&H).

Also, the only way to 100% authenticate a signature is to witness it occurring.
>>
>>70984896
Redwall went to his grave? Really?
>>
File: bw net.jpg (82 KB, 618x484) Image search: [Google]
bw net.jpg
82 KB, 618x484
>>
calvin will be a black girl and hobbes will struggle with 'identity' in general as a result of a written-in capacity for self awareness that betrays the actual character's selectively meta self-awareness; this will be parlayed into hobbes having issues with gender identity; both he and hobbes will be ostracized by their teacher, a white male with glasses and a beard. all of the moral parables and any semblance of political allegory will be replaced by scantly guised visual metaphors pertaining to popular social issues, maybe ethics in video game journalism. deadpool will tear through the 'strip' after the credits end, and say something funny like, "...must have made a wrong turn at zits!"
>>
>>70985751
What? I don't think we have a special connection- dude just lives near by and it would be easy to get an autograph from him. I just don't want to be weird and actually do it.
>>
>>70984803
Everyone has Calvin pissing on their window.
>>
>>70985968
Those are technically illegal but Watterson doesn't care enough to fight it.
>>
File: billwaterson.jpg (29 KB, 220x247) Image search: [Google]
billwaterson.jpg
29 KB, 220x247
>>70985890
>>
>>70985953

Go with your instincts then. Maybe Jim Davis will sign something for you.
>>
>>70985929
jdimsa.
>>
>>70985953
Not to burst your bubble, but Watterson does not do autographs

he did a few once in his hometown's bookstore, and found them on ebay weeks later. He was naturally disappointed/pissed, won't do autographs anymore
>>
>>70986219
Yeah, that's what I hear. He doesn't do autographs, interviews, or public appearances. It's really commendable artistically, except for the part where 200 years from now the only thing we'll have left of him is his art. I suppose there's something poetic about that, but I think you lose a lot of value by having that stance.
>>
if they ever make a movie i would boycott the shit out of it. he needs to make they dont ruin calvin and hobbes
>>
>>70986402
>commendable
interesting choice for a stand-in word for autistic
>>
>>70986402

>Implying there's a "value" to some cocktail napkin he scribbles his autograph on.

Seriously anon, he's a cartoonist. He made cartoons. Everything he's ever published is still in print and readily available for future generations. Quit overthinking it.
>>
>>70984896
Don't worry
disney always finds a way
>>
>>70986499
I don't think he's autistic, do you? The problem with questions like that is all we have to go on is what he's published autobiographically, which isn't much. It becomes like the argument of the true identity of Shakespeare , except that person is still alive and doesn't want to talk to anyone on the record. All we can do is speculate.
>>70986516
Who wants it on a cocktail napkin? It's okay if you don't value his work- you don't have to. But for future generations that do, it would be considerably important to have more than just the published text.
>>
>>70984803
So what, he retired in his late 30's and has just been dicking around and living off the royalties for the past 20 years?
>>
File: This does nothing.jpg (884 KB, 2700x1403) Image search: [Google]
This does nothing.jpg
884 KB, 2700x1403
>>70986889

I wholeheartedly enjoy Watterson's work. His commentary in the 10th Anniversary contains incredible insight. His publisher has archived his original sketches which can be turned into museum pieces.

Even if you got a wonderful autograph, nobody would ever consider it of any monetary or cultural value.
>>
File: unsafe area.png (85 KB, 270x187) Image search: [Google]
unsafe area.png
85 KB, 270x187
>>70986499
>draws a comic strip famed for its emotional depth and complexity
>autistic

i think you need to consult your dsm, anon
>>
A Calvin and Hobbes movie is something that I deeply miss having, even though I obviously never had it to begin with. Just one movie would be great, as long as Watterson was given full control over its production. Not too long ago I happened to reread his forward in the anniversary book, which was very well written, and it showed he had an incredible amount of passion for his beliefs, an overwhelming will to adhere to principle almost to a fault, for better or worse. And for that he deserves much respect from everyone.
>>
>>70984803
naw he'll have a trust set up that will insure the movie rights are never sold
>>
>>70985996
Holy shit that's a rare photo

There are like 2 photos of the guy on the entire Internet
>>
when I just want a calvin and hobbes movie I just watch Wilfred
>>
>>70988919
>wilfried is a rip off of Calvin and Hobbes
Just went from my, "do not intend to watch" list to my, "intend to not watch" list.
>>
>>70985890
Good.
>>
>>70988965
It's way worse but follows the same concept.
>>
Fuck.. Calvin and hobbes was so good bros, saving all my books for my kids.
>>
>>70984803
Pls no
>>
>>70984896
I loved Redwall when I was a kid, and when I grew up I realized that it was about race war and loved it even more.
>>
>>70985929
Shut. Your. Whore. Mouth.
>>
>>70991072
>tfw Outcast is an allegory about how you can't civilize "rats," and if you try you'll regret it.
>>
>>70991100
Yep.

Let's also not forget that Mariel is easily a 90th percentile female protag as well.

>Get left for dead after months of horrific abuse
>Recuperate in a idyllic fortress and get invited to stay
>Nah, fuck that
>I'm going to go kill everyone that wronged me and my family

I love the fact that there are almost no violence-dodging cop-outs anywhere - the protags are always perfectly willing to pull a Clegane and just murder the shit out of anyone who doesn't surrender and run.
>>
>>70985641
I live in the same town as Watterson and he actually gave me not only an autograph, but a signed picture of Hobbes.
Then he hugged me and said, "You're like the son I never had."
And I was truly happy for the first time in my life.
Then... and then Jessica was like, "Oh you're so cool, I want to make love to you."
And we made love for 8 hours.

This story makes more sense than bothering someone asking for their signature.
>>
File: 1463599258190.png (516 KB, 796x559) Image search: [Google]
1463599258190.png
516 KB, 796x559
>>70991444
>tfw you will never live in a volcano and kill pirates
>>
>>70992901
Living the dream.
>>
>>70984803
>Yfw you'll see his work bastardized on screen in your life time , likely soon after his death to cash in on "memorial" and "nostalgia"
I'm not ready for this and I doubt I'll ever be.
>>
It's a scary thought that there's probably not many people around today that can draw like him because it's all about either cgi, scaled down minimalism or japanese baby schema.
>>
>>70985890
Bullshit! Most of that has to be an estimated value of the rights to C&H.
>>
> Calvin will be gay for Hobbes
Why does even cartoons have to push agendas these days
>>
>>70989511
Thanks for reminding me. My niece needs some Calvin and Hobbes
>>
>>70984803
why the fuck are americans obsessed with this scratchy little comic strip? isn't it just one of those shit things they put in the back of the newspaper, like garfield or that one about that dog?
>>
>>70993574
obvious bait but it's the pinnacle of the artform imo. Garfield was good too back in the early days.
>>
>>70988636
o shit
youre not kidding
>>
>>70985391
what
hugging makes lots of sense
>>
File: an uncomfortable drive.jpg (33 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
an uncomfortable drive.jpg
33 KB, 480x640
>>70992184
>>
>>70985890

Holy shit he's actually Calvin's dad.
>>
>>70993453

Thats money from being in syndication all over the world in newspapers. Goldmine
>>
>>70988523

I hope this is true. C&H was designed to be a comic strip. Removing it from that would ruin it.
>>
>>70985371

http://www.pantsareoverrated.com/archive/2011/05/10/hobbes-and-bacon/
>>
>>70994664
There's no way a newspaper comic strip artist can make that kind of cash without merchandising (where the real money from the strip is made).
>>
File: jesus_w_gun_logo.png (121 KB, 877x805) Image search: [Google]
jesus_w_gun_logo.png
121 KB, 877x805
>>70995359
The books and car stickers that sold by the millions in the 90s
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.