[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Network Notes vs. Showrunners
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: twoBiggest.png (3 MB, 1292x1540) Image search: [Google]
twoBiggest.png
3 MB, 1292x1540
>The two most successful shows ever both had no network interference.
>geez, maybe you should try it again. Even once.
-Harry Shearer

What are you're thoughts on this? Discuss.
I'm paraphrasing Harry hear, but his basic sentiment was James L. Brooks and David and Seinfeld had freedom.
>>
those were simpler times when there were only 2 channels. also theres something called the internet that happened around 2005 which competitioned against tv and made it harder
>>
File: kramer2.jpg (103 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
kramer2.jpg
103 KB, 850x400
Seinfeld earned its freedom. Network producers forced the Jerry/Elaine relationship in the first season and Larry proved it was pointless and distracting by satirizing it while doing exactly what they asked. The writing proved the show was strong enough to stand on its own without a dramatic hook, producers had no choice but to fuck off.
>>
>>70951236
How did they get away with this?
>>
>>70951291
rhymes with peeing dewish
>>
>>70951221
>when there were only 2 channels
This.
>>70951236
And, as Seinfeld said on the Howard Stern show: it appealed to a high-income demographic during it's early, lean seasons

So even though the numbers were shit: advertisers still wanted the show.
>>
>>70951349

Michael Richards ain't Jewish, senpai.
>>
Throwing a spanner in the works here.
The reason why these are the only two shows with no network interference is because they are the only two that worked.

Talent is a precious, rare commodity.

So many "writers" and showrunners crow and complain about being restricted but the simple fact is if they were free they wouldn't even know what to do with it.

The fact is that the networks, through all of their Nielsen ratings and feedback from advertisers know what appeals to the audience.

They aren't the brain-dead dunderheads with no sense of taste, they are savvy, market attuned bussinesspeople who see past the mythology of the creative process and understand just how mechanical writing drama and comedy really is.

?
>>
>>70951901
If they were so talented they would have created a show that was better or as popular as seinfeld/the simpsons

Stop trying to justify your market research 'skill'

Consumers don't even know what they like before they discover it

Did people know they liked a cartoon about 3 kids and 2 parents in the 80s/90s?

Did people know they wanted to follow a jew around with his loser friends?

Did people know they wanted to watch incest and violence and dragons?
>>
>>70951944
Well how about their collective approving EVERY single other sitcom and franchise ever?

>Devil's Advocate here.
>>
>>70952116

But they controlled those products, the point of this therad is that the most popular shows werent controlled by executives

So youre actually agreeing that the market research executives suck ass at creating content
>>
>>70952180
>So youre actually agreeing that the market research executives suck ass at creating content

I didn't think I wrote down that opinion, but: yes that's what I think.

I'm searching for some counter arguments, but so far everything is leaning towards vindication of my beliefs.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.