[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Throughout all this Ghostbusters remake hullabaloo, where was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: recall and robocop2.jpg (273 KB, 1058x800) Image search: [Google]
recall and robocop2.jpg
273 KB, 1058x800
Throughout all this Ghostbusters remake hullabaloo, where was the hate train for the remakes of Robocop and Total Recall?

I felt like I was the only one that was truly livid that two classic Verhoeven movies were being tainted with boorishly CGI driven imitators, and still haven't seen either out of protest.

Yet, people were okay with Total Recall (despite the charisma vacuum that is Colin Farrell) and people even LIKED the new Robocop despite it lacking any good satire (A parody of Fox News and Bill O'Reilly? Oh my god this has never been done before!) and a fun but at the same time, plausibly gritty looking future (ED-209's in Iraq lmao)

So truly, why does the new Ghostbusters get the hate? Why the backlash against reboots now?
>>
>>70934767

The hate was shown in how they failed
>>
>>70934826
True
>>
>>70934767

I didn't watch either of those movies because they looked like shallow cashgrabs loosely based off properties I like. The same reason I won't be watching the new Ghostbusters.

Also, I remember there being plenty of hate for both of those movies when they were announced, especially after the previews came out. The only difference is that you weren't called a misogynist shitlord for hating them.
>>
>>70934826
How they failed and how quickly they were forgotten.
They were so shit that people didn't even bother getting angry about them.
>>
Based Verhoeven

fuck you PG-12 cuck faggots
>>
File: mfw (2).jpg (4 KB, 131x166) Image search: [Google]
mfw (2).jpg
4 KB, 131x166
>>70935149
>>70934767
You guys aren't missing anything.
They're both watered down, neutered, focus grouped rehashes made to pander to the widest possible pg-13 audience.
They looked slick, graphically speaking, but they didn't have that dirt and grime of the originals, and every character always looks like they just stepped out of a photoshoot.
They felt like soulless cash grabs, and i'm thankful neither one made enough to be considered for a sequel
>>
>>70934767

Robocop was a subpar soulless action movie, didn't see total recall.

On the other hand, Dredd was pretty based. Stallone's delivery in the original was too campy. How long before someone tries to remake Demolition Man?
>>
>>70934767
Neither of those movies hid their lack of creativity and contempt for the audience behind a social justice stunt.
>>
>>70934767
>people were okay with Total Recall

I still refuse to watch it

>people even LIKED the new Robocop

Most of the "positive" opinions fall on the "it was not as bad as I expected" category.
>>
>>70934767
>where was the hate train for Robocop
There was a whole load of butthurt at modernizing Robocop

I think that saying all female Ghostbusters got shat on extra hard before there was even any naterial out due to an anti-feminist backlash on top of it being a pointless remake(plus that female xomedians for the kost part are't funny to me as a man) but now that material is out it seems very unfunny and the backlash against any critics is obnoxious.
>>
Robocop was particularly unfortunate. It was cast well (I really like Joel Kinnaman, and Gary Oldman is almost always a good choice), and Jose Padilha was an excellent choice to direct, but all of the life was sucked out of it by studio executives. I remember reading an interview where Padilha talked about the process of making it, and having nine out of every ten ideas he came up with for the film shot down for being too risky. If he had had the same creative freedom as he did on the Tropa de Elite films, I imagine it would've been a great film, though maybe not the Robocop people remembered from their childhood.
>>
>>70934767
they both bombed horribly. So will ghostbusters if people are smart.
>>
>>70934767
Are you fucking kidding?

These movies were and still are shit on constantly.
>>
>>70936445
I think people are way too hard on remakes because they aren't the same thing as the otigibal, but imo that's the fault of the remake because then they should just dare to make a real sequel.
>>
i actually liked the total recall remake
i liked the city designs with all the layers, the action scenes were genuinely well filmed and designed, and kate beckinsale fucking killed it as vengeful fake wife terminator
>>
>>70934767
robocop and total recall were r-rated ultraviolence movies, where ghostbusters was a few sex jokes shy of being a family movie movie that became a franchise aimed at children

the nostalgic memories associated with ghostbusters are vastly different than the ones for the verhoeven movies
>>
File: 1442617346349.jpg (38 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
1442617346349.jpg
38 KB, 500x250
>>70934767
The fuck you talking about? Everyone was hating on these. Just clickbait sites weren't covering the hate cause no muh feminism.
>>
>>70935149
>you weren't called a misogynist shitlord for hating them

This
>>
>>70936701
>people were okay with Total Recall (despite the charisma vacuum that is Colin Farrell) and people even LIKED the new Robocop

Who?
Nobody here certainly did.
>>
>>70936791
ahem
>>70936521
>>
>where was the hate train for the remakes of Robocop and Total Recall?

all over the internet m8, including /tv/
>>
>>70936880

And yet his opinion would have been drowned out at the time the movies were released.
Hell, the trailers alone sparked plenty of outrage around here.

Regardless, I wouldn't say its as much hate as WombBusters, but the criticism for those movies wasn't also shot down as "manbaby whining".
Which, obviously, is going to make the criticizers more angry.
>>
Because those were shameful cash grabs while the new Ghostbusters is meant to make a progressive statement (i.e. create new markets to exploit.)
>>
Both of those movies were decent, I'd even go as far as saying that the Totall Recall remake is better than the Arnold flick.
OP is just having a classic case of
>muh nostalgia
>>
File: 1463858129703.jpg (4 MB, 1496x7784) Image search: [Google]
1463858129703.jpg
4 MB, 1496x7784
>>70934767
People gave both those movies shit and neither did all that well. However neither movie did what Girlbusters is doing and calling you a sexist piece of shit for not wanting to see it. That's a pretty solid way to keep people pissed off at your movie.

Otherwise the hate would have just petered out into general disinterest like it did for Robocop and Total Recall
>>
>>70936501
Odds are, if it's different, it goes against what the original stood for. If it's the same, why watch it if there is the original?
>>
>>70937110
Congrats on being a no taste cuck
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.