[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
To this day I still don't know what /tv/ really thought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 6
To this day I still don't know what /tv/ really thought of this movie overall.
>>
better than gravity
>>
>asking neo-/tv/ what /tv/ thinks of Interstellar
>>
>>70929679
So are most movies
>>
>>70929662
it's better than a lot of things

easily Nolan's best most ambitious film yet
>>
The consensus seems to be that it's all pretty good right until the third act with the whole love thing. I understand that sentiment, but the movie as a whole still impacts me in a good way. The harshest I've seen is people calling it "sentimental garbage".
>>
>>70929662
I didnt like it.
>>
>>70929956
>whole love thing
if that scene was edited out would the movie still work?
>>
>>70930142

yes
you can just explain it by use of multiple dimensions

the love bs doesn't need to be there
>>
>>70929662
it's not great, and as sci-fi its laughable.

people who like it just wanted a "realistic" space film by Nolan and were ready to like whatever he delivered.
>>
>>70929662
>nonsensical plot
>characters not acting like actual human beings
>characters suddenly knowing exactly what the plot demands they need to know
>nice score
I give it a 9/10 cause I'm a fucking idiot
>>
>>70929662
It's a Nolan film.
That means high budget, well-made, and willing to touch on deeper themes/ideas. It will not actually delve into the deeper themes/ideas however, and will pursue them only for as long as they are "cool".

It's not a bad movie by any means, but don't expect to be blown away by any grand revelation. I also have it on good recommendation that the movie becomes far more fun to watch when listening to surfing music.
>>
>>70930188
go watch a documentry then faggot
>>
Great visuals, laughable plot, bad acting.

Pretentious and shallow.
>>
>>70929956
>>70930142
>>70930163
and this is the perfect answer, OP.

>>70930196
kek. the movie has some of the worst dialogues I've seen in an moderately good movie, yet it's space shit so I love it.
>>
Its space kino
>>
>>70930274
>pretentious and shallow
man, every fucking time I read this in 4chin I imagine some fedora pretentious and shallow cunt
>>
better than 2001
>>
>>70929662
Was anyone weirded out by the fact that they forget about the guy who dies on the water planet immediately? There's no mention of him after Hawthway cries while the door closes.

Not to mention the inconsistency regarding Cooper being either the last or first name, with his son being named Coop Cooper.

It felt like it was written by multiple people who never interacted.
>>
Anyone here ever see got to see movie on IMAX? How was it? There weren't any IMAX screens in my area at the time.
>>
>>70930513
this is one of the few movies I've paid to see in IMAX, just because space movies always have great sound design.
>>
Nolan is a bad writer with interesting ideas and stories.
>>70930378
no
>>
>>70929662
BORING
>>
its probably my favorite movie ever, i just love the films aesthetic/music/emotional gravity. its so intense, i can eschew whatever continuity/scientific errors exist just to be immersed in the film

>>70930513
i saw it IMAX, it was one of the greatest experiences i've had
>>
>>70931974
Fuck. I hope Dunkirk delivers on the visuals and sound as much as Interstellar did because an IMAX screen just opened this week where I live.
>>
The film would not have been half as good without that god-tier zimmer score.
>>
>>70932826
I firmly believe the score is the only reason anyone thinks the movie was good at all.

Shit even gets me going. But once it stops I'm back to thinking about how retarded everyone is acting and how and how idiotic absolutely everything is.
>>
One of the best in the last decade.
>>
4K Blu-Ray when?
>>
>>70932913
never.

all the CGI was mastered at 2K.
>>
I loved it up until Coop suddenly knew who the aliens were and started explaining it for no reason

I also didn't need him to explain that it was love that transcends space and time to deliver the message, because it was obvious from what was happening onscreen and in the plot

but explaining the aliens, especially in a manner that was a clear asspull where the character had no reason to know the explanation, was dumb and unnecessary and actually pissed me off.

I didn't want to know who the aliens were! why ruin the mystery?
>>
File: 1459190845801.png (37 KB, 1127x685) Image search: [Google]
1459190845801.png
37 KB, 1127x685
It was pretty good
acting was pretty shit tho and the the ice planet part is completely pointless and shit
Contact is just this movie but better, it even had Matthew
>>
>>70929662
pretty fuggin good

scifi film of the decade
>>
File: its not necessary.jpg (368 KB, 1917x893) Image search: [Google]
its not necessary.jpg
368 KB, 1917x893
>>70929662
>>
great visuals, great score, shit writing, bad plot
>>
CGI-laden fedora-tier railroad shitfist

>that cheese line where they worked in the movie title
>the "scientific accuracy" of theoretical bullshit, like any of you have a firm enough grasp of the material to care
>that hamfisted and totally shoehorned love story to cater to females

Decent OST though. That m83 song makes for some nice night drives
>>
saw this in the cinema three times. absolutely worth it imo. my favorite film from 2014
>>
I mean just look at this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsTBbAMikPQ

the movie handle the science vs faith thing much better and has better cinematography, pacing, acting etc
>>
Movie was 10/10 until Murph grew up.

Then it dropped to 8/10 until the "love transcends space and time" bullshit, then it's a 5/10
>>
>>70932944
but if love transcends time and space being in a construct built from love for love would make it obvious who the aliens were
>>
>>70929662
it's nolan. it's shit
>>
>>70930378
No.

But this movie was pretty damn good. Space is awesome.
>>
>>70930513
Absolute best cinema experience of my life. Audio visual candy.

Rewatching the blu ray after felt like a completely different movie. Some movies really need to be experienced in the cinema to "work"
>>
>>70932944
>I didn't want to know who the aliens were! why ruin the mystery?

Amerifag audiences think mystery is a loose end and therefore a fail. It's as if they don't like thinking for themselves.
>>
>>70932944
Coop knowing who the aliens were made sense when operating under the assumption that love has whatever power they assigned it
>>
no TARS or CASE sex scene so a 5/10 at best.
>>
It was nonsensical garbage.
>>
>>70933126
>>70933269
A father's love for his daughter is the perfect vessel by which to transmit data out of a black hole, therefore the aliens are future humans who evolved into 5th-dimensional beings!

no, it was stupid, and it shouldn't have been in the movie.
>>
>>70933314
oh
now i get it
>>
>>70929662
It was mindfuck to be honest. It was cool though.
>>
>>70933314
Coop's thought process - "It's because of love that I can find Murph, only humans can experience love for other humans, therefore it must be humans who led me to her, and in order to do this , these humans must have evolved to a higher dimension" sure it doesn't make sense in actuality but under their flawed logic its not a hard chain to follow
>>
The whole movie works but if I side with the contrarians for a second I can see how the love thing was actually out of place in a action thriller like this, which never hits any of that emotional highs it tries to sentiment, just the space log scene but that was its own rising action thing and not quite the check mate it should've been for the love thing. Although it was super subtle and therefore inappropriate, the message still works even if you have to think about it, and the second that watch started moving on earth I nearly had a tear in my eye, which is closest I've come to in a movie
>>
>>70929662
>To this day I still don't know what /tv/ really thought of this movie overall.
First time I saw it was great.
Went in only knowing it was a Nolan film. Didn't even watch the trailer. Spectacular.
However.
Didn't have much in terms of repeated viewings other than "I know what this means now." shit.

Best hard sci fi film of 2010's... so far.
>>
>>70929662
You're watching it and it's a big spectacle and really emotional and captivating
a week later you realize all the flaws and like it less but overall it was still a good experience
>>
>>70933314
How edgy must you be to call that stupid. And it wasn't like radio patterns sent into her ear on how to master gravity, it was a nudge in the direction where the message would come through, a seemingly broken watch. I wish it was played more like that honestly, but this was for the normies after all. Personally I would've omitted the whole encoding readings from a black hole to murph, and tried to play it off like he just transmitted I love you and she just had a eureka moment etc, but of course people would consider her a Mary Sue then...
>>
>>70933667
"a human emotion is a fundamental force of the universe" is pretty stupid no matter how you dress it up.
>>
Something I never hear people talk about is this:

There's a world where an unknown blight is killing all the crops and continues to get worse. The path the world takes is to somehow convince everyone that we never traveled to space and to convince everyone that science is stupid?

Why wouldn't the focus be on improving scientific research and shoveling all of our man power into finding a solution to the blight or advancing in space flight enough that we can all leave the planet?
>>
>>70933740
So I'm guessing xmen movies must fly right over your head
>>
>>70931974
>its probably my favorite movie ever,
How the fuck can someone say a movie like this is their favorite film ever?

Clearly this person is under the age of 20. A film will change in your perception the more time goes on. You love that aesthetic because that's what's fucking popular and trendy NOW. Give it time to see if that shit won't be laughably out of style. This goes for everything about a film. The camera work, the actors, acting style, designs, sound, effects, fucking everything.

So of course you're going to be impressed. It's new.
>>
>>70933824
Plus, your statement is saying this movie means love=gravity like you missed the whole part where he falls into a tesseract that's constructed out of what, love? The movie tries it's hardest to paint love as simply a timeless feeling that actually exists way into the future which our future ancestors can recognize and act upon what it tells them, not as some force that actually creates gravity waves.
>>
>We can terraform some other planet because earth is fucked
Why don't you terraform earth?
>>
I guess the short of this thread is that this is actually an alien movie, that tries to fix a timeline for non aliens that see time linearly.
>>
>>70932944
The aliens themselves are fucking retarded. Oh no there are fifth dimensional beings that apparently have the technology to open worms holes and help us out of our situation...

If they have that technology and control of space and time then why not just fucking save us directly for fuck's sake. Why go about it in the most retarded way imaginable? Why create the tesseract allowing him to communicate with himself? Why not just go to earth, cure the blight(which is retarded itself) and be all "hey yeah you're going to be us one day cool right?"
>>
>>70933994
you're probably right, it won't be my favorite movie when I'm in my 40s but i love it right now
>>
>>70930513
Was worth every penny in imax
>>
>>70933804
It's a commentary on the classes of America, where bleeding edge knowledge and your self determination to reach it is what determines which class of people you settle into. The whole scene with him getting angry about the revisionist shit in school is what hints at how people in general keep a cap on things by boiling the real causes out of the truth, and sets up the fact that he goes lookin for shit for a reason and that he is fit for that class of knowledge.
>>
>>70933994
This is some really edgy shit. How cucked must you be to have the time to observe trends and attach yourself to them for some future merit like you were right all the time? Go back to /pol/ or at least get out of the /kino/
>>
>>70934268

That might be the most retarded/nonsensical thing that I've ever seen.

It's a commentary on the classes of America? How is that the case when it's saying the opposite of what Americans are taught? Which is that we're so star spangled awesome we can do whatever we want?
>>
>>70929662
It was okay

Most of Nolan's major problems were all still there:
- intentionally confusing narrative to mask sloppy plot devices
- unrealistic character motivations
- use of talented actors to add depth to plastic characters
- shallow philosophy and science delivered in a portentous manner
- attempts at Sorkin-esque dialogue, but lacking the rhythm and punchlines

Hated the documentary framing device and the lazy paradox of aliens being future humans. Thought the entire concept of a tesseract that coincidentally resembled the bedroom, created solely for McConaughey's character to send messages to the past when he fell through space, was cheap. Hated Matt Damon's character collapse. Hated the Apollo 13 "inspiration."

However, the visual effects and several individual scenes were extremely well-done, and most of the film was entertaining. Many times even evocative. The acting was fantastic, these are all talented people. Even when I thought in my head that what was happening was stupid, I often still felt tension and awe, and that counts for a lot. The art design was great and the shots were beautifully composed. The camerawork was much improved from Nolan's TDK series.

I'd give it a 6.5/10, maybe even a 7.
>>
>>70933667
i didn't mind the actual sending of the message via the watch. i actually really liked it. the idea of coop and murph's love being the connection that saved humanity was a beautiful idea

but actually explaining it, especially that ass pull with the aliens, was dumb and bad. as soon as he started saying "don't you get it TARS? they're us!" I went from loving interstellar and being totally engrossed in this emotional moment to being totally out of the film

i think christopher nolan's biggest weakness as a director is that he doesn't trust his skills enough to trust that the audience can understand things without being spoon-fed with overly expository dialogue. for nolan, it's not enough to show coop using the tessaract to observe his relationship with Murph, have an emotional breakdown over how much he hurt her and misses her, and then has the eureka moment to send her the data over the watch. nolan then has to have coop explain it in dialogue, when there was no need because the movie already told us everything we needed to know through the actions of the characters and the staging of the sequence

but i could deal with that. i'm sure he liked having those speeches about love. i get it, i'm a bit sentimental

but explaining the aliens, even if his reasoning made sense to him as flawed as it was, just felt like taking a giant shit all over the movie. there was no reason to explain it in the lame and half-assed way they did, other than maybe some studio exec said "well, won't audiences be confused if they don't know who the aliens were?" even worse would be if nolan himself decided to put that in there. stupid, stupid, stupid. there was no reason for that line to be in the movie.
>>
>>70934427
Because subversion is the only thing left in the world he's set up, which does not recognize armed conflicts, or the old school way of saying things. Cooper doesn't take shit because he belongs to a higher class of Americans that are self deterministic and refuse to farm themselves into straight oblivion, as dismal as it sounds he can tell the govt knows something else, and clearly his daughter becomes an engineer and saves the world.
>>
>>70934660

This is moronic.

Why in the world does the government want to make people dumber as opposed to develop everyone as fully as possible so that they can develop a way to stop the blight or get off planet?

I have to imagine this is bait because it's such a horrible explanation.
>>
File: 1466187257339.jpg (114 KB, 970x880) Image search: [Google]
1466187257339.jpg
114 KB, 970x880
>>70929662
only liked it because of the jailbait. otherwise it was okay. worth watching but the ending sucks.
>>
>>70934453
I gotta agree even though I fell for the movie and gave it a 9/10. I think the short way of putting it is some of the moving parts don't quite work so well and do not branch out from the message, muddled.
>>
A festering pile of ogre shit.
>>
>>70934761
Why didn't just hitler feed the Jews instead of his army and make mega Jews? You miss the point where everyone tried that and the world is at a point where it's losing hope, and beginning to revise the books in order to refocus their survival strategy. It's the general problem with any central planning, which almost always pushes till just short of the goal.
>>
>>70930378
T R I G G E R E D
>>
>>70929662
I liked it more than any other attempt at NASA kino since 2010

despite that smelly moment about

L O V E
O
V
E
>>
File: Fat ogre shit.jpg (7 KB, 234x250) Image search: [Google]
Fat ogre shit.jpg
7 KB, 234x250
>>
>>70929679
This is not an achievement.

Interstellar is alright, it has good visuals and some great dramatic scenes, but why is Nolan so afraid of sadness? He had to put a dozen happy endings because he doesn't have the balls to leave it at that. Same thing he did in TDKR and all that "lol, batman is alive anyways".
>>
>>70929679
Wrong
>>
Can someone please explain to me how solving the gravity equation did anything to stop the blight?

How were they able to grow food on those giant spacestations? Where did they get blight-free atmosphere to be able to grow crops while they were on route to the wormhole?
>>
>>70933285
You think Anne Hathaway ever pleasures herself with TARS?

in my imagination right now while I'm fapping yes
>>
>>70937991
>Can someone please explain to me how solving the gravity equation did anything to stop the blight?

It did nothing to stop the blight, it provided the means to escape Earth.

>How were they able to grow food on those giant spacestations?

Are you fucking serious?

>Where did they get blight-free atmosphere to be able to grow crops while they were on route to the wormhole?

Blight isn't a property of air, it is a fungal infection that can be spread through air, spores can be filtered out or attacked with chemicals.
>>
>>70929956

The third act also included the hilariously clumsy astronaut fistfight.
>>
>>70929662

/tv/ doesn't do "consensus." That's kind of the point. So there's no "what did /tv/ think of this???" you're gonna get different answers from different people, because that's how taste works
>>
File: we agreed bane, 50 50.jpg (264 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
we agreed bane, 50 50.jpg
264 KB, 1280x720
It was alright. There's a lot of Nolan's ability to make beautiful scenes on display but the movie suffers from a really poorly planned script.
>>
Surprised no one made mention of the scene where Anne Hathaway shits in her space s suit. It was very controversial at the time
>>
I appreciated it being a big hollywood film that wasn't scared to include real physics and use it as a plot mechanic(mainly time dilation). It's a shame he felt a need to shove in total bullshit about love to pander to plebs who think titanic is an example of masterful storytelling.
>>
>>70939411
If they could remove the spores so easily than why would they need to leave Earth? I just feel that's a weak part of the plot in general. The Blight is such a vague plot device.
>>
8/10 craft, 3/10 story
>>
>>70937402
>Batman is alive anyways
Wasn't it Alfred's hallucination?
>>
>>70939632
Does this actually happen because I'd watch it for that.
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.