[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Throughout all this Ghostbusters remake hullabaloo, where was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: recall and robocop2.jpg (273 KB, 1058x800) Image search: [Google]
recall and robocop2.jpg
273 KB, 1058x800
Throughout all this Ghostbusters remake hullabaloo, where was the hate train for the remakes of Robocop and Total Recall?

I felt like I was the only one that was truly livid that two classic Verhoeven movies were being tainted with boorishly CGI driven imitators, and still haven't seen either out of protest.

Yet, people were okay with Total Recall (despite the charisma vacuum that is Colin Farrell) and people even LIKED the new Robocop despite it lacking any good satire (A parody of Fox News and Bill O'Reilly? Oh my god this has never been done before!) and a fun but at the same time, plausibly gritty looking future (ED-209's in Iraq lmao)

So truly, why does the new Ghostbusters get the hate? Why the backlash against reboots now?
>>
/tv/ and most people won't admit it, but it really is the women
>>
>>70924626
People wanted a Ghostbusters sequel with the original cast.
Even Mad Max: Fury Road copped a lot of flak before it was released but that ended up being a great movie that had great trailers.
Ghostbusters just looks like an awful Melissa McCarthy movie.
>>
JUUST
>>
>>70924626
People were mad about those, but not so vocal because they weren't forcing people to like it. No toys, no talk show appearences, no directors that were pissed at people who didn't want to see it and basically no attitude by the publishers and the cast that those movies were going to be the next big thing.
>>
>>70924626
Anon, I get your opinion but don't be all mad when people like the new Robocop if you haven't seen it.

To be faire the Robocop remake was not that bad but just not that good either, it didn't bring anything new to the table, the PG13 violence didn't help.
The scene were Murphy is only a head and a pair of lungs was bretty good tho.

Anyway, if you think people started to hate reboot with the Ghostbusters you're lying to yourself, people went mad when The Amazing Spider-man was announced if you want an early case of people hating a reboot. People went mad at Star Trek too
There were a lot of threads regarding the Robocop reboot, especially around the all black suit. The director had a nice record so there was a little bit more faith in it maybe than the Ghostbusters.

The trailers looks horrible, the cast is litteraly people from SNL, some with no movie experience and it looks like most of them are phoning it in, the Director has never proven himself to be able to make a serious movie with comedies element to it, it's just pure rude comedy.
The latest trailers features a dick joke and a fart joke. And they have the nerves to say that the first Ghostbusters was too cartoonish and they were doing their own thing.
And on top of that, that whole fake controversy got everyone pissed because it's common practice to shit on reboots, you shit on it and move on but they did not accept it and decided that it was because men and especially nerds are sexists and people don't like to be insulted so it turned into a shitshow.

Ben Hur 2016 will be released soon and nobody fucking cared, it looked bad so people moved on.
>>
File: 1464959377973.jpg (78 KB, 750x501) Image search: [Google]
1464959377973.jpg
78 KB, 750x501
Those movies weren't pushing an agenda, nor were the people involved directly taunting/insulting the fanbase of the originals.
>>
people did

they just weren't called misogynists and racists for it
>>
>>70924626
I've bitched about all these. The better the movie the more offensive I find the idea of remaking it.

Robocop and Ghostbusters were really great movies with no need for a remake.

What makes things worse is when people don't understand what made them good the first time try to redo it.

Hollywood is out of ideas and just cashing in the nostalgia people seem obsessed with and it's all just awful.
>>
I DON KNOW IF ITS A RACE THANG OR A LADY THANG, BUT I MAD AS HEALLLL!

>10/10 movie of the year!
>>
>>70924626
>where was the hate train for the remakes of Robocop and Total Recall?

Personally, I was just as against those I was this. I can't speak for others, though.
>>
File: jessica-biel.jpg (76 KB, 337x616) Image search: [Google]
jessica-biel.jpg
76 KB, 337x616
>>70924626
D R O P P E D
>>
Total Recall was amazing in the kinotorium. No biel butt but still great
>>
>>70926126
>No biel butt but still great

Woo, stopping that download
>>
>>70926249
Watch it fämäläm
>>
>>70926323
famalam
>>
>>70924626
robocop remake was really bland and boring although this scene was pretty fucking goat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXOhIJg4B7k

i wish there was more of this
>>
>>70924626
Cared more about the Total Recall remake than the other 2 which, either I became blasé about or I never really liked that much to begin with. It also seems like K Dick adaptations are more reasonable to be remade since they weren't exactly original to begin with.

Still think it's a horrible habit and at worst some adaptations are utterly devoid of merit nearly intrinsically. Then again I won't lie and say I disliked the Coens' True Grit.

Also, I reckon Ghostbusters is a lot more popular than these. Probably more than the 2 put together. You had to be there- it created a marketing avalanche the likes of Star Wars or T2. It was big.
>>
There was plenty of hate when they came out. That was a years ago, why would we still be bitching about them now when we have new movies to bitch about?
>>
File: still_006.jpg (975 KB, 3504x2336) Image search: [Google]
still_006.jpg
975 KB, 3504x2336
>>70925944
P I C K E D
U P
>>
Biel detected.
>>
There was tons of it but Sony wasn't actively throwing kindling into the fire.

Ghostbusters is coming out in an election year, politically charged and it's a Sandler tier comedy.

It's basically rocket fuel so of course the fire is burning as hot as it is.
>>
>>70924626

there was hatefests for both of these but as other anons have said there was no obnoxious backlash from the parties who made them like there has been with roastbusters
>>
Because people know Paul Feig's Ghostbusters will be legitimately good, so they lash out in fear and try to destroy it. Everyone knew the Total Recall and RoboCop remakes would be forgettable.
>>
>>70925044
This. We didn't have the sjw push back like we have with Ghostbusters. If they made the new Robocop a woman you can bet your ass the situation would be similar.
>>
File: Total-Recall_320.jpg (31 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Total-Recall_320.jpg
31 KB, 320x240
TR is worth a watch.

It's pretty aesthetic.
>>
>>70927947

>Mass Effect garbage

yay
>>
The Robocop franchise was already in dire straits when it was eventually rebooted.

A shit third movie and a terrible tv series.

Total Recall did get a bit of stick mainly because its less to do with TR and its mainly a rip off of Minority Report and Bladerunner
>>
There wouldn't be a pushback against Ghostbusters if not for them calling everyone who didn't like the trailer or details misogynists.
>>
>>70924706

This was one of the earliest promos so you're not wrong, but I can see why people took issue.
>>
>>70924717
>People wanted a Ghostbusters sequel with the original cast.
Plebs did. Everyone else remembers the ghostbuster sequel with the original cast that no one liked.

Just do what i do and pretend that the frighteners is ghostbusters 3.
>>
>Looks like these will suck
>Hehe yeah

That's literally it, people stated that it's going to be shit and went on. Now considering ghostbusters

>This gonna suck
>HOW DARE YOU, YOU CIS SCUM WHITE MALES SHOULD BE CASTRATED

You see OP you're full of shit.
>>
>>70924626
Both those movies would have been much better if they just called them anything besides total recall or robocop.

I am of the opinion that a reboot or remake should have its first priority as justifying its own existence.
>>
RC was quite alright ignoring the terribly writen relationship part and reading between the lines for all other htemes it cut on.
TR was such a confusing mess nobody even wants to open that can of worms.
>>
Now that I think about it, the TMNT got z HUGE backlash, first because it was said they were aliens (and they even went and changed the script)
And then because of the Turtles' design

Every 'geek'media outlet out there shat on their designs and on Bay.

They never insulted their audiences however.
>>
You're wrong that no one hated the Robocop remake. There were plenty of threads about how bad it was going to be/ended up being. People lost their shit when pictures leaked of the black suit.

You're lying to make a point by saying people liked the new Robocop. It was universally seen as pointless and dull. Just because you can find one person out there who liked it doesn't mean anything.

Total Recall no got worked up about because people aren't that passionate about the original. It's nowhere near the level of popularity of Ghostbusters or even Robocop, and not as iconic.
>>
Were you even around for threads about those two movies from their announcement to their release? They got nothing but hate all the way through. They just had no defense force to strengthen that hate by accusing everyone who disliked them of being bigots, and the people who made those movies didn't insult the audience. Also, those movies didn't have godawful trailers.
>>
>>70924626
fuck off cunt at least total recall had a great soundtrack
>>
>>70924626
The thing about those two movies is the cast and director didn't attack the audience for not liking it
>>
>>70928462
>frighteners

That movie is pretty good imo.
>>
If you need anymore evidence that people hate reboots just look at how the trailer for the new McGyver and the new Lethal Weapon shows were received
>>
>>70929365
Or any critic that said "why these actors" and "whats besides a gimmik it is giving us 4 female lead characters"
They dont add any more depht.
As this was adressed, the "misgonic" threat from actors and director was throwninto the ring.
>>
>>70931257
Look at Star wars VII how many were unpleased that it felt too much as a reboot. Only because it was a sequel the outcry was rather low.
>>
>>70924626
I can't complain with Biel on Beckinsale Violence.
>>
>>70924626
>>>70924626
>People were mad about those, but not so vocal because they weren't forcing people to like it. No toys, no talk show appearences, no directors that were pissed at people who didn't want to see it and basically no attitude by the publishers and the cast that those movies were going to be the next big thing.

Fucking this, it's all Sony and Paul Fag getting pussy pounded that people don't want a new, modern comedy version of Ghostbusters.
>>
>>70929101
They even threw in "No, they're not aliens. That's stupid" in the film just to wink at the audience.
>>
>>70924626
> every 80's movie remake/reboot gets vilified out of principle and even the decent ones are still pointless
> but Ghostbusters is okay because WOMEN! and saying anything about it makes you a sexist pig

this is the future you chose
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.