[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the dust has settled
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: UC_Poster_for_store_800x800-2.png (355 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
UC_Poster_for_store_800x800-2.png
355 KB, 800x800
Thoughts on this movie? Primer? How about Carruth in general? Brilliant psychedelia or contrived trash?
>>
>>70882999
only saw this of his. complete trash. weird for weird's sake. thinks he has a message but doesn't. stupid pretentious garbage.
>>
>>70882999
Primer is a shit movie but a good puzzle

Upstream Color is definitely better, not a GREAT movie but it's nice to see someone try something different in terms of complexity, like, not spoonfed

that's all i have to say, not particularly amazing but interesting enough to watch his next stuff
>>
>>70883092
To be honest I actually really enjoyed Primer as a film but I couldn't put my finger on why, whereas I also really liked UC (although a bit less than Primer) and I had tactile stuff to point to that I appreciated.

I think the abstract parts and technicality of Primer is handled better than in UC, but UC is miles ahed as far as characters and world building go
>>
Primer is a respectable sci-fi experiment. Not much of a sense of aesthetics or character depth, but the execution is fine.

UC is awful. It has some pretty shots but it comes way short of having intellectual merit, which it clearly desires to possess. There's nothing to gain from watching it, not on any human, intellectual, emotional level. It feels like an engineer trying to field through why people make art movies, instead of a serious attempt to make art.

People praise UC saying things like 'you're not supposed to understand it, but feel it' and 'it doesn't explain things' and 'don't expect it to make sense' and 'if you don't like being baffled, avoid it,' and 'you have to watch it a few times to get it' and etc., which while all of these are elements of many a great movie, they don't automatically make a movie great.

Plus I wish Carruth would stop starring in his own films. As if he's the only actor who could understand his material. Proves he doesn't look at film as a collaborative act. Which, if that's the case, he should just write books.
>>
Upstream colour is one of the most beautiful, challenging movies I have ever watched
>>
>>70882999
i thought it was good. way better than primer.
>>
I think Primer edges out UC a little bit but they're both great.
>>
>>70883030
>weird for weird's sake
go back to redit cuck
>>
Love them both.

UC felt like Terrence Malick doing sci-fi.
>>
Shane is a great guy. Definitely proves that auteurship is feasible. He puts a ton of work into projects that he knows are niche and won't bring in as much praise as they deserve. I always have based Shane's back

Also:
Upstream Color > Primer
>>
Upstream Color was more forgettable than Primer, but UC was the better made film. Another anon already stated>>70884090 that the film felt mechanistic. I felt the same way but couldn't find the exact word to describe it. I might check it out in another 20 years to see how its aged. I want to see him make movies like Another Earth and I, Origins, or even Coherence. It might do him better to go in that direction, especially with a STEM back round.
>>
>>70884090
what's there to understand? Most of the movie is pretty straightforward. Primer is 10x more convoluted that UC.
>>
>>70886289
I'm only repeating what others say when praising the film. Scroll through IMDB reviews or mubi comments and it's nothing but 'it's a real headscratcher, but that's why it's great!'
>>
>>70886330
Hmm, I really enjoyed it because I thought Carruth did an incredible job telling the story mostly through imagery. There's probably directors who've done better, but I thought it was especially potent.
>>
>>70884090
>As if he's the only actor who could understand his material. Proves he doesn't look at film as a collaborative act. Which, if that's the case, he should just write books.

You're really naive bruv
>>
I loved Primer.

Didn't understand Upstream Color. The ending felt really stupid. What was the film all about?
>>
>>70882999

I just couldn't stand Amy Seimetz
Something about her face, her expression..pissed me off the whole movie.
>>
Good flick, not as good as it could have been but then again A Topiary was never going to actually happen. An obvious stopgap. Love Primer. Carruth is doing God's work, one of the only Welles-types at the moment. The Modern Ocean, even just from the bits and pieces I've heard about it, could just as well be on cruise control for him and anyone involved and still one of the best movies ever made. The guy Steve Gaghan wanted to be.
>>
>>70886404
Please help me to understand UC.
>>
>>70882999
Some of the best subtle sci-fi this side of the millennium.
>>
>>70882999
Carruth is a genius, anyone who's read A Topiary can see that. Upstream Color is an incredibly beautiful film, and it makes me sad that people write it off as "weird for weird' sake". That's so clearly not the case, if nothing else, see it as an original take on a romance story. The concepts of audio in UC are fascinating and overall it's an emotional film. Why would someone make something weird just to do it? Are the people who think this the type to write Malick off as pretentious? Carruth puts so much care into his work, and regardless of if his films connect, you have to respect his outright creativity and amazing talent
>>
>>70884090

Maybe there are some points here, but they're mean-spirited points.
>>
>>70890321
A Topiary is my favorite script ever. You actually feel like something is being touched on that you can't explain.
>>
>>70888346
You can force your story's shape but the color will always bloom upstream.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.